• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GamerGate thread 2: it's about feminism in games journalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I've stayed out of this thing since it started but I keep hearing the gamer gate term thrown around. Where can I find a good summary of what it is? I don't see anything in the OP

edit: nevermind I'm dumb, there is a brief explanation in the OP. Would still like a bit more info though.

Ok I've stayed out of this thing since it started but I keep hearing the gamer gate term thrown around. Where can I find a good summary of what it is? I don't see anything in the OP

edit: nevermind I'm dumb, there is a brief explanation in the OP. Would still like a bit more info though.

There's honestly not much more to it. It's a bunch of misogynists and extremely gullible people attacking women in gaming and their families because #ethicsingamejournalism

jstripes

Banned

It's about ethics in games jour...

Oh my god, I can feel the insanity flowing into me.

Brianna Wu sure knows how to insert herself into an horrible unrelated situation and make it about herself.

EDIT: oh, Quinn did the same thing too. Not surprising.

lKbVhEl.gif

TedNindo

Which version? None are complete or objective. If you want to be entertained read the pro version. Which is pretty hilarious if you`re into tinfoil stuff.

I like grabbing some popcorn myself while i watch the whole ordeal from a distance while both sides fail horribly at getting their points across and look worse every day. It`s like some kind of cartoon version of American politics.

RMI

Banned
Brianna Wu sure knows how to insert herself into an horrible unrelated situation and make it about herself.

EDIT: oh, Quinn did the same thing too. Not surprising.

yeah, weird how people just insert themselves into insane internet harassment campaigns, apropos of nothing, and then make it all about how they're getting harassed. How weird. How utterly weird.

is this real life?

JC Sera

just woke up
read the TB bullshit
the 4chan murder
like seriously
wtf

On a positive note Boogie and Zoe talked civically and amicably
on a negative note it was about their shared harassment

Which version? None are complete or objective. If you want to be entertained read the pro version. Which is pretty hilarious if you`re into tinfoil stuff.

I like grabbing some popcorn myself while i watch the whole ordeal from a distance while both sides fail horribly at getting their points across and look worse every day. It`s like some kind of cartoon version of American politics.

I'm surprised you can see both 'sides' from so high on your horse there, care to provide the 'objective' commentary you find so lacking?

Dimefan3

I've been staying out of it as much as I can as well, however after reading a fair few articles on the attacks on Brianna Wu, Anita, and Quinn, I've come to think of it as a bunch of frigid guys who are deeply terrified of women.

just woke up
read the TB bullshit
the 4chan murder
like seriously
wtf

thread moving too fast for me, 4chan murder?

EDIT: Oh.... shit.

L Thammy

I haven't seen the Direct yet, you spoiled it for me. :|
That said, I do really want to pick up Gone Home after all of this.

EDIT: You're going to have update me on the 4chan murder as well.

Van Owen

Banned
yeah, weird how people just insert themselves into insane internet harassment campaigns, apropos of nothing, and then make it all about how they're getting harassed. How weird. How utterly weird.

is this real life?

The Woman killed was part of a harassment campaign?

Orayn

He's probably referring to how Brianna Wu And Zoe Quinn already jump on the 4chan murder to make it about them.

Yeah, I don't get how women who've experience numerous violent threats from *chan sites recently would have anything to say about a woman being murdered by someone who posted about it on 4chan. Totally just looking for attention!

sedaku

I haven't seen the Direct yet, you spoiled it for me. :|
That said, I do really want to pick up Gone Home after all of this.

EDIT: You're going to have update me on the 4chan murder as well.

There's a woman murdered in Port Orchard, Washington. The killer (seem to be some sort of ex-boyfriend) post the image of the crime scene on 4chan before the Cop get there.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ashington-slaying-scene-investigators-n241806

It's on going.

Van Owen

Banned
Yeah, I don't get how women who've experience numerous violent threats from *chan sites recently would have anything to say about a woman being murdered by someone who posted about it on 4chan. Totally just looking for attention!

How many million people are on 4chan? Someone did the same thing on Facebook and no one made a stink.

TedNindo

I'm surprised you can see both 'sides' from so high on your horse there, care to provide the 'objective' commentary you find so lacking?

Look there are points of views that lack at any single source. You can`t understand what is going on by following it from one side. Because one side is oblivious of the other on many subjects because they are blinded by emotion/investment. Both sides btw. I`ve tried to follow all points of view up until now. And i`m not picking any lesser evils here. Both extremes of either side are absurd.
It`s part of the distancing I learned in film school from analysing documentary filmmaking.

I`m not claiming to be better than anyone taking a side. I just enjoy observing from a distance without becoming personally involved or invested.

I hope this came across as I wanted it to. Because English isn`t my native language.

Women get sent death threats along with ppl revealing their home addresses from people who post on 4chan & similar sites for months. Women get told that these are just trolls and that they should have a thicker skin and just ignore it and stop talking about it, there's nothing to be legitimately scared of. Person who posts on 4chan literally kills a woman & posts about it there. Women express that their fear is justified and that this is a serious issue. Women get blamed for "making it about them."

Damn.

Gator slurpers aren't even making this challenging anymore

C'mon fellas

Look there are points of views that lack at any single source. You can`t understand what is going on by following it from one side. Because one side is oblivious of the other on many subjects because they are blinded by emotion/investment. Both sides btw. I`ve tried to follow all points of view up until now. And i`m not picking any lesser evils here. Both extremes of either side are absurd.
It`s part of the distancing I learned in film school from analysing documentary filmmaking.

I`m not claiming to be better than anyone taking a side. I just enjoy observing from a distance without becoming personally involved or invested.

I hope this came across as I wanted it to. Because English isn`t my native language.

What enjoyment could possibly be gotten from all this

Orayn

Who says people aren't attempting to understand the other side? This thread has plenty of attempts to dissect the Gator philosophy, we just didn't come to the conclusion that they're reasonable people with valid points.

Van Owen

Banned
Women get sent death threats along with ppl revealing their home addresses from people who post on 4chan & similar sites for months. Women get told that these are just trolls and that they should have a thicker skin and just ignore it and stop talking about it, there's nothing to be legitimately scared of. Person who posts on 4chan literally kills a woman & posts about it there. Women express that their fear is justified and that this is a serious issue. Women get blamed for "making it about them."

Damn.

Was this guy making threats before he killed the woman? Was it a personal relationship the two had since he apparently new her schedule as well as her son's?

Orayn

"Threats are fake or just harmless kids trolling! Nobody on one of these sites would actually do something violent!"

Murder occurs.

"Well you're not dead! Stop trying to make this about you."

King of Pol just officially backed out of supporting GamerGate. He said that he received abused from both sides, but there was a lot more from the GamerGaters than Anti.

http://twishort.com/DONgc

I have recieved a HUGE AMOUNT of harassment from both sides but the most harassment Inhave recieved comes from #GamerGate itself, not really anti-GG surprisingly.

The best email I got was from someone who has around 10k follpwers on twitter who many of you know as a big #GamerGate person. They sent me death threats to phone calls, tried to trick me to drive to them for a "chat" even went so far as to claim I was a rapist and child molestor. Tgese thing happened mainly from #GamerGate but sadly, I said "Nah, fuck it Itll stop my actions will justicty my means always!".

just woke up
read the TB bullshit
the 4chan murder
like seriously
wtf

Wait what? Did some insane person actually kill someone over this bullshit?

L Thammy

Whether or not it's related it just shows how ridiculous the claims that these harassed are making to big of an issue about these death threats.

I suppose, but it's absolutely pathetic that people need that to see how terrible threats can be. Like, do you live your life that way? I'm not going to close my door because no one's burglarizing me yet. I'm not going to slow down because I haven't crashed yet. I'm not going to eat because I'm not starving yet. What the fuck is wrong with these people. (Rhetorical question, by the way. Selfishness combined with total lack of empathy is what's wrong.)

Van Owen

Banned
No one is saying death threats aren't serious, but inserting yourself into some tragic situation because it has something to do with 4chan is ridiculous.

There's a ton of people capable of killing anywhere on the Internet.

Corpekata

Banned
King of Pol just officially backed out of supporting GamerGate. He said that he received abused from both sides, but there was a lot more from the GamerGaters than Anti.

http://twishort.com/DONgc

Seems like a win win really. One less toxic asshole to deal with in general and Gamergate gets to clean up its' image a little bit.

KotakuinAction seems like they're starting to turn on theRalphRetort too. If they had not fawned over these guys for 2 months the movement might've had something legitimate to say.

L Thammy

No one is saying death threats aren't serious, but inserting yourself into some tragic situation because it has something to do with 4chan is ridiculous.

Have you read about the whole Zoe Quinn situation? If so, think really hard about - for a few minutes, maybe - then read that news report again.

meijiko

Zoe made a comment about this situation and its relation to her real fear of death threats. On her personal twitter.

She's not "inserting" herself, she's commenting on something that affects her emotionally.

zeldablue

This all seems extremely related. A lot of women in recent news have been murdered after explicit warnings posted online. It's all about taking things more seriously. Nothing more.

jstripes

Banned

People have literally been saying that for like 3 months now.

JDSN

Banned
I want to give him/her more credit than that. Commenting on a current event is not making something about them. It's talking. People get to talk.

Its probably not the kind of conversation that user likes to have, womens that are getting treats of violence commenting on violence against women=attention whores, demonizing dead black people at every unrelated situation, now thats a talk worth having!

Didnt a gaffer commit murder and then suicide? Madness can be found anywhere. Making the point that anonymous death threats have weight would need a double check on this guy to see if he ever used any death threats. Objectively speaking ofc

KingOfPol said:
With that said I will address this now, I normally would never say it but it needs to be said now. I have recieved a HUGE AMOUNT of harassment from both sides but the most harassment Inhave recieved comes from #GamerGate itself, not really anti-GG surprisingly.

I for one am not surprised in the least that the group that's made harassment their bread and butter harasses their own more than those that oppose harassment.

They are being told that these threats aren't credible, they are making too much of this, they are drama queens. Are you so completely lacking in empathy not to see why an event like this may inspire a statement from these women?

Now the threat is so credible because there are tons of people capable of killing online that calling out 4chan in this situation is out of line. My brain cannot make sense of this line of thinking.

One of the dismissive arguments frequently made about the threats to Brianna Wu, Anita Sarkeesian and too many others is that they aren't credible or worthy of notice because they are made in public forums online. This is patently ridiculous as there have been several notable instances of murderers who have published threats or violent manifestos online prior to their actual killings. This appears to be the latest instance of that once again highlighting that just because someone said it on the internet does not mean it can be dismissed as 'for the lulz' or noise.

One of the dismissive arguments frequently made about the threats to Brianna Wu, Anita Sarkeesian and too many others is that they aren't credible or worthy of notice because they are made in public forums online. This is patently ridiculous as there have been several notable instances of murderers who have published threats or violent manifestos online prior to their actual killings. This appears to be the latest instance of that once again highlighting that just because someone said it on the internet does not mean it can be dismissed as 'for the lulz' or noise.

Did the guy post threats/murder intentions prior to the act?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom