• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop PS4 preorder reserve slots more than double of XB1?

When I went to place my pre order earlier the employee was being informed that the amount of PS4 they were getting were being expanded to 40-50.

IF this comes through, it will be the first time I didn't have to try and line up somewhere to get a launch console. I feel like I should take some water and booze to the poor people in line...in November.. in Denver. Last time it was 0 degrees.

for the Wii launch I as a kitchen manager at a Baker Street Pub. I had the staff made a chafing dish of scrambled eggs and tortillas for the people lined up outside the Gamestop.

IF this comes through, it will be the first time I didn't have to try and line up somewhere to get a launch console. I feel like I should take some water and booze to the poor people in line...in November.. in Denver. Last time it was 0 degrees.

for the Wii launch I as a kitchen manager at a Baker Street Pub. I had the staff made a chafing dish of scrambled eggs and tortillas for the people lined up outside the Gamestop.

Same here man, never could get a preorder in. Never got lucky at launch either. Too slow on the draw for the online stuff and not dedicated enough to sleep on the streets all night. I'm gonna laugh at people in lines and be so smug.

Zok310

Banned
Wall Street Jurnal got an article up on PS4 demand exceeding Sony's expectations.

"Sony (NYSE:SNE): Sony has raised its initial internal sales estimates for the PlayStation 4, based on early indications that demand will be stronger than though previously. Now, one of the largest concerns among managementis the supply necessary to meet said demand. With a $100 premium over the PS4 and tighter restrictions on game sharing, Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT) Xbox seems to be pushing more gamers Sony’s way."

You will need a wsj sub to finish the article.

Dead

well not really...yet
just anecdotal evidence, but one particular store I know has almost more than 3 times the amount of PS4s already pre-ordered, compared to xbone

I went to BB and Gamestop near work. The situation here wasn't as extreme as some of the other posts:

Gamestop had 19 PS4s and 15 XBones. Said they would take as many preorders as possible on both.
BB wouldn't elaborate on how many they had, only saying there wasn't a rush of people preordering and they had maybe 20 total. They also said they would take as many preorders as possible and no set amount was allocated to the store.

This is downright crazy.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_11?tag=viglink129408-20

The "Launch PS4" is currently in the #1 spot for Amazon's "Best Sellers in Video Games. This is followed by the Xbone. Not surprising, right? Well, the kicker is that the "Launch PS4" has been unpreorderable ("Currently unavailable") since some time the day following the Sony conference. Meaning that number in the #1 spot has been static since then. Amazon received enough preorders that they split the PS4 preorder section into "Launch" and "Standard," the difference being that people who are preordering now, or who have been the last few days, aren't guaranteed to get their systems launch day. Interestingly, the "Standard" model PS4 is in the #3 position.

Now since Amazon didn't create a split for Xbone, you could take this to mean MS dedicated a tremendous amount of retail to Amazon, however, since the preorders for Xbone still haven't passed that static amount for the "Launch PS4, " that seems pretty unlikely. (Unless amazon is aggregating the "Launch" and "Standard" sales under #1, but I don't see why they'd have the "Standard" on the list at all in that case.) I was kind of thinking Xbone was going to sell really well in the US regardless of what happened, but maybe that's not the case. PS4 must be doing crazy preorder numbers. I know Sony revised their earnings specifically because they stated preorders far exceeded their expectations. Crazy stuff.

casmith07

My store was processing a clearly uninformed Xbox preorder today. When I started talking about the DRM, both employees cut me off, with one guy saying "it's the same as Microsoft, just worded differently" and the other guy saying "yeah PS4 still requires a code to play every game."

I wasn't shocked. But I also didn't want to spend the time it would take to convert the poor sap that just signed up for an elaborate rental program.

Oh, and I preordered another PS4 for my brother. He said I barely made it into the launch day allocation.

A quick look on twitter seems to confirm it, at least in some locations anyway.

Tyler ‏@OhSnapItsTy

Talked to my friend who works at a Gamestop outside Cinci and he said that within a day he had 28 PS4 preorders and 6 Xbox One preorders.

Stealth ‏@Stealth____

My local gamestop is about 5-1 on ps4 vs xbox one preorders now

Vegito ‏@SonVegito

//So many PS4 preorders at Gamestop today it's not even funny. I hate when my boss makes me answer the phones. Almost raged at customers lol

graywolf323

My store was processing a clearly uninformed Xbox preorder today. When I started talking about the DRM, both employees cut me off, with one guy saying "it's the same as Microsoft, just worded differently" and the other guy saying "yeah PS4 still requires a code to play every game."

I wasn't shocked. But I also didn't want to spend the time it would take to convert the poor sap that just signed up for an elaborate rental program.

Oh, and I preordered another PS4 for my brother. He said I barely made it into the launch day allocation.

not surprising sadly, there are a lot of schills/fanboys spreading FUD about the PS4's DRM

Suirrad

I jus left GameStop and put a bill on the PS4. While the guy rang it up I noticed a paper with two halves: the top Had 40 boxes to check off for ps4 preorders. 30 were highlighted and all ps4 preorders shown with a X. By this list, I was number 19 to preorder.

The bottom half was for ps4 controllers which the guy told me would be hard to find around launch. There were about 12 Xs for preordered controllers.

I reassured with the guy if get mine on day one so I'm happy there. Not sure if this helps to figure the amount of stock will be around launch.

ptuck874

saw on cnbc today, they had segment with lady from ms, getting into store within a store with best buy to sell all things windows (including xbone) that also might be why, more going to best buy?

At my local GS they had 10 Xbox One pre-orders and like 40 PS4.

They said they were getting more pre-orders, but apparently it is more of both.

It probably won't be 4 to 1, but it might end up being 2 or 3 to one.

I called the GameStop by my house today to see if I could still pre-order there (got mine at Best Buy atm, but was thinking of switching). I'm assuming I was speaking to a manager but when I asked if I could still pre-order the PS4, he started chuckling and said something like "oh ya, but you're going to want to come in and do that now because you probably won't get one if you wait." We had a conversation for a few minutes and he mentioned something about being allowed to take a lot more pre-orders for the PS4 than the Xbox One and that they've received a ton of PS4 pre-orders so far.

imperium

Interesting, surprised the numbers are so slanted in Sony’s favor. Is the demand for the PS4 actually that much higher or are they being artificially inflated by low allotment numbers for the XB1?

Shady859

Interesting stuff gotta pick up a game in the morning so i'll try to remember to ask. I know when I ordered mine tuesday morning she said they have plenty more to deliver on release day. I arrived about 30 minutes before they usually open and thought I was gonna be 1st but they had opened at 9am so I got #6 and they were not even supposed to be opened yet so take that FWIW. The guy in front of me was reserving a Xbone so those lasted at least a day. Florence KY Mall Road store.

casmith07

Interesting, surprised the numbers are so slanted in Sony’s favor. Is the demand for the PS4 actually that much higher or are they being artificially inflated by low allotment numbers for the XB1?

From my understanding, the demand is higher. Gamers have been watching this very closely.

Jarnet87

I can only imagine the big chains like Best Buy/Target/Walmart are going to get a high quantity of PS4's based off what seems to be most Gamestop stores getting anywhere from 18-25 consoles. I probably could just go to my local target the night/morning it releases and pick one up with waiting that long (at least in my area). Xbox seems like a different story for now. Gamestops could get more projected quantity over the next few month or maybe they are giving the big retailers more systems.

BigDug13

You're surprised? The PS4 "game sharing" video by both the Japan and US Sony CEO's has several million views already in a couple days.

Wow, if the PS4 ends up with a higher install base initially in NA, this could affect the whole next-gen landscape, it's surprising how much different this is from when the PS3 launches.

Gammacide

My Gamestop told me today that they just got another allotment of them for preorder.
Mine too. My friend that works at the one near me said that on top of the original 30 they went through they were getting another 60 more allocated to them. Pretty nice demand.

Wow, if the PS4 ends up with a higher install base initially in NA, this could affect the whole next-gen landscape, it's surprising how much different this is from when the PS3 launches.

I think the status quo on how the industry operate would remain intact. PS4 would dominate though. PS4 should easily beat out the Xbox One in Europe. Japan is a mystery, but is heavily steered towards handhelds so it's not as relevant as it use to be.

Big-E

If the supply issues are the real deal, what the hell could MS do to counter this? If Sony launches first too than this could get pretty ugly real fast.

coldfoot

Banned
If the supply issues are the real deal, what the hell could MS do to counter this? If Sony launches first too than this could get pretty ugly real fast.
Improve yields so they can make more Xboxes. Despite the lower demand, I still think the Xbone will sell out because MS won't be able to produce many of them.

Leucrota

Called my GameStop yesterday and they didn't have any PS4 preorders available, then today I called on a whim and they did.

Really thinking about taking in my XBox and all games and putting down a decent preorder amount before the bottom falls out on 360's price, but I won't be able to game until ~November then...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Called my GameStop yesterday and they didn't have any PS4 preorders available, then today I called on a whim and they did.

Really thinking about taking in my XBox and all games and putting down a decent preorder amount before the bottom falls out on 360's price, but I won't be able to game until ~November then...

I don't think the bottom will fallout quite as bad, as neither the PS4 of the Xbone have backwards compatibility. I plan on keeping my PS3 for awhile. No idea what i'm doing with the 360.

Leucrota

I don't think the bottom will fallout quite as bad, as neither the PS4 of the Xbone have backwards compatibility. I plan on keeping my PS3 for awhile. No idea what i'm doing with the 360.

They were going to give me about $60 for the console. I imagine with all of my games to trade in as well, about 10 or 20, I will be able to cover the hundred dollars.

Might as well keep the 360 til I get more financial stability (a job!) at least so I know for a TRUTHFACT I will be able to cover the rest at launch and finish the games I haven't on 360.

SRTtoZ

Thats what I did. I got $175 for my 360 Slim.

ElfArmy177

How screwed do you think MS will be if sony comes out of the gate first, with more consoles (twice as many in some cases), with higher customer satisfaction (at this point), and launch in Oct.. before the xbox, and more countries.

I really do feel like this will be a knock out win for Sony. Unless they fuck up bad, there is no reason they wont be ahead of the game right off the bat.

Disclaimer: Im getting both, and own both 360 and Ps3 - no fanboy... though I do prefer sony exclusives to MS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
XBox One packaging will probably be twice as big as PS4, with the console size difference and Kinect. Stores won't ever be able to display as many Xbox units and I wonder if that could affect storage and orders as well.

Was at Gamestop tonight to pickup The Last of Us late night launch. I was told Xbone was capped at 20 but PS4 was well above that. The guy said that many times they aren't given more reservations until they sell out of them first though. So if they sell 20 they might get another 20 from MS.

USC-fan

Banned
How do you tell what number you are? Just have ask?

I was there when they opened and there was only one guy there beside me. I pay the whole amount and the guy said I will surely get at launch. I didn't ask what number I was then... can I just stop by and they can look it up?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Get a cheap second hand PS3 and sign up to PS+

Mrbob

I'm surprised at the huge allocation differences. Sony must seem fairly confident they will be able to have a significant amount of consoles for launch. I hope they aren't blowing smoke to GameStop so they can ramp up the total number of pre orders without having to deliver on day one.

Preordered a PS4 today at Gamestop, and the guy said they had been getting a lot more preorders for PS4 than Xbone but wouldn't give me exact numbers. He did say that there were people coming in trading their XBOX 360's towards PS4s though, and pointed to two of them on the floor(a slim and regular one) that had just been traded in toward PS4's. I was pretty surprised by this. Wouldn't think MS fanboys would be jumping ship that quickly, and seeing as its still about 6 months tell launch, what would they game on?

Top Bottom