• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: Halo 5 digital sales are in line with other AAA game releases

BokehKing

Banned
I don't understand why the casual market is not running out to download a game that bans you when your team mates run into your line of fire?? 🤔🤔

Idk, do you think we will see this pushed to PC now, where that 90% digital will become a reality

With that said, I'm surprised the digital market is STILL only at 20%

It's so convient IMO to purchase games that way

Fat4all

Banned
I'm not saying the 20% number is untrue (I actually think it's a little higher for Halo 5), but this source of information sounds incredibly unreliable. A guy whose company depends on a lack of digital sales says, "believe" twice in that statement. lol, yeah. Sounds like horseshit, buddy.

I mean, do you have any numbers to counter what they are saying?

I mean, do you have any numbers to counter what they are saying?

nothing hard, might not ever. there is this though:

This resulted in a spike in digital sales of Halo 5: Guardians, leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week.

"best ever" just doesnt seem like itd be in line with every other game released.

and again, this is from a guy whos business depends on digital games under performing.

i think h5 did underperform. just not as much as people on gaf wish it did.

Fat4all

Banned
It's like you will fully ignored the first sentence of my post.

Yeah, but your acting like it's some sort of conspiracy for them to say digital sales are normal when their metric is their own sales.

Also, your first sentence included the line "(I actually think it's a little higher for Halo 5)", but where's your evidence for that line of thinking?

Is it just anecdotal?

Caja 117

There is no indication of this from anywhere, outside of anecdotal evidence from Halo fans.

We have either GS to believe, or MS that said Halo 5 Digital was record sales, but, one choose what to believe. Either source have their own interest in mind.

krang

Yeah, but your acting like it's some sort of conspiracy for them to say digital sales are normal when their metric is their own sales.

Also, your first sentence included the line "(I actually think it's a little higher for Halo 5)", but where's your evidence for that line of thinking?

Is it just anecdotal?

I have no numbers. But by the sounds of it, neither does he.

So is the end of Halo?
Don't know whether this was sarcastic or not, but at the end of the day profits are all that matters.

MS was quick to post that H5 made $400M within the first week (I think), and not the sales numbers. It was the most profitable Halo launch ever. All we know is that REQ packs are a guarantee for the next mainlike Halo as well, since it's obviously why the profits were so high despite the relatively low sales numbers.

D3VI0US

Even if a game like Halo or other AAA only sold 20% digital that's still millions of dollars in sales that GS and other retailers lose out on. Next year that digital number might be 25% or 30% and continue to grow from there and no amount of spin will make a difference.

hawk2025

Don't know whether this was sarcastic or not, but at the end of the day profits are all that matters.

MS was quick to post that H5 made $400M within the first week (I think), and not the sales numbers. It was the most profitable Halo launch ever. All we know is that REQ packs are a guarantee for the next mainlike Halo as well, since it's obviously why the profits were so high despite the relatively low sales numbers.

The $400M number is revenue, not profits.

GHG

Ah yes, sales over quality.

The all important thing I keep on hearing about.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd believe it and yet I still believe this is argument fuel all at the same time. I've been digital for the better part of a few years (probably started when I got my desktop upgraded). I'd just attend midnight launch events and I'd never have to go inside during the day.

I'd say with more and more people gaming and how well it can be delivered (digitally) then people will go the easy route. Not saying there still aren't physical buyers ONLY and there's nothing wrong with that. My copy of Tomb Raider (RotTR) is physical that was delivered by Amazon on the day of release. I only went to the store for Until Dawn this year.

I got Halo 5 from Newegg with a coupon for $50. I got the digital version.

I'm not sure if there's less of a stigma with "omg, I'm going digital because I don't want to be seen at a game store because of stereotypes".

GameStop might not like it, but the developer and publishers don't care. I personally like buying digital because I keep my games. I use to just beat it and trade it in. I'd get games for less, but my collection was thin and I felt like I couldn't go back if I wanted to.

I got an email from GS this past week about 3 games that were worth $85. One was Xenoblade, the other was Dark Souls 2 (SotFS), and the other was Until Dawn. I'm not trading those in just for $85. They have told me I've owned Xenoblade for a few years now. I don't plan on selling it.

I assumed that since it was the "Highest Rated Xbox One First Person Exclusive on Metacritic in 2015**", digital sales would be higher.

**Halo 5 is the only exclusive first person shooter on Xbox One in 2015

MisterR

We have either GS to believe, or MS that said Halo 5 Digital was record sales, but, one choose what to believe. Either source have their own interest in mind.

We don't have to take either's word for it. We have lots of other data from other publishers showing digital rates for similar games. Halo may be a tiny percentage higher, but it's not going to be some crazy amount of difference.

Fdkn

That was revenue including hardware bundles and probably sold in to retailers too.

Wouldn't that percentage of digital sales be higher than 20% at launch since there is a number of benefits there with preload in and having early access?

I'm thinking it's a bit higher at launch and then it averages out over time. That also might be why we see all these "90% of my freinds bought digitally“ posts.

Fat4all

Banned
If he had numbers, he wouldn't say "we believe".

He doesn't have the numbers for every other retailer, he can only go off their trends.

If you don't think they don't have internal numbers and are talking with zero info, you're off your rocker.

If he had numbers, he wouldn't say "we believe".

I mean if you want, you can ask him to be more specific. However, unlike you, he does have access to Gamestop's numbers while you don't. For what reason should we believe you over him?

this is their line:

"This resulted in a spike in digital sales of Halo 5: Guardians, leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week."

You didn't answer my question. Let me clarify to make things easier. What game held the previous record? How much did that game sell digitally?

Caja 117

What was the previous record?

this is their line:

"This resulted in a spike in digital sales of Halo 5: Guardians, leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week."

It could be 20% and also breaks the record. Why do we need to choose?

I don't think if it has best opening week for digital it will also stand at 20%, I mean how much was Witcher 3 standing around?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People who play multiplayer aren't going to just trade their copy in. If they're a Halo player then they'll probably keep their copy until God knows when.

If anything it was a wise choice for people who use it as their main game.

Fuchsdh

Of course GameStop would say this. Follow the money.

Yeah, the fact that it's Gamestop saying it makes me immediately question them, even though on the face of it I'd accept that suggestion that H5 didn't have significantly higher digital downloads than other comparable titles.

Frankly while Microsoft massaged the press release to give Halo 5 the biggest sales launch for the franchise, I don't think there was much an an option to reword "best selling digital title ever". The two statements aren't prima facie immediately contradictory, but this statement doesn't pass the bullshit test for me.

krang

He doesn't have the numbers for every other retailer, he can only go off trends.

If you don't think they don't have internal numbers and are talking with zero info, you're off your rocker.

He knows how much GS sold of physical copies. He has no more of an idea of digital sales than the public, by the sounds of it. He doesn't think it's any higher than any other game. No real data, though.

I mean if you want, you can ask him to be more specific. However, unlike you, he does have access to Gamestop's numbers while you don't. For what reason should we believe you over him?

Everyone's jumping on this as if it's somehow concrete evidence. I've seen the general concensus of GAF be a lot more critical of a lot more reliable sources, is all I'm saying.

You make it sound like I think the numbers are wildly different, when the first thing I said on the subject was completely the opposite.

Warxard

Banned
That's silly and isn't how math works.

I love Halo, I bought H5 day one but anyone who thought the series was going to perform as well as H4 are insane. The overall interest in Halo died since that game's release. MCC definitely did the brand strength no favors but what really killed H5 sales wise (at least comparing it to previous titles) is the fact that the stigma the Xbone has is killing any and all success the games will have overseas. Sure people in the US will buy Halo, but EU? Asia? Russia? No.

I'm accepting what it is, and enjoying a pretty great game at the same time.

But hey! It profited well! Revenue is probably more important than actual sales per copy at this point for MS.

Dinjooh

this is their line:

Well... Yea? I mean, I don't see which game would have beat that. That however doesn't mean much when trying to determine the digital ratio of this game.

J_Viper

It's a solid game, mechanically the best it's ever been, but I totally understand why Halo is down in sales. MS really needs to take a step back and evaluate what to do with it.

Also, that whole "BEST XBOX LINEUP EVER" marketing tag from E3 sure turned out to be an enormous failure, no?

Of course GameStop would say this. Follow the money.

I thought people responding to you were in on the joke and just playfully responding with similar stuff.

But, now, after looking and reading more, there are people that actually believe this.

You monster! What have you done!

the guy who's company is under threat from losing tons of business from digital says digital sales were normal and no real figure?

hmmmm.

no reason to believe its 9:1 but no reason doubt this guy a little too. he has no idea what the digital sales are lol

Exactly what I was thinking. How would they even know?. And what do they have to say about EA's forecasts of digital increasing to 40% in 2016?

Do you guys really not think that the biggest videogames retailer in the world has a good grasp on these figures? I wouldn't be surprised at all if they even had contracts with some publishers to share this data, or at least get internal estimates/projections. Heck, maybe they swap digital sales data in exchange for pre-order numbers. But I think it would be naive to assume Gamestop don't know what they're talking about when it comes to this stuff.

Iorv3th

nothing hard, might not ever. there is this though:

"best ever" just doesnt seem like itd be in line with every other game released.

and again, this is from a guy whos business depends on digital games under performing.

i think h5 did underperform. just not as much as people on gaf wish it did.

We don't know if those numbers count physical CE/LE which came with a digital code and not a physical disc.

I don't understand why the casual market is not running out to download a game that bans you when your team mates run into your line of fire?? 🤔🤔

Idk, do you think we will see this pushed to PC now, where that 90% digital will become a reality

With that said, I'm surprised the digital market is STILL only at 20%

It's so convient IMO to purchase games that way

Outside of North America we get utterly fucked with digital pricing, so there is no incentive to buy this way. Here in the UK games can usually be bought for £10-£15 cheaper if you shop around with supermarkets or online retailers than it costs to buy a game digitally.

Caja 117

Well... Yea? I mean, I don't see which game would have beat that. That however doesn't mean much when trying to determine the digital ratio of this game.

I think Witcher did 25%, I believe it was Nirolak that posted that info, So, taking in account that, you can have an optimistic view an say it was around that number as well, if you believe MS that it was the best selling Digital title in its opening week.

20% of Halo 5's week-one sales is still a fucking shit-ton of digital sales.

I think the amount is irrelevant to the topic at hand, rather how much was the percentage of Digital vs Physical.

His comment didn't even answer my question.

Me: What was the previous digital record?
Caja: Here's MS's statement confirming that Halo 5 is the new record holder of digital sales.
Me: Um.... okay? But what was the previous record...?

I think Witcher did 25%, I believe it was Nirolak that posted that info, So, taking in account that, you can have an optimistic view an say it was around that number as well, if you believe MS that it was the best selling Digital title in its opening week.

I believe the record is in terms of the actual number of digital sales, not the percentage. 20% digital rate of Halo 5 is likely greater than 25% digital rate of The Witcher 3, especially when the PS4 version sold amost twice as much as the XBO version in just the US/UK.

Fat4all

Banned
I think the amount is irrelevant to the topic at hand, rather how much was the percentage of Digital vs Physical.

But physical relates exactly to the percentage of the digital. Witcher 3 having a higher digital percentage still means it sells less digitally when compared to a 20% of digital sales from Halo 5 because the the difference in physical sales.

Caja 117

His comment didn't even answer my question.

Me: What was the previous digital record?
Caja: Here's MS's statement confirming that Halo 5 is the new record holder of digital sales.
Me: Um.... okay? But what was the previous record...?

I dont see why the the number of the previous record is relevant, the best we can get is that Witcher 3 did 25%.

Also now this:

Halo 5's digital sales are likely better than what GameStop claimed.

"We especially have a hard time believing that Halo 5 digital units remain in the 20-25% range, as GameStop management suggested on the call," he said. "GameStop gave some other potential reasons for the disconnect between NPD data and Microsoft's post-launch press release, but we don't believe they are sufficient to explain the size of the gap."

"Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting.

So we are back at square one with Halo 5 digital performace, one group say it was 20%, another is claiming close to 50%

Dinjooh

But physical relates exactly to the percentage of the digital. Witcher 3 having a higher digital percentage still means it sells less digitally when compared to a 20% of digital sales from Halo 5 because the the difference in physical sales.

Yuuup.. Witcher 3 isn't gonna come near the statement:

...leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week.

Top Bottom