• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: Halo 5 digital sales are in line with other AAA game releases

lol people calling out the gamestop guy for lying. This is an investors call. He cannot lie to them about data such as this. As someone stated above that would be illegal and will cause him lot of problems. Also he said he got his numbers by being in contact with microsoft. So does that mean microsoft lying about their digital sales too? man some of you guys are getting desperate and grasping at things that don't exist lol...

also lol @ the analyst making prediction without any hard data from the source AKA microsoft.

But at the end of the day who cares. Get your games digitally or physical version. who cares? as long as you are getting your enjoyment out of the game shouldn't that be main goal anyway? But anyway yeah i would say 20-25% digital sounds about right. All this is imo ofcourse.

Caja 117

Ms boasting about record sales is meaningless without both of those numbers. If the record was 25% and they did 26% then sure you beat the record and are sort of telling the truth. Without those numbers it's just empty PR. Tons of ways to obfuscate the truth when you don't put out numbers. Ms is just playing the PR game and nothing more with that quote.

I think you are not even getting my point at all and your second reply did got my attention so here is my Point of View:

-MS said it was a record Digital sales, I just take it it did very good at Digital, sold above average, the average been 15%-20%. this is basically what Im looking at, a game that sold above the average, which can be 25%, 26%, 30%, whatever, Im not trying to overhype this numbers, or eat up the PR machine, because percentage without real numbers, are, as you said meaningless.

-The point I quoted was that MS, did indeed boasted about record digital sales, what we dont know if this is in line with the 50% as whoever analyst mentioned it was, if you ask ME what is my opinion, MS is boasting about a game that did very good on digital sales, but not 50% good.

"Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

Someone needs new industry sources.

Pro-tip: No one in the industry outside of Microsoft can know what the Digital attach really was without Microsoft telling them. Anyone inside OR outside the industry saying they know specifics about this are talking purely from their rears.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
But there's chances that some of these games will slowly build momentum and go on to be really good sellers, right? I'm thinking mostly Halo 5, after all the dust settles from the Holiday influx of huge games. I remember reading that, for instance, Little Big Planet for PS3 initially had dismal sales and eventually went on to sell millions. Different games and markets, sure, but I don't see Battlefront or Halo riding off into the sunset anytime soon.

BokehKing

Banned
Just read the article and it seems to have been updated with one of these 'analysts' chiming in with his two cents and they seem to be at odds with what GameStop are saying

[UPDATE] Industry analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company issued a note to investors today after the GameStop call, stating Halo 5's digital sales are likely better than what GameStop claimed.

"We especially have a hard time believing that Halo 5 digital units remain in the 20-25% range, as GameStop management suggested on the call," he said. "GameStop gave some other potential reasons for the disconnect between NPD data and Microsoft's post-launch press release, but we don't believe they are sufficient to explain the size of the gap."

"Industry sources support our belief that Halo 5 digital sales were much closer to half of units than the 20-25% GameStop is suggesting."

Curiouser and curiouser. Who to believe, the lying cheating retailers or the lying cheating analysts lol
Leeh, calm yourself!!!!

jk

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Thought it would be 900% higher :(

Damn no 90% im shocked!!.

No im not

But I know of 9 friends with 9 friends who each bought 9 copies digitally... D:

Nirolak, you can't stop the meme created.

But muh 900% :(

QXAFNK8.gif

:p

I know no less than 15 people who bought Halo 5 digitally.

There's no this report is accurate...

/s

This is gold. :p

Fuchsdh

I mean, I'm sure if close to half of Halo 5's sales were digital, MS would have boasted about that in their press release, no?! Because that's an amazing figure (especially if most other games are ~20%) and would look good in a statement to emphasise the good health of the franchise.

They announced it was the bestselling digital title and a record for their own platform, they can't speak to others'.

Aside from trying to minimize bad press or control spin, there's also virtue in keeping numbers hidden because of competitive reasons.

If MS gives digital percentages it becomes very much easier to guess actual sales numbers with the data we have, and since that would probably still show that despite much better sales than people give credit for it didn't beat the gangbusters sales of Halo 3, I can see why they wouldn't do that too.

lol people calling out the gamestop guy for lying. This is an investors call. He cannot lie to them about data such as this. As someone stated above that would be illegal and will cause him lot of problems. Also he said he got his numbers by being in contact with microsoft. So does that mean microsoft lying about their digital sales too? man some of you guys are getting desperate and grasping at things that don't exist lol...

The wording gives him plenty of room. No one would be able to sue him.

I'm not suggesting any conspiracy, just that I don't blindly trust digital numbers attributed to unnamed sources and related secondhand by a guy with a personal interest in hoping digital never takes off.

For that matter, I also don't trust the analysts who pull whatever b.s. numbers they want for their articles and apparently never lose jobs due to their really bad predictions (witness all those analysts who have been predicting Apple's doom for a decade.)

krang

You're right, he can't lie. But if he doesn't actually know the numbers he sure as shit is going to spin it positively.

I don't understand why the casual market is not running out to download a game that bans you when your team mates run into your line of fire?? 🤔🤔

Idk, do you think we will see this pushed to PC now, where that 90% digital will become a reality

With that said, I'm surprised the digital market is STILL only at 20%

It's so convient IMO to purchase games that way

Used to be all digital, but moving back. I prefer being able to trade in some titles down the line. Also way too much pushback when I try to return a broken digital game. I'd just rather stop by the store and have something that I own. I don't even want to get into my incident with Nintendo where they pulled a couple of games off my account. Just too much hassle.

Caja 117

Anyone got a list of where Battlefront ranks in comparison to other games on XBL?

I'm interested in getting estimates based off the Battlefront numbers we have.

The number changes depending on the time (and what tuna_love said), Yesterday, probably around 6 E.T. this was the rank BOPS3, Fallout 4, BF3, FiFa, DEstiny, Halo 5, Im USA store.

D3VI0US

I've asked this before but it's impossible to have 400 mil. dolar sales without selling 3-4 million at least..Don't tell mee hardwares because at most , they could sell 300k Halo consoles which make 150 mil. Where are those 250 mil. coming from ?

Well there 3 versions of the game, regular, collectors, and legendary with the statue, there's the console, and also all the req pack microtransactions that could contribute to that 400 million number but I'm not sure if they do.

Three

The number changes depending on the time (and what tuna_love said), Yesterday, probably around 6 E.T. this was the rank BOPS3, Fallout3, BF3, FiFa, DEstiny, Halo 5, Im USA store.
I feel there is a mistake here but I'm not entirely sure.

I love the fact that MS aren't going to give out hard numbers anymore as it means folk are just going to go round in circles this whole gen saying black is white and white is black and grey is a thing we can't even agree on lol

It's a shame if they've stopped giving out sales numbers as traditionally they've been pretty good. Unfortunately MS's PR this gen is nowhere near as straightforward as it used to be.

BokehKing

Banned
Used to be all digital, but moving back. I prefer being able to trade in some titles down the line. Also way too much pushback when I try to return a broken digital game. I'd just rather stop by the store and have something that I own. I don't even want to get into my incident with Nintendo where they pulled a couple of games off my account. Just too much hassle.
I understand that, I would trade in a lot of games if I could
But at the same time, it's nice to be out of the habit of
Buy games, don't beat them, trade them in
If I wasn't 100% digital I would have traded in halo 5 a week after release for COD

Now though, there is a better chance I might play it for a day or 2 a few months from now.

Never finished bloodborne or witcher 3, nice to know I'll always have them as fallbacks, finally having a library of games.

nib95

Banned
Just read the article and it seems to have been updated with one of these 'analysts' chiming in with his two cents and they seem to be at odds with what GameStop are saying

[UPDATE] Industry analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company issued a note to investors today after the GameStop call, stating Halo 5's digital sales are likely better than what GameStop claimed.

"We especially have a hard time believing that Halo 5 digital units remain in the 20-25% range, as GameStop management suggested on the call," he said. "GameStop gave some other potential reasons for the disconnect between NPD data and Microsoft's post-launch press release, but we don't believe they are sufficient to explain the size of the gap."

Curiouser and curiouser. Who to believe, the lying cheating retailers or the lying cheating analysts lol

These analysts must be working with Pachter.

It's a shame if they've stopped giving out sales numbers as traditionally they've been pretty good. Unfortunately MS's PR this gen is nowhere near as straightforward as it used to be.
I think if the sales numbers are beyond their initial expectations they would have revealed it. It can only help their image and solidify the halo brand name.

Caja 117

What's the current ranking in US?

is a currently connected, so it changes a lot, After Batlefront got released, the ranking I have seen have gone usually: BLOPS 3 (this game havent moved from 1st place since release), FallOut 4, BF3 and Halo 5. it changes, for the exeption of BLOPS3, and sometime you will even see more players playing NBA2k than Halo 5.

Nouzka

-MS said it was a record Digital sales, I just take it it did very good at Digital, sold above average, the average been 15%-20%. this is basically what Im looking at, a game that sold above the average, which can be 25%, 26%, 30%, whatever, Im not trying to overhype this numbers, or eat up the PR machine, because percentage without real numbers, are, as you said meaningless.

You realize that Halo 5 could have sold 20% digital and some other game 25% digital, but Halo 5 could still sold more digital copies overall? I'm pretty sure Microsoft said it was best selling XB1 game digitally, not biggest digital ratio wise.

I personally think it has sold well digitally, but still same ratio wise compared to other games.

Some of these posts are really funny. A lot of "but what if..."

Halo 5 under performed. Get over it! It still sold well; just not as good as other games.

ethomaz

Banned
So analysts doing damage control.

Of course you can't explain the MS PR and real sales gap because the PR was just a spin machine with sold-in, hardware, microtransactions, toys, paper, taxi, everything MS can put in.

Game4life

Banned
2 out of 3 friends who own an Xbox One have bought Halo 5 digitally. Gamestop should stop lying and recognize the digital revolution that Halo 5 is bringing.

Caja 117

You realize that Halo 5 could have sold 20% digital and some other game 25% digital, but Halo 5 could still sold more digital copies overall? I'm pretty sure Microsoft said it was best selling XB1 game digitally, not biggest digital ratio wise.

I personally think it has sold well digitally, but still same ratio wise compared to other games.

Im aware, and the wording even says "in the release week" So we are not sure if its the best selling Digital game overall. I do disagree about your opinion, as I think this game ratio was very good, Above 25%, perhaps at 30%. this goes more in line on factor like preload and that MP heavy games are good candidates to buy as digital, especially when you have an established fanbase.

I know he was being tongue and cheek, but GS has no data on MS's closed digital store. It's all assumptions.
GameStop said:
We are in constant discussions with all publishers and platform-holders and we believe that all major full-game titles launched in this quarter were in line with previously announced digital download levels
GS has no data
GameStop said:
constant discussions with all publishers
nick-young-confused-face.jpg

Top Bottom