• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: Halo 5 digital sales are in line with other AAA game releases

Just read the article and it seems to have been updated with one of these 'analysts' chiming in with his two cents and they seem to be at odds with what GameStop are saying

[UPDATE] Industry analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company issued a note to investors today after the GameStop call, stating Halo 5's digital sales are likely better than what GameStop claimed.

"We especially have a hard time believing that Halo 5 digital units remain in the 20-25% range, as GameStop management suggested on the call," he said. "GameStop gave some other potential reasons for the disconnect between NPD data and Microsoft's post-launch press release, but we don't believe they are sufficient to explain the size of the gap."

"Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

Curiouser and curiouser. Who to believe, the lying cheating retailers or the lying cheating analysts lol

Warxard

Banned
Just read the article and it seems to have been updated with one of these 'analysts' chiming in with his two cents and they seem to be at odds with what GameStop are saying

[UPDATE] Industry analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company issued a note to investors today after the GameStop call, stating Halo 5's digital sales are likely better than what GameStop claimed.

"We especially have a hard time believing that Halo 5 digital units remain in the 20-25% range, as GameStop management suggested on the call," he said. "GameStop gave some other potential reasons for the disconnect between NPD data and Microsoft's post-launch press release, but we don't believe they are sufficient to explain the size of the gap."

"Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

Curiouser and curiouser. Who to believe, the lying cheating retailers or the lying cheating analysts lol

Oh dear

I dont see why the the number of the previous record is relevant, the best we can get is that Witcher 3 did 25%.

The number of the previous record is relevant so we can have a good idea of the possible minimum of Halo 5's digital sales. Let me ask you, did the XBO version of The Witcher 3 sell as much as Halo 5? Considering how that the PS4 version sold nearly 2x as much in just the US/UK, the answer is quite obvious.

RedAssedApe

Banned

analyst seems to be implying that gamestop is trying to pretend that sales are down in general versus just retail sales being down and digital making up the difference i guess? haha

Fat4all

Banned
Wait, am I reading that right?

Does that mean 10%-12.5% digital, or does that mean 40%-50% digital?

The wording is throwing me off, I don't quite get it.

It means Nobody knows beside Microsoft and since Microsoft doesnt say anything, its most likely not that big.

He guesses. He has no data. Everybody will ignore this, but he knows as much as Gamestop.
He knows less than GameStop, as GS is in direct contact with the publisher.

I mean, I'm sure if close to half of Halo 5's sales were digital, MS would have boasted about that in their press release, no?! Because that's an amazing figure (especially if most other games are ~20%) and would look good in a statement to emphasise the good health of the franchise.

krang

I mean, I'm sure if close to half of Halo 5's sales were digital, MS would have boasted about that in their press release, no?! Because that's an amazing figure (especially if most other games are ~20%) and would look good in a statement to emphasise the good health of the franchise.

Probably don't want to announce that most of them were bought from the Russian store.

Caja 117

The number of the previous record is relevant so we can have a good idea of the possible minimum of Halo 5's digital sales. Let me ask you, did the XBO version of The Witcher 3 sell as much as Halo 5? Considering how that the PS4 version sold nearly 2x as much in just the US/UK, the answer is quite obvious.

I see what you are referring to, and I agree as a flaw on my argument.

Im looking just raw at the percentage split Physical vs Retail, Withcher 3 was able to do a split of 25%, so I dont think is impossible for Halo 5 to have a similar or possibly a better split.

It would be a figure Microsoft would love to boast about. A 50% digital rate is not just huge, but it would also set a record.

But they did boast about having a record digital sale.

Boke1879

50% percent digital? This man needs to put down the peyote.

Seriously if it was that much. MS would have NO issues sharing that info.

prwxv3

Im looking just raw at the percentage split Physical vs Retail, Withcher 3 was able to do a split of 25%, so I dont think is impossible for Halo 5 to have a similar or possibly a better split.

But they did without using numbers split.

Wat. No they did noy

Pachter-like guy said 50%. Pach it up.
I mean, really, we have a conference call to investors that details sales estimates of a tent pole release that was slated to significantly augment retail numbers for their multi-billion dollar corporation. Companies generally try not to lie to their investors, mostly because it's highly illegal. So why the hell would we take some Joe shmoe analyst's word over the info from the investor report?

Gotta keep the hope alive, I guess.

foxbeldin

But they did without using numbers split.

Aren't PC sales boosting up digital for tw3?

onanie

I mean, really, we have a conference call to investors that details sales estimates of a tent pole release that was slated to significantly augment retail numbers for their multi-billion dollar corporation. Companies generally try not to lie to their investors, mostly because it's highly illegal

Pfft but It's not 100% illegal .

Isurus

If it was 50 percebt there is no way MS would not announce that.

I'm not so sure of that, as they have retail partners they need to keep happy too. I expect them to say nothing, no matter what, at this point.

Edit: also, we should probably get an OP update given the info above.

Iorv3th

They said it was the best game sold digital in Xbox, or something alone the lines.

I think that 25% is a console split, Niro used it to illustrate how Impossible was of a 90% digital, where a Game like witcher was only 5% more than the average. The optimistic number was 30% in that other thread.

I thought that number was including digital sales from ps4/xone/pc combined.

I'm not so sure of that, as they have retail partners they need to keep happy too. I expect them to say nothing, no matter what, at this point.

I'm sure their retail partners are happy with MS lying to them.... How would it keep retailers happy if MS kept quiet? The retailers sell digital codes as well. Also the CE/LE of this game was a digital code.

prwxv3

They said it was the best game sold digital in Xbox, or something alone the lines.

I think that 25% is a console split, Niro used it to illustrate how Impossible was of a 90% digital, where a Game like witcher was only 5% more than the average. The optimistic number was 30% in that other thread.

That does not mean 50 percent bro.

Pfft but It's not 100% illegal .
But I have 9 friends that say its illegal, so it's 900% illegal.
The CEO of Gamestop has no reason to downplay digital sales. /s
To their goddamn investors, you mean? That's called securities fraud. It comes with millions of dollars of penalties and possible jail time. But sure, GS just has it out for poor lil Halo 5 and the oft-besieged Microsoft Corporation.

Rymuth

Of course GameStop would say this. Follow the money.

I thought people responding to you were in on the joke and just playfully responding with similar stuff.

But, now, after looking and reading more, there are people that actually believe this.

You monster! What have you done!

Cosmic: What have you done?

Benny: Trolled, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this forum is the worst hell on earth... Hope. Every Xbox gamer who has ventured here over the years has looked up to the Chartz numbers and imagined posting them here. So easy... So simple... And like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst, many have been banned trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize Halo, I will feed its fans hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe in the 90% digital ratio that you can watch them clamoring over each other in order to buy requisite packs. You can watch me torture an entire fanbase and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will hop on over to Bungie's Destiny...We will destroy Halo and then, when it is done and Halo is ashes, then you have my permission to dad…

TG8PlKt.jpg

TheFatOne

But they did boast about having a record digital sale.
What was the previous record? Without that number that boast is meaningless.

Edit: now that I think about it without both of those numbers that boast is meaningless.

matthieuC

Honestly it's probably around 30%. It really doesn't matter in the end though, because a Halo 5 is making more money than every other Halo with the genius (in terms of money making) addition of req packs.

Also, population is great right now. I find a match nearly instantly, and I've joined an in-progress maybe like twice.

Caja 117

I thought that number was including digital sales from ps4/xone/pc combined..

I mean, Nirolak can confirm this, as I saw it it seems only consoles to make an example on how Digital does in consoles.

That does not mean 50 percent bro.

Did I ever said that they boasted about having a 50% sale? Im not even believeing its 50% digital. Here is my quote:

"But they did boast about having a record digital sale."

I do give you quoted a sentence with no edit that I changed to avoid confusion.

I said in the UK sales thread that I felt digital sales of Halo could be an anomaly compared to other releases because it's the kind of game a lot of people would buy and not trade in and also anecdotally a lot of people I know did buy it digitally (no sniggering at the back, it wasn't 90% of them or anything but it was more than usual).

I love the fact that MS aren't going to give out hard numbers anymore as it means folk are just going to go round in circles this whole gen saying black is white and white is black and grey is a thing we can't even agree on lol

Sjefen

Only MS knows the numbers, the rest is pure speculation. It will be foerever a secret, unless Phil spils the beans...

I've asked this before but it's impossible to have 400 mil. dolar sales without selling 3-4 million at least..Don't tell mee hardwares because at most , they could sell 300k Halo consoles which make 150 mil. Where are those 250 mil. coming from ?

TheFatOne

I mean, Nirolak can confirm this, as I saw it it seems only consoles to make an example on how Digital does in consoles.

Did I ever said that they boasted about having a 50% sale? Im not even believeing its 50% digital. Here is my quote:

"But they did boast about having a record digital sale."

I do give you quoted a sentence with no edit that I quickly changed to avoid confusion.
Ms boasting about record sales is meaningless without both of those numbers. If the record was 25% and they did 26% then sure you beat the record and are sort of telling the truth. Without those numbers it's just empty PR. Tons of ways to obfuscate the truth when you don't put out numbers. Ms is just playing the PR game and nothing more with that quote.

Chobel

bullshit.gif

I've asked this before but it's impossible to have 400 mil. dolar sales without selling 3-4 million at least..Don't tell mee hardwares because at most , they could sell 300k Halo consoles which make 150 mil. Where are those 250 mil. coming from ?

Sold-in probably.

Top Bottom