• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's next cover is Assassin's Creed: Origins [Up: All details inside]

This sounds interesting, and I say that as someone who completely lost interest in franchise prior to the start of this gen, and hasn't played an AC game in years. This could be good, but I'm still approaching it with caution nonetheless. Fascinating setting, though. Also, Scorpio support is expected, but no mention of PRO support? Surely there will be PRO support, right?

Probably just means they will advertise the Scorpio support if Microsoft has the marketing deal with them. Pro will get support but they just won't talk about it.

(yawn) next please ....bored of AC series

I mean, so am I but this finally seems like the one to keep an eye on.

Iksenpets

Banned
Cleopatra, huh? I was expecting them to go more ancient, have the Pyramids be brand new sort of era. I figured they would start there and then have sequels jump forward to Greece and Rome, but I guess this era lets them have the whole Classical Mediterranean world open to this protagonist, if they want to keep him around for sequels in Greece and Rome. Or go full nuts and give him a sequel returning to Jerusalem to meet Master Assassin Jesus.

Cross-posting from the other thread:

"Here's a detailed list from HungryGhost57 on the article and what it mentions, get ready.

All new info: • Started working on game before unity • Brand new fighting system • New A.I. • No minimap but a elder scrolls type compass at top • No more sprinting button, speed depends on analog stick • Crouching is back • Story is being kept a secret • Eagle vision is a subtle pulse that highlights objects not enemies • Takes place during the ascent and reign of cleopatra • You can climb everything in the game • Large and small cities with many landmarks including Memphis and Alexandria • The controllable eagle leak was true • NPC's have a day/night cycle and includes time for them to eat, sleep, work, and "answer the call of nature" • Attack buttons are the right shoulder and trigger • A.I. does not take turns to attack • New combat system is more hit-box driven • As you fight, an adrenaline gauge fills up, and when both attack buttons are pressed powerful attacks are unleashed • Left shoulder button is lock on • There are treasures to find in the depths of the water (sunken ships, long-forgotten ruins) • Stat element of customization is removed • New gear system where players can improve specific parts of your gear by crafting materials • Leveling system that has a level cap of 40 • Bayek is not the only playable character in the game but that character is a secret • There are legendary items to loot in the game • You can add blocked arrows to your inventory • You can no longer one hit enemies that are more powerful than you with your hidden blade • Buttons for free-running up and down are removed • Puzzles are back but more challenging and less switches • Much more in depth ability graph with 3 paths (Seer, Warrior, Hunter) • There are gladiator battles in arenas"

This all sounds amazing.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Assuming the
secret character is female
the only thing that makes me less excited about this is
the Cleopatra time period is kind of lame. I'd much rather it be earlier.

If the rumours are true the secret character is
Arno, you'd play him in some time rifts.

Welfare

"Here's a detailed list from HungryGhost57 on the article and what it mentions, get ready.

All new info: • Started working on game before unity • Brand new fighting system • New A.I. • No minimap but a elder scrolls type compass at top • No more sprinting button, speed depends on analog stick • Crouching is back • Story is being kept a secret • Eagle vision is a subtle pulse that highlights objects not enemies • Takes place during the ascent and reign of cleopatra • You can climb everything in the game • Large and small cities with many landmarks including Memphis and Alexandria • The controllable eagle leak was true • NPC's have a day/night cycle and includes time for them to eat, sleep, work, and "answer the call of nature" • Attack buttons are the right shoulder and trigger • A.I. does not take turns to attack • New combat system is more hit-box driven • As you fight, an adrenaline gauge fills up, and when both attack buttons are pressed powerful attacks are unleashed • Left shoulder button is lock on • There are treasures to find in the depths of the water (sunken ships, long-forgotten ruins) • Stat element of customization is removed • New gear system where players can improve specific parts of your gear by crafting materials • Leveling system that has a level cap of 40 • Bayek is not the only playable character in the game but that character is a secret • There are legendary items to loot in the game • You can add blocked arrows to your inventory • You can no longer one hit enemies that are more powerful than you with your hidden blade • Buttons for free-running up and down are removed • Puzzles are back but more challenging and less switches • Much more in depth ability graph with 3 paths (Seer, Warrior, Hunter) • There are gladiator battles in arenas"
Uhhhhhh.....

Holy shit this is a complete revamp. All of this sounds incredible.

Blobbers

classic Ubisoft. always trying to have their cake and eat it too. Oh, what do we do for the game informer cover? How about we make an imaginative picture that'll kinda show the land of the time, maybe you can see the Nile in the corner, a few aquaducts- Nah, let's just plop the generic AC hero on one of the most iconic structures in the history of the world. Well, no. Because now it just looks like you took the Sphinx and infested it with your Ubisoftness.
Always trying to reach the biggest audience with the least work. "Oh let's just use the word iconic when it's not appropriate", "Oh let's just pretty up our games in trailers so they look better than any other game at that given time", and now finally "Oh let's sell the premise of our series in the laziest way possible - you visit cool locations and climb iconic structures"

Ubisoft are the "this joke was too obvious to make" of video game developers. Why is a joke usually too obvious? Because it's the easy one to make. It's the easy way out. The cheapest way to get laughs. It needs no brain investment from the maker of the joke. When you hear someone is making a video game set in Egypt, the very first thing that enters your mind are the pyramids and the Sphinx. That's why it's too obvious to let those 2 be the focus of a promo image. Because you LITERALLY can't get lazier than that. Give me a scene, a cryptic message, something original from the story you're trying to tell.
This would be the equivalent of someone making a murder mystery game and the game cover is just a magnifying glass and smoke pipe

Anyway, I'm having really high hopes that this is gonna dethrone Unity as the best AC game

This seems like an odd choice considering
Unity is likely the least liked game in the series and having Evie in Syndicate was one of the more well liked parts of the game.

classic Ubisoft. always trying to have their cake and eat it too. Oh, what do we do for the game informer cover? How about we make an imaginative picture that'll kinda show the land of the time, maybe you can see the Nile in the corner, a few aquaducts- Nah, let's just plop the generic AC hero on one of the most iconic structures in the history of the world. Well, no. Because now it just looks like you took the Sphinx and infested it with your Ubisoftness.
Always trying to reach the biggest audience with the least work. "Oh let's just use the word iconic when it's not appropriate", "Oh let's just pretty up our games in trailers so they look better than any other game at that given time", and now finally "Oh let's sell the premise of our series in the laziest way possible - you visit cool locations and climb iconic structures"

Ubisoft are the "this joke was too obvious to make" of video game developers. Why is a joke usually too obvious? Because it's the easy one to make. It's the easy way out. The cheapest way to get laughs. It needs no brain investment from the maker of the joke. When you hear someone is making a video game set in Egypt, the very first thing that enters your mind are the pyramids and the Sphinx. That's why it's too obvious to let those 2 be the focus of a promo image. Because you LITERALLY can't get lazier than that. Give me a scene, a cryptic message, something original from the story you're trying to tell.
This would be the equivalent of someone making a murder mystery game and the game cover is just a magnifying glass and smoke pipe

Anyway, I'm having really high hopes that this is gonna dethrone Unity as the best AC game

None of that matters. When you are marketing a game you go for what's obvious. The main character being on the Sphinx makes it immediately identifiable to consumers this takes place in Egypt.

sjay1994

What is this comment?

Manu

"Started working on game before unity"

So this was Origins after all:

assassins-creed-5.jpg

halfbeast

Banned

As you fight, an adrenaline gauge fills up, and when both attack buttons are pressed powerful attacks are unleashed.

so, it's
Thrill Kill
Creed?

Is this copypasta?

Iksenpets

Banned

Wait, really? I'm surprised they would want to dig that up again. Is someone at Ubisoft desperate to redeem the reputation of Unity or something?

Hastati

This sounds great so far, the increase in arpg elements is a major plus in my book. Also love the lack of minimap, hopefully it doesnt feel like an endless interest point unlockathon like their last decade of games. Also love the setting, really want more games set in BC. looking forward to seeing some gameplay.

actually it sounds like this can be classified as a full blown rpg at this point? maybe?

No mention of a jump button tho.....

And I don't like the fact you can't assassinate enemies with a higher level than you. Now it means when you see a high level enemy, instead of having a thrilling sequence where you try to find the right way to sneak up on them for the kill and escape their high level companions, you just avoid them. This probably also means headshotting people is gonna leave humans still alive and running at you with arrows sticking out of their heads *sigh*.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Creed 2 isn't even the best selling entry in the franchise though.

But I get what you're saying.

It's the last AC game I played and nearly platinumed. I thought Brotherhood looked good but I was waiting for a numbered iteration and not a stop gap. After AC2 though, it just became a yearly franchise. It morphed into a CoD clone in terms of yearly output and that turned me off to the franchise. Now that I think back on it, I did get Black Flag aat PS4's launch but I could never bring myself to touch it.

I really didn't like Unity nor Syndicate, but this is sounding really great. I'm actually excited for a Ubisoft game for once... Crazy times.

Kaswa101

Wait, really? I'm surprised they would want to dig that up again. Is someone at Ubisoft desperate to redeem the reputation of Unity or something?

Iirc the Unity DLC implied that Arno was headed to Egypt, so maybe it'll tie in somehow; perhaps similarly to how Ezio's story tied in with Altair's in Revelations?

Although I seem to recall that there was another rumour saying that
there's a female playable character too, but I don't remember where it was from.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This sounds great so far, the increase in arpg elements is a major plus in my book. Also love the lack of minimap, hopefully it doesnt feel like an endless interest point unlockathon like their last decade of games. Also love the setting, really want more games set in BC. looking forward to seeing some gameplay.

actually it sounds like this can be classified as a full blown rpg at this point? maybe?

The lack of a minimap does make me a little concerned about how collectables will work. In Watch Dogs 2, they only appear on the map if they're relatively close, presumably so the player wouldn't feel compelled to seek them out, which I wasn't much a fan of. I hope there's at least the option of purchasing or otherwise acquiring, say, a treasure map.

TheKeyPit

Banned

Day1.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This could be the first AC game i will buy since AC2 lol.

I'm interested.

Granjinha

Those details sound amazing. HHNGHHHHHHHH so hyped for E3

is this a meme or something?

Top Bottom