• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale had Over 1 Million Players on its First Day

leburn98

Assuming that these numbers will hold for the foreseeable future, I'm curious how this will play out for PUBG on Xbox One now that a F2P alternative is not only available on all platforms, but available now. You have to think Microsoft expected this to be a unique, big exclusive for them this Holiday.

Assuming that these numbers while hold for the foreseeable future, I'm curious how this will play out for PUBG on Xbox One now that a F2P alternative is not only available on all platforms, but available now. You have to think Microsoft expected this to be a unique, big exclusive for them this Holiday.
PUBG's still the better game in my opinion, and still has a larger Twitch following.

The art style difference between the two might also define their audiences.

arimanius

I'm actually genuinely curious about how else they could have pushed this out the door so quickly. The game went from what? 4-player co-op, to 100-player PvP just like that? Essentially, everything needed for a Battle Royale game is already here, and then some?

The Unreal Tournament Team made this mode while the main Fortnite team worked on the PvE side. They also talked about pvp all the way back in alpha.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Played a match the other day and was impressed. They're far ahead of PUBG in a lot of areas, optimization being a huge one. Parachuting isn't a complete laggy disaster. Actually, just generally a lot of things that are broken in PUBG work right out of the box in Fortnite.

But I don't know if the gun system for the base game transferred over all that well to Battle Royale. In PUBG, most players know the guns, and they know the ammo types, etc... Inventory management is a large part of surviving. In Fortnite, there doesn't appear to be any inventory management, and instead you appear to just pick up weapons and ammo.

Hoping they make the gunplay better.

I'm actually genuinely curious about how else they could have pushed this out the door so quickly. The game went from what? 4-player co-op, to 100-player PvP just like that? Essentially, everything needed for a Battle Royale game is already here, and then some?

Dunno how representative that Steam population is in terms of active users. Consoles generally have significantly higher player counts in games than PC.

Because Epic > bluehole and its their engine. Bluehole is doing a great job at making development of BR game mode look hard. It really isn't when using an engine like UE4 or Frostbite. It helps that epic already had all of the art done, and most of the mechanics needed in the base game. All they had to do is scale what was there in Fortnite and fix netcode issues.

Struct09

Played a little last night and found it to be fun. It won't replace PUBG for me but I'll still play FNBR from time to time.

FaintDeftone

I actually prefer this over PUBG. It feels smoother to play and feels less tactical and more arcadey. I also like how it feels like a parody of PUBG. I just seem to have more fun in this world compared to the other.

I think a lot of people will appreciate this due to the fact that so many people do not have PCs capable of playing PUBG and this gives you that experience for free and across a wider variety of platforms.

Assuming that these numbers while hold for the foreseeable future, I'm curious how this will play out for PUBG on Xbox One now that a F2P alternative is not only available on all platforms, but available now. You have to think Microsoft expected this to be a unique, big exclusive for them this Holiday.

Personally I don't think it's going to change much, PUBG will still be popular on consoles. While these numbers are good, just have to wait and see if it holds and also this is 1 mil over 3 platforms where as PUBG is usually between 1.3-1.5 mil on PC alone.

Some will like the simplicity that BR brings and your gonna have a set that will like the more in-depth complexity of pubg.

One thing pubg will need to do is to release some substantial content drops to keep their base interested though and to pull in some new ones, same goes for BR.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Really solid numbers! I can't say that I'll try Fortnite BR because PUBG destroyed my interest in this kind of games... but I may give it a try, since it's free and all.

Gotta say I would prefer to play PUBG, but with a PS4 I only have one option, and Fortnite has been fun for the first hour, so I'll take it.

I'm downloading it now but I just hate how PlayStation hides the true amount of GBs that are needed to download for the entire game, just stupid

The store said 6.8 but it's actually 8.9 to start / 13.45 total

I'm hyped to play though, don't have a gaming pc so it's my first game like this D:

Dyle

Cool, I'll try it out tonight. I haven't been interested in PUBG because I would only play solo and it seems like its most fun comes in working with a team. But for the price of free, I'm definitely interested

Alienous

On a scale of 1-10 how hard do you think the Ghost Recon Wildlands team is working on their own Battle Royale mode right now?

It's like an arms race.

What are the chances that the BR mode of Fortnite will overshadow the main game, and what would that mean.

Very high, and it will mean that a mode with very potential but ruined by mobile f2p progression could be replaced by a new mode that realizes the building gameplay potential much better than the one they intended.

Scrawnton

I can't wait to see how salty PUBG fans are and how even more salty Nintendo fans are when Fortnite: Battle Royals wins game of the year.

Ploid 3.0

Unfortunately, I am super concerned abut Fortnite. Fevir had a video about the Pay 2 Win aspects of the game, and it seems sinister; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Ac9GmJTls&t=

I hope they will change it because that is just too unreasonable. :(

Man I can't wait for the BR mode to get some skins. The characters in FN PVE look so cool. I might end up buying a good pack on that mode before it goes free to play. I kinda want to play it now, but I have too much stuff to do already.

I really really like the artstyle of this game. If they can manage to make it look 3x's better like they did with paragon that will be insane. I'm sure the graphical side of this game is done though, but they can add more I bet, it's still not finished. Though I though Paragon was as good as it was going to get and was happy with it before the latest graphical update (which just feels like beauty overload actually. Epic flexing their engine muscle though).

This kinda points to PUBG being a completely different experience on Xbox.

The gunplay in this compared to PUBG is really arcadey and underwhelming. Just third person stick shooting.

I don't really see how Bluehole could transfer PUBGs gunplay to console and maybe with the success of Fortnite they'll just emulate Epic.

Scrawnton

Sarcasm ?
Yes. Have you ever entered any of the "PUBG hits "x amount" concurrent steam players" threads? It was riddled with "can't wait to see how salty Nintendo fans are when PUBG wins GotY."

It's good to see PUBG get some competition. I like the game but it runs horribly on my machine despite me being able to run pretty much anything else at 1080p 60fps ultra settings. Its awesome this game runs real smooth, maybe it'll get Bluehole to sit down and begin to better optimize their product.

Rymuth

Congrats. Excited to see when they'll be adding vehicles.

On a scale of 1-10 how hard do you think the Ghost Recon Wildlands team is working on their own Battle Royale mode right now?

It's like an arms race.

I'm almost certain EA's working on their own spin. Gotta strike while the iron's hot and with the 12(?) month exclusivity on Xbox, that's more of the pie to go around.

Blam

GR would be perfect for this type of mode. Everyone knows it. $$$$$$$

Wildlands in a sense was built for this. The map is perfect for a BR styled mode especially since you might just be able to do random areas and then lock it to that.

Z3M0G

With no way for it to make any money other than promoting the sale of the other game mode?

It is pretty crazy on PS4... always instant match into a new 100 person game...

I need to watch more closely though... I suspect many of those 100 are connect-failed clients who never even exit the bus... I bet as soon as the bus leaves the map, the player count drops by 40...

Fuck I wanna go home and check that now...

Ploid 3.0

Congrats. Excited to see when they'll be adding vehicles.

I'm almost certain EA's working on their own spin. Gotta strike while the iron's hot and with the 12(?) month exclusivity on Xbox, that's more of the pie to go around.

So many fumbles on the PUBG situation. That Xbox exclusive situation is really going to slow them down, even though it seems that they couldn't afford(?) the resources to make it for both platforms at the same time. They made so much money on early access I'd be hitting up any avenue to get that to work, but now they have sharks ready to attack the bigger console userbase all to themselves with PUBG locked out.

Alienous

"But ... but Anthem's engine wasn't built to support 100 players".

Top Bottom