• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: Halo 5 digital sales are in line with other AAA game releases

YuShtink

MS/343 needed a reality check after they served up a hefty helping of horse shit with MCC. Hopefully this teaches them that you can't just fuck over your fans and then just close your eyes and move forward like we didn't just have wads of shit in our mouths.

Heretic

Can the thread title be changed to note that they dont have concrete details? Just pulling it out if their ass.

Silvard

If I was MS I wouldn't tell GS the factual numbers/percentages.

MS - "Ummmm .... the numbers... yahhhhhh.... oh ya at best 20%, Gamespot. You have nothing to worry about."

*Looks at the chart on the computer monitor which shows higher sell percentage digitally. Starts to laugh uncontrollably*

GS - "What was that laughter I just heard?????"

*MS keeps laughing*

Fanfics always make for great supporting arguments.

RibMan

the guy who's company is under threat from losing tons of business from digital says digital sales were normal and no real figure?

hmmmm.

no reason to believe its 9:1 but no reason doubt this guy a little too. he has no idea what the digital sales are lol

Let's think about this. What's more likely:

Every major publisher and GameStop (the largest videogame retailer) are telling the truth or Halo 5 has achieved digital sales that no other game has ever achieved?

Just think about it for a second.

LifEndz

Let's think about this. What's more likely:

Every major publisher and GameStop (the largest videogame retailer) are telling the truth or Halo 5 has achieved digital sales that no other game has ever achieved?

Just think about it for a second.

So you're telling me there's a chance...

the guy who's company is under threat from losing tons of business from digital says digital sales were normal and no real figure?

hmmmm.

no reason to believe its 9:1 but no reason doubt this guy a little too. he has no idea what the digital sales are lol

He's in the position to know about the number more than anybody here.

BTW holyshyte about the drop. Next game needs to be something very special to save this franchise.

If you don't want the market sales leader in the U.S. saying what their trends are, then go right ahead. I ain't gonna stop you.

Oh, but their wording, the horror!
It's going to take Microsoft themselves to say it for anyone to believe and since that is never happening because they're the pr kings 90% lives on

Fat4all

Banned
We know vs We believe.

Big difference.

They couldn't possible know for sure, they may be the largest slice of the games market pie but they know what their sales are and they are saying they doubt it's much different across the market. It could be more or even less for all we know, but Microsoft ain't cheering on high digital sales so for all we can speculate it's probably closer to normal.

You could always get a job at Microsoft and leak official numbers if you don't want just market speculation.

We know vs We believe.

Big difference.

We would have already heard from Microsoft if digital sales were very high. Having >20% digital rate of an exclusive full-priced retail game would be nothing short of impressive and something MS would shout from the rooftops.

Fdkn

If I was MS I wouldn't tell GS the factual numbers/percentages.

MS - "Ummmm .... the numbers... yahhhhhh.... oh ya at best 20%, Gamespot. You have nothing to worry about."

*Looks at the chart on the computer monitor which shows higher sell percentage digitally. Starts to laugh uncontrollably*

GS - "What was that laughter I just heard?????"

*MS keeps laughing*

I'm sure this is what really happened, yeah.

There's just too many big players in the FPS market for Halo to make the same impact. I mean it still sold great considering, but it's not a colossus anymore. COD, Battlefield, Battlefront, and Destiny just hold too much recognition in the console space.

Bluenoser

So let me see if I can understand, as someone not present for the references made in this thread.

Someone named Leeh used anecdotal evidence to support digital sales of Halo 5 being 90% of all sales, and this comment from Gamestop put that theory out to pasture? How could anyone think that the market has already evolved to 90% digital? It's absurd.

So let me see if I can understand, as someone not present for the references made in this thread.

Someone named Leeh used anecdotal evidence to support digital sales of Halo 5 being 90% of all sales, and this comment from Gamestop put that theory out to pasture? How could anyone think that the market has already evolved to 90% digital? It's absurd.

Well I mean on his friends list, 10 people were playing Halo 5 and 9 of them bought it digitally!

Fat4all

Banned

The resulting fallout in the thread was the real gold.

Seems like the spin machine already started.

Spinning_Woman.gif

hawk2025

Where have the crow pictures gone?

Well, it's not just that.

He then started posting obnoxious crow-on-a-plate pictures based on limited evidence, so it went one beyond that.

Dragon

Banned

Wishful thinking. Only reason I can think of.

Warxard

Banned
MS/343 needed a reality check after they served up a hefty helping of horse shit with MCC. Hopefully this teaches them that you can't just fuck over your fans and then just close your eyes and move forward like we didn't just have wads of shit in our mouths.

Halo 5 was going to sell the same amount regardless of MCC. It's on the second place console.

Aeqvitas

Why would major publishers volunteer valuable sales information to GS? Especially when that data has the possibility to cause a major disruption to GS's business model?

I'm not sure whether the assertion is wrong or not, but this is pretty flimsy evidence to use, especially when it is essentially hearsay based on "conversations" and any public admittance of growing digital sales would cause concern to investors in GS.

Just food for thought.

Caja 117

7 of my 10 friends have Halo 5 digital....

In all seriousness, I think Halo 5 did better than 20% digital, obviously not 90% or 70%, but more than 20%.

krang

I'm not saying the 20% number is untrue (I actually think it's a little higher for Halo 5), but this source of information sounds incredibly unreliable. A guy whose company depends on a lack of digital sales says, "believe" twice in that statement. lol, yeah. Sounds like horseshit, buddy.

MisterR

7 of my 10 friends have Halo 5 digital....

In all seriousness, I think Halo 5 did better than 20% digital, obviously not 90% or 70%, but more than 20%.

There is no indication of this from anywhere, outside of anecdotal evidence from Halo fans.

Top Bottom