• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full PS4 specs, console and controller [Blu-ray drive confirmed]

Vol5

Assuming it's all BC with current Sony peripherals. I've just got a pair of Sony Pulse cans which are amazing.

Cornbread78

Sleep mode.... I LOVE you Sony.... The single greatest thing about my VITA... No more walking around for hours to find a save point, when I should be sleeping....

THANK YOU!

Pixels

I haven't seen the info anywhere... Is 1080p the standard game resolution for all these launch titles and did they say anything about 4k?

I haven't seen the info anywhere... Is 1080p the standard game resolution for all these launch titles and did they say anything about 4k?

There was a translation in another thread that said that Sony is giving developers the freedom to pick the specs that they want. KZ, for example, is running at 1080p. But something else could run at 720p if that's what the developer chose.

This. If they promise Remote Play they have a standard to meet.

Also, about the 8GB RAM is that for games alone or is it for the OS too? I'd imagine a lot of it would have to be used for the Share stuff.

I actually think the OS with all functions will use up to 3GB. Real time video capture, instant share functionality won't be done with 1 or 2 GB of Ram.

BadWolf

There was a translation in another thread that said that Sony is giving developers the freedom to pick the specs that they want. KZ, for example, is running at 1080p. But something else could run at 720p if that's what the developer chose.

That's how it should be I think, no need to force ppl into doing what they don't want (or can't).

I like this new super dev friendly approach Sony is taking.

Sleep mode.... I LOVE you Sony.... The single greatest thing about my VITA... No more walking around for hours to find a save point, when I should be sleeping....

THANK YOU!

Indeed this is the biggest thing to finally make it to console gaming for me. Girlfriend is here and ready to go out for dinner? Time to put the kids to bed? Bro wants to watch the hockey game?

No need to make others wait for you to get to a good stopping point. It's going to change the way I play console games in my home and coupled with PS Vita remote play I won't ever lose access to my PS4.

54-46!

Yup, I like everything I see here.. the controller looks really comfortable.

Release Ground Zeroes for this system and I'm ready to throw my money at it.

methane47

DualShock 3 = 160 mm × 97 mm × 55 mm @ 192 grams
DualShock 4 = 162 mm x 98 mm x 52 mm @ 210 grams

Soo negligible difference but a little heavier

F-Pina

So any chance PS3 controllers will be compatible with PS4?

That would be great for games that don't make use of the new DS4 features.
But what about the other way around? A DS4 working on PS3 would also be cool for the games you still play there.

glaurung

The more I look at the pictures of the new controller, the more I like it.

But my first reaction when that dude picked it up on stage was like ewwww.

AngryMoth

So a question for tech minded people. With the PS3 and 360 we saw an incredible difference between launch titles and games released today in terms of graphics, but with the PS4 supposedly being so developer friendly will we see people maxing out its potential much faster than in previous generations if the learning curve is comparatively small?

Madridy

Was there any talk of the PS4 compatibilities with SSDs?

Will it be able to fully utilize an SSD's speeds? If I wish to add one down the road when they're more affordable.. (presuming that we can swap HDDs of course...)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So a question for tech minded people. With the PS3 and 360 we saw an incredible difference between launch titles and games released today in terms of graphics, but with the PS4 supposedly being so developer friendly will we see people maxing out its potential much faster than in previous generations if the learning curve is comparatively small?

There's really no such thing as "maxing out" a platform; developers will always find ways to improve the various aspects of rendering technology over time. The X360 was often touted as being essentially the same as a PC, with Valve even saying that the simplicity of the PC->X360 porting process is akin to pressing a button, but there's no denying that Gears of War 3 looks better than its two predecessors.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure if posted, but there's a list of Tools & Middleware providers thusfar here:

http://www.scei.co.jp/ps4_tm/index.html

"SCE is pleased to announce that the following middleware companies have their innovative technology solutions available right now to support PlayStation®4 developers:"
Game Engines
Bitsquid
Blitz Games
Crytek
Epic Games
Terathon LLC
Vicious Engine
www.bitsquid.se
www.blitztech.com
www.crytek.com
www.unrealengine.com
www.terathon.com
www.viciousengine.com
Physics/AI/Animation
Babelflux
Havok
NaturalMotion
Nvidia
xaitment
www.navpower.com
www.havok.com/
www.naturalmotion.com
developer.nvidia.com/
www.xaitment.com
Art/Graphics
Allegorithmic
Autodesk
Confetti Effects
Geomerics
Matchlock
OC3 Entertainment
Rad Game Tools
Silicon Studio Corporation
Simul Software
Speed Tree
Umbra Software
www.allegorithmic.com
gameware.autodesk.com
www.conffx.com
www.geomerics.com
www.matchlock.co.jp/english/
www.facefx.com
www.radgametools.com
www.siliconstudio.co.jp
www.simul.co.uk
www.speedtree.com
www.umbrasoftware.com
Audio
Audiokinetic
CRI Middleware

Firelight
www.audiokinetic.com
www.cri-mw.com
www.cri-mw.co.jp
www.fmod.com
Network
Agora Games
Jenkins Software
hydra.agoragames.com
www.raknet.com
Other
Deja Tools
Xoreax
www.dejatools.com
www.incredibuild.com

Hopefully Unity joins this list soon.

Is the ice team even needed anymore since PS4 is so easy to develop for now?

Edit- also I see nothing was mentioned about the 32 ROP's. You guys think it stayed the same or went down?

Copenap

Was there any talk of the PS4 compatibilities with SSDs?

Will it be able to fully utilize an SSD's speeds? If I wish to add one down the road when they're more affordable.. (presuming that we can swap HDDs of course...)

This is pure speculation from me but I have the feeling Sony is going the only build in hdd / no external hdd rute this time around.

Haemi

It would be interesting to know if PS4 can read BDXL. With 8GB memory we will get better Textures and this means developers need more space.

artist

Banned
It's nice we got the 18CU figure and not 14+4.

1.8TFlops vs 1.2TFlops
8GB GDDR5 vs 8GB DDR3 + ESRAM
Used games vs ???
Not always online vs ???

More pictures of PS4Eye:

8492671465_79cbde6952_z.jpg

8492671425_db84ae0598_z.jpg

8493772174_09f2b49847_z.jpg

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/8493772174/in/photostream/

If games this gen have been using less than a gig of ram and still have looked great, I can't even imagine what console games are going to look like with 8 gigs!

I actually think the OS with all functions will use up to 3GB. Real time video capture, instant share functionality won't be done with 1 or 2 GB of Ram.

I don't think so, you wouldn't need near that amount even with all the new functionalities, especially with dedicated hardware taking care of it in the background. It has already beed stated that the OS uses 512Mb of ram, and the bump to 8GB was done to make the console future proof, not to vaste more memory for the OS.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm still curious in seeing what the light will be used for in terms of the camera reading its position.

I was thinking about this. I find it doubtful they are going to track the controller for motion gaming, maybe they will just use the light bar for an accurate depth estimate so they can use it to compensate for the audio delay to the controller speaker?

There has to be logic behind its shape. It is not an ideal shape for depth, that would be a circle. So the length must be important for something, maybe just visual feedback to the user?

krizzx

Single chip custom processor
8 Jaguar cores x86 CPU
1.84 Teraflops GPU (18CU)

There is no way this is going to cost less than 600. I honestly don't see it being that little.

8 GB of GDDR5? 8 core processor? This thing is going to kill Sony.

Gorgon

You could do that easily at a time PCs had 2 gigs of ram and running a bloated OS like Windows. Why the hell would you need 3 gigs of ram for doing that on a console with a stramlined OS?

nero2082

fantastic news about bundled headset, I want to experience what it's like to play with 12yr old trash talkers, PS3 was to quiet for my liking

Loofy

There is no way this is going to cost less than 600. I honestly don't see it being that little.

8 GB of GDDR5? 8 core processor? This thing is going to kill Sony.
Why, the PS4 seems alot more simplistic than the PS3.
Im willing to bet the AMD cpu is way cheaper than the Cell BE was, which had something like the 20% yields some months before it launched iirc. No extra processors for backwards compatibly. Blu ray drive is cheap as heck now.

Components

GPU
7850/7870;8850/8870
Not too expensive especially since it will be made differently from PC ones

CPU
A tablet CPU not expensive

RAM
8 GB GDDR5 ram- One of the most expensive besides the HDD

HDD
Probably will be one of most expensive items

I am pretty sad they didn't include Bluetooth 4.0 especially with the Smartphone/Tablet integreation. Iphones now work on the BT 4.0 protocol

Top Bottom