• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
bill0527 said:
Goddamnit....

I just read the digital bits review.

I've made half a dozen posts in this thread slamming the changes and swearing I can't support this. I supported the 1997 SE changes, and was not happy about it. I supported the 2004 DVD changes with my money, and was not happy about it.

I swore I would not support even further changes with this blu-ray set. Must..resist. I really want to hear the sound quality cuz I've got the setup for it :(
The Space Depth Charge from Episode 2 fucking rocked my world

FyreWulff

bill0527 said:
Goddamnit....

I just read the digital bits review.

I've made half a dozen posts in this thread slamming the changes and swearing I can't support this. I supported the 1997 SE changes, and was not happy about it. I supported the 2004 DVD changes with my money, and was not happy about it.

I swore I would not support even further changes with this blu-ray set. Must..resist. I really want to hear the sound quality cuz I've got the setup for it :(

Does your library lend out Blu Rays? Could just do that, since you've technically paid for them already.

bill0527

FyreWulff said:
Does your library lend out Blu Rays? Could just do that, since you've technically paid for them already.

I know this is going to sound shitty of me, but I don't think I've been inside a library in 15 years. I don't know if I've even got a local library.

bill0527 said:
I know this is going to sound shitty of me, but I don't think I've been inside a library in 15 years. I don't know if I've even got a local library.

Really? I love the library..but I have a few friends that are like "fucking library how does it work?"

kunonabi

I'm lucky since I honestly love all 6 films even ROTJ as though I don't like it as much as the others. My original concern about the blu ray was just some severe complaints leveled at the transfer. I'm not a techie by any stretch but I didn't want some hack job. It sounds like the OT could have been better but ROTS is supposed to be impeccable and AOTC just below it. Basically I loved the movies when I watched them on worn out beta tapes,vhs, and DVD so I'm sure I'll love them on Blu ray. I would have hoped that they had some branching options though. I would love to have the scene where Anakin meets Padme's parents instead of the flea surfing scene and Han shooting first but I'll deal.

Medalion

Banned
I am not too impressed with AotC video quality wise so far and I am almost at the end, I am at the Jedi Arena battle... I hope ROTS is the winner

bill0527

JetBlackPanda said:
Really? I love the library..but I have a few friends that are like "fucking library how does it work?"

Yeah that would be me.

Last time I was in a library they had the card catalog system where they had massive rows of index cards you had to sift through to find some cryptic series of numbers which were assigned to each and every book. So after you went through this giant pain in the ass and found this unending sequence of numbers, you would walk through aisles and aisles searching for the aisle that started with the first 3 numbers of your sequence. Then you'd look through a dozen shelves trying to find that book only to see that its been checked out.

I would certainly hope they're doing it different in the digital age, but back when I stopped going to the library, I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

The last set was 2004 for the OT so it has been 7 years. I just paid a little over $80 for the new set so i basically have a $12 a year Star Wars subscription.

zedge

Watched episode IV. Awesome, looks great and sounds awesome. Love the packaging of this set, also got the limited edition lithographs from buying at Future Shop. Don't care about the changes etc, love Star Wars period. I am in nerd heaven.

Just watched A New Hope with my wife. When did they change the sound you hear with the very first appearance of Obi Wan?

Loved the way it orginally sounded, and immediately thought the new sound was bizarre. :|

BruiserBear said:
Just watched A New Hope with my wife. When did they change the sound you hear with the very first appearance of Obi Wan?

Loved the way it orginally sounded, and immediately thought the new sound was bizarre. :|

Yeah that was one of the changes that people were in an uproar over, but the Return of the jedi addition was the biggest.

Medalion

Banned
zedge said:
Watched episode IV. Awesome, looks great and sounds awesome. Love the packaging of this set, also got the limited edition lithographs from buying at Future Shop. Don't care about the changes etc, love Star Wars period. I am in nerd heaven.
I have those Lithographs too, nice piece of nerd collectible but I am not too bothered.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ugh. I can't believe some of you guys. You whine and complain about the terrible changes Lucas makes, then you crumble at the thought of not having the movies on Blu-Ray, even though they're SUBSTANTIALLY WORSE MOVIES than they were twenty years ago, and line up to give Lucas another 80 dollars of your money.

You don't get to complain any more. Because the next time you ask yourself why Lucas keeps making stupid changes to these movies, you'll already know the answer.

Because of you. Because when all is said and done, you're casting the only vote that counts, the one from your wallet, and it's for Lucas's terrible revisionist bullshit.

Salmonax

Htown said:
You whine and complain about the terrible changes Lucas makes, then you crumble at the thought of not having the movies on Blu-Ray, even though they're SUBSTANTIALLY WORSE MOVIES than they were twenty years ago, and line up to give Lucas another 80 dollars of your money.
Some of us are fine without buying. And regardless of some hardcore fans who complain and then buy, I think there are far more who don't give a shit about changes one way or the other. It's Star Wars no matter what to them.

FLEABttn

Banned
The money I was going to spend on the bluray boxset instead bought me the CAV Definitive Laserdisc Collection boxset.

I'll bite on a newer format when I get a new transfer of the OT without the SE and beyond enhancements.

FyreWulff

bill0527 said:
Yeah that would be me.

Last time I was in a library they had the card catalog system where they had massive rows of index cards you had to sift through to find some cryptic series of numbers which were assigned to each and every book. So after you went through this giant pain in the ass and found this unending sequence of numbers, you would walk through aisles and aisles searching for the aisle that started with the first 3 numbers of your sequence. Then you'd look through a dozen shelves trying to find that book only to see that its been checked out.

I would certainly hope they're doing it different in the digital age, but back when I stopped going to the library, I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

When I started work at the library in 2002, all the cards from the card catalog were already being used as ID tags for the inter-branch transfer bags, and it was all completely digital for book search. You can probably go sign up and just reserve it online.

Medalion

Banned
I think the reason ROTS looks so good is because everything about the movie seemed specifically created for this blu-ray than any of the other movies seriously, it's about as native as it can get.

Anth0ny

Htown said:
Ugh. I can't believe some of you guys. You whine and complain about the terrible changes Lucas makes, then you crumble at the thought of not having the movies on Blu-Ray, even though they're SUBSTANTIALLY WORSE MOVIES than they were twenty years ago, and line up to give Lucas another 80 dollars of your money.

You don't get to complain any more. Because the next time you ask yourself why Lucas keeps making stupid changes to these movies, you'll already know the answer.

Because of you. Because when all is said and done, you're casting the only vote that counts, the one from your wallet, and it's for Lucas's terrible revisionist bullshit.

To be fair, I don't recognize most of these people talking about their new Star Wars blu rays. In other words... they weren't whining and complaining, and they always intended on picking these up.

I'm fine with them. But I'm disappointed in those who cracked and picked it up just because OMG IT'S STAR WARS ON TEH BLU RAY

Here's something hopefully someone can answer.

Have they improved the audio issues in Episode 4?

When they released the DVDs, they remastered the audio but one problem is they didn't have good source for some of the scenes so you'll hear the audio degrade in between lines. For example, watch the scene where Tarkin asks Leia to reveal the location of the rebel base. Listen to their voices and you'll hear them change in quality throughout that scene. Some will be clean and loud, others will sound a but muffled.

Did they remaster the audio here and improve it? Another example is the scene right after on the Falcon. Listen to Luke and Han and you'll hear their quality change throughout the scene.

BruiserBear said:

Depends on the iteration. They changed it for this release, but it's the second time it has been changed. It was changed in the SE from the original too.

i know this has been spoken about a million times already, but making darth vader say "nooo" when he threw the emperor down that pit is the worst change to the trilogy ever. even worse than greedo shooting first or superimposing hayden. the most important part of the entire trilogy is now condescendingly spelled out for... who exactly? who would not understand that darth vader wanted to save luke?!?!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The new CGI Yoda in TPM looks really good. The mouth movements are more in line with the original puppet and overall he seems very natural.

RotS looks phenomenal.

Medalion

Banned
Anth0ny said:
To be fair, I don't recognize most of these people talking about their new Star Wars blu rays. In other words... they weren't whining and complaining, and they always intended on picking these up.

I'm fine with them. But I'm disappointed in those who cracked and picked it up just because OMG IT'S STAR WARS ON TEH BLU RAY
So shiny!!!

C3PO in ROTS

Marty Chinn said:
Depends on the iteration. They changed it for this release, but it's the second time it has been changed. It was changed in the SE from the original too.
Wow. Old man Lucas needs to chill the fuck out with this shit.

Kettch

I think it's amusing that there are so many people who were fine with the SE changes (or grew up on them) that are now complaining about these changes. I'm sure you guys will get some enjoyment out of the next set being released too, when the people who were happy with this release start complaining.

Salmonax

StudioTan said:
The new CGI Yoda in TPM looks really good. The mouth movements are more in line with the original puppet and overall he seems very natural.
This is definitely one change that makes sense. As much as I love Empire and ROTJ's puppet Yoda, TPM Yoda looked ridiculous.

Just finished ESB, about to hit up ROTJ and do the prequels tomorrow. I think the only thing that bums me about the release is no digital copies. That would've been nice, but it's already a nice set for the price.

Kettch said:
I think it's amusing that there are so many people who were fine with the SE changes (or grew up on them) that are now complaining about these changes. I'm sure you guys will get some enjoyment out of the next set being released too, when the people who were happy with this release start complaining.

I'm probably going to start another thread on this, but not all changes are bad IMO. I don't mind him cleaning stuff up or making something look better that he couldn't before. What I mind is when he changes the content to change the meaning of a scene. For example:

Good:

Falcon taking off from Mos Eisley
New X-Wing CGI panning at the Battle of Yavin

Bad:

Greedo shooting first
Vader yelling "Noooooooo"

Medalion

Banned
ROTS really is something

I thought AoTC was synthetic as hell and flat

Even though ROTS is sorta the same, there is still strangely SOME warmthness to even all this CG, the live actors actually look in 3 dimensions whereas AoTC everything was just ... weirdly flat and hard to describe

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Medalion said:
ROTS really is something

I thought AoTC was synthetic as hell and flat

Even though ROTS is sorta the same, there is still strangely SOME warmthness to even all this CG, the live actors actually look in 3 dimensions whereas AoTC everything was just ... weirdly flat and hard to describe

I think the issue is AotC looks very much like it was shot on video and not film. Even though RotS was also digital, as most movies are now, they've managed to make it looks more filmic and less like a home movie with expensive sets.

That's one of the things that bugged me when AotC came out. I still loved the battle scenes though.

I did watch the new Han/Greedo scene. Although I'd prefer the original it is MUCH better now and pretty acceptable.

Marty Chinn said:
I'm probably going to start another thread on this, but not all changes are bad IMO. I don't mind him cleaning stuff up or making something look better that he couldn't before. What I mind is when he changes the content to change the meaning of a scene. For example:

Good:

Falcon taking off from Mos Eisley
New X-Wing CGI panning at the Battle of Yavin

Bad:

Greedo shooting first
Vader yelling "Noooooooo"
Exactly how I feel.

Also, don't forget adding Anakin at the end of Jedi.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
<3 <3 Star Wars, but I'm not buying this. I can't respect these changes. Granted, Lucas can do whatever the hell he wants, but I'm going to spend my money on better things.

Anth0ny

StudioTan said:
I did watch the new Han/Greedo scene. Although I'd prefer the original it is MUCH better now and pretty acceptable.

No, no it's really not.

Rentahamster said:
<3 <3 Star Wars, but I'm not buying this. I can't respect these changes. Granted, Lucas can do whatever the hell he wants, but I'm going to spend my money on better things.

Respect.

Medalion

Banned
I know your hate for this release is strong but if he doesn't think it's that bad, then in his opinion, of the two who has seen the blu-ray in person, he thinks it's alright

RobbieNick

Got the complete Saga set for the extras. For most of the films, the picture clarity is gorgeous, but the colors are far too bold. Like, frikkin' 60's Color TV (Gilligan's Island, Batman) loud. I think I'm gonna turn down the color of my set when watching these. I love the the set is in a hardcover book and the pages each have a disc with a 2-page spread of art. Very neat. I'm much more upset over Christiansen being at the end of ROTJ and "Weesa Free!" over Darth's "Nooo!"

The deleted scene from ROTJ with Darth Vader reaching out to Luke really should have been in the film. It lets the viewer wonder if he's going to the dark side.

Kettch

Marty Chinn said:

I doubt many people at all have a problem with clean up.

My point was that the movies were ruined with the SE release. It's just funny to me that there is anyone who cares about there being further changes, as if a few more scenes being ruined is over the line. I haven't watched the SEs since they came out, and I couldn't care less if Lucas redid them entirely, they're abominations to begin with.

Kettch said:
I doubt many people at all have a problem with clean up.

My point was that the movies were ruined with the SE release. It's just funny to me that there is anyone who cares about there being further changes, as if a few more scenes being ruined is over the line. I haven't watched the SEs since they came out, and I couldn't care less if Lucas redid them entirely, they're abominations to begin with.

It's not a black and white issue. It's a varying degree of what is going too far. IMO, Empire Strikes Back was perfected in the 2004 release. It removed the scream from the 97 SE release. ROTJ was mostly fine in the 97 SE release, but got worse as time went on.

StudioTan

milkyjay20 said:
exactly.

the only way to make it better is for greedo to not shoot at all. han being the only one to shoot was an important bit of character development.

What about Greedo's character development? Before he was just a brainless thug, now he's a cutthroat bounty hunter!

Han keeps him talking, uses his hand to divert attention from what his other hand is doing, unholsters his blaster and shoots him at exactly the same time Greedo shoots him. I don't see how his character is altered at all.

Leeness

Wow... so I haven't bought the blu rays or really looked into them, except I heard about the Jedi "Nooo!" and I just saw it and...

This is one of those changes that makes me mad. I still clench my teeth at the end of Jedi with the Hayden Christensen add in.

The ~No. NOOOO.~ just absolutely ruins the tension. I just... wow.

I'm a little speechless and very sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom