• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 | Storm Island Add-On revealed

Klocker

Amazing dlc... the races are amazing, good cars, weather is outstanding and the head to heads have me on the edge of my seat.

Love it. Bravo Playground

Can anyone tell me if they've returned to the normal game map and had their drivatars mess up at all? I switched back to Nice after a few hours and every single drivatar was an Escalade. I'm done with the game for tonight but I'm hoping it's not going to stick, wondering if anyone else has had it happen.

c0Zm1c

Cruise coast to coast in the Ferrari F40, medium difficulty? My arse. The only way I could do it was going off road, dodging through trees and travelling straight to the finish 'as the crow flies', accompanied by a lot of expletives!

Well, rain is an important part of motorsport in that it causes delays, since they don't race in rain.

It really depends on what motorsport you are referring to. NASCAR certainly doesn't race in the rain. However, many series, for example F1, do race in the rain. There is a limit of course as delays will happen if the rain gets severe.

MouldyK

Well, rain is an important part of motorsport in that it causes delays, since they don't race in rain.

Some auto racing series do not compete in rain, especially series that race on paved oval tracks. The rain severely diminishes the traction between the slick tires and the surface. Other series, especially those that race on road courses such as Formula One and public roads as in rallying, use special treaded rain tires while the surface is wet but not in excessively heavy rain, standing water, or lightning (which is an automatic cessation of racing because of pit crew, race marshals, and safety). Dirt track racing can be run in a light rain as the vehicles have treaded tires. Rallying can be held in rain or snow.

Forza 6 can at least have light rain or wet tracks.

And I think the odd Night Race could be fun. But I mostly just want races which can be randomly set in different times of the day. Not just constantly cloudy for Silverstone and constantly sunny for Prague.

KePoW

Banned
And I think the odd Night Race could be fun. But I mostly just want races which can be randomly set in different times of the day. Not just constantly cloudy for Silverstone and constantly sunny for Prague.

I agree with this. I don't necessarily think F6 will have full weather, because locked 60 fps severely limits the amount of graphical effects you can do real-time

But I think they should give the option of night or different times of day

I agree with this. I don't necessarily think F6 will have full weather, because locked 60 fps severely limits the amount of graphical effects you can do real-time

But I think they should give the option of night or different times of day
Yeah, that would definitely be a good start, and better than weather. As long as Turn 10 holds firm to a locked 60fps I trust them to make the right tech trade-offs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I can agree with this.
Light rain and wet tracks....not completely drenched but atleast tracks where the racing line changes ever so slightly because now theres a wet patch.

Other than that, i truly do expect Time of day and forecast options that affect track conditions.

Morning, Midday-ish, Evening, Night(for cars that qualify, imagine racing an F1 car at night with no stadium lights?)

Sunny, Partly Cloudy, Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, Completely Overcast, Light rain.

Hawk269

THIS SO MUCH.

I love the mainline Forza games as well as Horizon, but Forza mainline is my favorite. With what T10 was able to do for a launch title impressed me, but with all the changes and learnings, I hope that we FINALLY get time of day settings. I really do not expect dynamic weather or dynamic lighting due to T10 having a stance on 60fps and 1080p. But with that said, I think we should be able to have 3-4 different times of day for each track in the game and having a night time one for some of the tracks would be a nice surprise.

I also wish for qualifying or the ability to have it as an option, realistic working pit stops is another hope. Lastly, with the knowledge they have gained since launch, I really hope for some better image quality on top of time of day settings.

vesvci

Banned
To be honest, I think weather is kind of overrated and not really appropriate for Forza proper. It's not like racing in the rain is common or considered acceptable, as far as I know. It feels right in an arcade racer like Horizon, but why arcade up Forza?

One of my favorite racing titles from years ago was EA's NFS: High Stakes, which had great damage that affected your driving, and races in both the rain and snow, as well as night. My progression in the game came to a screeching halt when I had to finish 3rd in a 5 lap night race in the rain. The issue was, it was near impossible to get more than three laps without losing both my headlights. I would either hit someone, or a car would hit me. If you hit a sign, the light was gone.

I loved that game, but the rain and night racing ruined it for me.

I think rain and snow can be a fun addition, and Storm Island is crazy fun. I just don't know why someone would want it in a proper sim.

Good feedback. I'm considering getting the DLC, but I'm waiting on impressions. This helps, as opposed to others to try to overhype it.

ShogunX

Good feedback. I'm considering getting the DLC, but I'm waiting on impressions. This helps, as opposed to others to try to overhype it.

Plenty of impressions already in the thread and the two people you have quoted are talking about Forza 6 and not Forza Horizon 2. Just because people are enjoying the content doesn't mean it's being over hyped, if anything you should be pleased about the glowing impressions.

I just finished the first two championships before calling it a day, and I've yet to track down the Metro. For those that have, how is it to drive?

So FH2 has no season pass, right? I can either buy Storm island straight up for $20 or buy both itand the VIP pass for $30?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on an all encompassing DLC package.

GHG

Gold Member
So can you now rally tune any car and use that for the offroad races in the regular campaign?

So there I am, free-roaming in cockpit view, tearing it up with my Urus and listening to classical. Pedal to the metal to set a decent time on the speed camera looming ahead on this thin strip of tarmac, when over the crest comes two racers, taking up both lanes, heading straight for me - BOOOSH. WHAM. Windshield cracked.

*stop. hold up on the d-pad. the music stops. photo mode loads. hit LB to reset cosmetic damage. hit B to exit photo-mode. load time as I'm put back in the world*

I turn off the streets and head south on to the off-road trails. Winding up and down, forest on one side, gardens and homes on the other, weaving in and out of traffic, when over the crest speeds a Veyron who slams right into my kisser before I spin off into some bushes. Windshield cracked.

*stop. hold up on the d-pad. the music stops. photo mode loads. hit LB to reset cosmetic damage. hit B to exit photo-mode. load time as I'm put back in the world*

Head east on to another trail. Gather speed as I start to feel the groove of the tricked out Urus tearing up the dirt. Make a jump - WOOOOHOOO. Landing is good, but here comes another one - a big one - WOOOAAAHHHHHH - the Urus is tilting to one side, but I still manage to land on all four tires, avoiding any trees. But *crkkk*, my windshield is busted anyway.

Sometimes I get the feeling that nobody at Playground free roams it in cockpit view, because the above repeats pretty often, doubly so on Storm Island with all the blind hills and jumps and thin off road trails. Might have to switch to hood cam just to keep from getting my zone disturbed every few minutes, or in the case above, several times in two to three minutes.

Synth

So there I am, free-roaming in cockpit view, tearing it up with my Urus and listening to classical. Pedal to the metal to set a decent time on the speed camera looming ahead on this thin strip of tarmac, when over the crest comes two racers, taking up both lanes, heading straight for me - BOOOSH. WHAM. Windshield cracked.

I turn off the streets and head south on to the off-road trails. Winding up and down, forest on one side, gardens and homes on the other, weaving in and out of traffic, when over the crest speeds a Veyron who slams right into my kisser before I spin off into some bushes. Windshield cracked.

Head east on to another trail. Gather speed as I start to feel the groove of the tricked out Urus tearing up the dirt. Make a jump - WOOOOHOOO. Landing is good, but here comes another one - a big one - WOOOAAAHHHHHH - the Urus is tilting to one side, but I still manage to land on all four tires, avoiding any trees. But *crkkk*, my windshield is busted anyway.

Sometimes I get the feeling that nobody at Playground free roams it in cockpit view, because the above repeats pretty often, doubly so on Storm Island with all the blind hills and jumps and thin off road trails. Might have to switch to hood cam just to keep from getting my zone disturbed every few minutes, or in the case above, several times in two to three minutes.

Is there a reason you don't just turn the damage off?

Is there a reason you don't just turn the damage off?
There are two damage options: Cosmetic and Simulation. I have it set on cosmetic. Simulation would be the same except my car would be actually damaged in terms of how it drives until I took it to a garage.

There doesn't seem to be any way to escape your windshield busting.

Synth

There are two damage options: Cosmetic and Simulation. I have it set on cosmetic. Simulation would be the same except my car would be actually damaged in terms of how it drives until I took it to a garage.

There doesn't seem to be any way to escape your windshield busting.

There's three. None - Cosmetic - Simulation.

There's three. None - Cosmetic - Simulation.
Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick. I just checked before writing my last post and still missed that option. Must have a blind spot in my mind. Can't explain it.

I've never been happier to be corrected for being so fucking oblivious. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I suggest you turn off damage instead, it seems that you're driving with cosmetic only anyway.

EDIT: Beaten with that pogo stick.

Synth

Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick. I just checked before writing my last post and still missed that option. Must have a blind spot in my mind. Can't explain it.

I've never been happier to be corrected for being so fucking oblivious. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

You're welcome. :p

Why on earth would you do this?
Because unlike Forza proper, the odds of having a collision is greatly out of your control, because of the open world nature of the game.

I play full simulation damage in motorsport, but I just turn it off in horizon because I don't take the racing as serious, because your almost encouraged to drive irresponsibly.

That's the 6R4 found! As a owner of an MG Metro Turbo years ago i've always had a soft spot for the 6R4, the interior is even the same as my old car, feels like home! :)

GHG

Gold Member
Because unlike Forza proper, the odds of having a collision is greatly out of your control, because of the open world nature of the game.

I play full simulation damage in motorsport, but I just turn it off in horizon because I don't take the racing as serious, because your almost encouraged to drive irresponsibly.

I tend to go against the grain here then.

Full damage simulation on because it means driving right on the edge without going past it and going overboard or out of control. You actually have to hit jumps right, thread the needle through trees and against traffic or through fields. You always know you are one misjudgment or screw up away from your race being over. Its exhilarating.

Its infinitely more rewarding coming through and winning a race (or bucket list challenge) unscathed with full damage on in this game vs any other game I've ever played.

Then there is the nice change of pace and opportunity to relax and just cruise when doing the road trips in between.

All of this is why it pisses me off that there are no full damage only lobbies online for this game. The online bumper cars bullshit can easily be solved in this game through having lobbies with full damage only.

The H1 Rally DLC and this DLC are a deviation of the normal gameplay, which is always great. I hate DLC which adds more of the same stuff.

Part of me considers Forza Horizon 2 a tech-demo on what features Forza 6 should have, especially the weather, day/night cycle, better lighting and road types.

If Forza 6 does not have weather, I will be so disappointed.

I know everyone wants it, but pro circuit motorsports would red flag in such weather.

jesu

Those people you quoted and thought they were giving good feedback aren't actually talking about the DLC.
How is that good feedback?

vesvci

Banned
Plenty of impressions already in the thread and the two people you have quoted are talking about Forza 6 and not Forza Horizon 2. Just because people are enjoying the content doesn't mean it's being over hyped, if anything you should be pleased about the glowing impressions.

Downloaded the update, and got a whiff of the DLC...there's a difference between enjoying and overhyping stuff up. Personally, im looking for the positives and negatives, not just the positives. Waiting for the right time to pull the trigger...VIP makes the game more enjoyable for me, this DLC might add more, which is what I'm looking for.

Those people you quoted and thought they were giving good feedback aren't actually talking about the DLC.
How is that good feedback?

Defensive much?

KePoW

Banned

lol I thought you were trolling when you said there was only 2 options

tuna_love

Banned
Downloaded the update, and got a whiff of the DLC...there's a difference between enjoying and overhyping stuff up. Personally, im looking for the positives and negatives, not just the positives. Waiting for the right time to pull the trigger...VIP makes the game more enjoyable for me, this DLC might add more, which is what I'm looking for.

Defensive much?
Huh?

derFeef

Defensive much?

wut...

GHG

Gold Member

Defensive much?

I often get a "whiff" of things sometimes here on GAF...

In fact, I'm getting one right now.

I tend to go against the grain here then.

Full damage simulation on because it means driving right on the edge without going past it and going overboard or out of control. You actually have to hit jumps right, thread the needle through trees and against traffic or through fields. You always know you are one misjudgment or screw up away from your race being over. Its exhilarating.

Its infinitely more rewarding coming through and winning a race (or bucket list challenge) unscathed with full damage on in this game vs any other game I've ever played.

Then there is the nice change of pace and opportunity to relax and just cruise when doing the road trips in between.

All of this is why it pisses me off that there are no full damage only lobbies online for this game. The online bumper cars bullshit can easily be solved in this game through having lobbies with full damage only.

If it were just the other racers on the map with you I would leave damage on. But sometimes be the AI traffic cars do some crazy shit.

Top Bottom