• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: Street Fighter V's backlash proves we value quantity over quality

ethomaz

Banned
Every major game gets that.

Witcher 3 for many people is an amazing game and got GOTYs up the wazoo, but still craptons of complaint threads and concern articles.
The Witcher 3 has a terrible gameplay combat... that is the main issue.

In these terms SFV is amazing in gameplay.

I prefer gameplay over the others things... TW3 could have been the best game ever for me if it had a passed gameplay combat but ended one of the worst experience in my gaming life due the gameplay combat.

SFV is the opposite... I'm having a blast playing it... now I'm posting away from my home just wanted to get back to play more.

It's truly baffling shit.

Nostalgia's a hell of thing isn't it?

"But it's Street Fighter! It's the cream of the fighting game crop!" People shout from the mountain tops.

Busted online, shit for single player, no challenge mode, and nothing in the game teaches you how to play it. Truly the gold standard of fighting games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Because general consumers didnt keep up on details provided about a game they were going to pay 60 dollars for, alot of them still dont understand that updates are on the way either.
This is that elitist, baseless assumption that most people don't know what they're getting into that I'm talking about. It's a vestige of previous gens where.. there wasn't really that much support for the argument in the first place besides look at me I'm an informed gamer, other people must not be as informed as me!

Nostalgia's a hell of thing isn't it?

"But it's Street Fighter! It's the cream of the fighting game crop!" People shout from the mountain tops.

Busted online, shit for single player, no challenge mode, and nothing in the game teaches you how to play it. Truly the gold standard of fighting games.
It has a tutorial, what are you talking about?

Unless you are implying those superflous single player modes teach you how to play the game.. in which case.. lmao

DR2K

Banned
Not really sure what people are actually complaining about to Capcom. More content? More content is already in the pipeline. Don't think the current game is worth $60? Ok don't buy it or wait until there's enough for you. Bought it blindly and are disappointed with content? More content is coming, but no secrets were kept from the buyer.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So... wait for a price drop or until enough content is released to justify the purchase?

Well thats what many are doing. Doesnt mean people cant call capcom out for this PS4 console exclusive though.

ethomaz

Banned
Well thats what many are doing. Doesnt mean people cant call capcom out for this PS4 console exclusive though.
Sony is possible the ones why the game was developed...

So why complain? At least you can have the PC version with cross-play.

Petrae

Not really sure what people are actually complaining about to Capcom. More content? More content is already in the pipeline. Don't think the current game is worth $60? Ok don't buy it or wait until there's enough for you. Bought it blindly and are disappointed with content? More content is coming, but no secrets were kept from the buyer.

"It's totally cool that you're selling me a $60 game in pieces. I mean, even if you sell me a disc that generates nothing but a 'Coming Soon!' message on it, I explicitly trust that my $60 (plus tax) will inevitably be well-spent."

I don't give a shit what's in the pipeline. It's content that, in many other cases, has been assured on Day One for nearly 25 years... but now, because Street Fighter, it's okay to deliver this pipeline content in bits and chunks later? Heck no. Not in my view. Not when other publishers and development teams can deliver immediately feature-rich releases from Day One, such as what WBIE and Netherrealm just did a year ago.

In my eyes, this sets a shitty precedent. I will not now, nor ever, support a publisher that does stuff like this. Others will, and that's their right, but I absolutely refuse.

Kimawolf

There are lots of people who are Street Fighter fans but don't give a damn about competition stuff and just wanted a full game out the box. Not sure why that's so tough to get.

Me I LOVE Street fighter but I'm no hardcore fighter. I felt they have at least launched with parity to SFIV. But they didn't even do that. So if the game sells like shit it's deserved IMO .

ethomaz

Banned
"It's totally cool that you're selling me a $60 game in pieces. I mean, even if you sell me a disc that generates nothing but a 'Coming Soon!' message on it, I explicitly trust that my $60 (plus tax) will inevitably be well-spent."

I don't give a shit what's in the pipeline. It's content that, in many other cases, has been assured on Day One for nearly 25 years... but now, because Street Fighter, it's okay to deliver this pipeline content in bits and chunks later? Heck no. Not in my view. Not when other publishers and development teams can deliver immediately feature-rich releases from Day One, such as what WBIE and Netherrealm just did a year ago.

In my eyes, this sets a shitty precedent. I will not now, nor ever, support a publisher that does stuff like this. Others will, and that's their right, but I absolutely refuse.
Show me a SF game in the last 25 year launched with more than Arcade Mode?

SFV is the most content wise SF ever released.

It has a tutorial, what are you talking about?

Unless you are implying those superflous single player modes teach you how to play the game.. in which case.. lmao

You're totally right! I forgot about my five minute tutorial with Ryu in the beginning. I just went back through it and HOLY SHIT! I learned how to play every character just by taking that tutorial more seriously! Hot damn! Capcom are truly wise teachers. I'm destroying ranked mode now. How was I so blind before?!

ethomaz

Banned
There are lots of people who are Street Fighter fans but don't give a damn about competition stuff and just wanted a full game out the box. Not sure why that's so tough to get.

Me I LOVE Street fighter but I'm no hardcore fighter. I felt they have at least launched with parity to SFIV. But they didn't even do that. So if the game sells like shit it's deserved IMO .
I know there guys that wants to play more SP content and it is fair.

Like it is fair to wait for new content before buy it... SFV is supposed to be a serviceable game with free updates/features for the whole generation.

Buy the game when what you want be there.

For now Capcom focused in the competitive aspect first and it is fair because they choose what they want to finish first and what they will add later for free.

It is your choice to buy the game now or late.

15strong

Is it not enough to say, "Street Fighter V's backlash proves we value quantity" and leave it there? Why the provocative sensationalist bullshit?

There is no sensationalism in the title though. Writing an article about gamers valuing just quantity would be pointless. The title might as well be "we like stuff".

ethomaz

Banned
You're totally right! I forgot about my five minute tutorial with Ryu in the beginning. I just went back through it and HOLY SHIT! I learned how to play every character just by taking that tutorial more seriously! Hot damn! Capcom are truly wise teachers. I'm destroying ranked mode now. How was I so blind before?!
I don't remember fighting games having tutorials that make you a ranked played... you learn at you own experience.

Playing is the key.

And that is fun... each loss I learn a bit more how to hold my shit with the ranked players.

I don't remember fighting games having tutorials that make you a ranked played... you learn at you own experience.

Playing is the key.

And that is fun... each loss I learn a bit more how to hold my shit with the ranked players.

There's a difference between the tutorial offered and what they're referring to as a tutorial. A tutorial should, at the very least, explain all the game's basic mechanics. As it is, the tutorial doesn't even teach you how to do EX moves, v-reversals, and other stuff that's a basic part of the game

I know there guys that wants to play more SP content and it is fair.

Like it is fair to wait for new content before buy it... SFV is supposed to be a serviceable game with free updates/features for the whole generation.

Buy the game when what you want be there.

For now Capcom focused in the competitive aspect first and it is fair because they choose what they want to finish first and what they will add later for free.

It is your choice to buy the game now or late.
Except they didn't write that on the box. Where does it say "arcade mode coming soon" on the box or in any of their tv commercials or printed ads?

But...But....MK!!!!!!!! MORE SP CONTENT DAMNIT!!!! TURN FG INTO A RPG WITH SOME ACTUAL FGGG!!!
joking but it seems to me that's what most people who arent actually interested in the fighting game aspect of FG want out of fighting game.
Wait till the AJ video thats coming out it will be cringeworthy full of fake rants and misinformation like always when it comes to FGs imo.

It it how many of us feel/felt with Star Wars Battlefront as well.

Fortunately for battlefront aside from decent gameplay it had the star wars name behind it thus still selling millions upon millions even as a multiplayer only title. SF on the other hand doesnt have that kind of brand name backing it up. I will be surprised to see if SF can sell even one million worldwide.

You know MKX is in this year's EVO right? Like ok, you don't like MKX, that's fine. But lets not like.......lie.

I never said I didn't like MKX. I Actually own it. It is a fun game to play when friends are over because it is flashy and novel. I had fun doing team battles and such at launch since all my friends had it. Now, no one plays it and I don't think I will anymore now that SFV is out. I was initially responding to those who were saying MKX is the better game and for most of us who own/played both, it is clearly not. But let's not, like... assume anything.

Joke post?

Nope. He's most likely comparing it to the previous Street Fighter's that launched in japanese arcades with just the arcade mode. This is the first Street Fighter that went straight to retail. That's how far people are willing to go to defend these faceless companies. It has more content than a freaking arcade cabinet.

Maybe the whole PS4 exclusive theory has some validity.

ethomaz

Banned
There's a difference between the tutorial offered and what they're referring to as a tutorial. A tutorial should, at the very least, explain all the game's basic mechanics. As it is, the tutorial doesn't even teach you how to do EX moves, v-reversals, and other stuff that's a basic part of the game
It explain the basics.

After that you look the command for others players and you will be able to try until get the right timing...

It was like time in ever game I played.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But...But....MK!!!!!!!! MORE SP CONTENT DAMNIT!!!! TURN FG INTO A RPG WITH SOME ACTUAL FGGG!!!
joking but it seems to me that's what most people who arent actually interested in the fighting game aspect of FG want out of fighting game.
Wait till the AJ video thats coming out it will be cringeworthy full of fake rants and misinformation like always when it comes to FGs imo.

I agree with this, and even the sarcasm is true by a certain demographic.

Fortunately for battlefront aside from decent gameplay it had the star wars name behind it thus still selling millions upon millions even as a multiplayer only title. SF on the other hand doesnt have that kind of brand name backing it up. I will be surprised to see if SF can sell even one million worldwide.

Good points, maybe I just remember Street Fighter as a juggernaught in the mid-90's.

So GAF truly has a defense force for everything.
There are defense force every where bro. Defense force unite!!!!! no seriously we are humans we all have different opinions. I will guarantee you fanboy over games you like too no need insult people who like SFV...chill out B,

Petrae

Street Fighter Alpha 3 was released on multiple consoles, dating back to the PlayStation version in the Spring of 1999. It offered a World Tour Mode, which had RPG elements as you built characters through experience and powerups.

That's the best example.

ethomaz

Banned
Except they didn't write that on the box. Where does it say "arcade mode coming soon" on the box or in any of their tv commercials or printed ads?
Are you kidding?

Capcom was pretty clear with what will be released with the game, what will be on March update and all the others updates until end of the year.

Even the beta had what will come at release.

The SP content or Story mode like you guys want was always planned to June.

Arcade Mode is a mode come from Arcades... this game has no Arcade and it is the first version of the game. Capcom said we won't get a basic Arcade version like previous games.

There are defense force every where bro. Defense force unite!!!!! no seriously we are humans we all have different opinions. I will guarantee you fanboy over games you like too no need insult people who like SFV...chill out B,
Funny, I guess it's okay for you to insult people who don't like SFV, create lame strawmen asking for RPG elements and say that they don't like fighting in fighting games, huh

But I'm a dog using the Internet, I thought everyone here's a dog too :(

entremet

Funny, I guess it's okay for you to insult people who don't like SFV, create lame strawmen asking for RPG elements and say that they don't like fighting in fighting games, huh
You don't even need strawmen.

Even comparing the original arcade releases, those had arcade modes!

Not SFV.

But they dont B!!!!GIVE ME RPG DAMNIT!!! GIve me SP DAMNITTTTTT!!!!!!MK!!!!!!
relax bro stop taking things too seriously lmaooooo

danmaku

It explain the basics.

After that you look the command for others players and you will be able to try until get the right timing...

It was like time in ever game I played.

Maybe you should take a look at Skullgirls or Killer Instinct, two games that offer tutorials so good that SFV is a joke in comparison.

Garlador

Absolutely agreed. My friend was telling me he had to jump onto Youtube and look up tutorials and explanations for these very basic things because the game sure as hell doesn't tell you much about V-skills and V-triggers, especially since so many of them do specific things unique to every fighter.

SFV has a "tutorial" mode. That is technically correct... but it's hardly a comprehensive one and it definitely doesn't teach players more than the absolute bare essentials of the game (much like the game itself is nothing but the bare essentials).

I guess my thing is... look, even when a game absolutely scratches my particular itch, and say "all I need" is player vs player and I'm good... I can still acknowledge that excluding and ignoring and leaving out support and modes that have always been included, that millions of players enjoy, is still a bad thing. I can like a game and still criticize the exclusions. Hell, I can find the game perfect "for me" and still criticize it because I can stand in solidarity with other players who are feeling left out and don't have the stuff they used to have and always did have for over two decades.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Oh yeah? Well the Red Sox are better than Street Fighter V while playing on my Sony Bravia, streaming with my nVidia card, in my dorm at The U (Miami), with Stargate SG1 playing in the background, after I practice these new chord progressions from this Metallica song, thrash metal 4 lyfe.

Damn fans and their defenses. ;p

Ryce

Arcade Mode is a mode come from Arcades... this game has no Arcade and it is the first version of the game.
So? Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, Injustice, Killer Instinct, and Mortal Kombat X all have arcade modes. I don't recall any of those games having arcade versions.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 was released on multiple consoles, dating back to the PlayStation version in the Spring of 1999. It offered a World Tour Mode, which had RPG elements as you built characters through experience and powerups.

That's the best example.

I am a huge fan of world tour mode and still play it and liked all the extra modes that Tekken used to incorporate. However, to be fair, Alpha 3 was the only one to have such a mode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you're looking for more, no game does this adequately (maybe Skullgirls?). You always have to rely on community content.

In-game trials have never been sufficient, because you can figure most of that stuff out in Training Mode with little to no effort (and more than that is certainly needed to be competitive in ranked). I agree that a quick crash course in what's good about each character or makes them unique would be useful in-game (currently, Capcom is putting out character guides on the SFV channel which serve the same purpose), but relying on trials for that kind of stuff has always been a book smarts vs. pragmatic application kind of deal, and almost always the community content will cover that all in one.

It's unfortunate that this ultimately fruitless perspective on how to get good at fighting games even exists, TBH. The core of the multiplayer is learning to adapt on the fly and trying stuff out on your own, but people are always looking for the get sick quick scheme.

Oh yeah? Well the Red Sox are better than Street Fighter V while playing on my Sony Bravia, streaming with my nVidia card, in my dorm at The U (Miami), with Stargate SG1 playing in the background, after I practice these new chord progressions from this Metallica song, thrash metal 4 lyfe.

Damn fans and their defenses. ;p

I am your powers combined...I am defense force!!!!! (captain planet reference).

Top Bottom