• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FXAA creator comments on Orbis, Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.

meta4

oh boy, looks like specialguy (aka Rangers on B3D) is having some serious meltdowns.

I+like+ponies+Read+Description+.+Taking+cover+for+the+incoming_28f0c2_3416544.gif

Oh man. I am going through it right now.

The pendulum swings both ways. When the PS4 was rumored to have 2GB I remember seeing many posts about Sony is doomed.

All of these threads will be hilarious upon final reveal of the real specs.

True. I half want to be in the universe where PS4 was 2GB, their internal devs were fine with it so they must have thought speed increases far surpassed any memory size increases to the degree that another 2GB was becoming...negligable?

Would have been interesting to see VS Durango anyway. Sony maybe just didn't expect MS to go the route they did, as it only really becomes a rational move when you consider the OS set up.

But yeah the Wii U threads are hilarious in hindsight. RAM size means nothing to me now :D

Sid

True. I half want to be in the universe where PS4 was 2GB, their internal devs were fine with it so they must have thought speed increases far surpassed any memory size increases to the degree that another 2GB was becoming...negligable?

Would have been interesting to see VS Durango anyway. Sony maybe just didn't expect MS to go the route they did, as it only really becomes a rational move when you consider the OS set up.

But yeah the Wii U threads are hilarious in hindsight. RAM size means nothing to me now :D
Doesn't the WiiU use only 1GB for games at half the bandwidth of the 360's RAM? I don't think that was even remotely comparable to what we are hearing about PS4 or 720 in the first place.

Doesn't the WiiU use only 1GB for games at half the bandwidth of the 360's RAM? I don't think that was even remotely comparable to what we are hearing about PS4 or 720 in the first place.

We heard 2GB with 1GB OS but nothing about bandwidth was really discussed iirc.

I was actually thinking that Killzone 3 had topped Naughty Dog's efforts, as had Sony Santa Monica with God of War 3 (but this was post-Uncharted 2, not Uncharted 3). When it comes to multiplatform, then we start thinking about guys like 4A, DICE, and so on. I was also under the impression some of the shit Remedy used in Alan Wake (lighting, draw distance, giant maps, etc) just flat-out wasn't possible on the PS3.

But yeah, Crytek's work on Crysis 3 looks to blow people away.

I dunno. My knowledge in the field is somewhat limited, and to hear people suggest that a game that basically just runs down really narrow corridors with impossibly short draw distances is genuinely surprising to me. I've heard a lot of incorrect shit spouted over the years (like how the water in Uncharted 3's ship level is supposedly dynamic, when in truth it's pre-baked) about how amazing they are, and I've looked into things that they, as well as people like Digital Foundry, have said.

I'm far from convinced that Naughty Dog has cranked out the best graphics out there.

Their art design is amazing, though. There are times when I wonder if anyone is actually on par with them.

YMMV but I have played Uncha 1 and Uncha 2 only AFTER playing God of War 3 and Killzone 3 and I think Uncharted 2 pounds the above 2 games to dirt. Before Uncharted 2 I praised GoW3 as the best looking console game to date, which is easily surpassed by Uncha 2 and its Ice Temple, The Monastery, Dagger Temple etc. Still didn't touch Uncha 3 so my view may change.

sp3000

In technical terms, DICE and Crytek are leagues ahead of ND. Whether people think the games look subjectively better is irrelevant.

I'm sure they could do a lot more given new hardware, rather than being limited to the PS3.

meta4

In technical terms, DICE and Crytek are leagues ahead of ND. Whether people think the games look subjectively better is irrelevant.

I'm sure they could do a lot more given new hardware, rather than being limited to the PS3.

Much of this is hypothetical anyways. I personally think if ND were to make a PC game they would destroy Crytek but then again we would never know. All I can go by is look at Crysis 2/3 and UC2/3 ,TLOU on consoles for now to come to a decision.

rdrr gnr

Where is your source for the boat level? I know they said the ship was an actual object in the environment (or something like that) -- was that not the case?

I'm pretty sure MS builds 720 after what developers want - just like they did with 360. And then add what they want to dominate the living room on top (Kinect, Win 8), not the other way around. They won't risk everything they build with 360 and create another Xbox 1 fiasco.

Obviously not. Here's a dev saying that the rumored RAM set up is not ideal for devs. Like I said before he develops new AA techniques. So he may be more biased towards a high bandwidth set up then other devs may be, since great AA requires high bandwidth. He said his new project would not run on Durango's rumored set up at 1080p, but it would run on Orbis. Make sense he would favor the system which his project(which hes been dedicating a portion of his life to) actually works on. Regardless he does have additional insight into what other devs would require and want as well.

How so? Uncharted 3 did many many things on a technical level that most games dont, and most importantly did it WHILE running at a constant 30fps with good IQ.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Obviously not. Here's a dev saying that the rumored RAM set up is not ideal for devs. Like I said before he develops new AA techniques. So he may be more biased towards a high bandwidth set up then other devs may be, since great AA requires high bandwidth. He said his new project would not run on Durango's rumored set up at 1080p, but it would run on Orbis. Make sense he would favor the system which his project(which hes been dedicating a portion of his life to) actually works on. Regardless he does have additional insight into what other devs would require and want as well.

He isn't a game developer.

Jtrizzy

Crysis 2 looked and ran like dog shit on PS3, and frankly the PC version needed Maldo's mod to fix all kinds of shit. How is that more impressive than uncharted?

He isn't a game developer.

Hes a programmer. The stuff he writes code for goes into games...

Neither does he have full specs, he's going by the leaked specs as all of us, rendering this whole thread sensationalistic pap.

ummm no. Hes giving his opinion off the rumored specs, saying that if the specs are correct he prefers the RAM situation of one consoles over the other, with a good reason. Then he goes on to speculate why MS would possibly choose the 8gb RAM situatiion and why it would have such high overhead. Which is the same reason all of us have been speculating for months(dvr, Windows 8, non gaming releated, trying to take over the living room,ect.)

Crysis 2 looked and ran like dog shit on PS3, and frankly the PC version needed Maldo's mod to fix all kinds of shit. How is that more impressive than uncharted?

I remember reading the DF article on Crysis 2, and they said they both 360 and PS3 had advantages and disadvantages(AF on PS3 and some textures, framerate on 360). I own the PS3 version, and its not like the framerate was unplayable. 25-30fps.

I still dont think it holds a candle to what ND has done technically with UC3 though.

Dawg

On PC they are, on consoles they are not.

I believe BF3 development was changed to consoles mid way? Well, I didn't really notice that. People wonder why everyone buys CoD, well there isn't a good alternative on consoles..

Seriously, Battlefield 3 was 30fps on consoles and it looked really shitty. Now, I know they probably can't pull off 60fps with those graphics, but it's no wonder people prefer the smooth 60fps Call Of Duty over that mess.

I remember CryTek saying Crysis 2 would be the best console game out there (correct me if I'm wrong), but it certainly does not look better than Killzone 3, Uncharted 2 or God Of War 3. These games are exclusives though, but still..

meta4

It looked mediocre on the 360 too. I thought it looked gorgeous on PC judging by a few videos I saw of it. Is that not the case?

pelican

a guy who doesnt know much.

Yeah right, whereas you a forum member are an expert on this technical subject. Therefore allowing you to discredit his input, and knowledge on the matter.

Remind us of your qualifications, and industry achievements please. He coded FXAA, and you?

In the end this is a simple analysis through his own eyes based upon rumoured specs. Nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.

Jtrizzy

It looked mediocre on the 360 too. I thought it looked gorgeous on PC judging by a few videos I saw of it. Is that not the case?

well all of the dx11 bells and whistles were way late, and poorly optimized, especially the tesselation. It does look great but Maldo's mod fixes a lot of the performance issues and replaces some of the textures as well iirc. It's a must if you are playing it on PC.

madmackem

Naughty Dog's games look ahead of other peoples' games graphically? What?

Artistically, sure, but from a graphical perspective, plenty of people don't just outdo them, but pound them into the dirt.

On consoles? da fuck. The more i read about these next consoles the more i think sony is doing a games machine and ms is chasing everything else box.

madmackem

Yeah right, whereas you a forum member are an expert on this technical subject. Therefore allowing you to discredit his input, and knowledge on the matter.

Remind us of your qualifications, and industry achievements please. He coded FXAA, and you?

In the end this is a simple analysis through his own eyes based upon rumoured specs. Nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.

Agree he is looking at the specs we all have seen by now but coming from an angle that he has more knowledge and skill than the average forum poster and giving his thoughts on it. He might be spot on he might be wide of the mark but to just write him off is plain childish.

eso76

At least two very big leaps of logic with no support seem to be made:

-Next box might have pre-GCN GPU

-MS wont allow coding to the metal of any sort

Yes, that was quinte a strange assumption on his side.

"If ps4 had a thisandthatGPU and allowed coding to the metal, then it would be a beast,
on the contrary, if Durango had a pre gcn GPU and didn't allow coding to the metal, then it would be an underwhelming piece of shit."

If anything it looks like the ps4 is the one going for a more traditional pc like approach.

Yeah and rumoured, hes giving his take on the rumoured specs to date, wheres the problem.

Is this a serious question? There's no point to it whatsoever when you don't know how either machine is going to operate and what the functions of all the parts working in concert are going be.

Agree he is looking at the specs we all have seen by now but coming from an angle that he has more knowledge and skill than the average forum poster and giving his thoughts on it. He might be spot on he might be wide of the mark but to just write him off is plain childish.

THANK YOU! Someone with some sense!

Is this a serious question? There's no point to it whatsoever when you don't know how either machine is going to operate and what the functions of all the parts working in concert are going be.

He not representing it as fact! He said very clearly its based on the rumored specs

So are people not allowed to speculate anymore? If not maybe we should just shut down the internet until we actually know the specs.

He clearly states at the outset of the article that this is based on the Eurogamer article. The guy develops AA solutions for Nvidia. The only bias here is that his new AA solution won't work on the rumored specs, but that doesn't invalidate everything he is saying.

I also don't get the whole "he isn't a game dev" comments whatsoever.

yes Thank you again!

edit: lol I thought you and madmackem were the same poster cause of your Mario avatars.

Jtrizzy

So are people not allowed to speculate anymore? If not maybe we should just shut down the internet until we actually know the specs.

He clearly states at the outset of the article that this is based on the Eurogamer article. The guy develops AA solutions for Nvidia. The only bias here is that his new AA solution won't work on the rumored specs, but that doesn't invalidate everything he is saying.

I also don't get the whole "he isn't a game dev" comments whatsoever. FXAA is widely used these days.

pelican

He might be spot on he might be wide of the mark but to just write him off is plain childish.

The only members who would consider writing him off have too much emotional investment in one of the platform manufacturers. Multi-format gamers, or gamers waiting to see which platform shapes out in their favour before committing have nothing to be upset over.

I wish people would just chill, and enjoy all the speculation in the run up to the unveils. In 12 months normal service will resume and we will miss this excitement.

Binabik15

Guys, last time I checked this was the General Gaming Discussion sub-forum, not the General Gaming News sub-forum.

A guy comments on next-gen consoles rumours. He states that this is what he does. Is it thread worthy? Yes, because he has made a wide-known contribution to AA methods recently, so he is no random youtube commen guy and he posts under his real name, instead of hiding behind "I'm a dev, trust me".

Now, people can discuss his opinions and speculations.

GAF gets hits, maybe somebody learns something, nobody gets hurt. Except for some widdle feewings, it seems. Geez.

He not representing it as fact! He said very clearly its based on the rumored specs

That's great, but it's not telling us anything about how the machines will perform. Imagine if you had all the final PS3 specs (which is more than we have at this point when it comes to Orbis and Durango) except for the SPEs. No matter how big of an expert you might be, you would have to conclude that PS3 was an awfully underpowered and unbalanced machine.

Little bit of a stretch to call this guy the 'creator' of FXAA, which seems like its taken a catch all definition for any post process AA technique. MLAA was already being implemented in a few games long before it was ported over and branded by nvidia. Saboteur ran it on one of the PS3s SPUs back around '09. Smart guy I'm sure, but I wouldn't go around throwing Carmack or Sweeney weight behind his words.

Chev

i'm sure he's super smart at programming but seems to have no clue about bigger pictures.

if you read his article he's basically saying stupid things like next box is going to just be a dumb dx11 box, no coding to the metal, only going to be used for up-resed 360 ports, etc etc. complete fabrications and wishful thinking

seems very sony biased.

Having attended MS dev conferences last year, I'd rather say he's spot-on. The foremost bullet point they've been hammering this past year is how the exact same game code is garanteed to work without any alteration on all win8-based platforms, be they phones, computers or some future new MS platform hint hint know what I mean (yes, they were about that subtle), essentially bringing free ports to the table. That approach directly precludes a coding to metal API.

Little bit of a stretch to call this guy the 'creator' of FXAA, which seems like its taken a catch all definition for any post process AA technique. MLAA was already being implemented in a few games long before it was ported over and branded by nvidia. Saboteur ran it on one of the PS3s SPUs back around '09. Smart guy I'm sure, but I wouldn't go around throwing Carmack or Sweeney weight behind his words.

huh? No it hasn't. MLAA and FXAA two different post process techniques.

Withnail

Having attended MS dev conferences last year, I'd rather say he's spot-on. The foremost bullet point they've been hammering this past year is how the exact same game code is garanteed to work without any alteration on all win8-based platforms, be they phones, computers or some future new MS platform hint hint know what I mean (yes, they were about that subtle), essentially bringing free ports to the table. That approach directly precludes a coding to metal API.

Basically the iOS approach. As I've been saying recently I think MS is more concerned about iOS than PlayStation these days. The rumoured Apple TV with iOS compatibility is the bigger threat.

rdrr gnr

I want to say this is a mistake that is commonly made. You can read a response written by one of the designers explaining how they did it. I think it was DF's mistake. (Unless I'm wrong).

Jtrizzy

I remember reading the DF article on Crysis 2, and they said they both 360 and PS3 had advantages and disadvantages(AF on PS3 and some textures, framerate on 360). I own the PS3 version, and its not like the framerate was unplayable. 25-30fps.

The thing that killed it was the AA though, it had the proverbial Vaseline smear in the worst way. IIRC it was sub 720p as well, which exacerbated the problem.

The thing that killed it was the AA though, it had the proverbial Vaseline smear in the worst way. IIRC it was sub 720p as well, which exacerbated the problem.

yea the AA was pretty bad, but I'm pretty it was the same on 360 too. I remember the AA was on PC too, but someone found a way to mod it and take it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom