• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

FordGTGuy

Banned
If you think the difference on Youtube is big the real life difference mist be gigantic. Remember that YouTube hides details from Horizon 2 on Xbox One and hides ugliness from Xbox 360.

That is exactly why they've been so hush-hush on the X360 version, not because they aren't confident but because the most popular video ser if on the internet basically puts a baseline layer on every video, it would only make the Xbox One version look worse in the end.

Considering it's an Xbox 360 game in which you can drive anywhere, I think it looks decent. I wonder if most of the races are different, because I'm still considering getting it if it's not practically the same game. But boy, do the theories about Microsoft hiding the 360 version because it looks too good sound funny now.

Doffen

If you think the difference on Youtube is big the real life difference mist be gigantic. Remember that YouTube hides details from Horizon 2 on Xbox One and hides ugliness from Xbox 360.

That is exactly why they've been so hush-hush on the X360 version, not because they aren't confident but because the most popular video ser if on the internet basically puts a baseline layer on every video, it would only make the Xbox One version look worse in the end.

They should have named the 360 version something else.

Some parts of that 360 footage looked so...bland and lifeless compared to the X1 version. Like this part:

agDo8p.gif

There's no way there's a flat ground texture on the X1 version there, right? I'd think that would be evidence of the drawbacks that would had to have been made for the 360 version.

It still looks decent, though, don't get me wrong.

p3tran

Banned
hehehe
hold on, I see some double standards there.. hides beauty from one, while at the same time hides ugly from the other :D
it doesnt go that way :D
360 version -assuming dev kept the forza standards- will look much smoother and crisper alive than in any compressed internet file.

horizon 2 should be a better version of 360 horizon, with better content too.
that ain't so bad.
but it doesnt offer everything the xbone version does. be it visually or in physics or gameplay.

FordGTGuy

Banned
hehehe
hold on, I see some double standards there.. hides beauty from one, while at the same time hides ugly from the other :D
it doesnt go that way :D
360 version -assuming dev kept the forza standards- will look much smoother and crisper alive than in any compressed internet file.

horizon 2 should be a better version of 360 horizon, with better content too.
that ain't so bad.
but it doesnt offer everything the xbone version does. be it visually or in physics or gameplay.

As someone who records game X360 and Xbox One game videos on a Elgato at 40mbps and uploads them to Youtube... This is exactly how it works.

Hiding details can be anything from bad anti-aliasing, fine texture detail, resolution clarity or non-clarity and more.

Certinty

I'll wait to hear some impressions before deciding what version to get. Figure if the 360 version plays anywhere near as well as the XO version I might as well save the £300+.

p3tran

Banned
As someone who records game X360 and Xbox One game videos on a Elgato at 40mbps and uploads them to Youtube... This is exactly how it works.

Hiding details can be anything from bad anti-aliasing, fine texture detail, resolution clarity or non-clarity and more.
horizon 1 on 360 had one of the best image quality in any game last gen re.
it used 4xMSAA at a 1280x720/30 rock solid vsyncd.
you can roll back the entire game catalog of last generation, I will be surprised if you can bring more than a handful of equally good examples.

if horizon 2 is as good technically, it will also benefit on the looks from the better landscape etc because southern europe.

I'll wait to hear some impressions before deciding what version to get. Figure if the 360 version plays anywhere near as well as the XO version I might as well save the £300+.
look, horizon 2 on xbone runs on forza motorsport 5 engine. thats a huge difference regarding how it plays.
horizon 2 on 360 will probably play exactly the same events, have exactly the same cars, but will be running on forza horizon 1 engine.
other differences exist like tuning and mechanical damage and weather and the online model. drivatars too.

Arucardo

Awwww man, two or three days ago I had absolutely zero hype for this (Yes I've owned every forza game up to the 360 ones, Forza 3 and 4 were my stepping stones for more hardcore sim racing).

Fast forward to last night, I brought home an Xbox One with Forza 5 and today I pre-ordered the Horizon 2 Ultimate edition...I already feel bad about spending all that money, lol. I even told myself that I won't buy the Xbox one just for Forza...

Anyways, looking forward to racing with the car club :D

p3tran

Banned
Awwww man, two or three days ago I had absolutely zero hype for this (Yes I've owned every forza game up to the 360 ones, Forza 3 and 4 were my stepping stones for more hardcore sim racing).

Fast forward to last night, I brought home an Xbox One with Forza 5 and today I pre-ordered the Horizon 2 Ultimate edition...I already feel bad about spending all that money, lol. I even told myself that I won't buy the Xbox one just for Forza...

Anyways, looking forward to racing with the car club :D

well arucardo, you didnt lie to yourself.
you did not buy the xbone for forza 5.
you bought it for forza 5 AND forza horizon 2.
I see no problem there :)
also, you ain't done spending yet, as both games play superlative with the wheel ;pp

edit:
Helios!!
#$%^&*()_{GFDFGHJKL :D

RyudBoy

Are we watching different videos? Barring some texture differences and slightly less detailed trees/foliage, it doesn't really all that different from the X1 version.

I'd say that says more about the Horizon 1 and how good it looked back in 2012, so it shouldn't be surprise H2 on 360 looks great, but let's not pretend that footage is somehow leagues ahead of the X1.

Sumo have done an amazing job. Big round of applause for them, hopefully this sees them get some work on the next PGR or RSC. *hint, hint*

Bro, you are smoking crack if you don't think there is a big difference.

But I'll say it again, it looks good for a 360 game, and it runs really smooth. People who enjoyed FH1 and only own a 360 should have a blast with it.

Our review at USgamer just went up, a long monster of a review that culminates in 5/5.

It'll actually get longer when I add my second opinion, though it's much like the first in this case.

Fantastic review.

I urge everyone to read this and the Polygon review to see why Arthur is SO off the mark.

Forget the scores, this is the difference between someone who enjoys racing games and someone who loves racing games.

Odah

Banned
Gonna get my copy on wednesday

now all I have to do is kick my brother out of the living room where the xbawks stands

Arucardo

well arucardo, you didnt lie to yourself.
you did not buy the xbone for forza 5.
you bought it for forza 5 AND forza horizon 2.
I see no problem there :)
also, you ain't done spending yet, as both games play superlative with the wheel ;pp

edit:
Helios!!
#$%^&*()_{GFDFGHJKL :D

NNNOOOOO!. I'm still waiting to see what Fanatec has for the new consoles. The new Clubsport isn't out of my price range either ;) .

The 458 Thrustmaster or whatever it's named for the Xbox One is a little "cheap" in my opinion, but that could be remedied by an adapter for the CSR Elite's and hopefully and adapter for the TH8RS I have. I'd like to have a wheel that works on both consoles like my PWTS did last gen. I'm not too bothered about playing Forza with a gamepad though, PC sims have spoiled me when it comes to using a wheel.

NNNOOOOO!. I'm still waiting to see what Fanatec has for the new consoles. The new Clubsport isn't out of my price range either ;) .

The 458 Thrustmaster or whatever it's named for the Xbox One is a little "cheap" in my opinion, but that could be remedied by an adapter for the CSR Elite's and hopefully and adapter for the TH8RS I have. I'd like to have a wheel that works on both consoles like my PWTS did last gen. I'm not too bothered about playing Forza with a gamepad though, PC sims have spoiled me when it comes to using a wheel.

As a PWTS owner I know that feel. But the Fanatec option is going to be pricey. Like $500 for the base and likely $200 a piece for the XB1 &PS4 rims, if your willing to go beyond $900 I salute you.

stitch512

Banned

Looks like the new Fanatec Clubsport will have a rim that is for the Xbox one going by their latest teaser on facebook. Hopefully will be available before the end of the year.

Arucardo

As a PWTS owner I know that feel. But the Fanatec option is going to be pricey. Like $500 for the base and likely $200 a piece for the XB1 &PS4 rims, if your willing to go beyond $900 I salute you.

Yeah I know, we're talking pretty close to 1000 eur over here in Finland if I'd get both rims.

Are we watching different videos? Barring some texture differences and slightly less detailed trees/foliage, it doesn't really all that different from the X1 version.

I'd say that says more about the Horizon 1 and how good it looked back in 2012, so it shouldn't be surprise H2 on 360 looks great, but let's not pretend that footage is somehow leagues ahead of the X1.

Sumo have done an amazing job. Big round of applause for them, hopefully this sees them get some work on the next PGR or RSC. *hint, hint*

I just watched the intro race from the boat, and immediately I noticed dramatically worse textures, tons of missing foliage, greatly stripped down lighting, far less motion blur, far less cars on the track, missing dynamic cameras like the one where the cut scene leads directly into gameplay at the start of the race, and more loading screens in general.

Anyone else downloaded the deluxe bundle?

When I click manage the VIP file it takes me to the store and say £15.99 and not purchased, that normal?

I think it is normal and has to do with the way they're handling the bundle.

It is the same way with the car pass for Forza 5. I own the pass, but if I try to download the packs individually, it wants to charge me.

Yeah I know, we're talking pretty close to 1000 eur over here in Finland if I'd get both rims.

The TX also has its own hidden cost, the stock pedals are crap. I have a set of fanatec clubsport pedals, but I wasn't a fan of how basherboards changed their ordering process for his adapter so I just bought the T3PA pedals. So your adding another $40-100 depending on which way you go.

It was worth it though :)

Arucardo

Looks like the Xbox One rim for the Fanatec Clubsport base V2 is being teased on the Fanatec facebook page. I just hope it's a normal (round) looking rim.

Looks like the Xbox One rim for the Fanatec Clubsport base V2 is being teased on the Fanatec facebook page. I just hope it's a normal (round) looking rim.

They said they had one deal in place for one of the next gen rims, I assumed it was Sony. But looking back on all of Thomas statements over the company's plans for next gen he wasn't critical of MS but spoke in riddles regarding the situation on PS4. I wonder what the situation is at Sony for non thrustmaster products.

Jamesways

Come on people. Of course the Bone version looks better. The 360 version still looks fantastic though.

Agreed, I think the 360 version looks great. FH1 engine is still quite impressive visually, and this'll be a real treat for 360 owners.

Mascot- I turn 41 on wed. Booo.

On another note, pretty great reviews so far, really nice to see.

Pophead

Thank you, it's much appreciated. Are you playing the game?

By the way, I think the 360 footage warrants its own thread, many people were interested in how that version would look and play.

No its not my footage, found it while searching it up on YouTube, was only published quite recently.

And sadly for some reason, I cannot create a thread - if I could I would.

If any of you want to, go ahead, but some credit would be nice :3

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Our review at USgamer just went up, a long monster of a review that culminates in 5/5.

It'll actually get longer when I add my second opinion, though it's much like the first in this case.

great review. Have to echo this part
Indeed, one of the very few criticisms I have of the game is that it would be nice to be able to more clearly see the checkpoint beyond the next upcoming one, so that you can plan your racing line, or cross-country shortcut a little more ahead of time

Pophead

I think it looks good for a 360 game. Obviously the x1 looks a lot better but if I only had a 360 I'd be perfectly happy with how it looks.

Yeah, I only have a 360 and I think its perfectly acceptable. At least now I won't have to buy a XBONE to drive the new road cars to Horizon, shame about the lack of open wheelers and purpose built rally cars though.

Huracan, P1 and LaFerrari should shut me up.

Top Bottom