• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

Arkeband

Banned
PS4 version looks like a dream come freakin true

3DS version looks pretty great too. Gotta love the dual style

55CB5FDD464ACA001A

HNNNNGGGGG

still hate the characters clothing color palette though. seriously, purple and booger green? why?

If you look at the logo of the game, it's got a purple dragon holding the Ball of Light, and there's supposed to be some connection between this game and the original 3.

If you put two and two together, there's a fairly good chance that
your protagonist is the eventual Dragonlord.

AgeEighty

Another DQVIII shot for reference:

583527_20051114_790screen004_zpsb3a444b8.jpg

Same exact style between characters and background as the DQXI shots. Just less detail because it's an eleven year old PS2 game.

Bloodrage

Banned
I disagree. The PS4 environments have the same bright look to them, and the characters are shaded in practically the same way. There's a lot more detail; that's it.

EDIT: Look at the first shot in the OP. The rocks in the foreground have a cel-like outline to them, and that tree in the center has a very cartoony look to it. It fits with the characters perfectly IMO, and is very much like the style in DQVIII.
Agreed. More detailed =/= less stylized.

Aeana

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The 3DS version is clearly more abstracted and fits better with the character and enemy artwork imo.

Again, I totally disagree.

Look at the dungeon shot. It looks straight-up like a WRPG dungeon with cel-shaded cartoon characters laid on top of it.

There is real transparent water pooling on the floor and UE generated fire burning on the wall for chrissakes

I don't agree with that at all. The environments are clearly stylized. They look more similar to the CG from DQ9 and 10 than anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TeBK4Gbgig

If you look at the logo of the game, it's got a purple dragon holding the Ball of Light, and there's supposed to be some connection between this game and the original 3.

That would be fucking awesome.

AgeEighty

Look at the dungeon shot. It looks straight-up like a WRPG dungeon with cel-shaded cartoon characters laid on top of it.

There is real transparent water pooling on the floor and UE generated fire burning on the wall for chrissakes

You're trying to tell me you think that rocky outdoor shot looks like straight-up realism? Did you actually look at it? Come on.

Even the dungeon shot is stylized. Look at the bricks; they have a slightly cartoony texture and a saturated yellow color you would not find in a game going for photorealistic environments. The fire and reflection effects are not out of place.

If the Nx version is the same as the ps4 version, then an NX/3DS bundle is more likely lol. No way will they release a bundle consisting of a ps4 and a 3DS game.

I want whatever they bring here. Not an importer and I don't speak or read Japanese.

hell yes

BumRush

The fact that this hasn't been definitively announced as coming west is worrying. When pressed, they said "we aren't sure yet" (paraphrasing)

inner-G

Banned
You're trying to tell me you think that rocky outdoor shot looks like straight-up realism? Did you actually look at it? Come on.

Even the dungeon shot is stylized. Look at the bricks; they have a slightly cartoony texture and a saturated yellow color you would not find in a game going for photorealistic environments. The fire and reflection effects are not out of place.
Are you telling me that the dungeon looks as stylized as the characters?

To each his own.

The 3DS version is of the visual style that feels like Dragon Quest to me, much like the PS2 version of VIII.

The UE4 look just doesn't mesh well with Toriyama's assets imo, and it looks off.

AgeEighty

The fact that this hasn't been definitively announced as coming west is worrying. When pressed, they said "we aren't sure yet" (paraphrasing)

Every company says that until they're ready to make an announcement. And they can't just make that announcement any time they want to; there are deals to line up and business entanglements to address.

We always get the numbered releases in the West, except for X because it's an MMO. And as many have pointed out, it doesn't make a lot of sense to put the game on PS4 in Japan only, where that system hasn't exactly set the country on fire in sales. I wouldn't worry too much.

AgeEighty

Are you telling me that the dungeon looks as stylized as the characters?

No, I'm telling you the dungeon looks stylized in a way that complements the characters, exactly the same way DQVIII's environments did. You're saying there's some huge contrast there that wasn't there with the older game, and that's just not the case.

Backgrounds in cartoons are very often more detailed than the characters themselves. Look at the painted backgrounds in a Looney Tunes short, or most anime, or any classic Disney film from the '30s or '40s. They all put flat-colored characters against lushly detailed backgrounds. This game's backgrounds are just as style-appropriate as those ones are.

Fou-Lu

I really don't want this to happen, and I feel like it's a pretty big stretch anyway. I am okay with the games being related, but I certainly don't want my character to become
that loser, the Dragonlord.

Haldinian

The two styles are nice. I was a little disappointed when they said that the dual-screen gameplay is only for the first part of the game in the 3DS version, but I want to play both.

I only hope they don't mess it up with this DQ and localize the 3DS version (the PS4 one it's a sure bet).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Both versions look amazing, gonna be hard to choose :/

if they ever release them here

Hastati

Another DQVIII shot for reference:

583527_20051114_790screen004_zpsb3a444b8.jpg

Same exact style between characters and background as the DQXI shots. Just less detail because it's an eleven year old PS2 game.

DQVIII holds up pretty well! They seem to be adamant about sticking to the same style forever, and I'm glad. It looks really great at higher resolutions/levels of fidelity.

F4r0_Atak

My God, the PS4 version looks unreal. With many other franchises going more modern (nothing wrong with that), it's great to see DQ sticking to that traditional vibe

I saw what you did there. The PS4 version definitely looks great, based on the screens released so far!!

You guys know it won't look that good right?

Life isn't nice like that.

Beside the fact that Japanese devs aren't too keen on bullshots normally, Armor project or whatever studio who's working on the PS4 version, are using Unreal engine 4. That engine alone can easily help reach this level of details and visuals, so it's not impossible that DQ XI will look like that. Take also into consideration that Kingdom Hearts 3 is also using UE4, so SE seems like they are already getting accustomed to UE4 and its numerous perks. Furthermore, Batman Arkham Knight was developed on a modified version UE 3 and it is one of the the best looking games, if not the best looking so far, so imagine what kind of advantages could UE 4 bring to DQ XI I terms lighting systems, textures, etc.

They both look amazing for the hardware they're running on. I still have doubts the 3DS version will make it over here, but at least the PS4 version has a guaranteed localization. I'd love to play both though. They look different enough that they'll still feel like two completely different games to me.

Dark_castle

Although I'm incredibly excited for the game, the PS4 version does look a little off. The environment looks fairly photorealistic while the character and enemies model are cartoony. Maybe they should give the environment some cel-shading or slightly more stylized art style.

Maybe I'm the only one underwhelmed with the PS4 shots.

Looks too shiny & I don't dig the art style, nor the horrific blurry effects in the town/field shot. Those enemies in the battle screen look terribly out of place, honestly that's a borderline embarassing screenshot imo!

DQVIII style was wayyyyy better.

Will still buy it Day Zero though as I'm sure it'll end up fun.

I really don't want this to happen, and I feel like it's a pretty big stretch anyway. I am okay with the games being related, but I certainly don't want my character to become
that loser, the Dragonlord.

I'm with you. I've never seen/read/played a prequel that I was super thrilled about. They always have writing issues and usually deal with characters I don't care about.

And the whole knowing where it ends thing.

Top Bottom