• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut debuts with 74k+ concurrent users on Steam making it the 2nd biggest Sony PC published game launch on the platform

OverHeat

« generous god »
SmUuzu0.jpeg
We did our part 😂

YuLY

I wonder why it barely moved in the past 3h though, like it is weird. It is good even so, but still weird.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Playing right not, but seeing a LOT of people pissed off they can't play or that the Steam store is advertising the game on unavailable countries

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'll let you know when I can wrap my head around you faulty point.

There’s nothing faulty about my point. You can disagree with whether you think they can grow their total addressable market on PC, I think they can.

The growth in TAM would far exceed the discount to 3P

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Yea that worked great for EGS, who also has the benefit of the biggest game in the world being exclusive to their launcher

Yeah they had one game and a bunch of other things wrong with their launcher. I’m not suggesting they do any of the things that made it unappealing to begin with

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's regions. Some are countries, some are Principates, or unincorporated territories, etc.
You do realize that there are still gamers in those regions that want to play this game but can't because of the PSN restriction.
The way you talk, it's something that does not affect you. Admittedly, it does not affect me, because I'm in the EU.
But I'm not self centered to think that there are not other gamers outside the Eu and USA.

What I'm saying is that the restrictions PC gamers in unsupported countries are the same for PS4/5 owners in those countries: as long as there's no PSN store in their countries, they'll have to make an an account (with a fake address) on another PSN store. And key stores like CDKeys are cheaper than official key stores and will sell to everyone, not matter where you're from.

If you want to play the game, you can.

It's a silly situation but there's nothing anyone can do anything about if Sony can't be arsed about setting up PSN stores in every country while at the same stating that anyone with a fake account is breaking their TOS. Sony is at fault, they're the ones forcing customers to break their TOS. But at least in the case of Ghost of Tsushima for PC, anyone who buys the game will be aware of the situation beforehand and can either jump through the hoops and play the game, or boycott the game out of principle. It's not like with Helldivers 2 when Sony was forcing PSN integration three months after the game had launched . It's a good thing Sony came to their senses and dropped that requirement.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Then tell your buddies to stop crying that the sky is falling.
Exactly.

A PC gamer 5000 miles away is playing a Sony first party game years later......... "Oh Muh Gawd! My life is falling apart!"

All other media like movie, music, TV shows, books where everyone does it using their own branded device. It goes farther where books can be done digitally or traditional on paper...... "Ya, no worries."

Sethbacca

I got no problem with it coming to pc

I just think Sony shouldn’t half ass their pc strategy

- make a PlayStation store on PC

- day 1 PlayStation exclusives and third party games

- cross buy and cross save between console and pc for all games sold

- trophy support, etc
A Movies Anywhere type setup for gaming would be amazing but they'll never do it and after watching MS crash and burn I doubt you'll ever see any of the big tentpole ips dropping day and date with PC. You'll probably get more GAAS games like Helldivers that rely on high online player counts for success though. If nothing else, the success of Nintendo and Sony have proven that exclusives are still the biggest driver for a winning strategy in the console industry at the moment.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
What I'm saying is that the restrictions PC gamers in unsupported countries are the same for PS4/5 owners in those countries: as long as there's no PSN store in their countries, they'll have to make an an account (with a fake address) on another PSN store. And key stores like CDKeys are cheaper than official key stores and will sell to everyone, not matter where you're from.

If you want to play the game, you can.

It's a silly situation but there's nothing anyone can do anything about if Sony can't be arsed about setting up PSN stores in every country while at the same stating that anyone with a fake account is breaking their TOS. Sony is at fault, they're the ones forcing customers to break their TOS. But at least in the case of Ghost of Tsushima for PC, anyone who buys the game will be aware of the situation beforehand and can either jump through the hoops and play the game, or boycott the game out of principle. It's not like with Helldivers 2 when Sony was forcing PSN integration three months after the game had launched . It's a good thing Sony came to their senses and dropped that requirement.

And what I'm saying is that it's an unnecessary situation.
It's a problem created by Sony. One that did not exist.

xVodevil

Any stutter struggle?
Nope, it runs perfectly almost maxed out! I was a bit worried switching to one of them 4K OLED monitors from 1440p, but quite surprised how well the 4070 Ti handles even this now with all them RTX goodies. Nothing like Last of Us a year ago..

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Great game, hope it does well to keep the momentum up on more ps releases on pc.

TxKnight7

yup. As long as you dont mind waiting up to 4 years.
Was sea of thieves , Grounded, hi fi rush released day one on PS5? , people didn't have problem playing those games after years.. some still waiting for Ori games and gears 5 on PS. where is the problem?

Gambit2483

I know people who have been waiting years for this PC release. Wouldn't be surprised if it is one of the best performing Playstation titles on PC

Tomi

"See chief, that's why we don't want to make Bloodborne on Steam, they will just downvote it anyway" some guy at the Sony headquarters justifying the delay of the Bloodborne port

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah they had one game and a bunch of other things wrong with their launcher. I’m not suggesting they do any of the things that made it unappealing to begin with

Not really. EGS is perfectly functional and a clear step above shit like Uplay, Xbox PC, and EA desktop. It’s just not as good as Steam but in a vacuum it’s a pretty decent launcher. I wish Sony or anyone else would come along with a good competitive launcher who actually put out games of their own. Ultimately I think Sony will do what Rockstar does. Launch games on their own barebones launcher and collect 100% of FOMO money then months later put them on Steam.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Not really. EGS is perfectly functional and a clear step above shit like Uplay, Xbox PC, and EA desktop. It’s just not as good as Steam but in a vacuum it’s a pretty decent launcher. I wish Sony or anyone else would come along with a good competitive launcher who actually put out games of their own. Ultimately I think Sony will do what Rockstar does. Launch games on their own barebones launcher and collect 100% of FOMO money then months later put them on Steam.

Not really according to your crew, EGS is a mess apparently

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Was sea of thieves , Grounded, hi fi rush released day one on PS5? , people didn't have problem playing those games after years.. some still waiting for Ori games and gears 5 on PS. where is the problem?
who said anything about there being a problem. You seem to be fixing for a fight no one is having.

But to address your point though, all those games you mentioned are on the Xbox right? The difference between PlayStation and Xbox is that the PS games on Sony's platform actually does something for the platform. So Sony releasing their EOL games on the PC is so they can make some more money and get a second wind... that is not the same reason MS is releasing stuff on the PS platform.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It’s just lacking a bunch of features from Steam but it functions just fine unlike other launchers. They pissed PC gamers off with moneyhats.

Well I would hope a Sony store would have feature parity with something like Steam sling with some things Steam doesn’t have

What’s wrong with that? It would provide more competition. Third parties would still be everywhere and Sony games on their own launcher

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Well I would hope a Sony store would have feature parity with something like Steam sling with some things Steam doesn’t have

What’s wrong with that? It would provide more competition. Third parties would still be everywhere and Sony games on their own launcher

There is nothing wrong with that, I just seriously doubt they could pull it off. A better question is why are you actively rooting for this? 😂

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So it crashes for many folks after the launcher and people are accusing them of having too old of a CPU without AVX2 or whatever instructions but then the game magically works if you just delete the PCPS_SDK folder from C:\ProgramData\Sony or whatever and that also worked for me and it runs fine on medium settings (maybe High too with 30fps, not sure) 1440p FSR3 @ Quality (without frame gen obviously on my GTX1080) on my 3770K after doing that. Shame they never patched Relink for non AVX cpus like Sony did some other port, I wanted to check it out and it'd probably run fine...

Last edited:
So now it is officially Sony's third best title to launch of PC it has beaten Spiderman all time peak.

All time peak 68,826.

I was not expecting this game to beat Spiderman and Horizon Forbidden West on PC and it was surprise for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom