• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghot of Tsushima surpassed God of War as the most played Sony single-player game on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
Ghost of Tsushima did it!

The game just became the biggest Single Player PlayStation debut on the Steam platform surpassing God of War.The game was highly requested and the PC version

GN8uLt6WUAAE3eO

usaYURd.png

Source

Last edited:

Fredrik

I know most people hate they’re sending games to pc.
most people? The hate you hear is just fanboys. PS4 + PC was actually an often mentioned platform combo here last gen when MS started porting their games. I doubt everybody has sold their PCs since then, it’s not that long ago, the ports started coming in 2016.

Holammer

very-cool-red-letter-media.gif

Everyone expects Demon's Souls & Bloodborne to beat those numbers to a pulp (and they 100% would), but how would a game like Gran Turismo fare? Looking at Forza peaks, I think GT would do better too.

Sly 5 when?
Give it to me, but a quadrilogy release on PC first. Given the political correctness and representation requirements in current year, a new game would probably feature Carmelita more.

0e3.png

Kuranghi

I don't think its hard for people to like GoT more.

Ghost of Tsushima experience: Played for 12 hours the first day without stopping, loved being in that world, art style amazing, really fun combat, HDR implementation amazing, etc. The game has issues, like far too big, should've been cut down in scope, and had more variety in the open world stuff, but most of it was really great world building at least.

God of War Ragnarok Experience: Played for a couple of hours each day, amazing graphics and art, awesome direction/camera work, awesome HDR, liked the exploration, side stuff was fun and varied, gear upgrading was tedious as fuck, combat was annoying sometimes but better than the first for me personally. The bit with Atreus and the girl was interesting change of pace at first but got old so quickly. Funny dialogue sometimes but also quite soap operay and annoying mostly. The puzzles could've been good-to-great if they weren't constantly ruined almost immediately (like Horizon: FW). Many set pieces could've been so cool if they weren't so beholden to the one-take concept and it always trying to stay behind his back.

After the 5th day of playing it I was shimmying along endlessly while Freya prattled on about some shit I didn't care about and I just turned it off and never switched it back on. What a waste of all that money, lots of superb things about the game but the story, combat, gear system and creative choices just really ruined it for me.

ClosBSAS

These concurrent player numbers are not sales.

The sales numbers we have seen are not impressive.
75k concurrent is at least 700k copies sold fam. Its free money. Let me say that again. FREE MONEY for a 4 million dollar port, sony loves it, you hate it, we all happy

Hugare

lol at Helldivers II number, Jesus

Its not being surpased anytime soon

Congrats, I guess. But it's still so low when you take into account that the game sold 10M on its first year.

Has this strategy been worth it for Sony? 66k peak with Spider-man, ffs.

75k concurrent is at least 700k copies sold fam. Its free money. Let me say that again. FREE MONEY for a 4 million dollar port, sony loves it, you hate it, we all happy
I'd put it more at ~300-350K so far. Which if we do some rough math... 300K x $70 = $21M x .70 = $14.7M after just a couple days.

This port probably cost ~$2M.. So the game has already made ~7x what it cost them to port it.

This is easy money for Sony, and all of these titles will continue to sell over the years making them huge returns over the life of the products.

RoboEight

It's a solid port. My first time playing it and I'm really enjoying it I just need to stop wandering off on side quests lol.

Three

I'd put it more at ~300-350K so far. Which if we do some rough math... 300K x $70 = $21M x .70 = $14.7M after just a couple days.

This port probably cost ~$2M.. So the game has already made ~7x what it cost them to port it.

This is easy money for Sony, and all of these titles will continue to sell over the years making them huge returns over the life of the products.
Not that I think it isn't profitable but I think you're lowballing the port cost a little too much.

Not that I think it isn't profitable but I think you're lowballing the port cost a little too much.
I think Nixxes is a well oiled machine at this point. They have plenty of libraries already built up for PC through past porting jobs which make future jobs more efficient and cost effective.

But perhaps yes, ~2M is a slight low ball.. but even at $4M.. these games are still going to make huge ROIs for Sony. They just sit back as the money trickles in.

bender

What time is it?

Not to argue the point but the game is $59.99, no?

sendit

Sony chose the wrong franchise (Horizon) to shove down people's throats. That or people are still coming off the high from the Shogun show.

Top Bottom