• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

Bloodrage

Banned
DQ11 is confirmed for 2016, and is unlikely to miss that window because it's the 30th anniversary. FF15 is apparently not even in development if the last active time report is anything to go by.
Yeah, didn't they say something about wanting to implement Just Cause 3 technology? You have to be at a pretty early stage to decide that, I think. DQ11 will definitely be out first.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The character models look nice on the ps4 version, but the environments don't really mesh well at all with them. I can't say I'm a fan of the overall look.

I'm feeling the same way. I don't like the contrast.
I'm calling it now: DQXI is on New 3DS only, not regular 3DS.

It was announced for the regular 3DS, so no.

kurahador

Still can't believe 3DS has 2D and 3D version of the game.

This screenshot in particular blows my mind:
dq-s-2.jpg
I mean...did they finished the 2D game first then start converting it to 3D version?
They basically develop the game thrice it seems.

Aeana

I... I may have to get both.. I wonder if there's any story differences across versions.

There are sure to be presentation differences, but they made it a point to say that it's the same story in both. I wouldn't be surprised if both had different bonus content or something like that, though.

The 3DS looks amazing. The ps4 version too but something just seems a bit off, not sure why but blue dragon looks more right in some sense.

inner-G

Banned
Man, I think I actually like the 3DS version better?

The PS4 version looks weird. Like why is the environment realistic?

Still can't believe 3DS has 2D and 3D version of the game.

This screenshot in particular blows my mind:

I mean...did they finished the 2D game first then start converting it to 3D version?
They basically develop the game thrice it seems.
It's really cool but I wish you could disable one or the other - I think it will be weird to see both moving at once.

BriGuy

I'm so happy JRPGs are making a resurgence, especially now that we have systems that can enter sleep mode when there are no save points nearby.

baconcow

There's something really funky with this and DQ:Builders, the monsters looks like they were superimposed on a background of some other game. Heck, everything looks strangely out of place to me for some reason.

Maybe its the black lines?

The environments look real while the characters and enemies do not.

JimPanzer

I hope we can customise the clothing of the party members. Seeing all the different outfits was my favorite thing in DQ IX.

Well time to triple the time I am putting into learning Japanese. I have to play and understand this game. I will not take the chance of them not localizing.

inner-G

Banned
Would you feel better if the PS4 version didn't have textures? That's the only real thing making the environment look "semi-realistic" in comparison to the character/enemy models.

Is that what DQVIII did on PS2?

I thought it's visual style was waaaaaaaaaaay better.

Josh7289

Oh my god, both of them are extraordinarily gorgeous. The PS4 version looks extremely good, but I'm also really surprised how good the 3DS one looks for a 3DS game. Wow. I didn't think that was possible on 3DS.

Takao

Banned
3DS version looks nicer from an art design standpoint. PS4 version has realistic environments that feel kind of off with Toriyama art.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Would you feel better if the PS4 version didn't have textures? That's the only real thing making the environment look "semi-realistic" in comparison to the character/enemy models.

Don't be facetious. It's perfectly reasonable for people, myself included, to dislike the contrast between character/environment graphics. I think it should be more stylized.

AgeEighty

Man, I think I actually like the 3DS version better?

The PS4 version looks weird. Like why is the environment realistic?

Look more carefully, especially at the forest shot. It's actually not all that realistic. It's just a very detailed cartoon background. The dungeon shot is the same, if you look at it closely. The only one that looks to me like they were going for realism is the marketplace shot from above.

Is that what DQVIII did on PS2?

I thought it's visual style was waaaaaaaaaaay better.

It's pretty much the same. The environments had the same quasi-realistic look:

Dragon_Quest_VIII_cover.jpg

wmlk

The DQ CGI look was always bad. I don't know why they're going for it.

Toriyama with that artstyle just does not mesh.

Still, the PS4 version feels less like a theme park and more like something with proper scale. I guess that's the tradeoff.

Mihos

Gold Member
3DS version looks OK, I may pick it up used at some point once enough time has passed to warrant a replay. I will probably preorder the inevitable collectors edition of the PS4 version, if it really comes to NA.

inner-G

Banned
Look more carefully, especially at the forest shot. It's actually not all that realistic. It's just a very detailed cartoon background. The dungeon shot is the same, if you look at it closely. The only one that looks to me like they were going for realism is the marketplace shot from above.

It's pretty much the same. The environments had the same quasi-realistic look:

Dragon_Quest_VIII_cover.jpg
That looks like the art in the 3DS version, not PS4.

Bloodrage

Banned
Don't be facetious. It's perfectly reasonable for people, myself included, to dislike the contrast between character/environment graphics. I think it should be more stylized.
Was a question. The environments do look stylized to me, with textures, instead of none, very similar to DQ8, as pointed out above.

It becomes even more evident when you look into the far background here.

55CB5FD846315B0033

Doesn't look realistic at all. Just stylized, with textures.

AgeEighty

That looks like the art in the 3DS version, not PS4.

I disagree. The PS4 environments have the same bright look to them, and the characters are shaded in practically the same way. There's a lot more detail; that's it.

EDIT: Look at the first shot in the OP. The rocks in the foreground have a cel-like outline to them, and that tree in the center has a very cartoony look to it. It fits with the characters perfectly IMO, and is very much like the style in DQVIII.

PS4 version looks like a dream come freakin true

3DS version looks pretty great too. Gotta love the dual style

55CB5FDD464ACA001A

HNNNNGGGGG

still hate the characters clothing color palette though. seriously, purple and booger green? why?

blackjaw

Oh man...my heart. I love it.

Might have to double dip....graphics on PS4...old school on 3DS....ghagindsignasdg

<3 based squeenix...release in NA please

I disagree. The PS4 environments have the same bright look to them, and the characters are shaded in practically the same way.
Not sure why the ps4 version looks off them =/ let hope they fix it, they still have some time anyway =) the 3DS verison looks great so I am sure they can do the same for the ps4 verison.

Wereroku

Jeez the PS4 version looks amazing.

Sorry if this has been answered, but have they confirmed a US/EU release yet?

Well think about it like this. Releasing a PS4 version of anything in JP only is a little weird. The PS4 version existing makes the NA/EU versions much more likely.

inner-G

Banned
I disagree. The PS4 environments have the same bright look to them, and the characters are shaded in practically the same way. There's a lot more detail; that's it.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The 3DS version is clearly more abstracted and fits better with the character and enemy artwork imo.

EDIT: Look at the first shot in the OP. The rocks in the foreground have a cel-like outline to them, and that tree in the center has a very cartoony look to it. It fits with the characters perfectly IMO, and is very much like the style in DQVIII.
Again, I totally disagree.

Look at the dungeon shot. It looks straight-up like a WRPG dungeon with cel-shaded cartoon characters laid on top of it.

There is real transparent water pooling on the floor and UE generated fire burning on the wall for chrissakes

Top Bottom