• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage and cast photo Netflix's Voltron: Legendary Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

I wonder what kind of tone the the show is going to have.

Is it going to be as serious as the original? I would love if they went in that direction and were able to pull it off. But more likely it will be softened up I am guessing for todays kids.

I mean, I've heard that before and wound up with nothing.

What's the creator supposed to say? "We didn't bother to develop the one female character who has any screen time."

We shall see.
I think given the staff behind it, it's almost a shoe-in that the Princess will probably deliberately end up having the most character development in the show and end up as a pilot during a crucial moment.
Anyone think the footage screams Otaking by the way? The shading seems really familiar.
Looks like they're deliberately going for the famous Masami Obari style shading (also seen in the Platinum Transformers game).
kUvOG.jpg

jackdoe

Is it going to be as serious as the original? I would love if they went in that direction and were able to pull it off. But more likely it will be softened up I am guessing for todays kids.
It's not as if the original wasn't softened when brought to the US. Death became a vacation remember?

Sou Da

From the article, it seems like they definitely want to do a serious character focused show with a lot of world building. It is the Avatar show runners after all.

inky

Ugh Korra... I'll never be able to erase Bolin from my mind.

Legendary should be doing something like this with Pacific Rim ;_;

Netflix... Voltron? Everything about this is nope. Why does it look like Korra. Just nope.
You don't like Netflix?
You don't like Voltron?
You don't like 90% of the art department of Korra reuniting for another project?
You don't like Korra?

I guess if the answer is 'nope' to all those, it wouldn't be up your alley.

bionic77

It's not as if the original wasn't softened when brought to the US. Death became a vacation remember?
I meant how earnest and serious everyone in the show could be.

I don't see anything like that on kids tv anymore.

I am also not sure kids today want something like that.

Looks interesting though the character designs are a bit on the bland side (and I swear they're always intent on giving Keith a damn mullet..).

Kinda funny that Voltron Force wasn't too long ago and already we have another reboot of sorts.

JSevere

Never saw the original series, but I'm gonna have to check this out if it has Korra peeps behind it and solid animation

Sou Da

Also I'm hoping this thread puts someone on to wanting to do the OT, but I guess a meatier trailer will probably help with that.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Is this like Voltes-V ?

Verelios

Someone refresh my memory, did the original series have a proper ending or was it just cancelled at some point?
The original series from what I remember didn't have a clean ending. There were pilot resolutions, retirings, new pilots which ended up flowing into the new WE ARE THE UNIVERSE Voltron squadron, but I don't recall an actual ending.

My memory's a little fuzzy though.

Yep. Korra's Joaquim Dos Santos is the executive producer and co-showrunner of this series, alongside Wonder Woman/Green Lantern: First Flight/Superman/Batman: Apocalypse/Justice League: Doom director Lauren Montgomery.

With those credits, this is going to LOOK amazing. I've been following Joaquim since his JL Unlimited days and Lauren Montgomery's best work was Wonder Woman. I never really loved Voltron as a kid, but I'd love to give this a chance.

NightOnyx

I think this looks pretty good. A lot better than some of the other recent Voltron stuff that has been around lately. With Korra people behind it, I hope it follows a similar tone to it. Again, those recent Voltron shows were painful. I think even little kids would cringe at the dialog.

Not

Banned
Whoa what this is 2D?

Instantly on board

Fuck I should've went to this today instead of getting enthralled watching Jim Lee draw

This "westerners trying to emulate anime art style" narrative is BS at this point. Do you need another two decades more before it becomes sensible to assume many artist in the west have pretty much grow up watching anime and what you see has been their style since thy can decently draw?

That has to be the Korra character designer, right?

lots of Korra Staff are on this
That OP screenshot is 100% a Steve Ahn drawing, even if he's not the character designer.

He's a Korra vet and one of the best American action boarders alive. Regardless of how the total project turns out, I'm glad he's on the project.
Steve Ahn's Tumblr post

At last, I can say what show I’ve been working on past 1 and half years… Many Legend of Korra artists have gathered once more, worked really really hard to revive this awesome 80′s anime into something more unique new action adventure show.

Official announcement and more exciting exclusive stuffs will be revealed at upcoming WONDERCON. More info about Voltron Panel is at below link

http://wondercon2016.sched.org/event/6Pzd?iframe=no

See you at Wondercon! Voltron Panel!

jax

Banned
You don't like Netflix?
You don't like Voltron?
You don't like 90% of the art department of Korra reuniting for another project?
You don't like Korra?

I guess if the answer is 'nope' to all those, it wouldn't be up your alley.
Love Voltron. Hate the rest. This is a travesty. Voltron deserves a high budget, Pacific Rim style live action movie. Not a cheap looking cartoon by a studio that has failed to deliver on multiple occasions.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, it's voltron so it's probably gonna be subpar, but I already have interest in it because they did two things right

THAT FUCKING GATTAI
and
THAT FUCKING MECHA EXPLOSION POSE you always never see in Western robot shows unless it is influenced by mecha

also some people already noted the GaoGaiGar homage

mQjBGA5.jpg

and holy shit it matches with GoLion's OP well

...someone was watching Turn A Gundam when they designed Allura.

Allura is a boy confirmed

Boss Doggie

Is "emulate anime" even a good argument?

I mean, fuck, early Japanese animation emulate cartoons. And they're loved.

Boss Doggie

Seriously, I haven't had my mecha buttons pushed this much since Pacific Rim, and even then PR didn't hit most of my buttons.

I am still cautious though, since it's fucking Voltron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom