• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Expo: hands on impressions/media of Project Morpheus (Sony VR)

Freeman

Banned
This is right now the main reason I favor the rift. This might sound stupid, but I was looking forward to something like a virtual observatory where you could lay down and take it all in, different positions, etc. Seems like you'll have to be in a pretty good angle of the camera. Makes sense now though why there's a lightbar on the controller for full tracking.
The Rift uses a camera as well.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I just don't want to hear fanboy like comments taking sides. To me, this needs as much support universally as possible so both Oculus and Morpheus can be a success.

Well imo, that is going to be something that we will have to accept. As long as attention is on these devices, and gamers are in a sense 'at each others throats' on which is better (even though we know the rift DK2 or any future iterations will likely be better), is good for the VR entertainment industry. That will spawn more innovation/creation.

This is a big deal imo and i'm glad this is happening.

This is right now the main reason I favor the rift. This might sound stupid, but I was looking forward to something like a virtual observatory where you could lay down and take it all in, different positions, etc. Seems like you'll have to be in a pretty good angle of the camera. Makes sense now though why there's a lightbar on the controller for full tracking.

Dude, the Rift uses a camera as well.....
Wat

Nzyme32

Both Morpheus and Rift use cameras for positional tracking. If you are lying down, positional tracking is not completely neccessary. Gyroscope and accelerometer will provide head tracking for morpheus in that position whilst the rift also has a magnetometer although I'm not sure on the specifics of if it helps more at all with head tracking or positional tracking

ewwwww what is this garbage.

The limitations of where we're at tech-wise in the consumer market. Positional tracking without a camera is very difficult (and expensive) to do. People would likely be paying much more for a non-camera tracking setup. According to the Oculus guys, positional tracking is a serious R&D undertaking that fields in military and medical invest lots in. Gonna be some time till we see a cost effective consumer solution that doesn't need a camera.

ewwwww what is this garbage.
The_Amazing_Spider_Man_2_40813.jpg

The Future

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Are you fucking serious??

Next you'll complain about not being able to play 120fps lag free online from across the globe...

LOL, it's not even remotely the same thing. Though camera technology has come a long way, lighting and positioning tend to be a problem despite the latest technology with things like this.

Both Morpheus and Rift use cameras for positional tracking. If you are lying down, positional tracking is not completely neccessary. Gyroscope and accelerometer will provide head tracking for morpheus in that position whilst the rift also has a magnetometer although I'm not sure on the specifics of if it helps more at all with head tracking or positional tracking

I agree with that, but that's basically just one of the concepts, hopefully it ends up working out the way I hoped though.

Nzyme32

LOL, it's not even remotely the same thing. Though camera technology has come a long way, lighting and positioning tend to be a problem despite the latest technology with things like this.

Lighting wise for morpheus, they are fairly bright and the cameras are tuned specifically to look for that frequency of light I assume, similar to ps move. Oculus opted for infra red which should be ok in most lighting conditions.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It basically comes off as you complaining tech isn't as advantanced as you want it to be, regardless of what is technically feasible or affordable. it comes off as ignorant.
Might as well ignore the limits of physics while you're at it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sony at hands on event : no consumer product in 2014

oh no :(, I definitely let myself get too hyped for this. Any chance rift drops this year? If not I might have to give in and buy the next kit, I need to try this out.

Lighting wise for morpheus, they are fairly bright and the cameras are tuned specifically to look for that frequency of light I assume, similar to ps move. Oculus opted for infra red which should be ok in most lighting conditions.

Isn't it similar to the moe technology on the ps3? If so that had all sorts of calibration issues, which ultimately drove me away from it.

syko de4d

oh no :(, I definitely let myself get too hyped for this. Any chance rift drops this year? If not I might have to give in and buy the next kit, I need to try this out.
At CES they said they want to get the consumer version out as soon as possible after the dev kit2 but this could still mean alot.
If not, alot of people will buy Dev Kit2 ...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I know who Carmack is and I respect what he's done, but he's not gonna come out and praise the thing. It's like Shu walking into a bone conference and singing its praises.

It basically comes off as you complaining tech isn't as advantanced as you want it to be, regardless of what is technically feasible or affordable. it comes off as ignorant.
Might as well ignore the limits of physics while you're at it.

You went from 1 extreme to the next there. If somebody complains about 60 fps, does that mean they're pissed it's not 240? No, I don't give a damn about that. I just missed the part where the rift uses cameras. I've seen a ton of videos and never noticed it, what are home users currently using for a camera? Does the dev kit come with it?

DieH@rd

Banned
oh no :(, I definitely let myself get too hyped for this. Any chance rift drops this year?

Sadly no. There is no chance that they will release anything in 2014 when DK2 is launching in July. They will maybe announce release date toward the end of the year, spring 2015 at the earliest.

I just missed the part where the rift uses cameras. I've seen a ton of videos and never noticed it, what are home users currently using for a camera? Does the dev kit come with it?

OR DK doesn't use a camera but DK2 does.

A camera is necessary right now because no matter how good the sensors are on the headset itself, errors pile up and will need to be recalibrated. What the camera does is recalibrating the headset for you in realtime.

Search up dead reckoning for more info.

Sooo have we gotten a direct comparison between Morpheus and Rift DK2 yet? Or just more tweets saying "rift" when comparing with no indication which version it is they're referring to.

I say about 10% chance of retail OR units before Christmas

Isn't it similar to the moe technology on the ps3? If so that had all sorts of calibration issues, which ultimately drove me away from it.
PS4 camera is better than the PSEye, plus many later move games apparently improved on the calibration issue

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This works perfectly with the shark gif above.

Any explanation why? You guys sound like a bunch of butthurts who can't take any criticism whatsoever. I just had different expectations, relax, people are allowed to have opinions. I don't see how it's that different from the psmove technology, hell the first prototype is a move controller slapped on a personal viewer.

Sadly no. There is no chance that they will release anything in 2014 when DK2 is launching in July. They will maybe announce release date toward the end of the year, spring 2015 at the earliest.

I'll probably grab the DK2. Is there a thread about it, or is it all in the occulus OT?

Seanspeed

Banned
So far, nothing but very basic, one or two sentence tweets.

Would like to hear more about the impression of the demos themselves. I don't expect the VR headset to be anything revolutionary that we haven't already seen, but the tech demos and games themselves can still be extremely exciting to hear about.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Probably a lot better than that. I don't believe Carmac anymore since he always puts down Sony hardware and later is found to be overly pessimistic.

They're a bunch of tech demos tossed together for a show, doesn't seem like graphics were the priority anyways.

hohoXD123

I know who Carmack is and I respect what he's done, but he's not gonna come out and praise the thing. It's like Shu walking into a bone conference and singing its praises.

You went from 1 extreme to the next there. If somebody complains about 60 fps, does that mean they're pissed it's not 240? No, I don't give a damn about that. I just missed the part where the rift uses cameras. I've seen a ton of videos and never noticed it, what are home users currently using for a camera? Does the dev kit come with it?
It's not, this is different to your standard console war, just look at what Oculus said about Sony VR prior to the reveal. This is a highly unpredictable area which may result in both companies losing a lot of money, a big company like Sony getting more people interested in VR is a benefit to Oculus too.

Any explanation why? You guys sound like a bunch of butthurts who can't take any criticism whatsoever. I just had different expectations, relax, people are allowed to have opinions. I don't see how it's that different from the psmove technology, hell the first prototype is a move controller slapped on a personal viewer.

-_-

He was referring to your misspelling of move to 'moe.

Moe is a Japanese slang, which basically is an exclamation to something cute.

Like a blushing shark shouting senpai.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I don't have a devkit, but remember that OR1 doesn't claim to track absolute position, and it can't even track rotation on all 3 axis if I remember correctly.

I'm not even sure a self contained system that accurately tracks position, rotation and linear acceleration exists, regardless of price. It may not be physically possible to prevent the data from degrading over time without an external reference.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I say about 10% chance of retail OR units before Christmas

PS4 camera is better than the PSEye, plus many later move games apparently improved on the calibration issue

Watching the dragon video, when he points the move out, watch the bow on the screen. It spazzes out multiple times, just saying.

So far, nothing but very basic, one or two sentence tweets.

Would like to hear more about the impression of the demos themselves. I don't expect the VR headset to be anything revolutionary that we haven't already seen, but the tech demos and games themselves can still be extremely exciting to hear about.

This is a situation Twitter is not friendly to with its character limit. I want to read detailed descriptions, a narrative if you will, of what people have seen. I'm sure we'll see plenty from the major outlets throughout the day though.

StuBurns

Banned
The graphics comparisons are always going to be odd. I actually think depending on what he means, he's either low balling it, or being overly kind.

In terms of the raw drawn image, I think the PS4 is going to produce much better looking VR games than basically Rage, which I imagine he's primarily referencing. But in the context of it being an inch from your eye, to have a comparable impact, you're going to need far better looking games than I imagine the PS4 is going to be able to produce in VR.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't have a devkit, but remember that OR1 doesn't claim to track absolute position, and it can't even track rotation on all 3 axis if I remember correctly.

I'm not even sure a self contained system that accurately tracks position, rotation and linear acceleration exists, regardless of price. It may not be physically possible to not have the data degrade over time.

I never thought it did track absolute position, all that really mattered to me at the end of the day was headtracking. Body tracking is not important to me, since without one of those treadmills, or a game on rails, it's mostly useless.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The graphics comparisons are always going to be odd. I actually think depending on what he means, he's either low balling it, or being overly kind.

In terms of the raw drawn image, I think the PS4 is going to produce much better looking VR games than basically Rage, which I imagine he's primarily referencing. But in the context of it being an inch from your eye, to have a comparable impact, you're going to need far better looking games than I imagine the PS4 is going to be able to produce in VR.

I don't care much for the visual comparisons as far as HW but how it actually works. It seems like it's very immerssive so they're on the right track as people need to really remember that is not final at all before casting it off or knocking it compared to Rift.

I'm not even sure a self contained system that accurately tracks position, rotation and linear acceleration exists, regardless of price. It may not be physically possible to prevent the data from degrading over time without an external reference.

I wanna know how much it'd roughly be to have the tracking setup Valve used for their prototype. People were able to walk all around the room they had it set up in, complete freedom of movement. I know there were QR code looking printouts all over the walls but no idea where the cameras were if any were used or how it really works. I would totally devote a room to VR (if I had a spare one).

Alienous

I hope Polyphony are working on a Gran Turismo VR for the PS4, optimized for Morpheus.

Doesn't need the biggest track selection, or car amount. Doesn't need to look as good as DRIVECLUB, even. Just make it an awesome showcase of how hard you can push the PS4 in VR. Able took around a car as you race. Seriously, that would be a device seller. Almost the perfect kind of thing to launch with, where you aren't considering complicated movement.

Get on it, Sony.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I hope Polyphony are working on a Gran Turismo VR for the PS4, optimized for Morpheus.

Doesn't need the biggest track selection, or car amount. Does need to look as good as DRIVECLUB, even. Just make it an awesome showcase of how hard you can push the PS4 in VR. Look around a car as you race. Seriously, that would be a device seller.

Get on it, Sony.

What's that?

StuBurns

Banned
I don't care much for the visual comparisons as far as HW but how it actually works. It seems like it's very immerssive so they're on the right track as people need to really remember that is not final at all before casting it off or knocking it compared to Rift.
I think even the Rift DK1 is amazing. I don't think people are going to be disappointed by what this delivers at all when they use it. It's fully capable of blowing heads open and having them spew lava everywhere.

Top Bottom