• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget 60fps, 30fps is still a struggle for some games on PS4 Pro

cakely

no, I think that's just the usual bashing of Sony's launch consoles and accessories.... from shills, to fanboi's to folks who don't want to spend the money for something that others are enjoying.

smells about the same each launch.

What? No. From what the OP read the "60fps" mode in ROTR isn't that great. He even put "60fps" in quotes.

It's totally legit.

Neath

Neo Member
I'm not even interested in (buying new) consoles anymore but the PS4 Pro is really underwhelming.

Hopefully the Scorpio will handle that better, I saw that gif on reddit that is really good imo, MS should impose that guideline to every Scorpio game:

That's cool and all, but I don't think certain graphics modes should be disabled for multiplayer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dynamic res. Just like BF1, just like titanfall. Titanfall can go as low as 720p depending on the load. On XB1 it can go as low as 480p(!!!), PS2 levels.
I hope more games utilize dynamic checkerboard 4k like IW does. Excellent performance and some of the best IQ I've seen so far on the Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's not just four games though. The Last of Us and Deus Ex also take a hit too.

Watch Dogs is getting patched. Skryim at most goes down to 28 FPS at 4K. Last of Us runs at a solid 30 on 4K. Deus Ex is the only outlier here.

C'maan GAF -_-

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
As much as Sony wants you to think otherwise, we're dealing with a generational leap in technology here. I guess it's fair to criticize the shortcomings of a brand new console, but this certainly doesn't spell doom and gloom for the PS4 Pro.

Give developers some time to figure out how best to utilize the hardware. This is absolutely "launch woes", and the games you mentioned were targeted to lower-end systems to begin with having "Pro enhancements" tacked on after the fact. It's less a trend and more of an issue of growing pains.

Tagyhag

It's really sad that people are OK with even some games being under 30 on the Pro.

The point is, it should be ZERO.

Harp

90 Percent of the games are fine, and 90 percent of the playtime of games with issues are fine. But hey let's talk about what wrong.

I'm not too bothered about 60FPS, but it's frustrating to see a handful of games turn in worse performance than the base PS4.

Even if it's only a couple of frames here and there, it's a new console being outclassed by its three-year-old brother (in terms of how certain games run).

It's not a good look.

The resolution boost shouldn't be swept under the carpet, but there's no good pushing more polygons if your game is performing worse as a result.

Two games I'm interested in, Watch Dogs and Final Fantasy, both have issues on the Pro (the former pumping out a more erratic frame rate and the latter suffering big frame pacing problems).

I'm not sure who I blame, but this console was positioned as being for discerning gamers and I don't think it's delivering.

It'll improve no doubt, but it's not a great start... not that any console launch ever is.

Edit: Just seen Watch Dogs is getting a patch. Fingers crossed that improves things.

Watch Dogs is getting patched. Skryim at most goes down to 28 FPS at 4K. Last of Us runs at a solid 30 on 4K. Deus Ex is the only outlier here.

C'maan GAF -_-

Skyrim falls down to 27 according to Digital Foundry. Only a 1FPS difference, but if you're going to toss figures at us you should at least be correct.

Jay Sosa

The Pro seems like such an unnecessary update/console. Especially at this point and time.

They simply should have waited a little bit longer, it's not like many people have (good) 4K TVs anyway.

And we all knew this would happen. Even though reading through GAF makes you think people care a lot about 60 FPS not many do.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Framerate probably wouldn't be an issue if hyperbole fanboys weren't obsessed with analysing pre release screenshots. ;-)

adamsapple

Skyrim falls down to 27 according to Digital Foundry. Only a 1FPS difference, but if you're going to toss figures at us you should at least be correct.

Oh I'm sorry, it's not 28 FPS, it's 27 FPS in some instances at native 4K.

Pro purchase completely invalidated :p

Do 25+ year olds even care that much about graphics where they literally buy games on the graphics? I can imagine kids being amazed by them but in this day and age even the casual will use the internet to find out about games.

Talking about consoles here.

Wallach

C'maan GAF -_-

Skyrim might only dip a few FPS, but in practice it feels pretty bad compared to the base PS4. I say that as a Pro owner who was really enjoying Skyrim SE on PS4 before switching to the Pro. It happens constantly and erratically, where on the base PS4 the framerate felt really, really solid. It needs to be fixed.

EmiPrime

the controls in that game feel like you're under water. needs some tweaking

Feels fine to me with friction set to 30. I am using a Xbox One controller wired on PS4 Pro.

Oh I'm sorry, it's not 28 FPS, it's 27 FPS in some instances at native 4K.

Pro purchase completely invalidated :p

27fps during an unplayable, on rails opening set piece. Hang your head in shame chandoog.

darscot

It's really sad that people are OK with even some games being under 30 on the Pro.

You justify this how? The pro is not a PC that cost several grand nor is it some magic box that improves all software that runs on it. The concept that no game should ever drop a frame is laughable. Games would be so fucking nerfed.

Tagyhag

You justify this how? The pro is not a PC that cost several grand nor is it some magic box that improves all software that runs on it. The concept that no game should ever drop a frame is laughable. Games would be so fucking nerfed.

I don't think it should be default but the option would be nice.

Some games are already doing a Gameplay over Graphics option, they should all do that.

adamsapple

27fps during an unplayable, on rails opening set piece. Hang your head in shame chandoog.

I'm gonna flush my Pro down the toilet as soon as I head home from work. :p

ok, being serious, while I'm trying my best to understand the issues people are having, as stated multiple times, this is a new device, these games will most likely be patched or at least some of them. It's nothing to be this upset over.

Boy I hope people complaining about these 2 FPS drops didn't play Skyrim on PS3.

It's not that it should never drop a frame; it's that it shouldn't drop more frames than the OG PS4 version if you're not going to give an option to play the OG PS4 version. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to ask for. I want every PS4 game to play at a bare minimum as good on the Pro as it does on the OG PS4. We shouldn't be compromising one thing for another on the Pro so that it's not better than the original.

That's not the point at all. And isn't remotely feasible.

Either you put crazy amounts of restrictions on devs or you hope they put out stable games.

It's not that it should never drop a frame; it's that it shouldn't drop more frames than the OG PS4 version if you're not going to give an option to play the OG PS4 version. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to ask for. I want every PS4 game to play at a bare minimum as good on the Pro as it does on the OG PS4. We shouldn't be compromising one thing for another on the Pro so that it's not better than the original.

There we go.

darscot

There is an option for this its called the OG PS4. Why would you buy a pro and run games with no visual improvements? Resolution does not equal nothing.

Metfanant

Lot of apologist focused on the number. I say it's more worthwhile to focus on the games in question. Four different AAA games by four different well-recognized companies (Bethesda, Naughty Dog, Square Enix, Ubisoft). I think that speaks more volume than anything.

I'm not saying 30fps is bad, I'm just saying the Pro might be showing its weaknesses fairly early in.

I don't think it has anything to do with a weakness of the Pro hardware at all..it's a simple matter of a developer trying to do more than the hardware is capable of...

Sony has always said NOTHING is stopping these devs from giving us straight 1080p and using the power however they see fit...a developer is perfectly capable of taking a stand and saying: " I believe this power is best used at 1080p with a solid 30 or 60fps with some added bells and whistles over the OG version...or even a slight resolution bump to provide some supersampling for 1080p..

BUT screenshots and trailers sell games, and the average gamer doesn't even know what framerate is...devs will push for buzzwords so they can tick the boxes on their marketing checklists...

There is an option for this its called the OG PS4. Why would you buy a pro and run games with no visual improvements? Resolution does not equal nothing.

So the option is to have two systems. That sounds totally reasonable.

I didn't say resolution does not equal nothing. I'm saying we shouldn't have to be put in a position to choose a worse framerate in order to get IQ. A game having a worse framerate on the Pro over the OG PS4 should not happen.

I didn't say resolution does not equal nothing. I'm saying we shouldn't have to be put in a position to choose a worse framerate in order to get IQ. A game having a worse framerate on the Pro over the OG PS4 should not happen.

You won't have to choose often if those games get patches, which they are.

belvedere

Junior Butler

More than one of the very small number of titles affected are supposed to be remedied via additional patches and unless the PS4/Pro parity document is fake, such parity is a direct requirement from Sony. So why immediately apply speculative fiction and assume this is some sort of epidemic?

You won't have to choose often if those games get patches, which they are.

We shouldn't have blind faith that every game will have a patch. For example, when is the World of Final Fantasy patch coming?

More than one of the very small number of titles affected are supposed to be remedied via additional patches and unless the PS4/Pro parity document is fake, such parity is a direct requirement from Sony. So why immediately apply speculative fiction and assume this is some sort of epidemic?

Where did I say it was an epidemic? I'm simply saying it should never happen and a Pro user should never have performance compromised with no choice to correct it. Do you disagree with that standard?

w0s

I don't think it should be default but the option would be nice.

Some games are already doing a Gameplay over Graphics option, they should all do that.
Speak for yourself. I'll take bells and whistles with an occasional hitch. #imtheproblem

Meh, so a few games have small framerate dips, hardly unheard of, plus most Pro games run better than standard PS4.

Its just down to a developer / coding issue, if it was the hardware, all games would be running like crap, so should be fixable if the dev is good enough / wants to.

darscot

Some of actually live in reality. We understand that the goal is to push the boundaries. You want games to push the graphics as far as they possible can. Sometimes they may choose IQ over FPS and that is great. All the power to them. This shit is laughable to anyone that understands anything about making a game. Hey we have this awesome new feature but there could be a rare chance that we lose a frame here or there. Fuck that, cut it and throw that shit in the garbage. Hey we have new hardware lets see how hard we can push it, fuck that nerf it down, don't take any risk, we might drop a frame. LOL

I don't get why people are surprised. The type of PC needed to run games at 4K (albeit in true 4K) and 30 FPS is insane. Trying to get over 30 FPS with 4K takes a true powerhouse. No 400 dollar console is going to be able to do that, at least not in 2016. I'm still really skeptical about the scorpio, but only time will tell on that.
Enjoy the pro for what it is, it's a more powerful PS4. Dev's (Sony?) are choosing resolution over frame-rate. This is nothing new and nothing to be surprised about.

30 vs 60 isn't a matter of "is there enough power". You're not just going to brute force a game designed to run at 30 fps to run at 60 just because you doubled the gpu power and marginally bumped the cpu spec.

If you want 60, you design for 60 from the ground up and it's obviously not an easy task to achieve while trying to push the image quality as high as possible at the same time.

Even with scorpio it's the same thing. Having 6 TF doesn't guarntee you 60 fps games because it's not always about the power beneath the hood. You still need a good driver to keep the pace.

I would prefer pro games go the UC4 route of 1440p zero checkerboard rendering. I think it's the sweet spot for the pro.

Some of actually live in reality. We understand that the goal is to push the boundaries. You want games to push the graphics as far as they possible can. Sometimes they may choose IQ over FPS and that is great. All the power to them. This shit is laughable to anyone that understands anything about making a game. Hey we have this awesome new feature but there could be a rare chance that we lose a frame here or there. Fuck that, cut it and throw that shit in the garbage. Hey we have new hardware lets see how hard we can push it, fuck that nerf it down, don't take any risk, we might drop a frame. LOL

Eh? I understand plenty about making a game. It's my job and what I'm asking for as a standard isn't some crazy thing. You want to push the boundry, then give the user an option. Tomb Raider in general tries to do that. But also understand using torture tests and other methods in order to hit a target framerate as well as performance optimizations. We should hold game developers to that standard of either not compromise framerate or give the user the option to choose graphics over framerate.

5taquitos

So we should just ignore Sony's parity clause then? They were just joking?

The exact quote from Sony from the leaked Neo documents is:

As with all strategies, it is important to ensure that the NEO frame rate meets or exceeds the frame rate of the game on the original PlayStaion 4

That is not a mandate. Nowhere does it say "We'll be scouring each patch you release to make sure it meets these guidelines." It just says that they need to work to maintain parity. If these games don't get patched in the next few weeks, then you may have a case. Chances are developers rushed these patches out for this first round of games and are now working to tweak them.

Orayn

Little premature to treat it like a total disaster, but yeah, it is distressing that we've seen this many Pro modes that run worse or have problems not present in other versions. Ideally those would get patched and Sony would be more stringent in cert in the future.

darscot

Eh? I understand plenty about making a game. It's my job and what I'm asking for as a standard isn't some crazy thing. You want to push the boundry, then give the user an option. Tomb Raider in general tries to do that. But also understand using torture tests and other methods in order to hit a target framerate as well as performance optimizations. We should hold game developers to that standard of either not compromise framerate or give the user the option to choose graphics over framerate.

Its launch, and if you really had a clue and understood what it takes to launch a game or new hardware you would know your silly standard and demands are laughable.

Top Bottom