• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May Cover Reveal: Final Fantasy XV

I wonder what piece he is referring to:

There’s an interesting book that puts together the modern art history of Japan, and one of my personal art pieces was placed in this book. You can see several familiar Final Fantasy characters and illustrations spread across the piece – they’re existing as Final Fantasy characters within the art as a piece of expression.

One of the hosts from the GI show just tweeted out that they will be having a 2 hour long discussion on FFXV tonight at 7 EST/6 CST.

Here is hoping to new footage and some decent info. All the footage we've seen so far has been pretty much 5-10 second bits here and there.

Edit: Also, the day-to-day coverage seems to be ending in April because they will be moving to a new cover story. Now would be the time to lift the curtain on all this stuff they say they have.

One of the hosts from the GI show just tweeted out that they will be having a 2 hour long discussion on FFXV tonight at 7 EST/6 CST.

Here is hoping to new footage and some decent info. All the footage we've seen so far has been pretty much 5-10 second bits here and there.

Edit: Also, the day-to-day coverage seems to be ending in April because they will be moving to a new cover story. Now would be the time to lift the curtain on all this stuff they say they have.

That's the podcast they hinted a few weeks ago. I'll skip the story bits I'm curious on everything else, I'm sure a gaffer will do a thread about it covering the spoilers.

chozen

New footage please dear god.

Go_Ly_Dow

FF7 Remake team work in the same section as the XV team according to that new vid.

I wonder if Nomura takes a peak every now and then.

chozen

That podcast was mostly useless they have no idea what they're talking about. Nevertheless, appreciate the impressions.

Yeah got nothing out of it other than their optimism I guess? One more thing on the list tomorrow, I'd hope it's all the gameplay footage...

Ray Down

Banned
"The Plague of Stars"

I don't remember anyone talking about that before. I like that name.

It was mentioned in the TGS famitsu issue, the Plague of Stars is responsible for the nights getting longer and the monsters getting more violent. Luna is trying to prevent it from advancing.

It was mentioned in the TGS famitsu issue, the Plague of Stars is responsible for the nights getting longer and the monsters getting more violent. Luna is trying to prevent it from advancing.

Yeah, it was mentioned for a while, but in selected interviews. The planet(called Eos) is suffering from this illness that is causing the nights to grow longer, eventually resulting in world of eternal night/darkness. They never mentioned what is causing it(as these guys hinted, it might be something tied to Niflheim, or an ancient "threat" tied to the "prophecy"). Very Final Fantasy-type of thing(especially the aspect of a "Dark World" versus Light and the balance between both). People have speculated the "red moon" some were able to get in Episode Duscae is somehow related to it.

That podcast was mostly useless they have no idea what they're talking about. Nevertheless, appreciate the impressions.

Unfortunately that's exactly what I got out of the last FFXV Game Informer Show. They were giving their thoughts and opinions rather than any real concrete details and most of the people talking seemed only passingly familiar with the game and Final Fantasy as a whole. I was hoping for a lot more than a bunch of armchair speculation and thoughts from people who aren't really huge fans. With that in mind I'll probably skip this one and hope they reveal something with meat soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath on them showing too much gameplay though. A lot of what they played through seems ridiculously rough. Like, unfit to show to the public rough. I'd be surprised if they reveal much more.

Re podcast, indeed a big heap of conjecture and retread. The one thing that jumped out at me though was when they discussed the map size.

They seemed to have seen some kind of representation of the world with "multiple continents" and were impressed by how much they felt remained to be shown. Then they spoke with some confidence of their being another map they hadn't been shown as well (the moon?). I wonder if this confidence came from something else they saw when there (e.g., in the monster book or some such).

Obviously take with a grain of salt.

brad-t

The only interesting factoid to come out of this was that the version of the battle system they played — and I assume, the version present in the Platinum Demo — is the more active version. Meaning we haven't seen the more passive version yet. I think at least a few people were hoping that this one was the passive one and there would be a more difficult mode coming.

FF7 Remake team work in the same section as the XV team according to that new vid.

I wonder if Nomura takes a peak every now and then.

I think he just passes it off as going back to his old desk to collect his stash of psychostimulants whenever he has to pull a third all-nighter in a row.

Koozek

I think he just passes it off as going back to his old desk to collect his stash of psychostimulants whenever he has to pull a third all-nighter in a row.
image.php

The only interesting factoid to come out of this was that the version of the battle system they played — and I assume, the version present in the Platinum Demo — is the more active version. Meaning we haven't seen the more passive version yet. I think at least a few people were hoping that this one was the passive one and there would be a more difficult mode coming.

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would come to the conclusion that the version we've played is anything but the active version.

I'd wager the more passive version will look something like Dissidia's RPG mode.

Go_Ly_Dow

In 10 years well get a FFXV reboot in which Nomura is allowed to use all the created assets to bring his original Versus vision to life.

Hope the more difficult mode makes the parry window smaller.

benzy

Hope the more difficult mode makes the parry window smaller.

They need to get rid of the hold a button to attack and defend altogether for the more technical mode, and have the attacks feel 1:1 to the button presses. After coming from Nioh, XV feels pretty sluggish.

They need to get rid of the hold a button to attack and defend altogether for the more technical mode, and have the attacks feel 1:1 to the button presses.

I think you're misreading. The post above was saying we already have the more "technical" mode and haven't seen the simpler one.

I don't think the hold to attack and defend stuff is going away.

Ishida

Banned
In 10 years well get a FFXV reboot in which Nomura is allowed to use all the created assets to bring his original Versus vision to life.

Yes.

And it will never be released. By 2030 we will still be getting small chunks of vague info in interviews from Nomura, and the game will become vaporware just like Versus XIII was.

muteki

They need to get rid of the hold a button to attack and defend altogether for the more technical mode, and have the attacks feel 1:1 to the button presses. After coming from Nioh, XV feels pretty sluggish.
In my head that's a completely different genre though, and is apples and oranges.

wmlk

I played Platinum Demo for the first time last weekend and still have a list of impressions in front of me. The responsiveness of the attacks were never a problem to me and I was just coming off of KH3D. I see what the difference is finally, but it made 0 difference to any approach I was making and I could ignore it.

Philippo

Yes.

And it will never be released. By 2030 we will still be getting small chunks of vague info in interviews from Nomura, and the game will become vaporware just like Versus XIII was.

Faithful to the original till the end.
Nomura is a perfectionist.

pablito

Yes.

And Tabata will again be hired to make an actual game out of it

Time to go into hibernation, see y'all in June! No more news until then but we'll be eating soon enough.

*XV Gaf my heart will always be with you (Venom Snake voice )

.JayZii

Banned
The name kinda reminds me of "Geostigma", because (if I recall correctly) star and planet are the same word in Japanese.
Sort of true, but probably not in this case. I'd have to see how it's written in Japanese, but I assume it uses the other reading.

For me, it seems more like the "winter is coming"/Long Night from Game of Thrones.

benzy

In my head that's a completely different genre though, and is apples and oranges.

I'm not referring to mechanics, just how it feels to press a button and get that immediate reaction. For any melee action combat regardless of game genre, more immediacy in button reaction is always better than a delayed response.

Top Bottom