• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut debuts with 74k+ concurrent users on Steam making it the 2nd biggest Sony PC published game launch on the platform

Tomi

With 73,546 concurrent players, Ghost of Tsushima has now surpassed God of War as Sony's 2nd biggest PC published game:

53731841244_27d2cd197d_b.jpg
As i said yes
Even with Sony baning 170 countries game is selling like hotcakes
Congrats

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Because gamers are retarded morons from hell. Source: It didn’t do too hot on PS5 either.

as someone with a wide variety of taste that is willing to give everything a shot, I didn't like Returnal.

I know its a critical darling but I suspect the fact it didn't spread via word of mouth suggests to me that I am not alone in this, people who played it in general where not impressed and dropped it for other things without saying a word.

Last edited:

simpatico

I helped with this. Bought it without even watching a trailer. Saw screenshots. Knew it was a Sucker Punch single player feudal Japan game. Fucking floored with the quality. One of my best blind buys ever.

Crazy how Sony guys tout TLOU and Dad of War when Days Gone and Ghosts of Tsushima are where it’s at.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
as someone with a wide variety of taste that is willing to give everything a shot, I didn't like Returnal.

I know its a critical darling but I suspect the fact it didn't spread via word of mouth suggests to me that I am not alone in this, people who played it in general where not impressed and dropped it for other things.

Same. I tried it but just didn't click with me.

I helped with this. Bought it without even watching a trailer. Saw screenshots. Knew it was a Sucker Punch single player feudal Japan game. Fucking floored with the quality. One of my best blind buys either.

Crazy how Sony guys tout TLOU and Dad of War when Days Gone and Ghosts of Tsushima are where it’s at.

Eh......I think if you asked a bunch of "Sony guys" you will get a bunch of different answers there. Personally, I didn't care for Days Gone at all. Ghost of Tsushima is fantastic though, as are TLOU and GoW, imo.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It will be second best ( just under Helldivers 2 ) for less than a hour, this will probably hit over 80k peak tomorow
Crazy numbers for 4 year old game, Sony is again on killing streak, money all around
Looks like you were right here. The game has surpassed its peak of yesterday. It's now at 74K. I hope it hits 80.

OverHeat

« generous god »

Eh......I think if you asked a bunch of "Sony guys" you will get a bunch of different answers there. Personally, I didn't care for Days Gone at all. Ghost of Tsushima is fantastic though, as are TLOU and GoW, imo.
I played less then 3 hours of Days Gone I just bought it to support Sony.

YuLY

I know its a critical darling but I suspect the fact it didn't spread via word of mouth suggests to me that I am not alone in this, people who played it in general where not impressed and dropped it for other things without saying a word.
Playing as a char who looks like a middle aged butch dyke didnt help for sure also. But people are going in circles not pointing at the elephant in the room. Just like Alan Wake 2 still hasnt turned a profit because in a game called Alan Wake you play 50% of the time as a black woman new to the francize.

Last edited:

Fbh

I was personally really underwhelmed by it, but I'm glad it's doing well on PC. The franchise has potential, so I definitely want to see what Sucker Punch can do in a sequel

I appreciate Returnal for being a new IP in a gen where Sony seems overly focused on sequels and remakes.
But the game is just OK and I don't really get the love. It reminded me of Destiny 1 in that the core gameplay is very solid and the art design is attractive, but everything else about it sort of sucks.
It's not a good roguelite which makes the lack of content more notorious, I found most biomes outside the first one kinda boring and the story is basically nonsensical by design.

IMO if you took this gameplay and just made a solid 10-15 hours linear campaign like, say, Doom 2016, it would have been WAY better. And they could have still had The tower of Sisyphus as an optional roguelike mode.

Topher

Gold Member
Playing as a char who looks like a middle aged butch dyke didnt help for sure also. But people are going in circles not pointing at the elephant in the room. Just like Alan Wake 2 still hasnt turned a profit because in a game called Alan Wake you play 50% of the time as a black woman new to the francize.

I didn't care for Returnal, but it had nothing to do with identity politics. Just wasn't a fun game.

Reactions: Fbh

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Impressive showing. Here are PlayStation games ranked by peak players.....

Mu8RWj8.png

Not pictured: Sackboy a Big Adventure, because it sold like shit. Sony needs to focus on bringing over the games that PC players enjoy, like Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, DriveClub, Gran Turismo 7, and Dreams.

The wait for Ghosts was ridiculous, they should have skipped Sackboy or Ratchet and got GOT out sooner.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of either Returnal or Days Gone either. The first just didn’t click. I get the idea, but wasn’t a fan (game wasn’t for me).

Days Gone I found boring with uninteresting characters, merely ok combat , and overall subpar story. It was a 7/10 game (I played after tech issues were fixed) and I don’t have enough time to play average games.

On the other hand I loved GoT. The art style, way the game guides you to points of interest, the characters, combat and more were amazing to me. Like I said before, certain moments were like you were in Kurosawa movies.

I also liked quite a bit TLOU 1, GoW 2018, Spider-Man 1 (Miles expansion was alright as well) and even Horizons 1.

However I didn’t like TLOU 2 at all, found Ragnarock too drawn out and story didn’t click, Horizons 2 I just didn’t like and Spider-Man 2 went way too far into “modern message for modern audiences “ territory for me.

So yeah, different strokes for different folks and all that. GoT is top notch though and it’s too bad that Sony hampered it with stupid PSN restrictions.

Denton

Fair enough. I wonder what Valve gets out of this. Pretty generous just to allow publishers to bypass Steam commission like that. Also, what I don't understand is that it stresses that Steam customers must get the same deal as the keys sold elsewhere, but we know that it is common for this to not be the case. I bought GoT on Fanatatical for $10 less than what it was being sold for on Steam. Maybe Valve isn't monitoring very closely? Not sure.

When Valve started distributing games via Steam they competed with retail and needed a way to attract developers to use Steam. Letting them use Steamworks suite of tools for free in retail boxes while taking no commision was a great way to do that. It is kinda like Epic trying to attract developers by paying them shitton of money for exclusivity. Which only angered PC players of course. Valve's way was so much smarter it's not even funny.
As for that rule about publishers not giving steam customers worse deal, I think it works like this:

If Sony would sell Steam keys on PSN for its games at launch for $10 less than on Steam, Valve would have a problem with that. So Sony does not do that.
But, Sony can sell Steam keys to third party shops (Fanatical etc), and those third party shops attract customers by making their own cut much smaller (5-10% instead of 20-30%) passing the savings on customers. These shops can afford this, because all the infrastructure and bandwith is paid by Valve. And Valve does not really have a problem with this, apparently.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of either Returnal or Days Gone either. The first just didn’t click. I get the idea, but wasn’t a fan (game wasn’t for me).

Days Gone I found boring with uninteresting characters, merely ok combat , and overall subpar story. It was a 7/10 game (I played after tech issues were fixed) and I don’t have enough time to play average games.

On the other hand I loved GoT. The art style, way the game guides you to points of interest, the characters, combat and more were amazing to me. Like I said before, certain moments were like you were in Kurosawa movies.

I also liked quite a bit TLOU 1, GoW 2018, Spider-Man 1 (Miles expansion was alright as well) and even Horizons 1.

However I didn’t like TLOU 2 at all, found Ragnarock too drawn out and story didn’t click, Horizons 2 I just didn’t like and Spider-Man 2 went way too far into “modern message for modern audiences “ territory for me.

So yeah, different strokes for different folks and all that. GoT is top notch though and it’s too bad that Sony hampered it with stupid PSN restrictions.

My take is pretty much right in line with yours outside of TLOU 2, but that is by far the most divisive game in Sony's lineup so not really a surprise. I really liked Spider-man 2's main campaign but the message heavy side missions damn near ruined it for me. Heavy handed, shallow and completely contrived stories that have Sweet Baby Inc's name all over them. Raganarok was quite a step down from 2018, which I loved. I thought Horizon was good, not great, but my expecations were not very high from the beginning since the entire Horizon series is like that summer popcorn flick movie you watch, enjoy and forget.

Ghost of Tsushima, on the other hand, is just great quality stuff even if it does borrow heavily from Assassin's Creed. Great writing, solid side quests and side activities. And some of the most beautiful scenery that exists in video games. Just a joy to play.....even for the second time. Hopefully Sucker Punch can keep its standards high for the sequel.

When Valve started distributing games via Steam they competed with retail and needed a way to attract developers to use Steam. Letting them use Steamworks suite of tools for free in retail boxes while taking no commision was a great way to do that. It is kinda like Epic trying to attract developers by paying them shitton of money for exclusivity. Which only angered PC players of course. Valve's way was so much smarter it's not even funny.
As for that rule about publishers not giving steam customers worse deal, I think it works like this:

If Sony would sell Steam keys on PSN for its games at launch for $10 less than on Steam, Valve would have a problem with that. So Sony does not do that.
But, Sony can sell Steam keys to third party shops (Fanatical etc), and those third party shops attract customers by making their own cut much smaller (5-10% instead of 20-30%) passing the savings on customers. These shops can afford this, because all the infrastructure and bandwith is paid by Valve. And Valve does not really have a problem with this, apparently.

Yeah, I think you are probably right. It really is a brilliant approach and one I seriously doubt would ever be greenlit at massive corporations ruled by stockholders.

simpatico

Just from outside the bubble. Didn't hear much about Days or Ghost.

MikeM

Returnal flopped on PS5 and them flopped on PC.

It's already a fact that the game is bad and have nothing to do with the game being a roguelike because Hades did well.
Game is fantastic. I finished it and I hate these games.

Still waiting to play this game. Have had my eye on it for years.

At this point it’ll prolly happen on Steam Deck 2.0

Unless Sony has a surprise PS5 Mini happening sometime soon

Last edited:

Felix Argyle

Neo Member
The port is not good. Playstation overlay is causing massive performance damage.
If you don't care about the multiplayer side of things or the playstation overlay you can delete or rename the PSPC_SDK folder in %programdata%\Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc\ to get a 30-70% performance boost.
Source where I found this out:

I'm on 1660 Super and before deleting the folder the game ran at around 40fps on high settings. After deleting it the game now runs at around 65fps. This is before even turning FSR3 on.

The port is not good. Playstation overlay is causing massive performance damage.
If you don't care about the multiplayer side of things or the playstation overlay you can delete or rename the PSPC_SDK folder in %programdata%\Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc\ to get a 30-70% performance boost.

I'm on 1660 Super and before deleting the folder the game ran at around 40fps on high settings. After deleting it the game now runs at around 65fps. This is before even turning FSR3 on.

Prove it with a video.

OverHeat

« generous god »

I don’t believe you.
aL2ZlVR.gif

1660 super
z7RUXLq.jpeg

Last edited:

hinch7

The only thing buggy on this release is the frame gen (noticable in some cutscene transitions). Which I why I turned it off. Otherwise its a great port.

Days Gone had its flaws. But Bend deserved a second shot at improving the franchise.

(my autocorrect in Firefox changed that to "Gays Bone", and hey, maybe if they went that direction they would have been more successful)
Successful? Hell no. Still getting a sequel regardless? Define possibility.

As for OP, yea the regions thing was just BS. With Helldivers II, it seems more people were just pissed off because at first they didn't require a PSN and then did. As long as they do it out of the gate, people don't seem to care.

Topher

Gold Member

Eh.......performance hasn't been an issue for me and the responses you are getting on Steam and reddit are mixed at best. Seems like this might be helpful for some with lower end GPUs, but you are making some broad claims here that are not true across the board.

What is your resolution and settings?

Edit:

Why are you spamming Steam discussions with this over and over again? You've got three threads out there just on this.

Last edited:

Felix Argyle

Neo Member
Eh.......performance hasn't been an issue for me and the responses you are getting on Steam and reddit are mixed at best. Seems like this might be helpful for some with lower end GPUs, but you are making some broad claims here that are not true across the board.

What is your resolution and settings?

Edit:

Why are you spamming Steam discussions with this over and over again? You've got three threads out there just on this.

I am spamming it because:

1. It had a huge impact on performance for me, and it will help others as well.
2. Sony's performance eating overlay gets exposed.

Top Bottom