• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

Wow! If I didn't have an X1, I'd totally be happy to play the X360 version. I mean, yeah, it looks much less visually impressive and isn't quite as seamless as the current gen game, but it looks like a perfectly fine take on the same game otherwise. Amazing what 2004/2005 hardware can do with a nice software base they have in Horizon 1 and Sumo apparently squeezing/redesigning as much of the core game Playground/Turn 10 has made for a much more powerful platform. The difference between them, though, is extremely large when put next to each other, just going by Youtube caps.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Something tells me that they decided to go with a less demanding weather method on the windshield and so on in order for the system to maybe get use in Motorsport without killing the frame rate. It will be really interesting to watch what technologies will be carried over. I'm really hoping for GI and weather in the next Motorsport.

I'm really happy about the increased smoke though, hoping that in the future we might see Azure help out in this regard. Seems like a perfect feature for Azure as you could start doing burnout and the local hardware can handle the initial smoke and once Azure sees what is happening can take over and expotentionally increase the smoke.

m23

I find myself stopping every 5 minutes to take a picture in this game. For some reason the pictures aren't being uploaded to the FM website though. Perhaps because it's still early?

It looks pretty reasonable for a 360 game however it is certainly leagues behind the X1 version.

Watch the final race towards the end of the video. Then race that same section in the demo. The difference is pretty massive.

Please.

zGo5Mru.jpg

4ZbRvLY.jpg

Gj5alwz.jpg

tVi939I.jpg

Bro, you are smoking crack if you don't think there is a big difference.

But I'll say it again, it looks good for a 360 game, and it runs really smooth. People who enjoyed FH1 and only own a 360 should have a blast with it.

I just watched the intro race from the boat, and immediately I noticed dramatically worse textures, tons of missing foliage, greatly stripped down lighting, far less motion blur, far less cars on the track, missing dynamic cameras like the one where the cut scene leads directly into gameplay at the start of the race, and more loading screens in general.

A lesson in why you shouldn't watch YT clips on your phone and then make a comparison.

Watching it again on my laptop, the difference is certainly more pronounced, but not as big as I originally thought it might be. The 360 version is incredibly competent from the clip. Hard to really find fault, they've massively opened up the world while managing to keep a steady 30fps.

Sumo Digital knocking it out of the park. Almost tempted to pick up both...

Gestault

Are we watching different videos? Barring some texture differences and slightly less detailed trees/foliage, it doesn't really all that different from the X1 version.

I'd say that says more about the Horizon 1 and how good it looked back in 2012, so it shouldn't be surprise H2 on 360 looks great, but let's not pretend that footage is somehow leagues ahead of the X1.

I can't say I agree here. It looks (appropriately enough) like a generational difference. That doesn't mean the 360 version looks terrible, by any stretch, but literally every element on screen looks dramatically better.

Kssio_Aug

The X360 version is not looking that bad, I guess we're just used to look at current-gen games already. But it it looks a bit strange and inconsistent... its like it was a early development stage, some parts are good, other seems to lack too much details.

Somehow I believe that making this game for both platforms, even done by different teams, caused the game graphical quality to be a bit inconsistent on both. It's like too much for the X360 to handle, and I'm sure that the XB1 could do better in some other aspects. Don't get me wrong cause I loved FH2 graphics and even pre-ordered its Ultimate Pack, its gorgeous! But a detail or another seems somehow inconsistent to the game overall quality (like how the shadows moves with the day and night cycle for example). I believe that Forza Horizon 3 will look much better, not only because the team will be more adapted to the system, but they wont need to hold it back a bit for a X360 version of it (since I believe there wont be one).

The 360 version looks fine, and I'd be happy with it...if I'd never seen anything on the X1 version. But after seeing X1 screens, gameplay videos, and playing the demo for myself, there's no way I would be able to be happy with the 360 version. It's a generational difference to me.

I believe that Forza Horizon 3 will look much better, not only because the team will be more adapted to the system, but they wont need to hold it back a bit for a X360 version of it.
Oh yeah, if FH1 came out about seven years into the X360 lifespan to completely obliterate the expectations of what the system was capable of, I fully expect the same level of mindblowing jump at roughly the same distance from launch for X1 FH3. I don't believe FH2 was held back by X360, though, since the X1 game was simply adapted to what was possible on the older system. I don't expect X360 to get a sequel by that point, though, since it will be going on thirteen or more years from release and most likely a fully abandoned platform for active development.

m23

Wow, you can zoom very far back in photomode. Don't remember if we were able to go this far back in Horizon 1.

Noobcraft

360 version doesn't look that bad.

scjhgs.gif

fruyeo.gif
Its interesting how different the driving lines are between the two. Is this the exact same section of track? The 360 driver is going faster than the xb1 driver yet has a stable green line. Also the distance to the festival is different.
Edit: nevermind the distance... One is in km and the other in miles x_x
Double edit: actually there is a slight difference in the distance. 3 miles is 4.8km and in the gif it's at like 5.4 km on the Xbox one version

Aeqvitas

The 360 version looks ok for a 360 game, but I cannot understand all the people saying it looks almost the same as the X1. Such people would therefore reasonably be expected to say that any differences between multi plats this gen are undetectable then?

I think the 360 version will be okay for people with a casual interest in the title, but given the large gap not only in visuals but also things such as map size and weather, I think the best choice by far is the X1.

shinnn

The 360 version looks ok for a 360 game, but I cannot understand all the people saying it looks almost the same as the X1. Such people would therefore reasonably be expected to say that any differences between multi plats this gen are undetectable then?

I think the 360 version will be okay for people with a casual interest in the title, but given the large gap not only in visuals but also things such as map size and weather, I think the best choice by far is the X1.
Its easy to understand if you recognize the nicknames.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Me, you, Jack Aubrey and Petran should form MidLifeCrisisRacingGAF.

Any other potential members interested? No need to shout - we're old, not deaf.

I turned 41 last month.

LoveCake

Nice OT.

Looking forward to this, i loved the first game, i don't have a X1 & it's a shame that it seems the X360 version is missing some of the actual content & editions of the game, i have just the normal version on order, the season passes for Forza have somewhat spoiled the franchise for me, you never know what cars are going to be released & most of them are not that good, the best car i thought was the Lamborghini Aventador J in the first Forza Horizion, seeing as this is to be my last Forza game for sometime (i have moved to PS this gen) i will have to wait for Project CARS for my next gen racing upgrade.

I just hope there is a bit more longevity than the original & it will be nice to have a much more varied landscape to explore.

Me, you, Jack Aubrey and Petran should form MidLifeCrisisRacingGAF.

Any other potential members interested? No need to shout - we're old, not deaf.

The hours I spent lapping Paul Ricard in Chequered Flag on the Spectrum, using a little plastic wheel pressed onto the keyboard. I am indeed old.

1337Sauce

Don't know if this is accepted here, but I am continuing the stream that I posted on here last night. Picking up from about five hours into the game with a good amount of unlocks, so if you want to see some of the cars or other features just come by and ask!

http://www.twitch.tv/generaldrew

Once again if I shouldn't be posting this here I will gladly edit the post!

Don't know if this is accepted here, but I am continuing the stream that I posted on here last night. Picking up from about five hours into the game with a good amount of unlocks, so if you want to see some of the cars or other features just come by and ask!

http://www.twitch.tv/generaldrew

Once again if I shouldn't be posting this here I will gladly edit the post!

Trying to watch but apparently you're offline.

Also, unrelated question, do we have any photomode/official shots where you can actually see the rain falling and not just wet roads? Was wondering if it's possible, since the only other game that has both features doesn't show droplets in photomode.

shinnn

Watching the 1337Sauce livestream yesterday I saw the Urus. Didn't know it was in the game. Its part of the VIP car pack.

I actually didn't even knew that car exists lol.

03-lamborghini-urus-concept-monterey-620x411.jpg

Kssio_Aug

i think it looks plenty good for x360 i like what i see better than FH1 as far as i can tell

I dont think so, I mean, ofcourse we have to take in consideration that FH1 is much more limited then FH2, but look at that:

Forza Horizon 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=niDIEJwsujk#t=437

And now, look at that:

Forza Horizon 2 - X360:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP1RA8hLt1Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=643

Its hard to say. FH2 on X360 looks very inconsistent to me. Some places are pretty good, some seems to lack too much details. Overall I would say that FH1 is more consistent, so maybe it would please more my eyes, superficially saying (without taking in consideration the open-world and physics aspects).

Horizon 1 has density to the scenery that 2 (360!) seems to really lack in places.

2 is a mixed bag from what I've seen so far, doesn't have the consistency of the first.

Is it using FXAA with MSAA again?

Top Bottom