• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog: Seasons of Heaven coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch, first screens

LordKano

Not a troll post no, i know most people refuse to debate that possibility but they always tend to avoid the battery life problem. Well it seems it's safe to say it's more powerful now, and that's nice!

They refused to debate that possibility because the idea that the Switch could be less powerful than the Wii U is silly.

Josh7289

I'm quite interested, and the game visually looks really good. I'm glad Switch can presumably produce visuals like that.

Well I mean we have 3rd party screenshots of a game purportedly running on the Switch hardware. Using what appear to be some fairly advanced effects.

We can't glean anything from that?

These Screens are most likely from the PC build of the game. So we need to see it running on a Switch to be sure what the console is capable of.

Nairume

Banned
Heh, just a video with the game running should be enough. That's more than what Sadness got. Heh, heh.
Shots of the game, actual evidence that they have worked with Nintendo to some extent, and journalist(s) saying they've seen the game are all more than Sadness got.

Not that I'm sure this being pointed out will do much to stop drive by posts by people making the comparison.

Nevertheless, and this is my point, the screens of Seasons of Heaven make Zelda look very outdated. Nintendo showing a sensationally surprising gameplay scene at Jimmy Fallon and only a few hours later, a (controlled?) leak for an exclusive Switch title emerges, which first screens are dwarfing Zelda's visuals at least in my opinion. This is indeed a strange timing. No idea if Nintendo cares about it or not. As I said, very interesting if they let a comparably small Indie team decide to show the way the visuals could go at this point.

I think Zelda is bound to impress more people. Just look at the draw distances shown, look at the physics engine being shown off in every reveal, look at the animated blades of grass.

Seasons of Heaven is a pretty game, but Zelda is definitely more ambitious technically and it shows. For instance it's pretty evident that the grass in Seasons of Heaven has that 2D-cardboard look to it and is unlikely to sway or react to your character.

Both titles do what they are trying to do very well (Seasons of Heaven looks more detailed because it's evidently focusing on smaller locations) but I think Zelda would impress more through scale alone.

You must be a mind reader because I was gonna put "Sort of like Uncharted 4" in my original post

I am not a mind reader, you are just to predictable. ;)

Sorry, no need for me to sound like an asshole. I know what you mean. It could be an fine looking game with horrible gameplay. Maybe like Everybodys Gone To The Rapture or things like that.

If you go to their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/AnyArtsProduction/) you can see

1. It seems to be a confirmed Switch exclusive, straight from the horse's mouth

2. Their studio looks like a shrine dedicated to The Legend of Zelda. Not hard to see why they decided to make their game Nintendo exlusive

I'd imagine Nintendo would be asking them to take some of this stuff down if they're not actually Nintendo partners here (which some posters seem to be claiming).

LordKano

For those who are wondering why the screens are in some letterbox resolution, I think I found the answer. When you look closely at that screen on a white background, you can clearly see that it has a weird black line on the top :
SeasonsofHeaven_NX_Editeur_005.jpg

That's because the thing has been badly scropped from this screenshot, which is probably from a cutscene, judging by the black border.
SeasonsofHeaven_NX_Editeur_006.jpg

So I expect that every one of the "letterbox" screenshots are actually taken from cutscenes, with the black borders scrapped off.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hm I wait for real gameplay footage. This looks to good to be true, looks like xone ps4 gfx

To be fair, Switch is infinitely closer to XB1 and PS4 than Wii to PS3 and 360, or Wii U to XB1 or PS4.

It has the ability to show comparable graphical effects even if they may have to be scaled down, because unlike wii u, it supports DX11 and DX12 level shaders.

ghibli99

Cool! Looks nice so far, and hope it's good. I know Nintendo has Retro, but I would for them to work with more studios like that (i.e., more output).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really think the best approach here is to take it cautiously.

We better get a confirmation before jump into any conclusion.

It's not like people haven't already jumped to conclusions on the other side. This thread is pure sadness (pun intended).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We don't know where the screenshots are running from, but i'm glad we know some indie devs are looking at Nintendo regardless.

I think Zelda is bound to impress more people. Just look at the draw distances shown, look at the physics engine being shown off in every reveal, look at the animated blades of grass.

Seasons of Heaven is a pretty game, but Zelda is definitely more ambitious technically and it shows. For instance it's pretty evident that the grass in Seasons of Heaven has that 2D-cardboard look to it and is unlikely to sway or react to your character.

Both titles do what they are trying to do very well (Seasons of Heaven looks more detailed because it's evidently focusing on smaller locations) but I think Zelda would impress more through scale alone.

Absolutely. I guess I was a little too drastic with my comparison. Zelda is in no way unimpressive, I love the look and I believe this will be a great world to visit! The scale alone, as you say, will make it the Hyrule we always dreamed of (thinking of that old drawing from Zelda I when I was a child, where Link walks on a path, the Death Mountain looming in the far distance...).

I really just wanted to compare the dense foliage and the light shining through the leaves. A kind of look, that seems quite up to date and gives a hint to visual fidelity which couldn't be achieved with Zelda's engine, bound to the WiiU.

LordKano

That kind of confirms that they have devkits, no? So this is a real, Switch project. The screens aren't necessarily from the Switch but this is nothing like Sadness.

I'll be at the Nintendo Switch event in Paris on January 13th and I certainly don't have any devkit.

I'll be at the Nintendo Switch event in Paris on January 13th and I certainly don't have any devkit.

Will you be there as a journalist or a developer though? I'm guessing a developer's twitter account wouldn't post that they'll be at the event as journalists or another type of guest.

LordRaptor

Some people see "Nintendo" on the thread title and it just brings up some very bad memories of Reggie killing their dog or something.

The Wii and DS briefly made videogames a broadly socially acceptable pastime in a way it hadn't been for years, not just confined to angry young men, misanthropes and socially maladjusted misfits.

LordKano

Will you be there as a journalist or a developer though? I'm guessing a developer's twitter account wouldn't post that they'll be at the event as journalists or another type of guest.

Journalist, but you don't need to be a journalist to be there. They're fairly open. You just have to be either responsible of a gaming site, or just someone famous enough to justify your presence.

LordKano

Eurogamer has the screenshots with the black borders, as originally intended. Honestly I don't see how it's supposed to be too good for the Switch. If the screenshots are indication of the native resolution, it's a 720p game, with aliasing and a not-that-high draw distance. It still looks good, but nothing that screams bullshot.

Eurogamer has the screenshots with the black borders, as originally intended. Honestly I don't see how it's supposed to be too good for the Switch. If the screenshots are indication of the native resolution, it's a 720p game, with aliasing and a not-that-high draw distance. It still looks good, but nothing that screams bullshot.

interesting, who is passing out these pics?

release the trailer already

Ah yeah, good. This sounds much, much more official now.

Top Bottom