• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget 60fps, 30fps is still a struggle for some games on PS4 Pro

joecanada

At least op didnt go for the full Monty of a headline

" Ps4 pro games run worse than ps4"

I've seen that one around its a laugh .

In short developers can choose to max out res to the detriment of frame rate . Not my preference but I'm assuming market research.

Fisty

Only reason the PS4 Pro is mentioned is because it's the fastest console hardware out right now and it's particularly relevant right now in the grand scheme of things. Games like Ratchet and CoD are absolutely brilliant on the PS4 Pro, so it's not the hardware. I doubt Scorpio will be any different.

So it doesn't really have anything to do with the Pro specifically? Did you just frame it like a concern thread so you'd get more pages? If this is your take, you sure botched that title

Most developers met this standard though. A few didn't, so let's not act like this is some hard task to do. Setting the expectation from the beginning and holding developers to it is absolutely something gamers should do. I understand limited time and budget, something I've argued in the past that works against Pro support, which is why it's not a huge deal for the first batch of titles, but there is no reason we shouldn't expect Pro games to have a worse framerate. There's absolutely nothing stopping it from happening if we hold them to this expectation. You seem to want it to slide so that it can continue to slide in future titles. It's a terrible precident to set. We also shouldn't sit idle and assume that patches will be made to fix it. We need to be vocal about it. Look at World of Final Fantasy. That's a shitty situation without any word from the developer.

Why single out pro? Why not hold this standard against base PS4? Lots of games don't hit the target frame rate.

So it doesn't really have anything to do with the Pro specifically? Did you just frame it like a concern thread so you'd get more pages? If this is your take, you sure botched that title

His original title was "A lot of games". It was changed to some.

Dante83

Banned
PS4 Pro is not really worth it. I am not a 4K TV owner, and 1080p games are either a hit or miss with this thing depending on devs. Maybe sony should mandate devs to keep a 1080p higher frame rate option. I like the fact that games such as the rise of the tomb raider and infamous second son/first light have them, and the differences are felt immediately when you start playing. That to me feels like a bigger difference than devs prioritizing graphics that may not even be noticeable unless you really put them side by side. Just my 2 cents.

they really should have an optional 1080p mode always, the resolution bump means the framerate keeps suffering.

I think given the Pro is semi-new territory, it's going take devs some time to figure out what gamers want and find a good compromise, then we'll see more uniform options in Pro mode for most games.

Nobody should be okay that a Pro game has a worse framerate than the standard PS4.
By saying nobody should be okay with that, you're saying that no one is allowed to prefer graphics over framerate. That's narcissistic and disrespectful. Just stick with what you were saying before this, that players should be offered the choice. Some devs are doing that, so at least we have examples of how it should be done.

Most games are CPU bound this generation anyways so it isn't like the Pro really is going to effect much.
I wouldn't be so sure. Most games do have higher framerates on Pro, in addition to looking better. Battlefield 1 has much higher framerates, sometimes by percentages higher than the CPU upclock.

Yeah I asked the mods to change it since the original title was excessive.
Props for being careful and accurate. I'm sorry the Pro doesn't contain the experience you want across the board. Even if it's the responsibility of the developers, that's still no fun.

Why single out pro? Why not hold this standard against base PS4? Lots of games don't hit the target frame rate.

Why single out the Pro? Because this is somewhat new territory. We've never had a mid-generation console upgrade before. In general, when we upgrade, we expect things to be better, not worse. If I have a GTX 1060 and I upgrade to a GTX 1080, I expect things to run better, not worse. However, since that's a PC upgrade, there's some control over that where as here, in this upgrade scenario, we're mostly at the mercy of the developer, so it's out of our hands. When I play a Pro game, I want and expect it to be better than the base OG PS4 version since the Pro is better than the PS4 and in absolutely no way is it worse. I shouldn't expect, well the game is better here, but worse over here. Look at how remasters and HD ports get picked apart when they're worse than the original despite it being much more powerful hardware. At least there's an excuse there where it wasn't the same hardware, and it had to be ported. That excuse doesn't work with a Pro version of a game. It's not about hitting target framerates; it's about hitting a worse framerate than the base version.

Fdkn

thats the whole reason why we needthe pro tho? to hit the framerate we wern't hitting.

Actually no, this was never the intention. The whole reveal was about 4k, dynamic resolutions, downsampling, graphical effects, image quality and the allmighty HDR

It would be nice if devs made an extra mode with the base 1080p and just a better framerate for those that are so desperate about some minor dips, but that's not the focus of the Pro, or consoles in general.

Last gen had much worse framerates btw

We (IW7) drop res very infrequently on Pro. At the risk of over-simplifying, our workloads scale very well as we're a forward(plus) renderer and not as much subject to memory bandwidth penalties as the contemporary deferred. We spent a shit load of time on the up-sampling too, of course. You can thank @iryoku1, among others, for that.
Since no one else did, I just wanted to reply that I appreciate the effort and the results you seem to have gotten. I haven't played the game myself, but the impressions I've read of the graphics are generally glowing. Hitting 2160c some of the time while maintaining very solid 60fps right at launch is great stuff. Keep it up!

Parity is the real issue here. It's going the wrong way. I wish they had spent their time like MSoft making the PS4 backwards compatible and increasing those games performance. Not full remasters, but take a look at RDR, it's framerate is a lot more stable on XBone than it was on 360. I know a lot of BC titles on XBone have had and still have issues, but it's better than playing what should be a premium experience, and instead getting a sub-par experience.

Parity is the real issue here. It's going the wrong way. I wish they had spent their time like MSoft making the PS4 backwards compatible and increasing those games performance. Not full remasters, but take a look at RDR, it's framerate is a lot more stable on XBone than it was on 360. I know a lot of BC titles on XBone have had and still have issues, but it's better than playing what should be a premium experience, and instead getting a sub-par experience.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what the Xbox one being backwards compatible with the 360 has to do with the PS4 Pro? Are you saying they should potentially break compatibility with a vast majority of unpatched PS4 titles just to make a few of them run a little better?

wapplew

Sorry, I don't quite understand what the Xbox one being backwards compatible with the 360 has to do with the PS4 Pro? Are you saying they should potentially break compatibility with a vast majority of unpatched PS4 titles just to make a few of them run a little better?

Or make every game run on high level API/emulation so nothing break when hardware changes.

Angel_DvA

I'm not even interested in (buying new) consoles anymore but the PS4 Pro is really underwhelming.

Hopefully the Scorpio will handle that better, I saw that gif on reddit that is really good imo, MS should impose that guideline to every Scorpio game:

You're so naive, do you really think devs will lose time with optimizing all of this when they can't even finished their game properly because of the publishers pushing them ? I don't think so.

Honestly Dishonored is quite frustrating. I bought it on PS4 instead of PC just to have something to play on my Pro. The input lag, framerate and frame pacing feel pretty poor. But I don't think that's going to be indicative of the console by any means. The CPU decision and lack of UHD blu-ray certainly still dissapoint though.

Lady Gaia

Vocal minority? You mean every PC Gamer in the world?

Those who are absolutely obsessed with frame rate do build monster PCs, sure, but plenty of PC gamers aren't as obsessive as you think. They play on seriously underspecced hardware and put up with mediocre frame rates because it isn't important enough to them to allocate funds to upgrading.

This thread, though, is about games on the PS4 Pro. If consumers were as focused on frame rate over visuals across the board as many here think, some developer would pick up on it and make a fortune. The reality is that it's important to succeed in some genres and much less so in others.

bomblord1

Banned
As devs are given more powerful hardware they will push more effects and resolution over frame rate. This should theoretically continue ad infinitum

This is just a fact of life we've seen it every console generation since 3D became a thing. The main reason why is probably the higher ups can't sell "FPS" as well as they can sell an amazing looking 4k screenshot.

Garudan

Banned
I'm sure this has been mentioned by now but... you didn't say you were looking for 4K/60fps (and you'd be absurd for wanting so), and Rise of the Tomb Raider definitely does a solid 60fps on high frame rate. With enriched visuals I've noticed it drop below 30 only very rarely.

I don't play 4K mode enough to judge it but I wouldn't consider the game a part of this list of yours OP.

jjonez18

Publishers don't give a fuck.
The game looks pretty. It's playable. Put it out. Well, 3/4th of it. Sell the rest as dlc.

If I want high frame rate games then I will game on my PC. The PRO is exactly what it is...a slightly upgraded PS4. Consoles are always going to prioritize visuals over performance.

You aren't going to be able to pay £350 for a PC that will play games looking as good as they do on the Pro, at high frame rates.

Thank you!

Gotta go PC if you care that deeply. Simple as that.

Basically this. I can't stand to go less than 1440p and 144fps now. I have spoiled my eye balls. My ps4 and Xbox collect dust. I was considering a pro if the games were geared to 1080/60 but they went the opposite way I wanted and went resolution which makes sense for the 4k tvs. again I chose to go with a lower resolution monitor and higher fps.

I'm pretty sure if you'd actually watched that video, you'd know that TLOU only drops frames in the 1080p/60fps mode. 4K/30fps mode runs perfectly.

And it only drops to 55fps in the single most taxing scene in the whole game that, when it originally launched on PS4 went as low as 48fps.

DeVeAn

9% of a small but still under development is OK at this generation.

We all know that Ubisoft is trying to fix this, Naughty is also looking forward to fix The Last of Us 60 fps mode, and Bethesda also said they are looking how to improve Skyrim 4K performance
The problem is in most cases, these issues are not fixed. I don't believe anything in the gaming industry until I see it.

I guess I'm trying to say is the effort that went into making a half-step console like the Pro, would have been better spent on a BC functionality for the PS4 with PS3 titles, giving them better performance on the PS4 standard.

Those who are absolutely obsessed with frame rate do build monster PCs, sure, but plenty of PC gamers aren't as obsessive as you think. They play on seriously underspecced hardware and put up with mediocre frame rates because it isn't important enough to them to allocate funds to upgrading.

This thread, though, is about game's on the PS4 Pro. If consumers were as focused on frame rate over visuals across the board as many here think, some developer would pick up in it and make a fortune. The reality is that it's important to succeed in some genres and much less so in others.

I agree, I just find it unfortunate that the framerate discussion has become such a touchy topic now with consoles, especially when a Pro version of a console is expected to deliver a premium experience and fails to out of the gate for some.

Malcolm9

I guess I'm trying to say is the effort that went into making a half-step console like the Pro, would have been better spent on a BC functionality for the PS4 with PS3 titles, giving them better performance on the PS4 standard.

It's already been stated countless times why PS3 BC isn't happening. MS went all out on it as they were getting trounced by Sony, and it's been a successful move for them to entice 360 owners looking to upgrade.

Personally I couldn't care less about BC as I prefer playing the games releases this gen, rather than games I've played countless times last gen. Now if it's the SNES/Megadrive era then you're talking :)

It's already been stated countless times why PS3 BC isn't happening. MS went all out on it as they were getting trounced by Sony, and it's been a successful move for them to entice 360 owners looking to upgrade.

Personally I couldn't care less about BC as I prefer playing the games releases this gen, rather than games I've played countless times last gen. Now if it's the SNES/Megadrive era then you're talking :)

Amen to SNES Megadeive era!

I just have a hard time believing anything Sony says in regards to functionality when we still aren't able to change our PSN ID's

Novocaine

Most developers are going to opt for visual effects over framerate.

That seems to be what sells unfortunately.

There are several games now that have opted for a stable 60 fps with dymanic resolution now and I feel like those games will be able to take advantage of systems like PS4P and Scorpio better. I just hope more developers opt for that method instead because I really like my 60fps

Fredrik

We need a toggle once and for all. I'd rather have 1080p + 60fps than low fps 4k.
No toggle. We just need a graphics settings menu as on PC. I mean I can't play all my games on PC at the highest resolution with the highest settings and get 60fps either, so I scale things back until I can, simple as that. I want to be able to do this on console too, this idea to toggle between two predefined settings which don't do either 30 locked or 60 locked needs to go away. There is nothing wrong with the hardware, it's powerful enough without a doubt, the predefined settings is what mess it all up.

Splinter

So will PS4PRO devs release patches for games like Bloodborne and Witcher 3, allowing them to run at 60fps without needing to release a whole new version?

I think you're nitpicking!

Tomb Raider has a high framerate mode. So what are you trying to say when you listed it?

Watch Dogs 2 is stable enough for a console open world game.

Skyrim? Lol. You expect a solid 30fps from bethesda? You just don't have skyrim as an example for stable games.

DisHonored is an unoptimized shit show. Even a high end pc can't run it with stable framerate. And guess what? It's bethesda!

Skyrim and Dishonored are the exception. Don't judge all the games and the hardware based on bethesda games.

Top Bottom