• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE is gold, first discs manufactured

Rapstah

Trolling the devs and actually wishing the game to fail are two very different things and I don't think that there are a significant amount of people in here seriously doing the latter.

Trolling the devs and actually wishing the game to fail are two very different things and I don't think that there are a significant amount of people in here seriously doing the latter.

Nah.

It's just funny that they trust a focus test over people who are almost garenteed to buy a game if they catch interest.

Hope it's worth it.

I think there's a subset of Sony gamers who want this game to flop, simply because Insomniac had the audacity to make a game on the 360; not to mention those that feel Insomniac should be punished for changing the art style after that fantastic initial reveal. It's kind of pathetic, but thankfully they're in the minority. As a huge Insomniac, and a massive Ratchet and Clank fan, I hope it does well, but, honestly, I've been kind of apathetic towards the build-up to the games release. It just hasn't captured my imagination. Despite that, if the reviews are good, then I'm in, because I don't feel Insomniac get enough credit for what they do. The Ratchet games sometimes get an unfair kicking for sticking to a formula which, outside of those games, doesn't exist anywhere else. Nobody but Insomniac is making those style of games, and it's a pity, because the spirit of those games harks back to the 8-bit era, and that's something that's slowly been lost in modern gaming.

I hope it does well, but it's clearly got a problem in that the marketing has no idea where to pitch this game. The cover would seem to be doing the game a disservice, but, it's going to be difficult to sell this game when gamer apathy has been rife this past year; it would seem people aren't that interested in major releases for the PS3 and 360 anymore. Something which has been borne out in terms of sales for the likes of the new Gears of War, God of War and Bioshock games. It's a really tricky time to be releasing games for those two consoles.

glaurung

I think there's a subset of Sony gamers who want this game to flop, simply because Insomniac had the audacity to make a game on the 360; not to mention those that feel Insomniac should be punished for changing the art style after that fantastic initial reveal. It's kind of pathetic, but thankfully they're in the minority. As a huge Insomniac, and a massive Ratchet and Clank fan, I hope it does well, but, honestly, I've been kind of apathetic towards the build-up to the games release. It just hasn't captured my imagination. Despite that, if the reviews are good, then I'm in, because I don't feel Insomniac get enough credit for what they do. The Ratchet games sometimes get an unfair kicking for sticking to a formula which, outside of those games, doesn't exist anywhere else. Nobody but Insomniac is making those style of games, and it's a pity, because the spirit of those games harks back to the 8-bit era, and that's something that's slowly been lost in modern gaming.

I hope it does well, but it's clearly got a problem in that the marketing has no idea where to pitch this game. The cover would seem to be doing the game a disservice, but, it's going to be difficult to sell this game when gamer apathy has been rife this past year; it would seem people aren't that interested in major releases for the PS3 and 360 anymore. Something which has been borne out in terms of sales for the likes of the new Gears of War, God of War and Bioshock games. It's a really tricky time to be releasing games for those two consoles.
I don't want this game to outright flop, but I am afraid it will.

All the game play videos and streaming events they have held have all shown that the game itself is utterly devoid of fun, just a poorly animated cover-based shooter with a curious dash of RPG elements.

Discarding the original art style was the worst mistake they ever did.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Because people never even saw footage of the game when it was Overstrike. So, some have made up some magical, fantasy game in their head that they apply to what they think the game used to be.

I just hope those people try the demo for themselves and discover how much fun the game is.
Not sure I would blame people for wishing the game was more interesting than it seems to be right now.
I hope the game is fun and does well, of course, but I have to admit I have almost no interest in even trying it (which is likely more a marketing/communication issue than anything).

web01

Pretty obvious this game is going to bomb badly, cant imagine even the devs have high expectations.

Positive hype is non existent, negative hype / hate from gaming community, generic third person shooter that doesn't stand out from the crowd, game sales in general are down as people look towards next gen.

Will probably end up on PS+ pretty soon after release as a way of just trying to minimise $ losses.

I will probably get it since its third person, cool weapons and Insomniac.
Never played a R&C game, bought R&C HD but havent installed it yet. Series always looked lame to me, I prefered Jak and Ape Escape....

Then I played Resistance 3.....I just dont know what Sony saw in these guys. I am glad they finally expanded Naughty Dog and signed up with RAD. Lets face it, Uncharted >>>>>>>>> anything Insomniac has done since spyro

Resistance 3 was such a bad game...each level felt like it was stolen from another game. And the multiplayer was a joke.

Ratchet and clunk always looked bad....just auto platforming and shooting brain dead ai for 8 hours
Please stop posting forever. You have no clue what youre talking about.

Hopefully Insomniac will deliver as they are one of my fav studios out there but the same time I think that the backlash is just too harsh to get over from.

glaurung

Did Insomniac ever explained why the boxart looked like that? Ken Levine did for Bioshock Infinite.
Here's a plausible explanation: "I had my dog do the cropping in PhotoShop. At first I thought Fido removed too much from the top end of the picture, but then my friends at EA said it was OK. They said it was genius."

Looks atrocious.

ChuckNyce

I watched a livestream of the devs playing this awhile back, and I actually wanna play this. It looks like Insomniac's flair for fun action and awesome weaponry in a generic shooter wrapper. This is only based off of seeing about 15 minutes of footage, but I think this could be a good time, especially the coop.

Brannon

Did Insomniac ever explained why the boxart looked like that? Ken Levine did for Bioshock Infinite.

Look at the box art. At a glance can you tell which bodies are male and which are female? A casual guy would see four bodies and assume that they are four men doing the CoD-walk and buy the game more likely, not that two of the bodies are female and thus risk sales.

My theory; they didn't hide the faces, they hid the girls. I'm an expert.

Manp

ww9qQ83.png

well done
KuGsj.gif

-PXG-

I don't think anyone wants the game to fail. People are talking shit because the game doesn't look good and will probably have poor sales as a result. Plus, folks are rightfully upset at a talented team like Insomniac make such a boring, uninspired game.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I liked insomniac's past output, and I wish them all the best. But seriously, this game just doesn't excite me on any level. The gameplay, aethetics, concept. Whatever. Hopefully, the final game will overturn our expectations.

TimmiT

If only we could down vote users posts to put them at the bottom of the thread...where they belong. Instead, we're treated to a bunch of vehement people with no interest in the game, and being inconsistent from one thread to the next.

"Oh man, BF4 looks incredible! So realistic! So fun!"

"Oh man, this game is way too realistic for my tastes, I hope Fuse bombs!"

wut.

Even if your whole motivation for being a jerk in threads is because "It isn't the Team Fortress game you imagined you wanted that you didn't even pay attention to in the first place"...you're still being a jerk, and have probably already said your peace so...why come back to every Fuse thread? For the lulz?

What adolescent and trollish behavior. GAF, in a lot of instances, is absolutely on par with Reddit.

I'm sure everyone complaining about Fuse's art style are all the same people that think Battlefield 4 looks great. Also, while I'm not interested in BF4, it at least looks like what people expect it to look like: a Battlefield game. With Fuse, people expected it to look more like Overstrike: stylized and not something that tries too hard to be "mature". You can't really blame people for being surprised and disappointed by the sudden change to something that looks like just about every other shooter. Saying Insomniac has always been shit because of this game is uncalled for though.

gogogow

Look at the box art. At a glance can you tell which bodies are male and which are female? A casual guy would see four bodies and assume that they are four men doing the CoD-walk and buy the game more likely, not that two of the bodies are female and thus risk sales.

My theory; they didn't hide the faces, they hid the girls. I'm an expert.

Why not create four males then?

Revven

I think there's a subset of Sony gamers who want this game to flop, simply because Insomniac had the audacity to make a game on the 360; not to mention those that feel Insomniac should be punished for changing the art style after that fantastic initial reveal.

I... really don't think this is the case. This is a pretty hyperbolic and bold assumption you're making.

Everyone was interested in Overstrike when it was revealed. When they re-revealed it as Fuse, everyone hated the direction Insomniac took. I don't recall anyone being excited about what they saw when it was re-revealed. And those sentiments have carried since the re-reveal. It has nothing to do with Insomniac going multiplatform.

GavinGT

Banned
I... really don't think this is the case. This is a pretty hyperbolic and bold assumption you're making.

Everyone was interested in Overstrike when it was revealed. When they re-revealed it as Fuse, everyone hated the direction Insomniac took. I don't recall anyone being excited about what they saw when it was re-revealed. And those sentiments have carried since the re-reveal. It has nothing to do with Insomniac going multiplatform.

This is a pretty hyperbolic and bold assumption you're making.

It's hardly a hyperbolic statement given how extreme reactions can be, the insanity of the 360 reveal of Final Fantasy XIII is a testament to how precious people can get about their console of choice. There will be a subset of gamers who will see Insomniac going multi-platform as a betrayal. At the same time, it's not a significant amount, but they like to be vocal and certainly, judging from the various topics on Fuse across the internet, there is an unnaturally hostile tone to the conversations regarding the game. I really don't see how that can be a bold assumption.

Now it would be hyperbolic to say everyone loved the Overstrike trailer and then everyone hated the re-reveal; you should also take into account that Overstrike only ever existed as a CGI trailer. No gameplay footage was ever shown of Overstrike, so the comparison between the two is already unfairly stacked against Fuse. We never saw the real Overstrike. However, the two elements, one being Insomniac going to the 360 and the other being the redesign, seem to have combined to shape the tone of conversation during threads on Fuse, which has been increasingly hostile. It would be naive to dismiss one or the other.

monome

boxart is fucked? well we're talking an EA sponsored game...
game is fucked? previews have me thinking the game is tight.
game rips Gears? like devs want to close shop and sell artsy games on iphone...

Fistwell

What's the pitch for this? Co-op shootbang #1045? Better with wacky weapons/gadgets? Previously wacky graphix, now grittier after intense focus testing?

the insanity of the 360 reveal of Final Fantasy XIII
Yeah this ain't exactly on the same level.... LOL

Reading the first few pages of this thread was painful. Thankfully it's gotten a bit better since but good lord some of you are harsh on a game that hasn't even released. I hope the game does well for Insomniac.
Oh I certainly hope it does well, if nothing else for the sake of those who made it.

Aint happening, but it would be nice.

Jhriad

Reading the first few pages of this thread was painful. Thankfully it's gotten a bit better since but good lord some of you are harsh on a game that hasn't even released. I hope the game does well for Insomniac.

GavinGT

Banned
Insomniac should offer a sticker you could attach to the top of the box in order to create a properly framed image.

ptuck874

boxart is fucked? well we're talking an EA sponsored game...
game is fucked? previews have me thinking the game is tight.
game rips Gears? like devs want to close shop and sell artsy games on iphone...

almost like Starhawk all over again?

Where is the advertising for this game? I know it's art style change really disappointed a lot if us, me included, but this is still an Insomniac title. Why is EA sending this thing out to die?

What's the pitch for this? Co-op shootbang #1045? Better with wacky weapons/gadgets? Previously wacky graphix, now grittier after intense focus testing?

Yeah this ain't exactly on the same level.... LOL

Well, that wasn't my point, more that these fans do exist, and even when they're on their medication, they still find the allure of the message board intoxicating. To say they haven't been a factor on Fuse threads seems silly.

Why is there an explosion that's seemingly originating in that lady's crotch?

Why do you think it's called Fuse. The very last level is a furious QTE where you have to prevent denotation of her vagina. Focus groups love QTE's and exploding vaginas.

I'm still on the fence, but I do consider Deadlocked to be criminally underrated, and if Fuse can deliver a more sophisticated version of Deadlocked, then I'm onboard. I think what we really need now is for Ted Price to post a "Fuse : Are You For or Against" thread on neogaf. Those threads always work out well.

Brannon

Why not create four males then?

This is where my theory comes into full effect! Back when it had the light look to it, the women, being all spy-sexy, added to the overall tone of Overstrike, so having them be displayed equally with the dudes was no problem.

But then suddenly FOCUS GROUPS.

And with that comes the marketing gurus that say that prominently-on-the-boxart girls cost sales, and your game has two, and it'll cost more money and time to replace the women than EA Partners cares to offer, so you think outside the box... art, and 'fix' it.

Bonus; instead of the F-M-F-M setup of Overstrike, do f-f-M-m and further distract the casual glance by dropping the title and fade out the two characters on the left with the brightest orange thing ever.

Make no mistake, everything about a box art, even the guy hidden behind the NTSC logo, is deliberate.

Doesn't help that this is a EA partners game, EA has never really promoted any of their EA partners games and with the closing of that branch, I doubt we'll see much advertising at all

This is where my theory comes into full effect! Back when it had the light look to it, the women, being all spy-sexy, added to the overall tone of Overstrike, so having them be displayed equally with the dudes was no problem.

And with that comes the marketing gurus that say that prominently-on-the-boxart girls cost sales, and your game has two, and it'll cost more money and time to replace the women than EA Partners cares to offer, so you think outside the box... art, and 'fix' it.

Bonus; instead of the F-M-F-M setup of Overstrike, do f-f-M-m and further distract the casual glance by dropping the title and fade out the two characters on the left with the brightest orange thing ever.

Make no mistake, everything about a box art, even the guy hidden behind the NTSC logo, is deliberate.

I think this pretty spot on.

That statement is taken out of context. The statement made was in regards to a build that happened much earlier than the OverStrike reveal. What you saw in that CG trailer was already different from what was "focus tested".

I wish people would stop making up their own fantasies for this game and actually be, you know, smart...for a change.
I was breaking down why people are upset with the game's direction and not necessarily what makes the game shit. I didn't mean to imply that 12 year olds were the only source of the focus groups. Just that when that was announced, people took it out of context and got upset. So that factor of why people are against this game is still a fact.

But anyway, I think back to pre-pubescent me and think of what I passed on because it wasn't cool sounding enough (Princess Bride).... I'll never trust 12 year olds haha.

P.S. The Princess Bride became one of my all time favorite movies.

Damn you're cynical! And probably right...

8byte

Banned
I'd like to express my dissatisfaction at the direction this game took following the OverStrike reveal. I'd like to be civil about it lest I be called a reddit user. Is there a form I fill out or something?

Speaking personally, seeing news of this game simply makes me think of what it used to be, which is unpleasant. I was extremely excited by the OverStrike trailer, it was one of Those Keynote Moments when they reveal something you were genuinely pumped for and couldn't wait to play. And then a year or so later it turned into Every Other Keynote Moment with unimaginative blegh. An Ubisoft conference in a box, basically. The lulz are alright too though

Not sure how deep of an answer you're looking for. Seems kind of obvious

What, exactly, does the regurgitation of this information in every Fuse thread accomplish? I mean, outside of the obvious embarrassing stereotype it reinforces.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

the box art wasn't focus grouped at all (if I remember right). The focus was on the Fuse weapons. At one point, Naya was in the front of my favorite execution. We ended up going a different way, and Dalton leads slightly (as he is the "leader" in the game)

and everyone who loves bringing up the 12 year old thing is talking about what the game was BEFORE the Overstrike reveal, just in case that point had been forgotten. Overstrike was the result of the focus groups. Fuse was the result of Overstrike not being fun.

Top Bottom