• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghot of Tsushima surpassed God of War as the most played Sony single-player game on Steam

Another step towards a better world.

We just need Sony to see sense and launch day one going forward, and Nintendo to just see sense (my god, how many games would Nintendo sell?)

People thinking every brand will go pc because they sell more.

I think both Sony and Nintendo know since the 90's they sell more games if they are part of more platforms guys lmao.

yurinka

I mean they're free to do that right now on ps5. i don't think bloodborne has been in the vicinity of the top 20 npd since elden ring came out though. if they were to remake it, i think it might do as well as the demon's souls remake.
Miyazaki agrees, he don't see the point of making a remaster or remake now. He thinks it would make sense to wait for PS6 and make a remake as happened with Demon's Souls: having 2 generations of difference the new version can be benefited of getting a big enough improvement that justifies the re-release.

People thinking every brand will go pc because they sell more.

I think both Sony and Nintendo know since the 90's they sell more games if they are part of more platforms guys lmao.
Yes, but in the 90s the AAA games didn't cost over $300M to be made. They were way cheaper and had a way bigger ROI.

With costs of over $300M games with the sales of Until Dawn, Death Stranding, Days Gone wouldn't be profitable. So the AAA publishers (not Nintendo) need more revenue and profit sources, which is what PC ports provide.

Nintendo won the lottery with Switch being the only portable in the market for a while. But I think Switch 2, even if with maybe a record launch, won't have that luck in the long term because with the death of Xbox Sony will increase their market share and because the PC handhelds market will keep growing, specially once MS and Sony join it.

I wish Nixxes would at least try to add more to the PC editions of these ports, nothing really changes with these port except the usually (improved FPS and Res) but I think sony probably doesn't want there to be a divide compared to the PS5 editions of the games.
You should be thankful that they added things like trophies, ultrawide screen and DS features support, PC upscaling techniques, Nvidia Reflex and DLAA. Many other companies don't make this in their ports.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yet another evidence which shows that Sony releasing their Playstation games on PC is a great decision.

ArtHands

Well, good news: Sony's just had further confirmation that it should keep bringing its titles to PC—as per Steam DB numbers spotted by our friends over at GamesRadar, Ghost of Tsushima has hit an all-time concurrent player peak of 77,500 at the time of writing. That's already beating out Marvel's Spider-Man (66,436), God of War 2018 (73,529) and The Last of Us Part 1 (36,496).

In all seriousness, this feels like further vindication for Sony's umming-and-ahhing over its PC port strategy—and a good sign that we'll be seeing more day-one ports like the one that doubtless fuelled the stratospheric success of Helldivers 2, which has an all-time peak of… jeez, 458,709. Even with Ghost of Tsushima's stellar numbers, it's still pulling almost 1/6th of Arrowhead's co-op phenome-numbers.

All in all, Ghost of Tsushima feels like another bell rung, tolling the death of console exclusivity—especially as big publishers like Square Enix also giving up the ghost. Whether that'll translate into side-by-side releases, or the annoying one-to-two year wait we've been enduring for games like God of War Ragnarök, remains to be seen. Eternally frustrating as it is for me, it's not as if multi platform development is as simple as snapping your fingers, though.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
EOuOvlnX0AM5krA.jpg
Ni no kuni 2 wasn't exclusive. Fail.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So question for those of you who have double dipped on steam and the PS five version. I have the game on PS five but I’ve never played it. Do you think it’s worth purchasing steam over the PS five for a new player since I already own it there’s not that much difference. I have the edition already with the DLC does the PC make that big of a difference

So question for those of you who have double dipped on steam and the PS five version. I have the game on PS five but I’ve never played it. Do you think it’s worth purchasing steam over the PS five for a new player since I already own it there’s not that much difference. I have the edition already with the DLC does the PC make that big of a difference
Who the hell writes PS five? Serial killers thats who.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pc players are willing to try PlayStation games, I still see some ps hatred from pc crowds.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
75k concurrent is at least 700k copies sold fam. Its free money. Let me say that again. FREE MONEY for a 4 million dollar port, sony loves it, you hate it, we all happy

So that's about a 600% ROI (return on investment) if the port cost $5 million. And that's after Steam gets their 30% cut.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They need to rethink their strategy to day one. Releasing games 4 years after their original release is clearly not working. Right? RIGHT?

We just need Sony to see sense and launch day one going forward, and Nintendo to just see sense (my god, how many games would Nintendo sell?)

I wish you guys would understand what it would truly mean for Sony to promise PS5 games to be on PC on day one. So insane that people haven't learned the lessons that Microsoft have shown us all. Have you all ever thought that the quality of the PC ports by Nixxes is SPECIALLY due to it NOT being released on day one?

Yet another evidence which shows that Sony releasing their Playstation games on PC is a great decision.

Nope. The only way to prove this with verifiable data is by comparing console sales during the PS-only period to sales during the PS+PC period.

Also adding up the impact on PS+ users and console sales. It's disingenuous to pretend that Day-one-PC would not impact Playstation as a brand (resulting in financial losses).

In the case of Nintendo, it's easier to measure, since their prices are justified on exclusivity and brand appeal.

I'm about 13 hours into my very fist time playthrough. It is depressing AF. Death and Traitors everywhere. I've got at least one Tallneck Tower, Shrine that a message popped up telling me that I could not climb yet.
I don't think I will 100 percent the game but I am going to finish it.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Nintendo would kill their platform to chase short term profits, it's a deal with the devil.

The thing I always point out is that Nintendo sold 8+ million copies of Mario Kart 8... On the Wii U. It's helpful to be the biggest fish in your own pond.

Durin

I know most people hate they’re sending games to pc. But honestly. I’m happy a bigger crowd can play and hopefully this leads to more people to play with in multiplayer games.
I doubt it's most people, and any that do are just dumb fanboys that ironically are supporting an anti-consumer practice.

More games on more platforms just means each person can play on their preferred device, and on PC more likely ensure preservation of that game in the future.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Insane that people think that Sony and Nintendo should follow MS example which tanked their brand. Genius.
Long as you produce good games, your brand isn’t in immediate danger. Xbox couldn’t so it fell off.

Laptop1991

This doesn't surprise me, it looks a good game, it does remind me of AC but at least the Samurai is Japanese in GOT lol, i'll pick this up later on, i'll enjoy this game.

Durin

You should be thankful that they added things like trophies, ultrawide screen and DS features support, PC upscaling techniques, Nvidia Reflex and DLAA. Many other companies don't make this in their ports.

Honestly, the one feature I'd actually like if they're going to push for PSN sign-ups, is offer me cross-platform save files with my playstation.

I played through the main Ghost of Tsushima campaign, but not the Iki Island expansion, and would be cool with double dipping the PC version down the line if I didn't have to restart my progress.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Because it's a technical marvel that wipes the floor with the vast majority of open-world games.
Vast majority? Lmao. So it's better than totk, Spiderman, Elden Ring, gta, rdr, Witcher, CP2077, Forza Horizon, and others?

B4 fucking real. the only game horizon is beating in the open world category is like. Fucking watchdogs and saints row

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I know the ports aren't stopping. It's still a dumbass idea.
Cheap and easy to make ports with good ROI isn't a good idea because of the slight potential chance that console players might go to PC even though the console has the comfy couch, ease of use and no drivers to worry about. It sounds ridiculous but it's the only arguments I've heard against PC ports at all.

Day and date may or may not happen but the games will continue coming until they become a loss for Sony. If you know so much better get a job at SIE and show them whose boss.

Last edited:

yurinka

Honestly, the one feature I'd actually like if they're going to push for PSN sign-ups, is offer me cross-platform save files with my playstation.

I played through the main Ghost of Tsushima campaign, but not the Iki Island expansion, and would be cool with double dipping the PC version down the line if I didn't have to restart my progress.
I miss cross-save in Helldivers 2 (the only game where I double dipped), and I think it's a shame they didn't implement it.

I assume they are integrating PSN step by step and will implement cross-save later in the road. Maybe they are saving it for their own PC PSN store, to have some competitive advantage over Steam. Another cool one would be having cross-buy with console.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Nope. The only way to prove this with verifiable data is by comparing console sales during the PS-only period to sales during the PS+PC period.

Also adding up the impact on PS+ users and console sales. It's disingenuous to pretend that Day-one-PC would not impact Playstation as a brand (resulting in financial losses).

In the case of Nintendo, it's easier to measure, since their prices are justified on exclusivity and brand appeal.

They can also consider adding in data by comparing sales during PC-only period too. Which means they can try releasing PC timed exclusives as tests

Gaiff

Because it's a technical marvel that wipes the floor with the vast majority of open-world games.
Horizon’s a mediocre open-world. It only convincingly beats Ubisoft trash. Every other competent open-world destroys it.

The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, BOTW/TOTK, Arkham City/Knight, Dragon’s Dogma 2, Skyrim, Fallout 4/NV, GTA IV/V, RDR/2, and the list just goes on and on. It doesn’t rank highly among open-world games at all.

LakeOf9

Horizon’s a mediocre open-world. It only convincingly beats Ubisoft trash. Every other competent open-world destroys it.

The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, BOTW/TOTK, Arkham City/Knight, Dragon’s Dogma 2, Skyrim, Fallout 4/NV, GTA IV/V, RDR/2, and the list just goes on and on. It doesn’t rank highly among open-world games at all.
Even among Ubisoft games, there are at least a few I would rank above Horizon, Far Cry 2-4, Assassin's Creed 2, 4, and Odyssey, Watch Dogs 2.

As an open world, Horizon is below average. Its strengths lie in things like strong world building, good combat, creative fights and enemy designs, and great setting. Pretending it is anywhere close to being the top of open worlds is either hilarious fanboy cope, or just plain ignorance about the vast majority of open world games that exist.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

They rely too much on procedural generation.

It’s pretty, but repetitive and dull. Very few things seem hand crafted and there’s nothing organic that takes place in the world to surprise or intrigue the player

ProtoByte

Cheap and easy to make ports with good ROI isn't a good idea because of the slight potential chance that console players might go to PC even though the console has the comfy couch, ease of use and no drivers to worry about. It sounds ridiculous but it's the only arguments I've heard against PC ports at all.
All of that stuff is either on PC or is getting easier.

Day and date may or may not happen but the games will continue coming until they become a loss for Sony. If you know so much better get a job at SIE and show them whose boss.
Actually, I do think I know better than a lot of game industry execs and analysts. Did most of them not fall hook line and sinker for the numerous copium projects over at Xbox?

Killjoy-NL

Vast majority? Lmao. So it's better than totk, Spiderman, Elden Ring, gta, rdr, Witcher, CP2077, Forza Horizon, and others?

B4 fucking real. the only game horizon is beating in the open world category is like. Fucking watchdogs and saints row

Cool stories.

I said technical marvel. Production-value, polish and what it achieves on Playstation hardware on a technical level is better than pretty much all the games you guys mention.

You guys lump in gameplay, which I didn't talk about.

The only ones that can compete with Horizon in that regard are Spiderman, Zelda and GTA/RDR.
Everything else is mediocre or sub-par, no matter how many graphical effects they throw at the screen (that incl Witcher 3, Cyberpunk and DD2).

Last edited:

Vick

Why presenting your very personal, and frankly at times farcical, opinions as facts when they aren't even shared by.. PC players?

imgIYgj.png

VsNhnT0.png

420d2oo.png

8fBhUdY.png

kjVZQ1o.png

1OcGmxQ.png

But also among those rated higher like Witcher 3 or RDR2, the one "destruction" close to being somewhat observable is controls, encounters and enemies in favor of Horizon.

Even among Ubisoft games, there are at least a few I would rank above Horizon, Far Cry 2-4, Assassin's Creed 2, 4, and Odyssey, Watch Dogs 2.
Its strengths lie in things like strong world building, good combat, creative fights and enemy designs, and great setting. Pretending it is anywhere close to being the top of open worlds is either hilarious fanboy cope, or just plain ignorance about the vast majority of open world games that exist.
Yeah, totally irrelevant aspects..

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

The striking contrast between the bolded and the rest of this post is wild.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Why presenting your very personal, and frankly at times farcical, opinions as facts when they aren't even shared by.. PC players?

imgIYgj.png

VsNhnT0.png

420d2oo.png

8fBhUdY.png

kjVZQ1o.png

1OcGmxQ.png

But also among those rated higher like Witcher 3 or RDR2, the one "destruction" close to being somewhat observable is controls, encounters and enemies in favor of Horizon.

And why present this incorrect argument, ignoring context? Those games have lower scores because they all launched with awful performance or issues. GTA IV still runs like ass on PC without mods and redirects many to the beautiful and beloved Rockstar launcher. Cyberpunk took almost 3 years to fix. Fallout 4's score just tanked because of the shitty "next-gen" update that broke mods.

Look at recent reviews.

IHKvhgP.png

r9xzSH1.png

Mmmh...I wonder why all of a sudden, 94% of Cyberpunks reviews are positive as opposed to something like 40% at launch...

Steam reviews generally are not review scores. They don't represent how much people like a game but mostly whether or not the game has issues. Look at the launch day reviews for HZD, which launched in a poor state. Something like 30% of the reviews were negative on the first day.

gTiL6V5.png

Nice try, but no lol.

Last edited:

imgIYgj.png

VsNhnT0.png

420d2oo.png

8fBhUdY.png

kjVZQ1o.png

1OcGmxQ.png

Tom Hiddleston What GIF

Vick

And why present this incorrect argument, ignoring context? Those games have lower scores because they all launched with awful performance or issues. GTA IV still runs like ass on PC without mods and redirects many to the beautiful and beloved Rockstar launcher. Cyberpunk took almost 3 years to fix. Fallout 4's score just tanked because of the shitty "next-gen" update.

Look at recent reviews.

IHKvhgP.png

r9xzSH1.png

Mmmh...I wonder why all of a sudden, 94% of Cyberpunks reviews are positive as opposed to something like 40% at launch...
Nah, your's a nice try.

Same applied to Horizon: Zero Dawn for years, countless port issues.

This is what a game really impacted by "performance" or "issues" looks like, and why it wasn't posted:

dAHgZTB.png

Steam reviews generally are not review scores. They don't represent how much people like a game but mostly whether or not the game has issues. Look at the launch day reviews for HZD, which launched in a poor state. Something like 30% of the reviews were negative on the first day.
Yeah yeah, sure, the usual escape.

You post your conterargument, you're a fanboy. You post reviews, critics sucks. You post Metacritic user scores, they don't count. You post YouTube essays, they aren't realiable. You post Steam score, it "really isn't a score technically"..

And yet somehow impressions from hardcore PC guys who don't play on machines the games are designed for and have decade long personal biases and most of time haven't even played them is objective truth. Always the same story, round and round.

Gaiff

Nah, your's a nice try.

Same applied to Horizon: Zero Dawn for years, countless port issues.
Zero Dawn was fixed within a month lol.
This is what a game really impacted by "performance" or "issues" looks like, and why it wasn't posted:

dAHgZTB.png
Yeah, and this is another game that is known to have massive performance issues that are still ongoing. Cyberpunk came out in December 2020 and was gradually fixed over time. Now, it plays great. The game has 654K reviews, around 10% of the negative reviews came on the first day alone.
Yeah yeah, sure, the usual escape.

You post your conterargument, you're a fanboy. You post reviews, critics sucks. You post Metacritic user scores, they don't count. You post YouTube essays, they aren't realiable. You post Steam score, it "really isn't a score technically"..

And yet somehow impressions from hardcore PC guys who don't play on machines the games are designed for and have decade long personal biases and most of time haven't even played them is objective truth. Always the same story, round and round.
Dude, you're just plain wrong and you haven't actually provided a counter-argument to what I said. Cyberpunk is 94% over the last 30 days, HZD is at a mere 74%. Clearly, Cyberpunk is suddenly more well-liked than HZD lol. Or can you put two and two together and realize that Cyberpunk had over 60,000 negative reviews on the first day and it took years for CDPR to fix it?

At least get your facts straight before spouting a bunch of nonsense. These are all verifiable facts and we can all look at the review history to determine that your argument is fallacious and willfully ignores the context of those reviews. Steam reviews aren't scores. They're positive or negative. Game runs like shit or has issues? Negative. Game runs well? Positive. Why do you think the Fallout 4 overall reviews dropped all of a sudden? Yeah, because of the next-gen update. I like how you conveniently ignore the context to push your false narrative.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Just comparing what we have so far, PS4 vs PS5 sales are almost the same with PS5 slightly behind, but I'd wager the console shortage, lack of price drops (price increase in most regions of the world) and no Pro console matters more then PC. As for PS+ users, numbers have remained stable at around 47 million for the past few years but revenue has sharply increased thanks to the new tiers.

Top Bottom