• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May Cover Reveal: Final Fantasy XV

Multiple continents? So the world map we know about is for only one continent? Holy shit if true.

This is what perked my ears too! Though if it really is that big there're going to be a lot of "ugh, why do I have to drive so long?" complaints.

Hope Tabata and co don't back off the driving stuff, as that's what I think could really make the game feel like an authentic road trip.

MilkBeard

This is what perked my ears too! Though if it really is that big there're going to be a lot of "ugh, why do I have to drive so long?" complaints.

Hope Tabata and co don't back off the driving stuff, as that's what I think could really make the game feel like an authentic road trip.

That and the flying air-car-ship will make the big maps more palatable. Of course, areas where only chocobos can travel as well.

I assume at some point there will be some form of fast travel allowed. Maybe once you discover a city you can do a sort of 'drive car time skip' where you will automatically teleport there but it will be like you drove. But of course in the early game it will be important to experience the whole thing.

Actually, I'm not sure how they are going to handle the late game travel to make it less tedious. Maybe a legit airship?

Philippo

Nah, the environmental trailer showed snippets of many if not all continents.

The game always had multiple continents even back in the Versus days -Lucis, Accordo, Nifelheim, Solheim, Tenebrae.

I would say the one we know the least about is Solheim. It hasn't been mentioned in story stuff for a while. Hope it's not been removed!

Aren't those regions or nations rather than continents?

Andromeda

Banned
Nah, the environmental trailer showed snippets of many if not all continents.

The game always had multiple continents even back in the Versus days -Lucis, Accordo, Nifelheim, Solheim, Tenebrae.

I would say the one we know the least about is Solheim. It hasn't been mentioned in story stuff for a while. Hope it's not been removed!

Lucis, Accordo, Niflheim, Solheim and Tenebrae are different kingdoms, not continents.

That and the flying air-car-ship will make the big maps more palatable. Of course, areas where only chocobos can travel as well.

I assume at some point there will be some form of fast travel allowed. Maybe once you discover a city you can do a sort of 'drive car time skip' where you will automatically teleport there but it will be like you drove. But of course in the early game it will be important to experience the whole thing.

Actually, I'm not sure how they are going to handle the late game travel to make it less tedious. Maybe a legit airship?

Yeah, sure there will be at least some version of fast travel unlocked at some point (they've already said you can unlock ability to skip parts of car travel). I'm going to do as little fast travel as possible for as long as I can maintain it though. The idea of having the actual travel be a meaningful part of the story is appealing after all the teleport-driven WRPG quests I'm used to in open-world games.

Aren't those regions or nations rather than continents?

Definitely -- but it's easy to imagine the GI crew referring to the different countries as different continents. They DID say they believed there was an entire other map no one had seen yet though.

chozen

I don't know about the moon being explorable. I mean, Tabata is a pretty huge IV fan after all, but lol

Castle on the moon, the moon is also very visible on the front cover for JP, and how else are we going to deal with the plague of stars if not from the moon.

But I probably sound nuts oh well.

CesBSVPWsAAgtl8.jpg:large

2718_cover.png

Yeah, sure there will be at least some version of fast travel unlocked at some point (they've already said you can unlock ability to skip parts of car travel). I'm going to do as little fast travel as possible for as long as I can maintain it though. The idea of having the actual travel be a meaningful part of the story is appealing after all the teleport-driven WRPG quests I'm used to in open-world games.
Same, I love hearing character banter in most games. Definitely gonna chill with my boys

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm still tense over the thought of no explorable Insomnia at any stage of the game.

I think if Insomnia wasn't explorable with a bit of player freedom, then ultimately the 10 year wait will disappoint me massively.

chozen

I'm still tense over the thought of no explorable Insomnia at any stage of the game.

I think if Insomnia wasn't explorable with a bit of player freedom, then ultimately the 10 year wait will disappoint me massively.

Could you imagine the reclaim your throne thing is only the first 25 hours in and when you do get it back dealing with the plague of stars is the next half of the game.

Would make sense, then we could explore insomnia.

Go_Ly_Dow

Could you imagine the reclaim your throne thing is only the first 25 hours in and when you do get it back dealing with the plague of stars is the next half of the game.

I really, really hope something like that is the case.

At the moment the outcomes I envision are....

Chapter 0 - you get to have a controlled experience in Insomnia before you depart for Altissia.

Final chapter - Insomnia is one of the final areas, meaning it would likely be for battle purposes/set pieces only.

.....or neither.

This is what I want too. Would also fit along the lines of many other major FF games. I know people are saying the story/quest is going to be simple, but given the whole prophecy and the Plague of the Stars, I doubt it will simply be about JUST liberating Lucis. Hell, it would be interesting if liberating Insomnia was the middle of the game, and they'd focus on a bit of Noctis in power, and what he does as the new king of the nation of Lucis. Something tells me it won't be as simple as "reclaiming your throne". Then again, FFVII wasn't as simple as "stopping Shinra from sucking the life from the Planet"(there WAS more to FFVII than just that).

Aters

Another continent is impossible.
Going to the moon though......

This is what I want too. Would also fit along the lines of many other major FF games. I know people are saying the story/quest is going to be simple, but given the whole prophecy and the Plague of the Stars, I doubt it will simply be about JUST liberating Lucis. Hell, it would be interesting if liberating Insomnia was the middle of the game, and they'd focus on a bit of Noctis in power, and what he does as the new king of the nation of Lucis. Something tells me it won't be as simple as "reclaiming your throne". Then again, FFVII wasn't as simple as "stopping Shinra from sucking the life from the Planet"(there WAS more to FFVII than just that).

They can make a sidequest like rebuilding Lindblum in FFIX.

This would be my dream scenario - all this emphasis on continuity of the royal line and burden of power, we should actually experience it as Noctis.

There always is more to an FF story. It starts off fairly simple and gets way more complex, sometimes arguably too complex for it's own good.

chozen

They wouldn't have gotten the scenario writer from Dissidia if they wanted a simple story.

Cept shes just putting the pieces in order that Nojima left off. You'd think they they realize by now story of the last Final Fantasy console game wasn't all that great.
That they would all have heavy supervision of making sure this goes right. Especially after 10 years of waiting.

Andromeda

Banned
They wouldn't have gotten the scenario writer from Dissidia if they wanted a simple story.

She's not writing the story though, her job is applying the story into the game. Tabata even specifically said they are still following Nojima's Versus story as much as possible with the only change to the story since Versus being what he mentioned in the ATR back in June 2015. He specified only two actual changes were made which was Stella's role changed into Luna's role, and that only being why they modified the intro, everything else we know about the core story, themes and world is still there.

Go_Ly_Dow

She's not writing the story though, her job is applying the story into the game. Tabata even specifically said they are still following Nojima's Versus story as much as possible with the only change to the story since Versus being what he mentioned in the ATR back in June 2015. He specified only two actual changes were made which was Stella's role changed into Luna's role, and that only being why they modified the intro, everything else we know about the core story, themes and world is still there.

I dunno, there seems to be some missing characters. Mainly those seen in the E3 2013 CG.

Hooded guy where you at, Bro?

Twookie

that's one hell of a post

nice find!

e: I'm so glad there's people out there making stuff like this so I don't have to lel

e2: this post made me really hype once again, gimme e3 naow :(

Koozek

that's one hell of a post

nice find!

e: I'm so glad there's people out there making stuff like this so I don't have to lel

e2: this post made me really hype once again, gimme e3 naow :(

To my FFXVGAF brehs, please don't watch the E3 coverage. It will be so worth it to just wait a mere 5 months and experience all the yet unknown summons and set pieces for yourselves. They will show Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut
, eeeverything.

Twookie

i know i shouldn't watch the e3 coverage of ffxv but i'm not sure i can stop myself from doing it, my willpower is absolutely shit regarding ffxv
facepalm.gif

To my FFXVGAF brehs, please don't watch the E3 coverage. It will be so worth it to just wait a mere 5 months and experience all the yet unknown summons and set pieces for yourselves. They will show Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut
, eeeverything.

I have been holding somewhat strong so far lol

Honestly I will probably break for E3.

I miss you guys and gals though :(

Koozek

『Inaba Resident』;202375349 said:
SE probably will spoil the fuck out of XV but e3 trailers are going to be so tempting

It won't be easy and there's a good chance I'll cave in, but I'll try my best :D I left our Twitch chat group open btw, you can use that for E3 again.

Philippo

Now that the GI coverage is over i can seriously start to begin a serious blackout (GI hardly spoilered anything that we haven't already theorized anyway).

FFXV during Sony's E3 presser will probably be my bathroom break lol

saher

Banned
, eeeverything.

What makes you think they will show alot on E3?

Andromeda

Banned
Stand By Me perfectly fits XV in more ways than one though, from the themes of bonds and friendship, it being used in a film about four boys, even the lyrics reflect the story of the game and the plague of the star, as well as the lyrics reflecting Noctis's feelings of having people who stood by him too.

"When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we'll see"

As the game goes on the plague of the stars makes nights longer until eventually it is perpetual night, and the moon is the only light in the night sky. It having FF prelude mixed into and it being a real song only further solidifies it as a perfect fit for FFXV's fantasy based on reality motif.

Koozek

Stand By Me perfectly fits XV in more ways than one though, from the themes of bonds and friendship, it being used in a film about four boys, even the lyrics reflect the story of the game and the plague of the star, as well as the lyrics reflecting Noctis's feelings of having people who stood by him too.

"When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we'll see"

As the game goes on the plague of the stars makes nights longer until eventually it is perpetual night, and the moon is the only light in the night sky.

Yeah, if you think about it, it's a crazy coincidence actually.

They should just have used Cosmic Love as the theme song.

problem with that song is that it has other connotations. its speedy beat fits well with GoPro videos and PeopleAreAwesome youtube compilations where I have seen it mostly.

I'm not sure if it fits to shots of the characters looking out over a sunset or putting gas on the car.

I like this stand by me cover because the song is recognizeable, but the take is different enough for not making me think of the original film.

Althou I also remember a funny animation of stand by me with timon and pumpa from years ago.

benzy

, eeeverything.

It's so bizarre hearing this game will be out in 5 months. Anyway, I cave easily so I'll be watching the trailer, but I'm pretty confident they won't spoil the crap out of the game before release. They didn't even give Gameinformer details on any new monster, instead we got a boring article about the Catoblepas. lmao

giphy.gif

, eeeverything.

Dude there's no way I'm going on blackout. 5 months is too long to live in the shadows!

I highly doubt they'll spoil too much of anything at E3. The story of this game has been a closely guarded secret since its reveal. We've barely seen any cutscenes from the game. Almost everything we've seen so far has been in the first chapter of the game.

One thing I do hope they focus on is the English dub and if they've improved on that horrible horrible monstrosity.

wmlk

I really like that scene, it perfectly conveys the whole coming-of-age/becoming the king/inheritig the father's will/
Lion's King
theme perfectly.

I think the FFXV trailers since TGS 2014 has done that kind of characterization really well. Just simple human/quiet moments go a long way in revealing a character's inner psyche.

The second half of the Uncovered JP trailer doesn't have any action but it's so good. The music is the bummer here to me since it's not to my taste.

https://youtu.be/SoTVrFfSi8s?t=1m56s

I highly doubt they'll spoil too much of anything at E3. The story of this game has been a closely guarded secret since its reveal. We've barely seen any cutscenes from the game. Almost everything we've seen so far has been in the first chapter of the game.

One thing I do hope they focus on is the English dub and if they've improved on that horrible horrible monstrosity.

Uncovered showed a whole lot of new footage but we learned nothing new at the same time regarding the plot. They did a pretty good job keeping stuff under wraps.

They spoiled more of the story in obscure interviews than anything. The whole story beat of nights getting longer is huge, and most people following the game don't know about it.

Also, it's all but confirmed we're getting at least dual-audio at release. I might have to opt for that.

Top Bottom