• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers will see a difference on Day One

quantumbreakhnuvd.jpg

they are nice don't get me wrong

but from what i can see the old man is still ahead .

on a funny note. some people on youtube noticed this also in the video and once seen can never be unseen

its quite creepy and hillarious.

naamloososu40.png

Why the creepy laugh?

Quantum break looks really good nobody is denying that, but didn't it run on a titan?

sneaky77

I think if any differences begin to show it will be after a year and devs have plenty time with the final hardware. Launch titles are always rushed.

OryoN

Based on actual hands-on footage, both of these consoles fell way short of their overblown hype, if you ask me. As far as launch games go, I haven't yet seen any reason why XBO's games should lag behind PS4's even in the slightest way. Although, it may all come down to who has the most mature development tools at the moment. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Quantum break looks really good nobody is denying that, but didn't it run on a titan?

I don't know of any such evidence. But Quantum Break should look better than most stuff, because it was a small enclosed environment with just a few characters. Just the same way I easily believe that Deep Down is running in real time (although possibly on a PC) I believe Quantum Break is running in real time. Definitely the most impressive Xbox One thing we've seen.

And definitely less impressive than the Dark Sorceror demo, which was running on PS4.

It's like wanting to know the outcome of World War 2.
yep. only if the laziest developer ever ports something will the PS4 version be no better to the Xbone version. and that's the worst case scenario. parity.

Unless its 1080p vs 720p or 30 vs 60 the difference will be negligible.

It very well will be for some games. The difference in gpu power and especially the amount of ram available to developers is pretty significant. And not in the same way as the PS3 where Sony had such a convoluted system architecture. If the rumors (are they even rumors anymore) that the Xbox 1 reserves 3gb's of system memory for system function are true, then the PS4 literally has 40% more ram available to developers.

After seeing all the confirmations of 1080p, I suspect one way devs will handle the inferior X1 hardware will be to make games run in 720p upscaled to 1080p, while the PS4 will rock native 1080p. The Digital Foundry article will definitely be delicious.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Can't wait for DF face-offs

Seriously, I'll want to buy Ghosts but only if DF analysis shows the PS4 version is significantly and categorically superior in every single aspect.

If the DF analysis proves that the PlayStation version is still inferior, then... lol at Infinity Ward.

Based on actual hands-on footage, both of these consoles fell way short of their overblown hype, if you ask me. As far as launch games go, I haven't yet seen any reason why XBO's games should lag behind PS4's even in the slightest way. Although, it may all come down to who has the most mature development tools at the moment. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
According to Avalanche PS4 tools are much more mature than the Xbone tools.

What also ends up happening is that even if a multiplatform game looks slightly better on PS4, the concept gets popularized online. You end up getting buzz-phrases like "this version is better" - and even if the difference is small, nobody wants the "inferior" version. So more people opt to get the PS4 version, more of your friends then are on the PS4 version, which encourages future adopters to purchase PS4. It really has a domino effect, and it all started because of a few websites doing comparisons in which they said "the textures are slightly better."

It - in my eyes - was one of the biggest reasons why the 360 had the edge. There even came to a point where I would just assume the 360 version was better looking for multiplatform games without even bother to check the comparisons.

5amshift

Banned
This is good to hear and what I somewhat imagined would happen. Kind of skeptic to see what 3rd party publishers will do to down play their game on a certain platform out of spite.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hopefully sales go like we're all hoping they do, and PS4 grows a big lead.

I want to see PS4 as lead platform for multiplats.

from all the demos using PS4 at E3, it might already be (well probably a PC but at least from a console perspective)

Same applies to pc versions.

Seeing as a high end pc is 3x 4x times more powerful we better see an improvement in graphical quality that is 300 to 400 percent.

Durante

The PS4 is 40% more powerful 100% of the time . In what cases would the 360 version win?
Well, XB1 could win if a game uses an algorithm (and uses it extensively!) designed to take full advantage of a small low-latency memory pool shared between CPU and GPU.

Of course, that's really unlikely in the first place, and would be bad engineering for a multiplatform title.

kitch9

Banned
Well, XB1 could win if a game uses an algorithm (and uses it extensively!) designed to take full advantage of a small low-latency memory pool shared between CPU and GPU.

Of course, that's really unlikely in the first place, and would be bad engineering for a multiplatform title.

That's a bit of a stretch isn't it?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I think it's very unlikely that CoD will look significantly better on PS4. MS will make sure this doesn't happen.

There is nothing MS can do to decide what Activision, the biggest games publisher, deals with its biggest franchise.

kitch9

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if microsoft paid developers to make the game equal on both platforms.

the shit the developers would get for it would not be worth any amount of money.

They are are a proud bunch and wouldn't want the massive negative press they would get.

There is nothing MS can do to decide what Activision, the biggest games publisher, deals with its biggest franchise.
It's in Activision's interest that they maintain visual parity. It would be a bad for sales to have one significantly better than the other, particularly as CoD is more popular on Xbox.

sublimit

Banned
I don't think third party developers will dare to make their multiplatform games look worse on XBone than PS4.

We have to wait for first party studios to see the differences between XBone's and PS4's power but then again Sony doesn't have any studio which is as big (in terms of workforce) as Ubisoft's,EA's or Activision's studios.Therefore the quality will be more or less same all over.

SiRatul

The game looks great but somethings are bothering me though. I don't know if I'm the only one but her hair looks weird in this shot. And the bokeh quality doesn't look next gen at all.

Anyway I'm sure sooner or later we'll see a very noticeable difference just cause the hardware on both consoles are way more accessible than last gen and especially with rumors indicating the PS4 being easier to code for.

Espada

Unsurprising, though looking at the specs the difference between the two is closer to 50-60%.

It'll be interesting to see what multiplatform developers do. They could half-ass their titles and wind up looking like garbage compared to 1st party offerings or third party exclusives.

LCfiner

It's in Activision's interest that they maintain visual parity. It would be a bad for sales to have one significantly better than the other, particularly as CoD is more popular on Xbox.

It's in Activision's interest to be competitive with other games on the same platform. If they purposefully hold back on one platform where it might have easily looked better, they are only hurting themselves.

Multiplatform games are goi to be interesting to see these first months of the consoles. Either there will be a constant leadto the PS4 or things will even out as developers learn the different tricks that each platform allows for.

My biggest question is where PC ports will fall in all of this, how well they will be optimized and how much power will be needed to match, or surpass, the console versions.

Ding-Ding

What?

Do you really think Activision care if they shift 6 million on PS4 and 4 million on Xbox One or 5 million on each.

No, they just care they sold 10 million. If the extra power in PS4 helps close the visual disparity to BF4, you can bet your arse they will use it (especially if they think DICE will take advantage of the PS4).

Thorgal

I don't think third party developers will dare to make their multiplatform games look worse on XBone than PS4.

We have to wait for first party studios to see the differences between XBone's and PS4's power but then again Sony doesn't have any studio which is as big (in terms of workforce) as Ubisoft's,EA's or Activision's studios.Therefore the quality will be more or less same all over.

paris_tuileries_garde0lxbj.jpg

not targeting specifically you but I really wish people would stop with thinking that MS is this all powerfull Mafia don that rules over the gameindustry and dictates what everyone can or can't do .

Its beyond silly.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The idea that 3rd party developers will intentionally gimp the PS4 version is total nonsense. Ignoring the fact that these people are professionals and take pride in their work, it's rather apparent that PC will be the lead platform for most of these games, not Xbox One.

not targeting specifically you but I really wish people would stop with thinking that MS is this all powerfull Mafia don that rules over the gameindustry and dictates what everyone can or can't do .

Its beyond silly.

Ding-Ding

The idea that 3rd party developers will intentionally gimp the PS4 version is total nonsense. Ignoring the fact that these people are professionals and take pride in their work, it's rather apparent that PC will be the lead platform for most of these games, not Xbox One.

You have to remeber the people thinking that 3rd parties will gimp PS4 versions, are the same people who believed in 'special sauce'

ZiggyRoXx

Banned
If you cannot see the difference for yourself and you need DF to point it out to you, does it really matter?

lol..it's like being a PC gamer, can you see the difference between 'Very High' or 'Ultra' detail pre-sets?, 90% of the time you can't, but you just HAVE to push that slider to the max setting, to get that feeling of not missing out on anything and all being well in the world..:))

You have to remeber the people thinking that 3rd parties will gimp PS4 versions, are the same people who believed in 'special sauce'

The same people thought Sony would copy Microsoft on DRM. Basically they thought Sony is a bunch of copy cats with no spine. They even thought the Xbone would win easily in N.A.

Oh how they were so wrong.

Top Bottom