• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog: Seasons of Heaven coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch, first screens

BDGAME

Beautiful modeling and lighting.
I can't say nothing more about it, but I hope that game is so good as it look.

LordKano

So they got the invitation being vaporware unrecognized dev? ;p

Don't tell them but that's exactly how I did. I used a screenshot of that UE4 Kite demo and they thought I was working on a game for the Switch, such fools.

Now I gotta go break all these delicious NDA.

Rodin

I know that. But the Switch is not supposed to be that big a step up from Wii-U.

If you say so. Some evidence would be nice though, otherwise i'd just wait for some more info before making that claim. Meanwhile, you should probably know that even standard Jetson TX1 would a pretty big step up from Wii U.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If you say so. Some evidence would be nice though, otherwise i'd just wait for some more info before making that claim. Meanwhile, you should probably know that even standard Jetson TX1 would a pretty big step up from Wii U.

Got it
Lets wait january

I mean, I absolutely hope it's a pretty beefy system. But even the rumored specs say that it only has 4 gigs of RAM, probably at least a chunk taken up by the OS too.

LordKano

I mean, I absolutely hope it's a pretty beefy system. But even the rumored specs say that it only has 4 gigs of RAM, probably at least a chunk taken up by the OS too.

Amount of RAM doesn't equal to raw power. There's more to processing power than just that.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

RAM isn't everything, infact depending on the game it can be the least important component. With Switch Nintendo will have a massive tech leap over WiiU in terms of the CPU and probably a 4x leap over WiiU in terms of GPU flops (esp when docked) with the benefit of now supporting all the latest engines.

In short, the WiiU is not impressive and can be easily beaten by a fan cooled tablet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Thing is, ram won't really be an issue, it's not at the Xbox One's level, so it'll probably render at lower resolutions, have lower res textures and run less intensive shader effects etc. RAM usage just won't be as high purely because the rest of the system won't need to use as much.

Rodin

The Zelda pic? Definitely not a bullshot. We saw this scene in several videos and Xenoblade Chronicles X has even more detailed sceneries on WiiU.

I'm not talking about details. It's a 4K screen.

(Zelda still looks a lot better than X, just look at the DF video i posted in the other thread)

MuchoMalo

Banned

Rumor is 3.2GB for games (more than 3x what Wii U has for games). Also keep in mind that leaked dev kit specs thread is fake but happens to be in the right ballpark.

What a lot of people here don't understand is that raw power doesn't affect the kinds of graphical effects that hardware can put out; it only affects how much it can do at once. The graphical featureset of Wii U is basically that of 2008 hardware, while NX's is that of either 2014 or 2016 hardware; in other words, it's capable of everything that current consoles and PCs are and more, but at much lower resolutions and with much less of it on-screen. This is why I've been trying to tell you guys that it's more accurate to call Switch a super-weak current-gen system than a beefed-up Wii U. The games will look more like heavily downgraded Xbone games than beefed-up Wii U games. This isn't another GameCube -> Wii transition.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Some of the posts in this thread as so sad, on many levels..

On a different note, congrats to the devs - I'll be looking forward to that game.

EDarkness

The games will look more like heavily downgraded Xbone games than beefed-up Wii U games. This isn't another GameCube -> Wii transition.

Looking at the screens, the game doesn't look like a heavily downgraded XBox One game. Of course, seeing it in action will tell us a lot, but it doesn't look far off from some of the games that have been released on the two current systems.

Oblivion

RAM isn't everything, infact depending on the game it can be the least important component. With Switch Nintendo will have a massive tech leap over WiiU in terms of the CPU and probably a 4x leap over WiiU in terms of GPU flops (esp when docked) with the benefit of now supporting all the latest engines.

In short, the WiiU is not impressive and can be easily beaten by a fan cooled tablet.

Thing is, ram won't really be an issue, it's not at the Xbox One's level, so it'll probably render at lower resolutions, have lower res textures and run less intensive shader effects etc. RAM usage just won't be as high purely because the rest of the system won't need to use as much.

Switch is, even in the most pessimistic scenarios, several times more powerful than Wii U.

Rumor is 3.2GB for games (more than 3x what Wii U has for games). Also keep in mind that leaked dev kit specs thread is fake but happens to be in the right ballpark.

What a lot of people here don't understand is that raw power doesn't affect the kinds of graphical effects that hardware can put out; it only affects how much it can do at once. The graphical featureset of Wii U is basically that of 2008 hardware, while NX's is that of either 2014 or 2016 hardware; in other words, it's capable of everything that current consoles and PCs are and more, but at much lower resolutions and with much less of it on-screen. This is why I've been trying to tell you guys that it's more accurate to call Switch a super-weak current-gen system than a beefed-up Wii U. The games will look more like heavily downgraded Xbone games than beefed-up Wii U games. This isn't another GameCube -> Wii transition.

Huh. I didn't realize the Switch was supposed to be that much more powerful than the Wii-U. I was totally thinking it was another GC > Wii level jump.

I was also surprised cause we all saw the new Mario game and while it looks pretty nice, I don't know if it was that much of a leap beyond SM3DW.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Looking at the screens, the game doesn't look like a heavily downgraded XBox One game. Of course, seeing it in action will tell us a lot, but it doesn't look far off from some of the games that have been released on the two current systems.

The IQ is terrible, though. Optimized properly, a game like that could easily run at 1080p; these screens are sub-720p.

Some of the posts in this thread as so sad, on many levels..

On a different note, congrats to the devs - I'll be looking forward to that game.

You shouldn't be shocked. I mean, there are still people doubting that it can match Wii U, so see this would obviously cause some skepticism.

EDarkness

Huh. I didn't realize the Switch was supposed to be that much more powerful than the Wii-U. I was totally thinking it was another GC > Wii level jump.

I was also surprised cause we all saw the new Mario game and while it looks pretty nice, I don't know if it was that much of a leap beyond SM3DW.

Honestly, with the artstyle of Mario games, I don't think you'll notice that big of a leap at this stage. It's going to be games like Metroid, whatever Monolithsoft is doing, and the like that will really show off the power jump. Hopefully this game will show it off, too.

The IQ is terrible, though. Optimized properly, a game like that could easily run at 1080p; these screens are sub-720p.

Well, we haven't gotten any confirmation from the devs about anything really related to this game. We also don't know when the game is going to be released, so there could be plenty of time for them to fix whatever they need to. We really haven't seen anything about this game so far, though. Don't know how these screens were captured, either. My guess is they're from the trailer that Laura supposedly has instead of in game screen grabs. The original blurry screens we had were from a supposed trailer.

Color me interested. The premise is certainly uh...unique.

the amount of ppl shiting on this thread and trying to derail it is sad even for NeoGAF levels...

If you think people are showing their asses for indies, just wait until we get confirmation of high profile third party games. They don't even have to be exclusive, you can just peek at the Dark Souls III rumor thread and witness the amount of hurt feelings at the audacity that From would even consider supporting the Switch in any capacity.

January and beyond is going to be fun times. Not so much for the mods though.

Color me interested. The premise is certainly uh...unique.

If you think people are showing their asses for indies, just wait until we get confirmation of high profile third party games. They don't even have to be exclusive, you can just peek at the Dark Souls III rumor thread and witness the amount of hurt feelings at the audacity that From would even consider supporting the Switch in any capacity.

January and beyond is going to be fun times. Not so much for the mods though.

It's just sad. It'll be Bayo 2 craziness if Nintendo gets certain games because "they're not allowed to if my favorite platform doesn't get it" or it's "the devs would never support kiddy and weak Nintendo! Hahah".

wildfire

Banned
I'm getting some serious 'Sadness', from Nibris, flashbacks with announcements like this.

Sadness vibes? Nibris could only provide drawings on a napkin. Atleast we have a very polished alpha if you want to set your expectations ludicrously low.

wildfire

Banned
I know that. But the Switch is not supposed to be that big a step up from Wii-U.

So much ignorance. You never stepped into a Tegra thread? You should change your avatar until you educate yourself on the minimum it can achieve which is way better than the Wii U.

Oblivion

So much ignorance. You never stepped into a Tegra thread?

I have, actually. The first thread where the announcement was made in fact. And I remember reading the general consensus at the time being not to expect the Switch to be that powerful based in part by the fact that it had to double as a handheld, which by itself would constrain its capabilities.

Now, there have clearly been updates that I've missed since then, so I'll admit, I'm a bit out of the loop.

Wii U has 1gb for Games, Switch is rumoured to have 3+ for games. PS4 has 5gb for games. If Switch ends up being in the middle between Wii U and Xbone specs plus has modern hardware and software, the screens are looking like what i would expect from the system.

Oblivion

Wii U has 1gb for Games, Switch is rumoured to have 3+ for games. PS4 has 5gb for games. If Switch ends up being in the middle between Wii U and Xbone specs plus has modern hardware and software, the screens are looking like what i would expect from the system.

Wait, PS4 has only 5 gigs dedicated to games? :O I knew the Xbone did, but not the PS4.

I have, actually. The first thread where the announcement was made in fact. And I remember reading the general consensus at the time being not to expect the Switch to be that powerful based in part by the fact that it had to double as a handheld, which by itself would constrain its capabilities.

Now, there have clearly been updates that I've missed since then, so I'll admit, I'm a bit out of the loop.

The general (reasonable) consensus since July/August, which is when NateDrake told us it was using Pascal architecture, has been 512-768Gflops as the maximum for GPU performance (aka docked mode), which is ~3-5x more powerful than the Wii U's GPU.

The CPU is wildly better, but I don't know how to put a number on that. Since Spring, we've been told that the Switch CPU is noticeably more powerful than the XB1's (which is clocked a bit higher than the PS4's) so that puts it far, far ahead of Wii U's awful CPU.

And we have 4GB of RAM rumored, with 3.2 reserved for games (rumored too) which is 3x better than Wii U.

Then you have the improvements gained with modern architecture and modern software and development tools, so I'd say at the very worst the Switch is overall 5x more powerful than the Wii U.

The general (reasonable) consensus since July/August, which is when NateDrake told us it was using Pascal architecture, has been 512-768Gflops as the maximum for GPU performance (aka docked mode), which is ~3-5x more powerful than the Wii U's GPU.

The CPU is wildly better, but I don't know how to put a number on that. Since Spring, we've been told that the Switch CPU is noticeably more powerful than the XB1's (which is clocked a bit higher than the PS4's) so that puts it far, far ahead of Wii U's awful CPU.

And we have 4GB of RAM rumored, with 3.2 reserved for games (rumored too) which is 3x better than Wii U.

Then you have the improvements gained with modern architecture and modern software and development tools, so I'd say at the very worst the Switch is overall 5x more powerful than the Wii U.
5x more powerful would be around 700 GFLOPs, and you're saying that's the worst case scenario?

5x more powerful would be around 700 GFLOPs, and you're saying that's the worst case scenario?

Nate said it's 3-4 times Wii U gflops (with Wii U considered 176gflops or something like that). But if you consider the more efficient hardware and better software etc. it would be even better in reality. On the paper it probably won't be 5xWiiU gflops. 700gflops is possible but would be near the very best case scenario.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Do the specs for the switch even really matter? The point is that its a completely different situation than Wii U was for PS4 and XB1

Instead of being skipped over entirely, it now has the chance to run current gen games if publishers feel they can invest into it properly.

This will especially help in Japan to push higher tier games for multiplats. Once 3DS dies, devs will have no choice but to scale up their engines for higher tier hardware in switch and PS4, and thus the resurgence of core gaming in japan begins >:)

lol let me dream

BuggyMike

These don't look like native screenshots straight from the game, they look really compressed. If that's the case, we probably can't judge the resolution or things like AA or draw distance from these screenshots, can we?

Every bit of Switch footage has been off-screen footage and now we get this lol. Still happy to be getting so much damn Switch stuff before Jan12. This looks gorgeous, love atmospheric games like this one seems to be. Switch seems like a perfect fit for games like Vanishing of Ethan Carter or Soma.

scaffa

Sadness vibes? Nibris could only provide drawings on a napkin. Atleast we have a very polished alpha if you want to set your expectations ludicrously low.

I hope that it's going to be a good game. My Sadness comment was also aimed at the dev announcing something for a new product without actually having anything real to show or any previous work that showcases what the studio is capable of. And they were talking up the game with all kinds of stuff what you could do in the game. I just don't understand announcements like this, they are quite meaningless.

Sure the screens look nice and it's a decent looking environment. But that is nothing to crazy and doesn't tell us enough about the actual quality of the game itself.

And it being an exclusive doesn't mean anything right now. I could even announce an exclusive Switch title right now if I wanted to.

It's cool to be hyped about the game, for one the premise sounds alright, but just like you said, we should set our expectations ludicrously low.

I hope that it's going to be a good game. My Sadness comment was also aimed at the dev announcing something for a new product without actually having anything real to show or any previous work that showcases what the studio is capable of. And they were talking up the game with all kinds of stuff what you could do in the game. I just don't understand announcements like this, they are quite meaningless.

Sure the screens look nice and it's a decent looking environment. But that is nothing to crazy and doesn't tell us enough about the actual quality of the game itself.

And it being an exclusive doesn't mean anything right now. I could even announce an exclusive Switch title right now if I wanted to.

It's cool to be hyped about the game, for one the premise sounds alright, but just like you said, we should set our expectations ludicrously low.

But they've already said they're going to have an interview and a trailer up for next week.

An indie studio trying to get a little piece of the Switch mindshare is not wrong or a bad thing. Business are business, they need to get consumers interested and for that they need them to notice them.

MUnited83

For you.
So they got the invitation being vaporware unrecognized dev? ;p
Nintendo is actually being very generous with their invites, actually. I know someone on this forum got invited out of the blue and that had no intention of porting his games to Switch in the near future.

Top Bottom