• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: Street Fighter V's backlash proves we value quantity over quality

ReBurn

Gold Member
But this is the things... This is a competitive game not an sp experience. The meat is in its gameplay and it excels there.

I'm starting to feel that calling it a competitive game is just an excuse. SFIV was also competitive, but people could go offline and play traditional SP when they wanted to. Saying it's not for SP fans is just giving a good chunk of the franchise fanbase the finger.

Orayn

I don't know if I'd characterize it as quality over quantity, but different segments of their audience expecting different things.

IV had 16 players, V has 16 players.

IV had good online, V has good online.

IV was fun to play, V is even more fun to play.

IV had shitty singleplayer content, V has even shittier, but I do not give a fuck. It's a multiplayer game, period.

V is life. Fantastic fighting game on my PC.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No... I think it demonstrates the opposite. People wanted an online mode that worked, and they wanted basic functionality that's been expected of fighting games since they've existed. Those things are lacking. People aren't really complaining there's not a MK X-caliber single player experience.

Street Fighter V, as it currently stands, is a great game, but a terrible product.

I love and hate it.

Jawmuncher

It goes both ways. Yeah capcom is adding the content. But there's different sorts of fans. Sure it's great that you can play ranked all day and have fun, but not everyone want's that. Doesn't help that they didn't do a very good job of explaining what is coming up if you're a more casual fan.

The model of a base fighter with lot's more content being added (Especially for free) works. But capcom just didn't handle it right. There's a reason why you see the same group mad over this, while the players who just play online have no issues.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's possible to get both. Capcom fighters have always been light on modes, but SFV is light even compared to that.

SFV is definitely a paid beta, or maybe even worse, since "beta" is supposed to imply a content complete game that just needs to get polished.

If the game was $15 or even F2P like DOTA that's one thing but it's a full $60 release...

Quality > Quantity always. Some games out there are packed with quantity and lacking so much quality. It's the opposite for street fighter, but it has the modes that matter (for me and a large quantity of others) so it's amazing to me.

That's a pretty laughably article. The author basically ignored all the actual issues surrounding the game just to prove their point.

No, SF5 doesn't prove we value quantity over quality, it proves we value not getting ripped off. When previous games happened to have more characters AND modes, then you can't really excuse the game for having so little. It doesn't matter if they changed their business model, there are competitors (other fighting games) that manage to have tons more content while also allowing them to release new character, stage, costume DLC (MKX and SSB4)

Imagine if the next Smash Bros went back to Smash 64 level of features and subsequent characters could only be unlocked through online grinding or purchasing. Even if it was super polished Nintendo would rightly be shat on

Also for all the talk that it's an immaculately designed and balanced game (which a few days after launch is still a hard call to make, cause it'll totally get balance patches) doesn't mean the same cannot be said of MKX, Killer Instinct, Tekken 7, and maybe even DOA5?

It's a skimpy package at 60 bucks, I don't think it'll be a bother to anyone that really wants to play the game, and it doesn't bother me, but I can see people being wary of grabbing the game at this time for t hat reason.

I think it's still going to sell gangbusters, though.

The current story mode is quality? Damn, that's some low standards.

On topic, I don't think it is disproportionate. You reap what you sow, Capcom gambled and until the NPD is out there is no answer if they succeeded or not.

JudgeN

This issue is and has always been is its not acceptable for ANY COMPANY to release a game in this beta state and patch the rest in later while charge $60.

That it, its bullshit when Sony does it, its bullshit when EA does it, its bullshit when Capcom does it period. This is not something the gaming media or customers should fucking accept with open arms. Because we all know if you give game developers/companies and inch they will take a fucking mile.

I know Drive club has turn out fantastic and I know Street Fighter V will turn out complete and fantastic but that doesn't make this shit OK. If your going to release like this you gotta charge less period.

This ignores what other fighting games in competition with Street Fighter have done with there titles in terms of content, but that a whole another issue IMO.

Chacranajxy said:
Street Fighter V, as it currently stands, is a great game, but a terrible product.

I love and hate it.

Perfectly stated

When in doubt, put blame on the consumer for not wanting to consume what you offer.

While personally I'm okay with them choosing to focus on the gameplay aspect (it's the best SF has felt in years) I still really miss a dedicated arcade mode.

Carlius

Banned
i agree. game is fantastic. i always thought the story modes in mk and iunjustice were overrated casual modes for the casuals. sfv is legit in its gameplay, a solid game that focuses on what it is. a fighting game.

I agree. But I've always held this view. I don't think I've ever put it against a game to be light on content if the gameplay had depth.

To me, this happened last year when I bought both Rainbow Six: Siege and Black Ops 3 for full price. The former has been worth the full price of admission and I've already clocked a little over 200 hours into the it. The latter, as "content filled as it was" didn't hold my attention for more then 10 hours.

Dahbomb

It's not like the quality is insanely high either. What's there isn't all that to be excited about.

More importantly other fighters have provided good gameplay/visuals with fAR more content and visuals than SFV at that price point. SFV falls far below what is expected of a mainline fighter these days.

Star Wars Battlefront proved this as well.

Too many people would prefer to have quantity over quality rather than the other way around.

Unit24

To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with the amount of people defending SFV's lack of content with nothing but insults to anyone who complains. I probably shouldn't be so surprised, but it's still upsetting. It's totally reasonable to be disappointed with a barebones release, you don't have to be a jackass and call everyone casuals or tell them that they don't care about quality (even though they clearly do).

Platy

The problem is that the single player content is not exactly quantity ..... the quality of the MECHANICS OF THE FIGHT is God Tier, but the quality of the cutscenes and how satisfied the story makes you (the quality of the story) is pretty shit.

The QUALITY of mechanics that makes people stop ragequitting is crap since it is inexistent, the QUALITY of the server has not been that good considering all those betas ... how you can't earn fight money unless you are online mixed with inconsistent servers makes this a shit quality in the fight money earnings too

It is the "Early AAAccess" like a friend said

¡HarlequinPanic!;195907355 said:
Also for all the talk that it's an immaculately designed and balanced game (which a few days after launch is still a hard call to make, cause it'll totally get balance patches) doesn't mean the same cannot be said of MKX, Killer Instinct, Tekken 7, and maybe even DOA5?
Not necessarily. I can't speak for KI T7 or DOA but MKX balance is a fucking mess, but that's mostly NRS's fault than the game's.

I agree with this article. That is why There are so many garbage open world for the sake of open world games out there these days. 95% open world games are just padded trash.

Carlius

Banned
It's not like the quality is insanely high either. What's there isn't all that to be excited about.

More importantly other fighters have provided good gameplay/visuals with fAR more content and visuals than SFV at that price point. SFV falls far below what is expected of a mainline fighter these days.

yet, once again it will dominate the FGC and it will be the most played fighting game this gen most likely.

Syril

I think this article is doing way too much extrapolation. I really like SFV, but honestly the state it's in right now should have an Early Access warning. I'm not talking about the features it's missing that people want like Arcade or Vs. CPU modes, I mean things like the main menu options that are grayed out and say that they'll be added in future updates, or the fact that it only supports XInput controllers in a genre where players can frequently have very specific controller preferences.

Nephtes

Game would be fine if the servers hadn't shit the bed on day one.

The focus of the game is online, absolutely... But right out of the gate when that doesn't work and there's next to no worthwhile single player content (because you don't accumulate XP or fight money offline), then yeah, it's a huge problem.

The backlash is justified.
Had online worked properly at launch, no backlash would have been needed.

An article that blames gamers, shock and awe. I swear the industry likes to blame the gamer more than anything. Yes what of the game there is polished and good stuff, pretty sure everyone knows that. But it's so limited compared to what we have known, what we expect it's a huge glaring issue. People have a right to be upset about it, getting the most out of our dollar should be right and here there is something good but it should be much more as well. Getting cut down versions of games and having them patched in later isn't the kind of thing we should tolerate lightly, we'd surely shit on some if they did that and how long are we suppose to wait for more options? In the end it can easily become a dangerous thing that screws gamers over or they're expected later to pay more for in DLC or season packs. And you can bet some companies would gladly do that.

Fans have the right to fight against any of this and they have. It's not a bad thing. We're told to react and voice our opinions, lo and behold we are.

Because a lot of gamers are incapable of measured and reasonable discussion. Look at the user reviews on metacritic. This game has problems but is in no way a 3/10. People get angry about something and instead of talking about it or asking questions they kick and scream and stamp their feet

This isn't a reaction exclusive to SFV, it happens with many games and issues

Jawmuncher

Yep for it's launch this is completely true. I don't think anyone would want future fighting games to all follow this model. Not saying don't add modes in the future, but it's better to have a fuller product from the get go just so you don't get this sort of backlash. That way the people who want to play it and move on have no issues, and those sticking around have all the DLC and other thing's to look forward to.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The messaging and communication have been on all over the place with the title.

"We want more casual gamers"

Launches with barely any training or casual friendly modes.

I love the game but Capcom's PR failed this game.

That I would agree with. SF is never going to be for casuals. The skill floor is just much higher than games like MKX. The time links for combos etc. are much harder to get down. There aren't easy stun moves like Scorpion's Spear or Minion Grab to guarantee combo starts etc. etc.

All they really did is make it slightly more accessible than SFIV by moving links from 1 frame to 3 frames. So from 1/60th a second to 1/20th of a second. Easier, but still super tough for a casual to pick up.

Their messaging should have been more along the lines of wanting SFV to be the premier fighter for playing against others, locally or online, at all levels of competitiveness.

What they really need/want to do is get people playing MKX, Guilty Gear etc. against others to move to SFV. They clearly don't care much about people playing MKX just for the single player content, given the comparative lack of SP content SFV will have even after the updates come. And that's fine. They want people who are going to keep playing online and buying DLC more than those that buy for the SP and drop the game and never buy any DLC.

But they really botched the PR. They're not going for casuals. They're also not wanting to say it's just for the FGC. It's simply geared to people who want to at least put in some effort and get better playing against others. Not people who just like the SP content in games like MKX.

That argument would only be valid if the previous iteration didn't have both quantity and quality, which it did. Or if the new installment had a significant increase in quality, which it doesn't.

Therefore I classify this argument as total apologetic bullshit.

As if we needed any more proof that "professional garme jurnalizm" is totally in-bed with publishers/developers...

When all of these things arrive, the version of Street Fighter 5 they create will indeed be a worthy, packed-out offering that it will be easy to recommend to anyone, without reservation. The quality of the core game will not have changed of course. But then that part never needed to. But the thing is, in 2016, it’s not enough to just have AAA quality. You need to deliver it in a AAA package as well.

If this was going to be his conclusion, why the sensational article title? YES, when people pay $60 for a game, they want more than bare bones and a good core. They want the package to be largely complete when they buy it, not 6 months from now. And they certainly aren't unreasonable to expect that features core to the genre for 20 years to suddenly be absent. WE WANT BOTH, NOT EITHER OR.

Yes, a AAA package along with AAA quality is what people want. Why wouldn't they expect both? It's not a Beta release. It's not half price. Weird thing about the bolded part of the quote is that it has been true in every generation of gaming. Since when did not having both quality AND quantity become a thing we are supposed to accept out of $60 offerings? Did I miss a memo? Should I blame Ttianfall? Killzone?

Dahbomb

yet, once again it will dominate the FGC and it will be the most played fighting game this gen most likely.
But will it advance the player base past that of SF4 all that much? Not talking about just the FGC here. Considering all the changes they made to the game to make it more palatable to casual players, I don't think Capcom would be as pleased if the same or less people played SFV.

DrDogg

I really don't get the load time complaints, is it disc only? Because my digital version loads stuff in 30 seconds tops.

I have a digital version on PS4 and PC. On my PS4 it takes a good minute or more to go from a ranked match back to training mode (coming from a fight request). I was also playing battle lounge with a friend last night. I was on PS4, they were on PC. Every time we went back to the lobby, they were at the lobby a good 30 seconds before me while my PS4 copy just continued to load.

I mainly play 3D fighters, and it takes MUCH longer to find a match and move from one match to the next in SF5 than it does in TTT2 or Soul Calibur 5. Never have I had to have something else to entertain me while I play ranked in a fighting game. That's how long it takes to move from match to match on PS4.

Battle lounges have yet to work for me and I'm still lucky to ever find a match, so I'm getting neither quantity nor quality as of now.

Battle lounge worked fine for me last night, and it usually only takes me about a minute or so to find a match in ranked. It's a bit longer if I use fight request in training mode, but given my above comments, I tend to avoid that now just to shave off some time.

I was under the impression that it is not such a straight dichotomy. As in variation and extra width in gameplay modes and player options can allow for extra quality.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I value quality and quantity. We're getting less for the same price compared to competitors out of the box and the game pisses you off because of issues. When your FM progress is tied to a shoddy online network right now and can kill your progress in game modes, that's fucked up and sucks.

Also, comments like this:

The irony is that Capcom’s game, as a piece of pure game design, would be hard to improve. It truly is one of the best crafted, most thoughtfully balanced, most rewardingly nuanced fighting games ever made.

Are so so so so so so early to be made that you can't even take it seriously.

Eh, whatever. Can't expect much out of gaming outlets to give much a shit about the consumer or hold companies responsible.

Quantity and quality aren't mutually exclusive things. We've been buying quality and quantity together in fighting games since the mid 90's.

Draft

Not even out a week and already one of the best, most nuanced fighting games ever made. Give me a break.

But will it advance the player base past that of SF4 all that much? Not talking about just the FGC here. Considering all the changes they made to the game to make it more palatable to casual players, I don't think Capcom would be as pleased if the same or less people played SFV.
Well it will invariably have less players. It's on fewer platforms.

Oersted

If this was going to be his conclusion, why the sensational article title? YES, when people pay $60 for a game, they want more than bare bones and a good core. They want the package to be largely complete when they buy it, not 6 months from now. And they certainly aren't unreasonable to expect that features core to the genre for 20 years to suddenly be absent. WE WANT BOTH, NOT EITHER OR.

Yes, a AAA package along with AAA quality is what people want. Why wouldn't they expect both? It's not a Beta release. It's not half price. Weird thing about the bolder is that it has been true in every generation of gaming. Since when did not having both quality and quantity become a thing we are supposed to accept out of $60 offerings? Did I miss a memo? Should I blame Ttianfall? Killzone?

Are you familiar with the term clickbait?

I have a digital version on PS4 and PC. On my PS4 it takes a good minute or more to go from a ranked match back to training mode (coming from a fight request). I was also playing battle lounge with a friend last night. I was on PS4, they were on PC. Every time we went back to the lobby, they were at the lobby a good 30 seconds before me while my PS4 copy just continued to load.

I mainly play 3D fighters, and it takes MUCH longer to find a match and move from one match to the next in SF5 than it does in TTT2 or Soul Calibur 5. Never have I had to have something else to entertain me while I play ranked in a fighting game. That's how long it takes to move from match to match on PS4.
Weird, maybe there's some wonky server stuff going on? Because that hasn't been my experience at all.

daman824

I disagree. Quality would be shipping with features that the previous game had. We lost those.
This. The very least they could have done is matched the launch content of SFV's predecessor that released in 2008. They could have completely ignore the progress made in the genre over the last 8 years. But they didn't. The game isn't just "light on content", it lacks basic staples of the genre that almost every other fighting game, AAA or indie, has.

Syril

Because a lot of gamers are incapable of measured and reasonable discussion. Look at the user reviews on metacritic. This game has problems but is in no way a 3/10. People get angry about something and instead of talking about it or asking questions they kick and scream and stamp their feet

This isn't a reaction exclusive to SFV, it happens with many games and issues
Because when I look for measured and reasonable discussion, I browser the user reviews section on Metacritic.

JakR

I did not follow the discussion every step, but I read gameplay is superb, content is very light and online playing with some hickups.

To be honest I am glad that such a release is getting some backlash. I am more a singleplayer guy and online play to lengthen the game experience. So it is no surprise the more and more focus to online only and disappearing singleplayer component is a worrysome developement for the last few years.
It could end possibly with server shutdowns for several games in a few years and no way to experience the games or games streamlined for online/multiplayer minus the invetement in singleplayer content.

Finally publishers must be remembered that they have to show up with a complete package and not an under construction on the go routine.

I thought some lessons were already learned, but the way seems with full force for the light content with service of former full game parts down the road.

Top Bottom