• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Quotes!

NIN90

capturerkczw.jpg

"Seven minutes. Seven minutes is all I can spare to play with you."
"YOU WILL GIVE ME THE EGG!"

Nicktals

Banned
"Everybody deals with grief differently, right? Some people fuck at funerals.

I cut off heads."

--Travis Motherfucking Touchdown

I enjoy the brevity of old SNES-era localisations. They had very strict character-limits, which could and did lead to a lot of awkward phrasing, or complete nonsense. Some games, like Soul Blazer, would end up with dialogue that sounds like you're reading fortune cookies.

"Like good sleep comes after hard work, good rest comes after an honest life."
Rest in piece, Turbo the dog.

gblues

Banned
"Another visitor! Stay awhile. STAAAAAAY FOREVEEEEER!"

- Impossible Mission, c64 (a system with no PCM sound output, making the synthesized voice even more impressive)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Right. Touch that wire and the C4 will blow up along with the old man! So you're the one the Boss keeps talking about... Special Operations FOX-HOUND. Revolver Ocelot. I've been waiting for you, Solid Snake. Now we'll see if the man can live up to the legend! This is the greatest handgun ever made. The Colt Single Action Army. Six bullets. More than enough to kill anything that moves. Now I'll show you why they call me... "Revolver"... Draw!

Brotherrrr! It's been too long. Rejoice! We're not copies of our father, after all! We are freed of the shackles of fate! Snake! Brothhherr... we are free! Watch, Snake, watch as I surpass my own origin!

Nzyme32

Deus Ex (original) has been a great predictor of the future

JC Denton - Electronic surveillance hardly inspires reverence. Perhaps fear and obedience, but not reverence

Morpheus AI - God and the Gods were apparitions of observation, judgement, and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary

JC Denton - No one will ever worship a software entity peering at them through a camera

Morpheus AI - The human organism always worships. First it was the Gods, then it was fame (the observation and judgement of others), next will be the self-aware systems you have built to realise truly omnipresent observation and judgement.

JC Denton - You underestimate humankind's love of freedom

Morpheus AI - The individual desires judgement. Without that desire, the cohesion of groups is impossible, so is civilisation

Bandit1

“The explosion in my apartment had started a fire. The flames couldn't burn away my past. They only made the shadows behind me leap higher.” – Max Payne

“Home, sweet home. Something in the night felt like a door had been opened, an echo of the past, an old monster snapping its eyes open in the depths of my brain. Closing your eyes forces you to look at the darkness inside.” – Max Payne

“’The things that I want’, by Max Payne. A smoke. A whiskey. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep to forget. To change the past. My wife and baby girl back. Unlimited ammo and a license to kill. Right then, more than anything, I wanted her.” – Max Payne

“Fraternizing with the enemy. I had stepped over the edge. The cartoon moment when the gravity waits for the coyote to realize his mistake before the plunge.” – Max Payne

You. I like you.

"As surely as the bullet rips through the victim's flesh, organ and bone, it shatters the image of the man who presses the trigger. These are the moments I see when I look back, blinding as snow. They kill you, change you. You die and live again remade."

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And then it was over. To make any kind of sense of it, I need to go back three years. Back to the night the pain started." - Max Payne

"The sun went down with practiced bravado. Twilight crawled across the sky, laden with foreboding." - Max Payne

"This was my second train ride of the night. The way it started didn't promise anything better than the last one. Freezing wind tearing at my face like sandpaper and razors. Ice hard and slick under my hands and feet, and somewhere in the background the wail of sirens, the city howling after me." - Max Payne

"There was no glory in this. I hadn't asked for this crap. Trouble had come to me, in big dark swarms. The good and the just, they were like gold dust in this city. I had no illusions. I was not one of them. I was no hero. Just me and the gun, and the crook. My options had decreased to a singular course." - Max Payne
Sam Lake is a genius. Love his writing in Max Payne. So good.

Bandit1

"They were all dead. Love kills. Did I love her? Was there a choice? The past is a gaping hole. You try to run from it, but the more you run, the deeper, more terrible it grows behind you, its edges yawning at your heels. Your only chance is to turn around and face it. But it's like looking into the grave of your dead love. Or kissing the mouth of a gun, a bullet trembling in its dark nest, ready to blow your head off." - Max Payne

"You piece together a jigsaw and the final picture is you finishing that same puzzle, a mad green-eyed killer standing behind you. An urban legend come true." - Max Payne

"The Brooklyn riverfront was a maze of rusty containers, sharp-boned cranes looming up from the snowstorm. On a night like this you couldn't help but think of the dark army of dead men, sleeping with the fishes, cement shoes in line. No minotaur lurked in this labyrinth, but somewhere out there, on the clanking deck of his cargo freighter, the skipper of the Charon was waiting, like the ferryman of the river Styx." - Max Payne

"It's me or you friend, the way I see it, might as well be you." - John Marston

The Last of Us spoiler:
"Turns out there's a whole lot more like you Ellie..."

200px-DimentioSuperPaperMario.png

"Now we must duel, like two glimmering banjos on a moonlit stoop!"

Pretty much every line of dialogue in that game is quotable, and I'll defend it until I die.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
"What are any of my accomplishments in the whole of this world? I have traveled from one end of the land to the other. I have killed creatures that can stop a man's heart with but a look. I have the blood of man and mer uncountable on my hands. I have seen the atrocities of war and the hideous excess of peace. There is nothing left for me in this world.

What is the use of knowing my name? If it will make you more comfortable, you may call me Umbra. It is the name of my blade, though it may as well be mine.

I have seen the wholesale slaughter of men, women, entire races of people. Villages have burned before my eyes—my hand has held the torch, and my hand has thrown water on the flames. I have been ankle deep in blood, swinging Umbra in a wide arc, all for the glory of the battle, and here I still stand.

I have no more to do in this life. I have saved whole towns from packs of Daedra, and I have slaughtered men for the glory of countless nobles. All that is left for me is my own death, and the gods have cheated me of that. All I ask is to die like a warrior, but how can that be?

I don't believe it is too much to ask to die as a warrior should—in battle. It is my curse, though, that I have found no one that can best me in combat. Are you the one that can? Can you come and lift me from these shackles of life? Come then, be the new wielder of Umbra!"

-Umbra (Morrowind)

"In movies, there has to be a plot twist. That means things always go wrong once before you get to the happy ending." - Viewtiful Joe

"The clock, much like time itself, is a gift, and not to be tampered with." - Orvus (Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time)

"You're cute. Time to die!" - MODOK to Rocket Raccoon (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3)

"In Spanish, your name means 'it doesn't go'. You are aptly named, amigo." - Iron Man to Nova (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3)

"Puny man not Phoenix! Phoenix a bird lady. Hulk confused!" - Hulk to Phoenix Wright (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3)

"I'm the best!" - Toad (Mario Kart 64)

"She's right. I whip it out at the drop of a hat." Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney: Justice For All)

atr0cious

Starfox 64 has quotes to last a lifetime.

"I guess I should be thankful." -Falco

"I didn't think I'd get to use this!"
"You're very lucky." -Landmaster Train bad guys

"Daddy squealed good before he died!" -Pigma

"Fox!" -Slippy

Woorloog

Banned
A little "proper." I'd say something more like "What's wrong." Quick, reactionary, but relevant.
Well, the Chief is a career soldier. "What's the situation" would suit him, treat others as soldiers (in Fall of Reach, the Chief isn't quite sure how to treat Cortana, is she a civvie or a soldier or what?).
I think "What's wrong" shows too much concern for the person/AI, and i don't think the Chief would show that. At least, not at that point.
Halo 4's characterization of the Chief as "broken" and somewhat sociopathic is brilliant in my opinion. Too bad his affection for Cortana makes it too much like a love-story that doesn't quite fit Halo. And that it contradicts previous video game portrayals of the Chief, where he doesn't have much personality or anything.

Chettlar

Banned
Well, the Chief is a career soldier. "What's the situation" would suit him, treat others as soldiers (in Fall of Reach, the Chief isn't quite sure how to treat Cortana, is she a civvie or a soldier or what?).
I think "What's wrong" shows too much concern for the person/AI, and i don't think the Chief would show that. At least, not at that point.
Halo 4's characterization of the Chief as "broken" and somewhat sociopathic is brilliant in my opinion. Too bad his affection for Cortana makes it too much like a love-story that doesn't quite fit Halo. And that it contradicts previous video game portrayals of the Chief, where he doesn't have much personality or anything.

I can see your point. Works either way. Then again, he did just wake up.

I do agree though. His characterization was really off. But 343 messed up a lot of things in Halo, like making the friggin didact not a human. Bungie even outright said the forerunners were humans. But nah, 343 had to go the uber cliché route. Blagh.

FluxWaveZ

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All

What made it particularly amazing was how it immediately succeeded a scene that's meant to be emotional and dramatic.

"I'm afraid your path ends here." - Jago, Killer Instinct (Xbone)

The way he says it with such disinterest just makes him the edgiest 90's badass ever.

Caayn

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
- Prophet of Truth, Halo 2.

This quote still send shivers down my spine.

galvenize

"Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended."

Great stuff! People forget when they talk about Sands of Time that so much of what was special about that game was Jordan Mechner's literate writing and dialogue. That's the spark the series has never been able to recapture.
Oh yes, definitely. His writing and overseeing of the game is the main reason why the game is still amazing, even after all these years. While later games improved on graphics and mechanics, none of them have the charm that SoT has even after 11 years.

Ubisoft should seriously release an HD upgrade of the game.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
"Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended."

These words still echo in my head sometimes. She really was a creepy, yet intriguing character.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
"Touch the demon inside me.."
- Maiden in Black (Demon's Souls)

Top Bottom