• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

[Agent]ZeroNine;201311668 said:
This thread is hilarious. Suddenly people can't enjoy their PS4s as is anymore.
Anyways, NEO + PSVR was needed. I'm super hyped.
Take a look at the cross gen hell that was 2013-2015 and tell me that you would be able to enjoy those games on a PS360.

The gap is not going to be that big but when devs are rarely given time to properly optimise and regularly release games on only TWO platforms which end up having performance issues, I don't know why anyone would expect them to suddenly be given extra time to optimise for weaker hardware when they can just brute force it on the new console. There would be literally no reason for Sony to incentivise otherwise anyway - get people to upgrade to PS4K.

Byvar

Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.
So that's why FFXV is releasing on September 30th.

Wereroku

With more than 36 million PS4s already sold, I wonder which developer will be crazy enough to release a NEO only game? Sounds like New 3DS all over again.

No one Sony disallowed devs doing that. Did you not even bother to read the op?

Kill3r7

I wonder what the price will be? I told myself I wouldn't upgrade but I worry that the standard PS4 will fall behind and trade in values will plummet once PS4K hits the market.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The end of "buy it and you're set" consoles as we know it.

I hate this. If I wanted to join the technological power rat race I'd just get into PC gaming.

The article specifically mentions how there will be zero exclusives for the new system. Your PS4 will still play games exactly like it was doing before this thing comes out all the way through its life cycle.

The idea that developers are going to prioritize the NEO over the original PS4 is just weird. There will be well over 50+ million original PS4s sold by the time this thing is out. If anything the mandate that all games will work on both means the NEO is even less of a priority.

I really don't understand how this is a bad thing. If you're content with your current PS4 then keep playing on it. If you want to upgrade with a mid-gen refresh then go do that.

My questions would be:

Will there be separate discs at retail for OG PS4 and NEO?
Would the game disc or download recognize that you are using NEO and turn on NEO mode or would you have to go into options and turn it on?

There definitely won't be separate discs. I imagine the mode would be automatic (regular PS4 owners ideally wouldn't even see the term on their PS4) but who knows.

Hexa

It's a good thing they're not growing arrogant or complacent and are acknowledging their weaknesses, but this is probably going to be a painful transition. I wish them luck.

Eggbok

giphy.gif

1VHbkof.gif

playstationmatrixghkrj.gif

RoKKeR

As I stated in the other thread, there are going to be a lot of growing pains with this new direction the industry is taking. I appreciate their efforts to keep players together, and think that the "Base vs. NEO" requirements are sensible.

zsynqx

So if the Neo will improve performance, won't that put PS4 users at a disadvantage in competitive online games?

iNvid02

Man, I just don't see the point. It'll cause consumer confusion at the retail level, upset early adopters and the jump may end up not even be that big. You would not believe how confused average general consumers are almost three years into this gen to begin with. Now this? Ugh.

Nx advertising should be like those awful shopping channel videos of people unable to do basic things without the new product, it's just some kid with the new ps4 and xb1 who can't figure out how to play his games and breaks down crying, his dad then comes in with an NX and the whole family enjoy the games

prateeko

This may be significant ignorance on my behalf, but why is Sony making this console? I understand why a new 3DS came out since it was underpowered to begin with (I've had it since day one but the ambassador games really highlighted shortcomings), but the PS4 is an adequately powered machine and by extending the life cycle as much as possible doesn't Sony stand to make more profit on hardware as costs fall? It also seems like it would confuse the hell out of consumers and in the end it will allow for higher res and/or higher frame rate games. I mean, is this all so Sony can leverage the PS4 to push 4K TV? It seemed like 4K is getting good acceptance already so even that seems less likely to me...

It all seems a little unprompted to me but I am admittedly not in the loop so if anyone could clarify I'd appreciate it since it's odd. That said, I'll be buying this one on day one also.

braves01

Banned
Interesting. So low and high visual modes? It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. Seems like a decent enough improvement to hold off buying for.

Servbot24

Banned
[Agent]ZeroNine;201311668 said:
This thread is hilarious. Suddenly people can't enjoy their PS4s as is anymore.
Anyways, NEO + PSVR was needed. I'm super hyped.

Stupid advancing technology :mad: I want to feel special through my products!

I-hate-u

I wonder if they will set the OG PS4 at a lower price and sell Neo PS4 at the regular 400 MSRP, or phase out OG PS4 and have Neo as the only sku.

But why are they doing this, and risking a backlash almost half way into the gen cycle?

Reszo

Not really keen on this type of stuff but how much better will the PS4.5 be based off the improvements? Would it be worth the upgrade?

thelastword

Banned
I would have liked the Jaguars to be clocked at 3.2 GHz and the GPU frequency clocked at 1200MHz. That additional RAM, does it suggest EDRAM? The bandwidth difference definitely suggests that, or perhaps they anticipate a further reduction to the OS footprint at the time of the NEO's release.

DavidDesu

Fucking excellent.

Sounds like absolute dynamite to me. I'll take one faster PS4 please!

Sony being bullish and making it impossible for devs to leave PS4 behind is a great move and just as us sane people thought would be the case. Basically PS4 now has medium and high settings, that is all. Those willing to spend more can get some improvements in the experience, those with the original model or on a cheaper budget still get PS4 games. We all get PS4 games. A really interesting move.

Kill3r7

The article specifically mentions how there will be zero exclusives for the new system. Your PS4 will still play games exactly like it was doing before this thing comes out all the way through its life cycle.

The idea that developers are going to prioritize the NEO over the original PS4 is just weird. There will be well over 50+ million original PS4s sold by the time this thing is out. If anything the mandate that all games will work on both means the NEO is even less of a priority.

I really don't understand how this is a bad thing. If you're content with your current PS4 then keep playing on it. If you want to upgrade with a mid-gen refresh then go do that.

Look at how certain games play on the 3DS vs N3DS and then get back to me.

Take a look at the cross gen hell that was 2013-2015 and tell me that you would be able to enjoy those games on a PS360.

The gap is not going to be that big but when devs are rarely given time to properly optimise and regularly release games on only TWO platforms which end up having performance issues, I don't know why anyone would expect them to suddenly be given extra time to optimise for weaker hardware when they can just brute force it on the new console. There would be literally no reason for Sony to incentivise otherwise anyway - get people to upgrade to PS4K.

I'm sure Sony will be happy to continue selling the base model. They will profit from both.

Day One for me. Hopefully all PS4 first party games releasing this Fall or later like Horizon Zero Dawn will have upgraded settings for PS4 Neo. And hopefully Battlefield 5 can run at 1080p/60fps.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
With more than 36 million PS4s already sold, I wonder which developer will be crazy enough to release a NEO only game? Sounds like New 3DS all over again.

How hard is it to read the OP. There will not be exclusive Neo Games. Devs are not allowed to create even exclusive features.

the-one.gif

This is terrible though. I hope incremental upgrades doesn't become a thing with consoles but who am I kidding, it will be because if you want the best of the best when it comes to consoles, you're going with the best. I do have a PC as well but I'm talking about when you want to play the best looking version of a exclusive console game.

Renpatsu

actually it says they want to keep the 2 CONNECTED and prevent devs from separating the online communities... Doesn't mean that they'll prevent 3rd party from going ps4 neo only, but who knows
Given this quote:
Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.
I don't think it'd be unreasonable to assume that a NEO-only game would simply not pass certification at Sony before release, hence no games exclusive to the NEO.

Highly doubtful. The base model will continue to sell extremely well.
Maybe PS4 - but if people just bought a PS4K are they then going to buy a PS5 2 years later? Look at the phone cycle - it is slowing dramatically, in part due to saturation of the market and releases which are too close together prohibiting actual development.

Generational gaps are exciting times - they bump up everyone's expectations of what is possible in games and they also trigger bumps in PC gaming hardware. But if these bumps are going to happen more regularly it puts everyone into a constant upgrade cycle, which is the same thing that happened to phones and now they're stagnating because people have reached "good enough".

StoveOven

Banned
So if the Neo will improve performance, won't that put PS4 users at a disadvantage in competitive online games?

Technically, sure. However, a better player on a Base could still kick my ass on a Neo. Plus, games like Rocket League already have cross-play with PC, where the PS4 player has a disadvantage.

Top Bottom