• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May Cover Reveal: Final Fantasy XV

Sort of true, but probably not in this case. I'd have to see how it's written in Japanese, but I assume it uses the other reading.

For me, it seems more like the "winter is coming"/Long Night from Game of Thrones.
It's also a very "world at stake" event that results in a "change" to the mood(maybe even look of the world) of the final portion of many FF games. FFV had the
merged world ravaged by Void holes
, FFVI had the
World of Ruin
, FFVII had
Meteor summoned and the sense of hopelessness that came with it
, FFVIII had the
time compressed world
and FFIX had the
world filled with Mist

MilkBeard

I'm not referring to mechanics, just how it feels to press a button and get that immediate reaction. For any melee action combat regardless of game genre, more immediacy in button reaction is always better than a delayed response.
Not necessarily. For example, in Dark Souls you have big, slow weapons that have a long wind up. The point of having delay is to be less arcade-like and mimic the actual time it takes to swing a weapon. This animation cue adds a certain level to the tactical nature of gameplay, as using attacks will have certain consequences if you don't time them correctly.

It's been a while since I played the demo but it didn't feel out of the ordinary at least in that regard.

Team Ninja games are in a category on their own in terms of control input.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just wait for E3.

Yup. ATR confirmed and it will definitely show up at one of the platform holders conferences.

It is a bit underwhelming that S-E isn't holding a conference this year. They've got the buzz behind them and enough games on the horizon to show off.... (XV, KH3, DQXI, NieR Automata, VII Remake to name a few). A ton of people would check out their conference if they hosted once....

I suppose it just must be expensive to do one...

wmlk

From what I see from Nioh (unforunately can't play it), the enemies themselves require you to constantly evade and attack in very small windows. That's something that the Iron Giant just doesn't allow you to do since it attacks after absurdly long periods of time. There's not a lot of switching between defending and attacking. It's mostly just attacking. It's a pretty bad enemy to demo the combat with all things considered.

But yeah, attacks in FFXV have a slower wind up. It's probably just how the combat is, but combo speeds are likely tied to weapon levels since we've since different speeds in combat.

chozen

I personally loved the Plat demo, but I deff see the problems releasing that to the public.

Oddly enough I've had a lot fun playing ED, Plat demo, and Nioh demo on my ps4.

Might as well be the DemoStation 4 lol.

UnequaledGorgeousCaracal.gif

benzy

Not necessarily. For example, in Dark Souls you have big, slow weapons that have a long wind up. The point of having delay is to be less arcade-like and mimic the actual time it takes to swing a weapon. This animation cue adds a certain level to the tactical nature of gameplay, as using attacks will have certain consequences if you don't time them correctly.

It's been a while since I played the demo but it didn't feel out of the ordinary at least in that regard.

Team Ninja games are in a category on their own in terms of control input.

I'm not even talking about heavy or slow weapons though. :p The light weapons in Platinum like the royal shield & airstep have quicker animations but the controller response still feels off to me. Same with manual dodging. There are heavy weapons in Nioh too along with a high stance which focuses on longer animations and heavy attacks; those attacks definitely feel heavier and more brutal but never slugglish in button response.

Definitely curious what the final battle system will feel like in XV, it's probably something they'll continue tweaking until release. Considering they're going as far as to create two different battle modes to focus on different player styles, I find it questionable for the more technical action mode to maintain the "hold a button to attack and defend" which Tabata initially included because he wanted the combat to be more casual. I just feel it'd be better if this mode removed that and focused more on controller response.

Just got done watching the 2 hour Game Informer podcast. I thought it was a really nice discussion and it was cool to hear such a long video of some people's perspectives. Maybe there wasn't a ton of new info but I really enjoyed hearing so much impressions

GI have had really nice coverage of this

Since there doesn't seem to be another active XV thread I'll just post this here.

Anyone else just now notice Noctis is actually in the Kingsglaive poster?

Go_Ly_Dow

Has this been officially confirmed by SE that they won't be doing one this year? Or is there some sort of cutoff date that they have to announce it by or something?

Not confirmed, but likely since they have a separate ATR for XV. If we don't hear about it by the end of next week then it's very unlikely.

Since there doesn't seem to be another active XV thread I'll just post this here.

Anyone else just now notice Noctis is actually in the Kingsglaive poster?

Link?

Aters

Has this been officially confirmed by SE that they won't be doing one this year? Or is there some sort of cutoff date that they have to announce it by or something?

It's only a month before E3. If they have one, they'd tell us by now.

chozen

I don't mind if they have a small presentation durings sonys showing thats all the matters right?

and some showfloor stuff.

farisr

I don't mind if they have a small presentation durings sonys showing thats all the matters right?

and some showfloor stuff.
I just don't want any of their games getting overlooked (mainly Nier). So yeah, having their own press conference would prevent that. But hey, if they get a decent amount of time at Sony's conference, then yeah, it's all good.

Koozek

Didn't watch the podcast and I don't really think I can right now. Can a lovely person summarize it? :3
From Mognet's @LeonBlade who has it from @rapius002:
While they didn't get to summon Titan of their own accord (a developer would trigger it for them), they were told that summons each have different ways of being summoned and under certain conditions. Each of them is different and is not seemingly triggered by a "call anytime" button press. That said, they also stated that people can put aside their fears of worrying about them being like Episode Duscae. From what they gathered with the development team, it doesn't even seem like any of them are triggered from 0 HP on Noctis or anything like that (although, for one of the summons, it may be possible). It was also mentioned that there are at least 7 summons in the game (Carbuncle, Leviathan, Titan, and Ramuh, with hints at Shiva, Ifrit, and potentially Bahamut as well).

Those worried about the modern look of the game shouldn't fear: they saw plenty of concept art of later bits of the game and it is just as fantastical, whimsical, and extraordinary as we've come to expect with Final Fantasy. This includes monster designs.

Cities are all seemingly are on the scale of Novigrad, from Witcher III. In fact, they stated they are a little worried how filled these cities will be because of how big they are. Expect a lot of shops, alcoves, landmarks, etc.

Character interactions are important. Whether it be via the combat (like TC stated), the banter in the car, the animations in the field as they run around, or cutscenes where they are all together, how these characters interact and play off each other is a very core piece of the game.

The world is open, but shouldn't worry those who prefer more linear-based worlds. They described it as being (like many of us have stated) 1:1 interpretations of the old games' worlds. Just open enough to provide plenty of side stuff to do, but linear enough to focus on the main story and not get so sidetracked that it detracts from the focus.

For those who are fans of the pre-PS2 era, fear not. Many of the staff working on this game are fans of the older ones (as well as many having actually developed those older ones). V and VI were notable as being the largest influences. However, VII, VIII, and IX are definitely big inspirations as well.

Elemental magic is found via naturally occuring areas in the world, similar to FFVIII drawpoints.

Areas of Chapter 1 aren't chock full of tons of "goodies", but there is plenty of wildlife running around, NPCs every now and then, as well a couple handfuls of secret areas and landmarks to distract you if you want. It should also be noted, they highly emphasized, that Chapter 1 is in a desert area and is therefore somewhat purposely sparse compared to other segments of the game (it's also meant to be as an introduction). They pretty much said you will see just as much in the desert as you did in Episode Duscae.​

From Mognet's @LeonBlade who has it from @rapius002:
It was also mentioned that there are at least 7 summons in the game (Carbuncle, Leviathan, Titan, and Ramuh, with hints at Shiva, Ifrit, and potentially Bahamut as well).

Those worried about the modern look of the game shouldn't fear: they saw plenty of concept art of later bits of the game and it is just as fantastical, whimsical, and extraordinary as we've come to expect with Final Fantasy. This includes monster designs.

Cities are all seemingly are on the scale of Novigrad, from Witcher III. In fact, they stated they are a little worried how filled these cities will be because of how big they are. Expect a lot of shops, alcoves, landmarks, etc.

Yooooooo. All this sounds so amazing. Seven summons doesn't bother me. They all seem to be the classic ones. I played Witcher 3 and Novigrad was huge. God damn, this game is going to be sooooo good. Thanks for the summary!

Mediking

Time to go into hibernation, see y'all in June! No more news until then but we'll be eating soon enough.

*XV Gaf my heart will always be with you (Venom Snake voice )

You mean... see ya until the release date in September because the game is doomed to get spoiled before then. Lol why do you think you hardly see me in XV threads anymore? Too afraid to get spoiled.

Koozek

I already kinda regret seeing the environments footage at Uncovered. That must have been at least 70% of all regions. No way I'm following any E3 coverage. Watch them spoil every single summon set piece and play the last hour of the game on a Twitch stream or so.

OnFire331

I already kinda regret seeing the environments footage at Uncovered. That must have been at least 70% of all regions. No way I'm following any E3 coverage. Watch them spoil every single summon set piece and play the last hour of the game on a Twitch stream or so.

lol of course not. More than 70% of the trailer are locations we've already seen.

Forgot to take a picture today but there are huge displays in Tokyo electronics stores advertising the game. One display had a bunch of pics from Uncovered trailer plus some CG we saw in 2013 re-reveal. Guess that means there's still some hope of that stuff making it in the final game.

Andromeda

Banned

There was only like three locations in the environment video for places we hadn't seen before.

Mediking

Don't follow games you really care for so closely. You'll end up in Spoiled City.

Fou-Lu

I wish I had been a bit older pre-FF7 release. It would have been so fun to follow instead of just seeing a couple commericials then watching my older brother play it.

Philippo

Man, can't wait to explore that world, fight those summons etc.

But those journalist weren't overly positive, i guess it's the same "i hope its good and i hope it saves the franchise" that we all have in our heads.

Man, can't wait to explore that world, fight those summons etc.

But those journalist weren't overly positive, i guess it's the same "i hope its good and i hope it saves the franchise" that we all have in our heads.

What are some disappointments that you might come across when the final game is released?

It really only seemed like the "host" (the blondish-brown haired guy) that seemed to have a bit of a skeptical bias.
He was also annoyingly obsessive over FFVII.
The other two were definitely more optimistic (with Kim not letting herself get too hyped).

Go_Ly_Dow

Multiple continents? So the world map we know about is for only one continent? Holy shit if true.

Nah, the environmental trailer showed snippets of many if not all continents.

The game always had multiple continents even back in the Versus days -Lucis, Accordo, Nifelheim, Solheim, Tenebrae.

I would say the one we know the least about is Solheim. It hasn't been mentioned in story stuff for a while. Hope it's not been removed!

Top Bottom