• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 is one the first games encrypted with Microsoft’s new DRM

Detox

Ms seem to be stuck between a rock and hard place. Play anywhere is a good and probably necessary initiative to ensure their games have healthy online populations.

They need this level of security to protect their online communities. I wonder how rocket league handles hackers on pc.

Durante

But what do you think that can improve faster?
That would require the people behind the platform seeing user control as an "improvement".

Do you think they do? And if so, what ever gave you that idea?

It's not a right, it's a side effect of the platform you're using. You're not entitled to anything.
Right. And distribution methods which don't offer some of the most desirable features of a platform are not entitled to sales.

Ms seem to be stuck between a rock and hard place.
Entirely of their own making, and entirely due to app store envy.

John Wick

Just ignore the store completely, I find it very easy to do. There are games that would have been great to play (the latest Gears of War 4 weather gameplay looks great) but there is enough out there that it doesn't sting. Life goes on.

Luckily I got the Quantum Break code cheap. I regret getting the game. Total waste of time. This is 1 step forward and 3 steps back by MS. It's gonna make the hackers even more determined to break UWP. Gonna wait on Forza Horizon 3. See if it gets sorted or just buy on X1 down the line

shagia

response no matter what. Be it DRM issues or just bad port or whatever.

exactly, UWP has improved over time but still suffers from some real noticeable problems, because of that I 100% believe that they're listening to the complaints being dished about the platform

ending it with "oh it was gonna be horrible anyway" just isn't how you get things to change

Phinor

I noticed yesterday that there's Windows Explorer using 2-5% of my CPU (3570k@4.5GHz) when FH3 is running. I wonder if this is the encryption or just something else. It goes away when I shut down FH3. 2-5% wouldn't be that much, but FH3 is so damn CPU limited that every free CPU cycle feels almost critical.

LordRaptor

Heh, everything related to Windows store gets
It's a UWP game, it's dead in the water no matter what anyways.
response no matter what. Be it DRM issues or just bad port or whatever.

Yeah; there's a reason for that. It's the Donald Trump of software platforms.

It is completely unsuitable to hold the position it wants; that's not because of the 'elitist establishment' being 'haters'.

Right. And distribution methods which don't offer some of the most desirable features of a platform are not entitled to sales.
I guess the point I'm trying to get across is if a software publisher wants to enforce restrictions on how said software should be used, is that enough of a detractor for users to not play the games at all? Would you rather not having Microsoft doing the port jobs at all and keep them console exclusive instead? I don't think it's anti consumer on the grounds that devs/publishers should be able to enforce whatever rules they want regardless of platform and just because users are used to things being one way doesn't mean they have to be like that always. Like, if I couldn't mod something like Unreal Tournament it'd be a damn shame. But console ports like Forza? Wouldn't really bother me if I couldn't mod it at all.

Top Bottom