• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage and cast photo Netflix's Voltron: Legendary Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

https://youtu.be/ChXy1Qtv9TE
DMKuB1bh.jpg

From L-R: Shiro, Keith, Lance, Pidge, Hunk
vB4JJAy.jpg

Jeremy Shada (Adventure Time) as Lance
Bex Taylor-Klaus (Arrow) as Pidge
Josh Keaton (Green Lantern: The Animated Series) as Shiro
Tyler Labine (Tucker and Dale vs. Evil) as Hunk
Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead) as Keith
Kimberly Brooks (Mass Effect) as Princess Allura
Rhys Darby (Flight of the Conchords) as Coran
Source http://nerdist.com/voltron-legendar...te-showrunner-interview-dreamworks-animation/
Comes out June 10, 2016

Sou Da

Hate to double post but making a thread on mobile is hard but the show runners are Avatar guys and they plan to make the show more serialized.

Oh I wonder what the personality of the guy in the middle is.

Surely it isn't the guy who thinks he's above all of this and how immature the other guys is.

To be honest, my biggest concern is gonna be the 2D animation style. You can see only brief snippets of it during that combination sequence, but... I dunno.

That art is hideous.

It has the look when an American studio tries to emulate anime.

Yep it looks like American Anime trash. Hopefully the 2D is limited I rather see more 3D Voltron if this its gonna look like.

They dropped the ball on the theme and no voice over saying who was becoming the arm or leg.

dukeoflegs

I'll watch it, being a kid from the 80's Voltron was one of my favorite shows. I'm just not a fan of the art for the pilots. They look flat...or generic... I don't know something just doesn't feel right about them.

Sou Da

Eh, I like the designs. Looks way better than anything Voltron in the last few years.

Neil Kaplan just announced he's voicing Zarkon.

RPGCrazied

Eh, not feeling the art. Why is it these days they go for the cheapest look possibly for animation? I'll check out the first episode I guess.

That OP screenshot is 100% a Steve Ahn drawing, even if he's not the character designer.

He's a Korra vet and one of the best American action boarders alive. Regardless of how the total project turns out, I'm glad he's on the project.

dukeoflegs

I want to see art of Zarkon, the Witch, and some robeasts.

I wonder if the robeasts and voltron will be 3d for their fights?

Sou Da

How likely is it that she's just a cliché princess character?
According to Dos Santos, Allura “is way more than just the princess character, who’s just ‘I’m a fancy princess!’ And she was in the original series too. She absolutely took up the mantle of one of the pilots. I think she’s just got a lot more weighing on her and riding on her in this iteration. And all that stuff, all that back story stuff, will absolutely come to light, and play out, and we’ll get to know exactly what the origins were.

“She’s definitely got a bone to pick with Zarkon, [the villainous leader of the evil empire hunting down Voltron and conquering the universe],” explained Montgomery. “So we get to kind of see her personal journey. She’s holding on to a lot of anger, and you can’t really be a good leader when you’re so angry about something. So she’s got a lot of growing to do. She’s got all of her own personal arcs and stories that she’s going to go through. We just really want to make her cool.”

Also updated the OP with the release date.

Squalor

Also updated the OP with the release date.
I mean, I've heard that before and wound up with nothing.

What's the creator supposed to say? "We didn't bother to develop the one female character who has any screen time."

We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom