• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale had Over 1 Million Players on its First Day

RRockman

Banned
I should try this out.

PUBG is a goddamn optimization mess. I literally have to wait in a prone position after landing while the building on the map loads out of low-LOD mode. Takes literally minutes.

So it's nice to hear Fornite gets that right

Wow, that sounds like a death sentence in these types of games. If Bluehole doesn't get it's act together soon, the'll be swept away for sure.

GodofWine

Kinda feel like Epic should spin off their games development side out from engine development. Nobody owns this battle royale 'idea', and I don't think they should - but I do find it uncomfortably shady how they've essentially ripped off someone who pays them to license their engine, began effectively competing with them and - in my view - began actively attempting to hurt them.

May the best, most fun product win, but yeah..

Here's a list of UE games - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

If Epic wasn't allowed to make a game like any of their clients games, they wouldn't be able to make any games.

I think it's a bit misleading because Fornite is a multiplatform game. If you split thoes 1 million players into 3 group's, the number might not be so impressive.

Blam

Who owns the Hunger Games IP and why are they not paying attention?

Epic > Bluehole. I mean, bluehole is using UE4 for a reason :p. Don't forget the FNBR was made in like 3 or 4 months compared to how long PUBG has been in dev.

I seriously don't understand why they haven't contracted anyone or asked Bluehole for a cameo in PUBG.

A hunger games BR would be amazing, and I feel like way more fun then people think.

I could also see a VR BR game work as well.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Kinda feel like Epic should spin off their games development side out from engine development. Nobody owns this battle royale 'idea', and I don't think they should - but I do find it uncomfortably shady how they've essentially ripped off someone who pays them to license their engine, began effectively competing with them and - in my view - began actively attempting to hurt them.

Bluehole chose to use UE4 knowing Epic's policy of use. How is that Epic's fault? Boohoo I guess Bluehole will just have to be happy with the 100s of millions they have made.

I seriously don't understand why they haven't contracted anyone or asked Bluehole for a cameo in PUBG.

A hunger games BR would be amazing, and I feel like way more fun then people think.

I could also see a VR BR game work as well.

The studio behind dying light could make a hell of a BR in the style of Hunger Games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's already a blast, and it's already much better than PUBG.

Fortnite's here to stay.

Wow, that sounds like a death sentence in these types of games. If Bluehole doesn't get it's act together soon, the'll be swept away for sure.

Doesn't sound like a common problem at all though. I mean... they had a peak of 1.5 million players today. If that issue was common and a death sentence, not nearly as many people would play.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who's never played PUBG and has no interest because it seems incredibly stressful, would I enjoy FNBR? The whole genre doesn't seem like it lends itself to de-stressing after a long day at work, but I am intrigued by all the hype it's getting.

Lucifon

Game is awesome fun, great idea by Epic and a surprisingly speedy response to trends too. I feel like it will completely overshadow the base Fortnite though, it's just simply more fun.

Alot of pubg hate here but in my opinion both are amazingly fun games in different ways.

As someone who's never played PUBG and has no interest because it seems incredibly stressful, would I enjoy FNBR? The whole genre doesn't seem like it lends itself to de-stressing after a long day at work, but I am intrigued by all the hype it's getting.
It's a game all about paranoia of being murdered from all directions at any minute

It's got a pleasing, easy going vibe and artstyle but it doesn't really change that

How did the servers hold up? I would think with that number they would have been hammered, but it would be even more impressive if there were no server issues.

How have Epic begun actively trying to hurt Bluehole?! The hyperbole is strong with this situation.

I think it's a bit misleading because Fornite is a multiplatform game. If you split thoes 1 million players into 3 group's, the number might not be so impressive.

1 million players for day 1 on a F2P game is still impressive no matter how you slice it.

nelo_inc

And this in only the beginning of the Battle Royale fever, that will spread like a virus, someone find a cure for this!

But the competion sure is good for the advancement of the "genre".

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Gonna give this a shot. Wanted to see what the big deal is with PUBG but not paying £27 for it. Plus I prefer the look of Fortnite. PUBG just looks like another generic battle royale with shitty graphics.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I wont be happy until DICE capitulates to this trend. When they do I will be disappointed because EA fucked it up with P2W shit. Dammit....

Alienous

It's really fun to play. It would have been nice if PUBG had a console experience but oh well, I'm not sure that I'd want to lose the destruction and creation mechanics in any case.

Unreal Engine has supported plenty of post- Gears of War cover shooters. Epic don't prevent their competition from making games with UE4, so I don't see why developers using UE4 should get that privilege.

JDB

Banned
What's the diff between Fortnite and PUBG?
PUBG:
More authentic and mostly tries to keep it realistic gameplay-wise
Bigger map with vehicles
A lot more variety in gear and weapons and attachments
Has both first and third person modes
Has performance issues

Fortnite:
A lot more arcade-y gameplay
Smaller map with no vehicles
Limited amount of loot and weapons
Third person only
Has a building mechanic which allows you to create destructible structures mid-game
Generally runs well

I think the biggest difference in the gameplay. With PUBG being a more slow methodical game whereas Fortnite can be a lot quicker and arcade-y. So whatever game style you prefer will probably be the main factor when it comes to what game you like better.

Personally I think Fortnite is a solid foundation, but there isn't too much depth at the moment to keep it interesting for me. There's no gear, no attachments, no vehicles and a relatively small map so there aren't as many ways to mix it up like in PUBG. I also prefer the realistic game and gunplay in PUBG, but that's a really subjective thing.

Loving this so far. Was under the impression that these BR type games would be long 20+ minute matches filled with lots of camping but my experience has been the opposite matches are super quick and and intense.

That's what I thought. Probably won't be for me then.

i'd recommend giving it a shot. matches can be intense but I don't think it's any more stress than any other MP game. Also due to quick matches are an how easy it is to get back into a new game, it never feels like you wasted your time.

ViciousDS

Banned
This is the biggest boon to Fortnite then. You can destroy their cover.

This is why I see it taking off......the destructible environments make for some nonstatic fun as fuck scramble. I am having a lot more fun with Fortnite than PUBG and I think we will actually get more updates quicker and much better support. I mean how long has PUBG had the same single map?

Alienous

i'd recommend giving it a shot. matches can be intense but I don't think it's any more stress than any other MP game. Also due to quick matches are an how easy it is to get back into a new game, it never feels like you wasted your time.

If you make it to the final 5 it's a level of stress I haven't felt since being the last person alive on your team in Rainbow Six Siege.

It's fun, but in my experience it's more stressful than the majority of MP games.

As a big PUBG fan, it doesnt really look very appealing to me. But I am super glad its taking off. They have had the market to themselves for too long and as others have said in this thread, their optimization is godawful.

So maybe this will be the kick in the pants PUBG needs.

Un4

Well deserved. Played all evening last night and had a blast.

If they can keep the updates coming and introduce the microtransactions in an acceptable way Epic has got a winner here.

But please add shoulder switching!

Dice, bro. Look at this shit. Its basically money on the table waiting to be picked up.

Knock something out in BF1 please. I am begging you.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Battlefront 2 Battle Royale. We going places.

Don't tease me...

Well deserved. Played all evening last night and had a blast.

If they can keep the updates coming and introduce the microtransactions in an acceptable way Epic has got a winner here.

But please add shoulder switching!

Saw a post on Reddit that said it was being "Discussed". Which likely means it is coming in dev speak.

Dice, bro. Look at this shit. Its basically money on the table waiting to be picked up.

Knock something out in BF1 please. I am begging you.

EA should just let DICE LA make it for the next big BF1 expansion. Then BF5 should be designed with this mode in mind for optimum badassery. Imagine getting board of conquest and then dropping out of C130 with some friends in BF5 for some BR. You wouldn't even need to change games! I get hot and bothered just thinking about it. Wife would love that as well.
We are both huge Battlefield fans.

Fuck I might buy SWBF2 if that happens.

Would much prefer it in BF1 though. Give me an excuse to launch that game again.

Dead serious. I would pay like 10-15$ for a couple of new maps dedicated to this game mode in either the BF4 or BF1 engine. Probably would pay more actually.

suicreeps

Although that may be true, you can’t disregard the amount of people are on the PC platform with PUBG, steam alone had 125 million yearly users I think last year, which is easily more than all the consoles combined.

So with PUBG going to consoles they have a smaller user base added up, but hopefully more appeal to the more casual base.

Played a match the other day and was impressed. They're far ahead of PUBG in a lot of areas, optimization being a huge one. Parachuting isn't a complete laggy disaster. Actually, just generally a lot of things that are broken in PUBG work right out of the box in Fortnite.

But I don't know if the gun system for the base game transferred over all that well to Battle Royale. In PUBG, most players know the guns, and they know the ammo types, etc... Inventory management is a large part of surviving. In Fortnite, there doesn't appear to be any inventory management, and instead you appear to just pick up weapons and ammo.

Hoping they make the gunplay better.

I'm actually genuinely curious about how else they could have pushed this out the door so quickly. The game went from what? 4-player co-op, to 100-player PvP just like that? Essentially, everything needed for a Battle Royale game is already here, and then some?

Although that may be true, you can’t disregard the amount of people are on the PC platform with PUBG, steam alone had 125 million yearly users I think last year, which is easily more than all the consoles combined.

So with PUBG going to consoles they have a smaller user base added up, but hopefully more appeal to the more casual base.
Dunno how representative that Steam population is in terms of active users. Consoles generally have significantly higher player counts in games than PC.

Top Bottom