• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers will see a difference on Day One

BigDug13

Developers want their games to get good reviews. If Sony's first party studios are making their games look incredible, then reviewers will start to have a level of expectation on that console. Third party developers simply "phoning it in" on the PS4 version may end up with lower reviews. Plus first party titles will compete with third party titles on the same console if they're the same genre. Similarly, two different third party developers making similar games on the same platform, Battlefield against Call of Duty for example, then won't they both try their best just in case the other guys are as well?

LCfiner

This is the exact same thing we heard before with 360 and PS3 and that simply wasn't the case. Most PS3 games ran worse than their 360 counterpart and some still do.

Huh? We never heard this about the ps3. Even early on it was clear that the ps3 would be much tougher to code for with the asymmetric cell and split ram.

This is clearly not the case this generation. Both consoles are x86 and relatively similar in architecture. It'll be easy to tap into the ps4's extra power for visuals.

My only concern for the generation is if the Xbone remains popular and the smaller available ram pool means world sizes for games are smaller across both consoles as they target the Lowest common denominator.

Hoping that doesn't happen.

i dunno about 40% (how do you even estimate these things?), but if not at launch, i'd expect it not too long after. the sony exclusives in particular stand to look a great deal better, from what we're reading.

also cotdamn @ that first reply

Essentially with the whole "PS4 can push 1.8 tflops on information, XB1 can push 1.2" plus rumours of underclocking the XB1, then adjusting for developer trial and error, it isn't hard to arrive at a 40% differential.

That said, I doubt too many games will see a difference. They'll probably develop on XB1 then port to PS4 quick since they're essentially the same architecture.

The departure between this and the last generation though is that because PS3 was so different from the innards of the 360, any extra time spent on the PS3 version was usually spent simply porting the software. Any extra time spent on PS4 games, however, can be spent making it look better, perform better, or other possible et ceterae.

I bet you anything Microsoft will fight tooth and nail to make sure PS4 versions of games they have money invested in like COD, Witcher, Pretty much every EA game, etc will look identical on both platforms even if it means gimping the ps4 version by locking its framerate or limiting its resolution to sub 1080p if the X1 version has to run at sub 1080.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I bet you anything Microsoft will fight tooth and nail to make sure PS4 versions of games they have money invested in like COD, Witcher, Pretty much every EA game, etc will look identical on both platforms even if it means gimping the ps4 version by locking its framerate or limiting its resolution to sub 1080p if the X1 version has to run at sub 1080.

paris_tuileries_garde0lxbj.jpg

not targeting specifically you but I really wish people would stop with thinking that MS is this all powerfull Mafia don that rules over the gameindustry and dictates what everyone can or can't do .

Its beyond silly.

Thorgal

And... you expect Sony to quietly let that happen and everyone obey's Don Micro ?

Look at post above.

Superior multiplats have been happening in every gen. It won't stop now

sn00zer

Comparison vids are going to be boring.....

but I would not be surprised in the least if Microsoft pays certain devs to ensure both versions are similar if not exactly the same

CLEEK

Serious question: have any studios confirmed whether their Xbone games were

a) running on Xbone dev kits.
b) in-game, not in-engine (nor outright CG renders, like Sunset Overdrive).

From what I saw of E3, there was little in the way to distinguish one console's technical power from the other.

an yet we have multiplat games like FF13 that clearly shows the xbox 360 to be run worse then the PS3 version

The same recently happened with metro last light

MS did nothing.

one other thing to considder /

IF the PS4 version of COD is vissualy better then the X1 Do you really expect MS to say :You cannot release this game on our console?

MS might as well shoot themselves through the head if they do that.

When they talk about not allowing games of lower quality, they're not talking about visual fidelity (otherwise no PC game would be on 360). They're talking about feature and content parity. I know downloadable games that release after another platform need to have additional content. But they can't control how they look on other platforms.

Thorgal

When they talk about not allowing games of lower quality, they're not talking about visual fidelity (otherwise no PC game would be on 360). They're talking about feature and content parity. I know downloadable games that release after another platform need to have additional content. But they can't control how they look on other platforms.
Yet that is exactly what people here thinks MS can dictate.

KaYotiX

Banned
Difference wont be noticeable, just like this gen with most multi-plats. They will port over the Xbox One code to PS4 and call it a day.

BigDug13

Difference wont be noticeable, just like this gen with most multi-plats. They will port over the Xbox One code to PS4 and call it a day.

Right. Keep thinking that. Maybe developers who are dead inside and no longer have any sort of desire to push the envelope.

And this gen multiplats WERE noticeable quite often, with the 360 almost always the better looking version.

Xbox games looked better than PS2 versions almost everytime as well.

DBT85

It reassures me that some people, even after everything that we have seen and heard in the last few months, are still hitching their cart to the "but Microsoft won't let" bandwagon.

Alpende

We'll see. I kind of doubt it to see a huge difference on day one. Maybe we'll see a big difference in the next couple of months or years.

Why is the MS mafia so powerful that they can dictate to developers to gimp other consoles' versions of games? If any company has had a grip on the industry it was Sony with the PS2 and look how that worked for them with early PS3 multiplatforms (or even PS2/Xbox/GC games as BigDug reminded me).

Developers would have to actively try to make both versions equal, especially when PC versions exist.

Megatron

Serious question: have any studios confirmed whether their Xbone games were

a) running on Xbone dev kits.
b) in-game, not in-engine (nor outright CG renders, like Sunset Overdrive).

From what I saw of E3, there was little in the way to distinguish one console's technical power from the other.
None have, to my knowledge. Only pcs are known to have been running 360 games. Remember the kill zone 2 tech demo? Don't believe trailers.

I'd love to take your money with this bet. How do ideas like this keep coming up, let alone get people to "bet" on them?

And they will still sell less than MS 1st party games.

Right now there's no reason to believe that their will be console sales equity to even make this possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So activision is going to gimp their CoD games on PS4, leaving the door open for Battlefield or other games to look noticably better and have more people buy them? No way.

You might be able to buy out one publisher or one title, but not all of them. And competition between publishers will prevent them intentionally gimping things.

Day one we might see some differences, but it'll be a lot of cross generational stuff, and PC engines ported across. They won't stretch their legs for a couple of years. I'm interested in further down the line, when we get to the stage where the consoles start to struggle like they are now, as PCs push ahead and they can't keep up. PS4 should have much better legs in that case, and that could really see Xbox struggling technically

I'm willing to think that most third pary games will look similar with PS4 versions being surperior much like how for many years 360 multiplats looked way better than PS3 versions, but CDProjekt does not give a fuck about Microsoft. They will make their money back and more on the PC version of Witcher 3. The console versions will be icing on the cake. They own GOG. Plus Eastern Europe devs have this facination with pushing hardware to the limits. Witcher 3 will look good on both consoles. I half expect that you'll need a Titan card to get all the bells and whistles out of the PC version.

What's really going to matter is a few years down the road when CyberPunk comes out. If it's multiplat, then that is going to be a fucking brutal DF comparison between Xbox One and PS4 I expect.

Watch_Dogs and Battlefield 4 will be the ones to watch.
The next COD just looks bad period.
This. It'll most likely be 1080p/60 on the bone due to assets and effects being current gen level. Therefore there isn't much room for improvement on a PS4 version.

Lunar15

First post magic strikes again.

Also, I'm actually pretty shocked about what I've heard from E3 impressions. I expected differences, but not to the extent that was reported. I didn't expect developers to optimize that differently.

can someone who knows what they are talking about explain all possibilities the power that "the cloud"

could bring to the table. its insane to see microsoft believers claiming in years to come their console is going to grow from being 1/2 to four times more powerful. where do the believers come up with stuff like this?

can someone who knows what they are talking about explain all possibilities the power that "the cloud"

could bring to the table. its insane to see microsoft believers claiming in years to come their console is going to grow from being 1/2 to four times more powerful. where do the believers come up with stuff like this?

i cant seem to find one so if a senior gaffer can make a thread to discuss the potential of the cloud it would be swell

should any of us expect great things from this synergy esque corporate buzzword?

Top Bottom