• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The end of "buy it and you're set" consoles as we know it.

I hate this. If I wanted to join the technological power rat race I'd just get into PC gaming.

xevis

Banned
With more than 36 million PS4s already sold, I wonder which developer will be crazy enough to release a NEO only game? Sounds like New 3DS all over again.

Shit, this is fine with me. Pretty much a 25% improvement on CPU, and 2.5x improvement for GPU with a huge 12+x leap in memory? Is the PS4 even memory constrained with its GDDR5?

It's definitely not a PS4.5 but a PS4.25

The Sony NeoGAF.

It's all coming together:

img2.png

Ephemeris

now announce that Last Guardian will be exclusive to the PS4 Neo and watch the internet burst into flames

The article said:

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN.

The end of "buy it and you're set" consoles as we know it.

I hate this. If I wanted to join the technological power rat race I'd just get into PC gaming.
But PC gaming is hard! You have to download like... a driver!

It will really suck tho. Even playing field - gone. Buy it at launch and know you're set til the end of the gen - gone. Not to mention the fact that devs are barely given time to optimise for the current platform set-up - imagine Ubi trying to launch Unity across 4 configs + PC when they failed to optimise for 2 + PC.
No you won't.
Why wouldn't I? There would be no reason not to. For the price of a PS4K I could just sell my old PS4s and add the $399 for the new console towards a GPU which can actually run things in 4K.

Daingurse

NEO . . . This new PS4 will have a bottomless apetite. PS4K must feed!

Edit : Seriously though, that's a smaller bump than I was expecting. Pretty incremental increase

Shit, this is fine with me. Pretty much a 25% improvement on CPU, and 2.5x improvement for GPU with a huge 12+x leap in memory? Is the PS4 even memory constrained with its GDDR5?

It's definitely not a PS4.5 but a PS4.25

WadeitOut

The increase in specs is fairly minimal. They clearly just wanted to allow 4K output for their TVs while keeping the cost down. Kind of pointless when most 4K TVs now have excellent upscalers.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, I just don't see the point. It'll cause consumer confusion at the retail level, upset early adopters and the jump may end up not even be that big. You would not believe how confused average general consumers are almost three years into this gen to begin with. Now this? Ugh.

RoKKeR

Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.
Man, there are going to be a lot of growing pains if this is the direction (and it seems that it is) that the console space is taking.

I'm not outright opposed to it yet, but am certainly curious to see what the ramifications are.

Curufinwe

Man, I just don't see the point. It'll cause consumer confusion at the retail level, upset early adopters and the jump may end up not even be that big. You would not believe how confused average general consumers are almost three years into this gen to begin with. Now this? Ugh.

They'll be fine.

Top Bottom