• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale had Over 1 Million Players on its First Day

Ploid 3.0

Agreed as someone who plays Pubg. I'll play Fortnite when (if) it has squad support (not sure if it does already).

There was a guy on twitch (named Grimmz, seems to play with other popular streamers) near the end of a Fortnite 12hour plus marathon. He was hooked, he describes it as a good complementary game to PUBG. Him and his team of friends were laughing and sounded like they were having a ball into the morning hours. Quicker games (less time investment), more action/arcadey casual fun, they loved the building aspect and used it in pretty cool ways near the end.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/177767149 (skip to points in the end of course. Edit: I actually only caught a few hours starting around 3:30:00, the people he played with seemed to have played even longer, and he played for many hours after I stopped listening to them. Crazy, sleep deprivation risks).

I either want PUBG on PS4 or another military BR game.

I like FN and therr is a lot they can expand on but I also want to play a realistic fps game.

Third person is inferior to first person and tighter gunplay is needed still.

FN made the right decision to go the other way with the style and gameplay but I wonder if there will be a copycat of PUBG but as polished as FN

Alienous

Somewhere in Redmond, Phil Spencer just bit through a pencil

"Sir, they've combined PUBG with Minecraft, and made it a free-to-play game for all consoles and PC"

"When does it release?"

"Yesterday, sir"

smashed-computer.gif

KooopaKid

Banned
Really good start. A bit of a shame it's a total rip-off of PUBG but the concept is very easy to replicate and well...that's life.
It will be interesting to see how the two games evolve as well as the next imitators, like COD and Battlefield.

Holdfing

Well, congrats to them!
I tried it out, it definitely runs better. Much better. However, I'm not a fan of the gunplay or the building aspect, so I'll stick to PUBG.

I haven't played either but if I had to, I'd pick Fortnite easily. PUBG looks like a PlayStation Home beta in comparison. Artstyle and polish really makes a difference.

so how they are going to make money off this?

I really want to start playing, but I am afraid it will be pay for win type of game.

I doubt it will keep any sort of a playerbase if it introduces P2W elements. Nothing drives away people quicker from a MP game. Plus its easy enough to get people to cough up money these days with the loot crates/cases and keys model.

Why give your game a bad name when there is an established revenue model already widely accepted by people?

Panthers

Might be time to jump into this subgenre. As a huge Socom fan, the 3rd person shooter and permadeath appeals to mme a lot. Looks fun.

MUnited83

For you.
I doubt it will keep any sort of a playerbase if it introduces P2W elements. Nothing drives away people quicker from a MP game. Plus its easy enough to get people to cough up money these days with the loot crates/cases and keys model.

Why give your game a bad name when there is an established revenue model already widely accepted by people?
Eh, the main game already did this and seems to be doing fine m And that main game still has a paywalled to even play it.

Ploid 3.0

Might be time to jump into this subgenre. As a huge Socom fan, the 3rd person shooter and permadeath appeals to mme a lot. Looks fun.

They have bush stealth, and everyone jumps when they are close range fighting in the open, should bring back some Socom 2 memories a bit. The bush may get nerfed, or people will start shooting every bush they see.

So it's still fun for people even though there looks to be a lot of running and a lot of waiting? Or is the appeal found in the fun of crafting/surviving as the terrain shrinks? In supposed I'll just omay and find out.

A couple of observations (strictly subjective, of course)

1) If BR keeps up popularity, I can see EPIC shifting development resources to focus on this mode

2) The gunplay does not look as satisfying as PUBG's, so I'm not yet convinced. That said, I haven't played it myself, so decision pending there.

3) It is indeed a better optimized experience than PUBG, that has been widely reported

4) It sure is interesting watching the subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at MS and Bluehole since a battle royale game is now on PS4. A lot of hurt feelings over a timed exclusive. And yet, I sense that if the shoe was on the other foot, invariably, a good number of responses would be different.

Great a million players that they made $0 off of. Let's see if it holds or translates to any actual money. No I do not think people are playing pvp then buying the pve mode. They have very little to do with each other.

Alienous

Great a million players that they made $0 off of. Let's see if it holds or translates to any actual money. No I do not think people are playing pvp then buying the pve mode. They have very little to do with each other.

Priority 1 is getting as big of a playerbase as you can. Priority 2 is monetization.

They're going to make bank.

Apathy

Pretty sure their monetizing model is going to be cosmetics

Toni

Somewhere in Redmond, Phil Spencer just bit through a pencil

Can you imagine if they had fully bought Epic Games?

They'd be in a drastically different position right now from a first party stand point. Big time.

Like, they'd have the ultimate counter to Naughty Dog. Epic Games is very, very talented from a technical side. MS was very unwise to let them go.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Weapon skins

Taunts

Parachute skins

Custom pickaxes

New melee weapons with skins

Hats, shirts, pants, shoes

Yes, I can't believe people would even question how they are going to make money. There are many examples of F2P games making insane amounts of money. The hardest part is getting players to play.

I'll d/l this tonight and give it a shot.

They'd be in a drastically different position right now from a first party stand point. Big time.

Like, they'd have the ultimate counter to Naughty Dog. Epic Games is very, very talented from a technical side. MS was very unwise to let them go.

Microsoft's first party studio does not lack a technical powerhouse. And Epic hasn't created a great game on their own since like, Gears 3?

I_D

2) Optimization is perfect on max settings, whereas I have to run PUBG on all very low with maxed out view distance on a 980 TI SLI

Both are fun games with different play styles.

The hyperbole in some threads is so insane that I can't tell if you're joking.
If you're serious, you have a major PC issue.

I run 4k all-max settings at 40-60fps with a single 980ti.

I've never played Fortnite, but now that it's F2P I'll give it a shot. I can't stand the TF2-lite artstyle, but hopefully the gameplay makes up for it.

RdN

I was one of those!

Played for about 4 hours last night and had a blast!

As someone who doesn't have a gaming PC, finally playing a battle royale game was pretty fun! I was immediately hooked.

Looking forward to PUBG on the Xbox One X next year!

Strakt

I've never played Fortnite, but now that it's F2P I'll give it a shot. I can't stand the TF2-lite artstyle, but hopefully the gameplay makes up for it.

PUBG @ 4k at 40-60 fps with a single 980 TI? LOL good one homie. There are streamers who run the game @ 1440p on 1080 TI SLI (Lirik) and he has to even turn down his settings to get high fps. Its common knowledge that the game has optimization issues.

You might be the exception and not the rule here.

PUBG is really REALLY badly optimized.

Edit: I didnt even see "all max 4k". Holy fuck LOL. Seriously?

Hari Seldon

They need to get this game on steam if they plan on competing with PUBG on PC. I have never heard of the epic launcher until this announcement lol.

Ploid 3.0

We're so lucky they didn't (everyone). How would things be without Unreal4 being an option for devs. I would like to see how Naughty Dog would be as a engine developer for PC, but it seems like they are just better with Sony's support to be able to do what they want, and they help other developers making games for Sony's platform so that's nice. It just doesn't seem like ND would be the same without Sony, while Epic has been their own thing for a long time.

Top Bottom