• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News: alleged serial killer has "an affinity" for "death-laden" Dark Souls

jimi_dini

image.php

Your name should be Sherlock Kitty. Well done.

Slair

Slightly off topic because it's more about the video than the Dark Souls bit, but the same guy who questions the validity of her claims says "The people in Alaska say 'listen, she lived in North Pole, that's right North Pole, Alaska up until the time she was five.' They don't have that many missing people in North Pole, Alaska."

Am I missing something with this story?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He's saying there is a discrepancy between the number of people she claims to have killed in that town, and the number of people from that town that are actually reported missing.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
But she says she started murdering people six years ago. How the flying FUCK have they managed to work Dark Souls into the narrative? What are they trying to suggest? She would have stopped sooner if it wasn't for Dark Souls?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I wonder if this ever causes religious nuts to stand outside of Best Buys, protesting games like this... that'd be fun to watch in the same way it's fun to watch people fall down stairs...

Dali

"from 22 to 100 people"

Source: my ass

Why didn't he just say "allegedly over 22 people" like anyone with any sort of credibility would? He has no idea of the upper limit.

When she was 5?
Either you're misquoting or he misspoke. Pretty sure he meant 'has lived there since she was 5'.

atomsk

Party Pooper
But she says she started murdering people six years ago. How the flying FUCK have they managed to work Dark Souls into the narrative? What are they trying to suggest? She would have stopped sooner if it wasn't for Dark Souls?

Have we considered the possibility she's a time traveler?

Teknoman

Personally I had no idea the satanic cults of America had a membership list. Thats like saying "I called the guy in charge of church, he didnt know her".

kick51

Banned
A dastardly trend that has, through gratuitous depictions of graphic violence, desensitized our youth to the responsibilities of their age and created a generation of shiftless juvenile delinquents.

Seduction_of_the_Innocent.jpg

omg this must be the funniest book of all time!

(putting aside the fact that kids' parents bought this, believed it, and prob had their kids committed)

At this point, I don't even care when I see stories like this. In the 90's when the idea of gaming as mainstream was still relatively new, there was something worth fighting for. But we've won, we now live in a world where our future old people will be playing video games. The genie isn't going to be put back into the bottle, nobody is going to come along and censor our games.

As I always say

There is a link between violent games making people violent.

There is NO link what so ever with violent people been attracted to violent games.. none, none what so ever, EVER!

Nvzman

Oh come on, Fox News, normally I'm not the type to take pot shots at channels that do basically everything that other channels do too, but seriously. What the fuck.

It has been proven video games don't do jackshit to you, stop trying to do this.

KHlover

Banned
At this point, I don't even care when I see stories like this. In the 90's when the idea of gaming as mainstream was still relatively new, there was something worth fighting for. But we've won, we now live in a world where our future old people will be playing video games. The genie isn't going to be put back into the bottle, nobody is going to come along and censor our games.
Hahaha, guter Witz :/

Teletraan1

Banned
I never understand why a bunch of external forces are blamed while people try and unravel the mystery of a Serial Killer. They are just mentally unstable people and them liking something isn't some proof that said thing is inherently bad. If a large percentage of Dark Souls user base all of the sudden starts killing people, then we have a story Fox News. What we have here is a handful of people out of the total amount of people who bought/stole this game have also killed someone. That is not news, that's reaching.

I was reading about this story earlier today (not the Fox News thing but the main story) and I have to say it's just unbelievable. A 19-year old girl goes on a multi-state rampage killing almost 2 dozen people (that we know of) off Craigslist. That's a sentence you never think you'd read but it's true.

"from 22 to 100 people"

Source: my ass

Why didn't he just say "allegedly over 22 people" like anyone with any sort of credibility would? He has no idea of the upper limit.

Either you're misquoting or he misspoke. Pretty sure he meant 'has lived there since she was 5'.

I'm pretty sure she herself said she'd killed less than 100. That's where he got that upper limit from. http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/18/craigslist-killer-miranda-barbour-serial-murder-no-evidence-fbi/

Phatmac

After losing 50 times to the Anor Londo boss during my solo run I could believe someone murdering another human over dark souls.

Accoun

I don't know, I'm still pissed that Mass Effect wasn't the alien sex simulator they promised me it would be.
Can you sue them for that or something?

Indeed! Hahaha, I'm laughing my ass off right now! GG FOXNews GG.
image.php

I'm sure many murders are influenced by Fox News, if only subconsciously.
All the bad news on the TV, including Fox News desensitized people and in the end made them become murderers.

I never understand why a bunch of external forces are blamed while people try and unravel the mystery of a Serial Killer. They are just mentally unstable people and them liking something isn't some proof that said thing is inherently bad. If a large percentage of Dark Souls user base all of the sudden starts killing people, then we have a story Fox News. What we have here is a handful of people out of the total amount of people who bought/stole this game have also killed someone. That is not news, that's reaching.

They're desperately trying to make something complex and difficult simple out of shear laziness. It's too easy for them to say that the mentally insane, instead of people who probably have insanely deep histories of psychologically damaging or molding events; they instead are just people who have been pushed over the edge or been influenced so wholly by a few inanimate objects. They would suddenly be a rational, right thinking human being if not for that one trigger that they consume that separates themselves from us normals. Forget actually asking the relevant and important questions about mental state, pharmaceuticals, mental illnesses. Just tell me they played video games I've never heard of and we've got a real story because that's what really turns people to killers. It's something I can easily identify and remove from the lives of my loved ones and not have to worry about any mental breakdowns from then on.

SRTtoZ

So what? I'm a constant masturbater and I like Hockey. Does that make all Hockey players constant masturbaters??

Dali

Nvzman

Didn't NBC do this same shit with Grand Theft Auto?
Why are we centering all of our hate on just Fox News? Yes, they are the ones who are mentioning Dark Souls but its not like they are the only ones who do this.

kmax

Well, that's to be expected of Fox News. The Onion has more substance and holds more entertainment value than those trolls. At least the former doesn't take itself seriously.

Top Bottom