• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: Halo 5 digital sales are in line with other AAA game releases

nib95

Banned
I know he was being tongue and cheek, but GS has no data on MS's closed digital store. It's all assumptions.

Gamestop also sell digital content and games, so presumably they do have some sort of gauge on these things. They also mentioned they have routine discussions with Publishers regarding these things.

krang

Then enlighten me on how it's in any way better for MS that an enormous retailer shares with the world that Halo didn't do well both digitally AND physically?

We know the sales numbers at physical for 5. It wasn't high. So what if they actually outdid this 20% digital figure - by quite some margin - but in terms of total sales it was still below recent Halo launches. They probably wouldn't feel the need to brag about that, despite digital actually doing rather well.

Bricks and mortar stores have proven time and again that despite the fact they are essentially on borrowed time, they still have a lot of sway in the market. MS needs to keep them happy. So if the digital numbers don't bump up the total sales of Halo 5 to something worth shouting about, why would they feel the need to release the fact that actually digital is encroaching on physical and that they should be worried.

entremet

Gamestop also sell digital content and games, so presumably they do have some sort of gauge on these things.
Bit it's not conclusive data.

nick-young-confused-face.jpg
Do you think MS showing its hand to GS on digital sales? I don't think so, buddy.

Bit it's not conclusive data.

Do you think MS showing its hand to GS on digital sales? I don't think so, buddy.
What reason would MS possibly have for not sharing such information with their biggest retail partner if the sales were above and beyond the norm? In what world would such a victory be something to keep secret?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lol people calling out the gamestop guy for lying. This is an investors call. He cannot lie to them about data such as this. As someone stated above that would be illegal and will cause him lot of problems. Also he said he got his numbers by being in contact with microsoft. So does that mean microsoft lying about their digital sales too? man some of you guys are getting desperate and grasping at things that don't exist lol...

also lol @ the analyst making prediction without any hard data from the source AKA microsoft.

But at the end of the day who cares. Get your games digitally or physical version. who cares? as long as you are getting your enjoyment out of the game shouldn't that be main goal anyway? But anyway yeah i would say 20-25% digital sounds about right. All this is imo ofcourse.

Could not be said enough.

Why do we imagine Microsoft was bothering with trying to implement a way to sell used games in the obtuse DRM era of Xbox One?
With GameStop as a "MS preferred retailer" for game sales. Did you just forget that little nugget?
There's no anti-GS conspiracy going on at MS. Again, why would you want to shit on your biggest retail partner?

This thread is crazy lol

entremet

Don't stop believing I guess.
I actually don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not a Halo fan. I'm just skeptical that MS would provide digital sales numbers to Gamestop.

Remember, MS takes a bigger profit cut for sales from its digital store. That creates a slight adversarial relationship with GameStop, although they're also retail partners. It's complex.

I'm just asking people to look at the incentives at play here.

As I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives,
Each wife had seven sacks,
Each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kits:
Kits, cats, sacks, and wives,
How many of them bought a digital copy of Halo five?

Caja 117

What reason would MS possibly have for not sharing such information with their biggest retail partner if the sales were above and beyond the norm? In what world would such a victory be something to keep secret?

What reason do you think Microsoft would have to intentionally hide or obfuscate these details from Gamestop?

To be fair, I dont think MS let any partner learn about these numbers, and Based on what came from GS it seems they dont.

I actually don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not a Halo fan. I'm just skeptical that MS would provide GS digital sales numbers to Gamestop.

Remember, MS takes a bigger profit cut for sales from its digital store. That creates a slight adversarial relationship with GameStop, although they're also retail partners. It's complex.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
Disbelieving information from someone with much more access to that info so that you can cling to baseless theories is not a good look. Skepticism is fine, but disbelief doesn't lend credence to other, less informed claims.

entremet

I call it fair minded skepticism ;)
Disbelieving information from someone with much more access to that info so that you can cling to baseless theories is not a good look. Skepticism is fine, but disbelief doesn't lend credence to other, less informed claims.
I just don't think their data is complete and authoritative. That's all. I'm not saying they're being deceitful.

maxiell

Gamestop is a huge partner in the marketing efforts of both Microsoft and Sony. Even if a customer purchases digitally, he is still a target of Microsoft/Gamestop marketing efforts. That's why Microsoft shares such information with their retail partners.

I have no idea why people think Halo 5 would do especially well digitally, moreso than other titles. Even by the most optimistic estimates, Halo 5 sales were extremely disappointing for Microsoft and worrying for the franchise.

Tfault

Hmmm, other news outlets are giving a different account

But Doug Creutz of Cowen & Co. said in a note that NPD showed “Halo 5” selling less than half the physical units he had predicted. Squaring this with Microsoft’s disclosure, Mr. Creutz concluded at least half the launch units were sold through digital channels, which aren’t tracked by NPD

Reads as if he's prediction was wrong and it's 'well lets find excuses'... Ok digital fits...

With GameStop as a "MS preferred retailer" for game sales. Did you just forget that little nugget?
There's no anti-GS conspiracy going on at MS. Again, why would you want to shit on your biggest retail partner?

This thread is crazy lol

I'm not really sure where you're going with this.

It's called playing devil's advocate?

For the record, I don't think Microsoft would bother to be forthcoming to GameStop about digital sales numbers, but that's because I don't think Microsoft is bothering to be forthcoming about digital sales numbers at all.

They're not incentivized to do so except to patch up their PR, and even then, they didn't bother to speak with any particular clarity about Halo 5 during the October NPD PR cycle because Halo 5 was the top-selling game of the month in NA. Assuming the reports that Halo 5 underperformed at retail are true, they're certainly not incentivized to tell any of their retail partners (not just GameStop) "Halo 5 actually sold really well, you just didn't see any of those sales."

ZOONAMI

You guys are all forgetting the mobile sales, which sold 900% better than the physical copies. I'm playing halo 5 on my phone right now, and so are all of my phone friends, and all of their phone friends too, times 9 more layers of phone friends.

Caja 117

Gamestop is a huge partner in the marketing efforts of both Microsoft and Sony. Even if a customer purchases digitally, he is still a target of Microsoft/Gamestop marketing efforts. That's why Microsoft shares such information with their retail partners.
I mean if Gamestop get these numbers why use "We believe" and "We are in Understanding"? is like they are making an analysis and not that they have these numbers, and also that MS is very secretive on these numbers, I dont see MS sharing this with anyone out of MS.

LowSignal

It's hard to not buy games at bestbuy when they give you a $10GC on a lot of titles and 20% off all games. I bought Halo 5 digitally because I got a sweet deal from MS.

lol people calling out the gamestop guy for lying. This is an investors call. He cannot lie to them about data such as this. As someone stated above that would be illegal and will cause him lot of problems. Also he said he got his numbers by being in contact with microsoft. So does that mean microsoft lying about their digital sales too? man some of you guys are getting desperate and grasping at things that don't exist lol...

also lol @ the analyst making prediction without any hard data from the source AKA microsoft.

But at the end of the day who cares. Get your games digitally or physical version. who cares? as long as you are getting your enjoyment out of the game shouldn't that be main goal anyway? But anyway yeah i would say 20-25% digital sounds about right. All this is imo ofcourse.

He can't lie but he is sharing an estimate and estimates can be wrong. The analyst is sharing an estimate as well.

ethomaz

Banned
He can't lie but he is sharing an estimate and estimates can be wrong. The analyst is sharing an estimate as well.
I agree.

But the analyst is only saying that because the MS PR didn't add up to know sales... so he is saying digital can be higher than others AAA games.

To be fair I believe more in GameStop than Pachter-like analysts.

pachter-crystal-ball.jpg

rpg_fan

The difference is the analyst is sharing estimates that are completely out of line with industry standards. Hard to believe one game in a series that's what 7 or 8 games long now? is THE industry trend setter.

Isn't it funny this made the rounds so much a company like Game stop actually came out and say it ain't so?

Makes you wonder where it originated and how it spread.

The sales volume so long as it is above a certain threshold also hardly matters when considering trends. It only gets more accurate at them point not radically different.

Gaf>internet<Gaf
Doubt it.

Isn't it funny this made the rounds so much a company like Game stop actually came out and say it ain't so?

Makes you wonder where it originated and how it spread.

Well Microsoft DID talk about digital sales in their "record revenue with careful wording and caveats" press release.

I'd say 20 - 30% digital. Anything higher, or lower, than that and I'd need to see the receipts. Even at 30% the game still under performed. The Halo 3 days are behind us. Just accept it and move on.

hawk2025

Even at 30%, the game would have had first week sales of around a million copies in the US.

There is no scenario where that isn't underwhelming for the series.

Vire

Halo 3 days are over unless Bungie came back and made Halo again.

That being said I'm actually more inclined to believe an analyst rather than a corporate executive who has a vested interest in downplaying the sales of digital games. I kinda love GameStop squirming in their seat ... panicking as digital will slowly eat all their lunch money. What a piece of shit company.

Jumeira

Banned
Halo 3 days are over unless Bungie came back and made Halo again.

That being said I'm actually more inclined to believe an analyst rather than a corporate executive who has a vested interest in downplaying the sales of digital games. I kinda love GameStop squirming in their seat ... panicking as digital will slowly eat all their lunch money. What a piece of shit company.

Nope. H5 quality isnt the problem, go read the OT. For many its one of the better Halo's (easily the best playing). Franchise fatigue might by a valid issue imo.

Bungie arnt the same Bungie that made Halo either.

Halo 5 sales is an interesting discussion I suppose. Its a shame it isnt getting a bigger response. If you own an xb1 I don't know why you wouldn't buy this game. Its the best shooter to come out in a while. Battlefront is a pretty shallow experience. BLOPS3 is ok but Halo 5 just feels far more refined and fresh. It just needs a few more maps and modes. This is my opinion of course.

Vire

Nope. H5 quality isnt the problem, go read the OT. For many its one of the better Halo's (easily the best playing). Franchise fatigue might by a valid issue imo.

Bungie arnt the same Bungie that made Halo either.
I'm not saying it's an issue, I like Halo 5 a lot. I'm saying Bungie games print money and 343 games apparently don't.

See: Destiny's sales.

It was more of a joke than anything since that is never going to happen.

Really?,I've heard the digital cry for everything.
I've never heard the digital cry be so big like this tho. To all of a sudden think halo set some digital saving grave trend is ridiculous. This thread isn't as bad but when the topic first came up..whooo boy. Also wonder why everyone is so quick to jump on battlefront/assassin creed. Haven't seen anybody yell digital for those how come those can't mocked for apparently low sales

watdaeff4

I've never heard the digital cry be so big like this tho. To all of a sudden think halo set some digital saving grave trend is ridiculous. This thread isn't as bad but when the topic first came up..whooo boy. Also wonder why everyone is so quick to jump on battlefront/assassin creed. Haven't seen anybody yell digital for those how come those can't mocked for apparently low sales
Agree with the first part.

AC you aren't seeing the rallying cries as so many people here want it to die

The rallying cry for Battlefront is that everyone is waiting for the Holidays.

Top Bottom