• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE is gold, first discs manufactured

At the very least, I will download the demo and give it a fair shot.

timthumb.php

If I end up making a purchase, that big fucker is going down! He might have to wait until the $39.99 pricepoint, but he'll get what's coming to him eventually.

Oh crap! That looks pretty cool. Still ain't buying it though. Should be fun to watch the Let's Play on Youtube.

I'm kinda surprised how this thread was turned around by dev's posting in here. I certainly wouldn't mind it if FUSE succeeded in retail (even though I'm not buying it because a] no spare cash b] the gaf backlog-breaking challenge), but this whole situation smells so much like Bulletstorm that it ain't even funny (I bought that one day 1).

Bulletstorm was also released by EA, was a shooter with a twist (arguably, an FPS, but it doesn't matter that much), had some marketing (which was mostly poorly targeted, see: launch trailer) and bombed in retail too hard for its own good, even though the game was great.

Bulletstorm sold decently well (over a million) but just not enough to get a sequel. Something tells me that Insomniac would be happy to sell that much at this point.

jrDev

People surprised at the hate/lukewarm reception, let's look at the factors:

-The game no longer features the unique artstyle and personality from the initial concept video
-It has been admittedly focus grouped with 12 year olds who thought it looked like something their kid brother would play.
-It's a full priced, generic looking game late in the generation.
-This... This of all videogame ideas is what they went multiplatform for.

Now, fix the first point, and it would have a visual flair about it that demands attention. That would also nullify point #2 in the process. And since people take notice of the design, so too do they get hyped about the world and story of the game. Insomniac feeds off that positive energy and recycles it back into the game and we no longer worry about the third and fourth points because we all want it. We'd have gotten podcasts and juicy media detailing every nook of that stylish world and we'd all be waiting in line on launch day. Instead, we got numerous amounts of damage control and reassurances and even self-referential in-jokes about people disliking the product in marketing material.

I feel bad, I really do. People here got quite excited about that God Mode game because it came out of nowhere with a style that is what it is (as opposed to "not quite what it was when first shown") and has a budget price on download services. If Fuse looked like Fuse when it was Overstrike and was announced as a budget download, I'm sure no one would fret... actually, there'd be that whole "this is what they decided to make as their first multiplat game?", situation.
Are you serious? :-O

And why not? Even if we go the most pessimistic scenario, and Overstrike was not a completely more awesome product, but the exact same game as Fuse but with the different art style, it would still be the better product. The use of vibrant colors, cartoon-style inspires more fun and engages the player moreso than a gritty overtone and realistic hues. Even the same dialogue would be affected by the shift in art style: the same joke delivered by a rough-looking solider has miles less impact than by a more animated, cartoon-like character.

This is all subjective really.

abrack08

Psh you guys would quote my typo.

Kinda gives me
Scarecrow
vibes from Arkham Asylum.

The crazier the better, so that it's not solely shooting enemy soldiers/robots.

levyjl1988

Banned
8. Cool. Online pass?

- Nope. But, you should still buy it new to support us because there are no microtransactions to make up for it, though. :D

I like support devs that don't hinder customers with microtransactions and online passes.

abrack08

It's a bit disingenuous, here's the quote where that comes from:

“The game started out with a much more stylized and campy direction. We were actually going for something on the level of Ratchet & Clank, except with humans,” Allgeier said. “Maybe it was going to appeal to gamers who, we thought at the time, might be in their late teens. The industry’s changed quite a bit… We would focus test the game in front of a lot of gamers, and get their opinion. These are people that regularly play PlayStation 3 and Xbox games. We started to discover that everyone thought this was a game for their younger brother. We would hear this from 12-year-olds. So we decided that we needed to make a game that had an older appeal.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/always-independent-the-story-of-insomniac-games

So yes, the focus groups in general seemed to think it was too kiddie, and that included 12 year olds. It's not like they just gathered large amounts of 12 year olds and based everything off what they thought. It's almost a throw-away line that people have latched on to. "People said it was 'for their younger brother', even 12 year olds!" Turned into "FUSE WENT ALL GENERIC BECAUSE OF 12 YEAR OLDS LOL"

Don't worry the OT will just be a circle jerk thread.

Every Fuse thread I've been in has been extremely negative. It's going to be filled with "I've never heard of this game"s and complaining about what could-have-been, I'm sure. And 8byte replying to most of them. And lots of 8byte bashing. The usual.

This thread is just mean.

It's one thing to say you don't want the game, but it's another to attack JStevenson and the company like you guys are.

The bomba predictions could very well be correct, but it would be nice if GAF could pause for a moment in its fervor and remember that a lot of people worked to make this game.

1. The devs are big boys. I'm sure they've seen worse.

2. Yes, there are some people being overly assholey/antagonistic but I dunno it's the internet.

3. I don't remember what my third thing was gonna be.

It's a bit disingenuous, here's the quote where that comes from:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/always-independent-the-story-of-insomniac-games

So yes, the focus groups in general seemed to think it was too kiddie, and that included 12 year olds. It's not like they just gathered large amounts of 12 year olds and based everything off what they thought. It's almost a throw-away line that people have latched on to. "People said it was 'for their younger brother', even 12 year olds!" Turned into "FUSE WENT ALL GENERIC BECAUSE OF 12 YEAR OLDS LOL"

Their basic concept still has that campy feel to it, not sure how they can make that fit into a more mature mold, it's kind of trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole (with the sides of the square peg at least as wide as the diameter of the round hole), the risk they're taking is that the game might be neither here nor there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This thread is just mean.

It's one thing to say you don't want the game, but it's another to attack JStevenson and the company like you guys are.

The bomba predictions could very well be correct, but it would be nice if GAF could pause for a moment in its fervor and remember that a lot of people worked to make this game.
But games are 100% the creative vision children of studios and not influenced by anything else.

xJavonta

Banned
Holy shit, fuck you gaf.

I want this game, but I want it on my PC and not at $60. I'll snag it when it hits $40 though.

I am typing on my phone, I will ellaborate tomorrow.

Insomniac is a copycat studio, nothing original in their games

Nothing you say will ever carry any weight now thanks to this blasphemous statement.

Pikma

Banned
I'm buying it day one, just because I trust Insomniac, just hope this is not a bad decision since I rarely buy games for $60.

ezekial45

Banned
I like this game. I'm sad to see so many people are so caught up in the EA/Focus Group hate that they'll deny the fact that the game looks pretty damn fun in its own right.

It's pretty damn sad, actually.

8byte

Banned

That statement is taken out of context. The statement made was in regards to a build that happened much earlier than the OverStrike reveal. What you saw in that CG trailer was already different from what was "focus tested".

I wish people would stop making up their own fantasies for this game and actually be, you know, smart...for a change.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like this game. I'm sad to see so many people are so caught up in the EA/Focus Group hate that they'll deny the fact that the game looks pretty damn fun in its own right.

I don't really care about the art style one way or the other. I just don't think the 'craaaazy insomniac guns' are that interesting. Like, shield gun is nothing new. The idea of aggro in a shooter is nothing new.

xJavonta

Banned

It's fucking neogaf, did you honestly expect anything more? It's almost as bad as reddit sometimes.

ezekial45

Banned
It's fucking neogaf, did you honestly expect anything more? It's almost as bad as reddit sometimes.

No, I didn't. Much like the DmC ordeal, it's just another case of personal politics and contempt superseding the tangible product.

I see so often, and I'm pretty damned annoyed that it's taken with pride by some here.

8byte

Banned

If only we could down vote users posts to put them at the bottom of the thread...where they belong. Instead, we're treated to a bunch of vehement people with no interest in the game, and being inconsistent from one thread to the next.

"Oh man, BF4 looks incredible! So realistic! So fun!"

"Oh man, this game is way too realistic for my tastes, I hope Fuse bombs!"

wut.

Even if your whole motivation for being a jerk in threads is because "It isn't the Team Fortress game you imagined you wanted that you didn't even pay attention to in the first place"...you're still being a jerk, and have probably already said your peace so...why come back to every Fuse thread? For the lulz?

What adolescent and trollish behavior. GAF, in a lot of instances, is absolutely on par with Reddit.

No, I didn't. Much like the DmC ordeal, it's just another case of politics superseding the tangible product.

I see so often, and I'm pretty damned annoyed that it's taken with pride by some here.

I'm sorry but how exactly can you tell why someone doesn't like a game? Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't make it less valid.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm sorry but how exactly can you tell why someone doesn't like a game? Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't make it less valid.

It's one thing to have criticisms, but another entirely when people are trying to turn this game into a meme and write it off. It's childish and it's embarrassing.

i thought binary domain looked like a generic pos and didn't even know about it until a few days before launch and that ended up being one of my favorite third person shooters ever.

hopefully this turns out a pleasant surprise too.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'd like to express my dissatisfaction at the direction this game took following the OverStrike reveal. I'd like to be civil about it lest I be called a reddit user. Is there a form I fill out or something?

Even if your whole motivation for being a jerk in threads is because "It isn't the Team Fortress game you imagined you wanted that you didn't even pay attention to in the first place"...you're still being a jerk, and have probably already said your peace so...why come back to every Fuse thread? For the lulz?
Speaking personally, seeing news of this game simply makes me think of what it used to be, which is unpleasant. I was extremely excited by the OverStrike trailer, it was one of Those Keynote Moments when they reveal something you were genuinely pumped for and couldn't wait to play. And then a year or so later it turned into Every Other Keynote Moment with unimaginative blegh. An Ubisoft conference in a box, basically. The lulz are alright too though

Not sure how deep of an answer you're looking for. Seems kind of obvious

Because people never even saw footage of the game when it was Overstrike. So, some have made up some magical, fantasy game in their head that they apply to what they think the game used to be.

I just hope those people try the demo for themselves and discover how much fun the game is.
I think for myself and it sounds like many others it at appears that there is a large tonal shift between Overstrike and Fuse. Obviously we didn't see much of Overstrike but I found myself preferring the Overstrike look and tone. Overstrike seemed like a fun, interesting take on the genre, and Fuse seem(ed) like another overly serious, dark hued shooter, of which there have been far too many of this gen.

I haven't been to the Fuse site in a while and checked out some screens and the FAQ tonight. I really like the brighter palette shown in the screens that was mentioned in the FAQ, though the green in that FAQ screenshot is ughhh.

After checking out a few videos too I think I'll try the demo now but like the fact their isn't a PC version is a pretty big deal to me. At this point in the console cycle my game purchasing is going to be predominately for PC and the Wii U.

Theman2k

Maybe i will get it once it will drop to 10$.
I said it before and i'll say it again, they lost their touch.
But i'll try to support them when it bombs and buy a cheap copy.
If they still make it i hope they will return to make good games and not some generic shit.

Mucudadada

Insomniac Games
I think for myself and it sounds like many others it at appears that there is a large tonal shift between Overstrike and Fuse. Obviously we didn't see much of Overstrike but I found myself preferring the Overstrike look and tone. Overstrike seemed like a fun, interesting take on the genre, and Fuse seem(ed) like another overly serious, dark hued shooter, of which there have been far too many of this gen.

I haven't been to the Fuse site in a while and checked out some screens and the FAQ tonight. I really like the brighter palette shown in the screens that was mentioned in the FAQ, though the green in that FAQ screenshot is ughhh.

After checking out a few videos too I think I'll try the demo now but like the fact their isn't a PC version is a pretty big deal to me. At this point in the console cycle my game purchasing is going to be predominately for PC and the Wii U.

Thanks for re-checking up on it. And, yes, we encourage you to try to demo. I think you will enjoy it.

Footos22

Christ GAF is on one lately.
I think Fuse is going to do alright.

Insomniac have not let me down yet

Oh... well exluding Snore 4 one.

Globox_82

Banned
hold on....

sooo in 7 years of this gen:

R1 - very good
TOD - very good
Q4B - ??
R2 - ??
ACIT - outstanding
R3 very good
A41 ??
FFA ??

so half our games are very good or better (and I'd say Q4B, for a 15 dollar download, is TOD level) - and 67% of our full-price releases are very good or better

Sorry but I have highest expectation from Insomniac. at the start of this gen and first two years in you were on the level of Naughty Dog in my eyes. I am not happy where insomniac is going that is all. I am trying to think here, I think I purchased every single Insomniac game so far (since ps1 days), can't remember single one that I didn't. I don't hate u guys.
Q4B was a fine experience, I agree.

I am tired of this gen, and will probably play just a few more games on my PS3 befoe switching to PS4. I will try demo and if I like it, I might get it. art style and other nonsense don't bother me.

Skidd

Is this like, the final boss batte?
This guy appears in the second level of the game and harasses the team throughout the the level. So yeah, I wouldn't say he is the last boss. (And who in their right minds would even show their last boss before launch?)

This guy appears in the second level of the game and harasses the team throughout the the level. So yeah, I wouldn't say he is the last boss. (And who in their right minds would even show their last boss before launch?)

He looks like a final boss in any game, though. Figured they might want to show anything they can to excite people. Glad it's not the case, hope there's lots more crazy stuff in store.

WX3

It will be a miracle if more than 50,000 people buy this game. I'm being optimistic, too.
Come on.

I'm looking forward to it. I haven't followed the game too much but.Insomniac has a track record that I consider worthy of taking a risk on.

monome

i thought binary domain looked like a generic pos and didn't even know about it until a few days before launch and that ended up being one of my favorite third person shooters ever.

hopefully this turns out a pleasant surprise too.

this. a million times.

Top Bottom