• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 · Review Thread

Rourkey

Guess reviewers need to give themselves some wriggle room in case driveclub, project cars etc need higher scores

Ps they wont

Gaming Age 100/100 or "A"

Outside of that, I found Forza Horizon 2 to be stunning, and one of the best new-generation titles I’ve played this year, even outside of the racing genre. There’s so much content packed into this game that I could easily continue to play and see new things weeks after this review is posted. And the the world crafted by Playground Games is so fun to explore, I certainly wouldn’t mind doing just that. Even if you just have a passing interest in racing games, you really owe it to yourself to check out Forza Horizon 2.

bedlamite

Fucking Polygon man.

Going out to get an Xbox this weekend, wasn't in any particular rush before but the hype for this game is overwhelming me.

Rourkey

Fucking Polygon man.

Going out to get an Xbox this weekend, wasn't in any particular rush before but the hype for this game is overwhelming me.

Its seriously so much fun, Haven't played a racer ive enjoyed since burnout takedown, this puts the same smile on my face!

I didn't?

Of course i'm not saying that the situations are remotely the same, but it does remind me of that thread. Just the outrage at a lower digit coming from people who simply are not in the position to know whether that score is actually deserved or not. That is all.

Dude, relax. Nobody's having a meltdown. Polygon does have a rep for singling out certain games that have unanimous praise and giving them a little bit of shit. It's really not even the score but the tone of the Polygon FH2 review. Every time he says something good he has to cut it back down with a big "BUT it sucks for this reason." I think the game does everything it set out to do and then some. The reviewer seems to have a fundamental problem with what the Horizon series is meant to be.

Again, all of this is fine but don't expect people who disagree not to call them out a little. We are allowed to think Polygon is being a bit harsh, especially considering that 90% of reviews are glowing. The fact that the reviewer only gave the game one point higher than Destiny's 6 is a bit ridiculous in my OPINION. But I base that opinion on the written review, not the number, and in my opinion Polygon's written review comes off as weirdly negative, even for a 7 which is a decent score, but they know what they're doing by giving it that and the kind of BS it'll certainly stir up. That's what they do.

Percy

Banned
Guessing not a single reviewer felt the need to question why a racing game released on a brand new console in 2014 can't run at 60fps, especially considering the previous game in the franchise that was at the launch of said console managed it, yeah?

It's no wonder I find the games media to be such a joke, more concerned about suckling at the teet of the advertisers than addressing actual concerns when it comes to informing the consumer.

T.O.P

Banned
Guessing not a single reviewer felt the need to question why a racing game released on a brand new console in 2014 can't run at 60fps, especially considering the previous game in the franchise that was at the launch of said console managed it, yeah?

It's no wonder I find the games media to be such a joke, more concerned about suckling at the teet of the advertisers than addressing actual concerns when it comes to informing the consumer.

andherewego.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well this just confirms that Polygon are being paid by MS. They're deliberately lowballing FH2 to disguise their bias! Despicable.

The joke is on you, my friend.

Jonnax

Perhaps it didn't affect their enjoyment of the game? And whose concerns are they? The majority of consumers have no clue what frames per seconds are.

KOLXsGV.gif

Prototype

Damn, sounds like universal praise to me.

Gonna have to make sure someone I know with an xbone picks this up. Just looks too fun.
Edit. I loved the test drive unlimited series and hearing and seeing the comparisons to it make me want to play it so bad

One4U

Banned

What the hell of this post? I cannot believe my eyes.

Prototype

Damn Percy give it a break yo.

I'd personally rather have a locked and rock steady 30fps then a 60 that fluctuates.

30 fps isn't the end of the world for racing games no matter how cool and elevating it feels to say it is.

jesu

lol

You don't understand.

Horizon 2 could be 60fps, but less pretty.
DriveClub could be 60fps, but less pretty.
Forza Motorsport could be 30fps, and more pretty.
They are choices. Choices made this generation, last generation and will be in the next console generation.

And it has nothing to do with this console generation at all. The original Gran Turismo had a 60fps mode unlocked at the end. It stripped back a lot of track detail to deliver this, but it was done on a console from the mid-90s.

Here's the thing. Developers have 100 magic computer beans. No more, no less. In every console. They can spend the beans on frame rate and on how pretty each frame is, but they will never have more than 100.

The choice where to spend these is often made on the type of game it is. So a developer of a simulation style racing game may decide to spend 70 of those beans on the frame rate, but just 30 on making each frame pretty. The developer knows the players of this game will favour the high frame and control response over graphical flourishes and anti-aliasing.

Meanwhile a developer making an arcade style racing game might decide that making the game prettier than any other is their aim and without all the physics there's power to spare. 20 beans are used for the frame rate and 80 to make it pretty. The result a game locked at 30fps.

Then there are the complications of closed circuits versus streaming an open world. The former might need 10 beans, the latter 30 beans. Leaving you just 70 beans for frame rate and pretty graphics.

But at every stage there are clear choices of priorities. And it doesn't matter which console generation you choose there will always be these choices. The next generation won't mean every racing game will be 60fps, it will mean developers once again decide where to put the power depending on the type of game they are building.

Every console generation we get arguments like yours. And it is just wrong. Yes it would be great if Horizon 2 was 60fps. But do you know what Playground would have done if it had the console hardware to do that? Would we get this game looking like this but at 60fps? I doubt it - I bet the developer would have used that extra horsepower to make the game even more detailed and beautiful, at a locked 30fps.

That's not to say there aren't problems with some games. For example Gran Turismo 5 strives to be pretty at 60fps and fails to hit that frame rate a lot of the time. The frame rate itself is not always the problem - but the lack of consistency. Horizon is ridiculously smooth for a 30fps racer, GT5 often feels jerky even though the frame rate is higher. It seems Polyphony gave 70 magic beans for frame rate, but let the part of the game that wants to be pretty take some of those beans away sometimes. I don't like that approach. I'd rather we had 60 or 30 and locked it. Inconsistency is where problems lie. And yes in an ideal world 60fps would be great for all games. But to enforce that takes the choice away from developers. The Horizon 2 demo shows the locked 30fps works great for that game - it really is smooth and snappy enough for the kind of game it was. Forza Motorsport 6 will need to be 60 fps, as will GT7 - but their focus is different.

TL:DR you're wrong

Percy, you are an embarrassment to us all.

previous game in the franchise ran at 30. Open world racer. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, an absolute blast to play. But yes, you were really never interested in purchasing it now were you?

acm2000

You don't understand.

They are choices. Choices made this generation, last generation and will be in the next console generation.

And it has nothing to do with this console generation at all. The original Gran Turismo had a 60fps mode unlocked at the end. It stripped back a lot of track detail to deliver this, but it was done on a console from the mid-90s.

Here's the thing. Developers have 100 magic computer beans. No more, no less. In every console. They can spend the beans on frame rate and on how pretty each frame is, but they will never have more than 100.

The choice where to spend these is often made on the type of game it is. So a developer of a simulation style racing game may decide to spend 70 of those beans on the frame rate, but just 30 on making each frame pretty. The developer knows the players of this game will favour the high frame and control response over graphical flourishes and anti-aliasing.

Meanwhile a developer making an arcade style racing game might decide that making the game prettier than any other is their aim and without all the physics there's power to spare. 20 beans are used for the frame rate and 80 to make it pretty. The result a game locked at 30fps.

Then there are the complications of closed circuits versus streaming an open world. The former might need 10 beans, the latter 30 beans. Leaving you just 70 beans for frame rate and pretty graphics.

But at every stage there are clear choices of priorities. And it doesn't matter which console generation you choose there will always be these choices. The next generation won't mean every racing game will be 60fps, it will mean developers once again decide where to put the power depending on the type of game they are building.

Every console generation we get arguments like yours. And it is just wrong. Yes it would be great if Horizon 2 was 60fps. But do you know what Playground would have done if it had the console hardware to do that? Would we get this game looking like this but at 60fps? I doubt it - I bet the developer would have used that extra horsepower to make the game even more detailed and beautiful, at a locked 30fps.

That's not to say there aren't problems with some games. For example Gran Turismo 5 strives to be pretty at 60fps and fails to hit that frame rate a lot of the time. The frame rate itself is not always the problem - but the lack of consistency. Horizon is ridiculously smooth for a 30fps racer, GT5 often feels jerky even though the frame rate is higher. It seems Polyphony gave 70 magic beans for frame rate, but let the part of the game that wants to be pretty take some of those beans away sometimes. I don't like that approach. I'd rather we had 60 or 30 and locked it. Inconsistency is where problems lie. And yes in an ideal world 60fps would be great for all games. But to enforce that takes the choice away from developers. The Horizon 2 demo shows the locked 30fps works great for that game - it really is smooth and snappy enough for the kind of game it was. Forza Motorsport 6 will need to be 60 fps, as will GT7 - but their focus is different.

the most in depth responce to a troll post ever, well done! :p

One4U

Banned
You don't understand.

Very good response. Totally agree with you. But I am not sure if Percy will read this. He just trolled here and left.

Very good response. Totally agree with you. But I am not sure if Percy will read this. He just trolled here and left.

the most in depth responce to a troll post ever, well done! :p

Perhaps. I was assuming he was a child rather than trolling, and when my kids ask dumb questions I try to help them out with an easy to understand explanation. Hence the magic computer beans. :)

Footos22

Im sure you could get it running as nice as it looks at 60fps.
Halt the release. LET PERCY TAKE THE REIGNS

Top Bottom