• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage and cast photo Netflix's Voltron: Legendary Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to get too excited. This could be awesome but I don't know enough about the people working on it to form an expectation.

Also I didn't know this was the Avatar animation studio. My dream of Netflix funding a much more violent third Avatar series may actually possible now!!!

Epcott

I like Korra, I love Studio Mirs work...

But I just wish they had an actual Japanese studio like Studio 4°C to do this. It always looks off when Western animators try to take on originally Japanese properties.

Sou Da

But I just wish they had an actual Japanese studio like Studio 4°C to do this. It always looks off when Western animators try to take on originally Japanese properties.

Voltron is far past the point of being a Japanese property at this point.

Although not Japanese I wouldn't consider Studio Mir western animators because it is based in South Korea

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

A lot of cartoons, western and eastern, are actually outsourced to Korean studios

I only just happened to stumble across the new footage while surfing that net. I was never big into Voltron, the only version I ever saw being Voltron: The Third Dimension which I was never too crazy about, but I caught episodes here and there. Looking back on it, I imagine it's probably not well received by longtime fans but that's just a guess. I've always been sort of fascinated by the lion Voltron design, though.

However this looks totally awesome to me. Looked up the showrunners and I like what I see, Justice League Unlimited, Avatar and Korra. I'm so in.

For clarification, the show has an LA based crew (at Dreamworks TV offices) are doing directing, designs, boards and timing, and Studio Mir are the soldiers in the animation trenches adding their own touch at every step as well.

This is similar to the 2011 Thundercats, except swap out Studio Mir with the beloved Studio 4'C.

This is globalization in a nutshell.

Bonus out of context Korra gif from a Mir artist:
tumblr_m994k0KzGt1rw156vo3_500.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Netflix means they can kill him right?

Since apparently the staff are mecha fans, I wonder if they'll embrace various stuff in it.

Huh, actually reading through the interview, its interesting how they're deliberately changing up the pilot placements (and at the very least, making the costumes match the lions).

gblues

Banned
Woah, Team Avatar is doing this? Hype level increased!

I mean, the original show was already playing really fast and loose with the source material (Go-Lion), so by actually doing the animation themselves they are already putting in far more effort into the show than the original run did.

And there's no way it could be worse than the 2005-ish bamf-erific Nicktoons show.

Rafavert

I'm working on this serie's subtitling, and am not going to spill the beans on anything significant, but the show is quite alright. Seen a few episodes and there's at least one very cool twist.

I wonder what kind of tone the the show is going to have.

Is it going to be as serious as the original? I would love if they went in that direction and were able to pull it off. But more likely it will be softened up I am guessing for todays kids.

I didn't see the original, but this is kind of like Avatar when it comes to this. It strikes a bit of a balance between comic scenes and more action/serious ones.

I'm working on this serie's subtitling, and am not going to spill the beans on anything significant, but the show is quite alright. Seen a few episodes and there's at least one very cool twist.

Sounds good so far. Anything you can tell us about animation quality and/or music? Or are they still putting together and refining the animation/CG?

PSqueak

Banned
Looks like Korra

That has to be the Korra character designer, right?

Same thing i was thinking, as a positive, it looks fine.

No female main characters are disappointing.

But I'm glad to see Studio Mir doing more work.

Well, if SRW W showed me anything is that one of those guys will die be incapacitated and you'll get the female member sowhere in the middle of the series.

Netflix means they can kill him right?

Since apparently the staff are mecha fans, I wonder if they'll embrace various stuff in it.

Frankly, having him just wounded and out of action for him to come back towards the end was less bullshit than killing him and introducing his identical twin.

Rafavert

Sounds good so far. Anything you can tell us about animation quality and/or music? Or are they still putting together and refining the animation/CG?

We've worked with both preliminary episodes (unfinished animation, credits missing, sometimes even dialogue lines missing), but also a fair share of finished ones. Sadly, the videos that reach us have fairly low quality (for the sake of file sizes), so I can't speak much about the animation. But generally speaking I'd say it's well animated. As for the music, I honestly didn't pay that any attention since I'm always keeping an eye on the dialogue =x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom