• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

The idea of Neo only games.

2siqxLk.gif

There needs to be a reasonable trade-in offer.

there won't be any Neo-only games.

typo

PS4 is 176 gb/s I believe

Typo on bandwidth btw, it's 176 -> 218.

I hadn't even considered the typo could be in the original spec. Makes sense. That does seem like a more incremental change, and it sounds like Sony is erring on the conservative side when it comes to Neo Mode improvements.

Two additional thoughts:

1) If games will be mandated to have Neo Mode improvements starting in October, does that mean Sony will have announced the Neo by then? It would be weird for games to come out talking about a Neo mode if Sony hasn't actually acknowledged the existence of the Neo yet, so either it won't be called out on the box art/marketing for fall/winter 2016 games (seems unlikely) or we can assume an E3/Gamescom/Paris announcement for Neo. Of course, that's very late if the release window is in fact Q1 2017, so maybe that's not really new information.

2) If Sony plans to sell the Neo side-by-side with the PS4, at least at first, that has to mean a price drop for the original PS4, right? It's already due for one anyway, and will be even more so in a year, but if Sony wants to differentiate it from the Neo the price difference is going to have to be at least $100, right?

bakedpony

Glad to have held kff on joining the current gen. Hopefully NEO releases this fall and nit next year. I can't imagine Sony not releasing this ASAP since PS4 console sales will definitely take a dip until then.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
But PC gaming is hard! You have to download like... a driver!

It will really suck tho. Even playing field - gone. Buy it at launch and know you're set til the end of the gen - gone. Not to mention the fact that devs are barely given time to optimise for the current platform set-up - imagine Ubi trying to launch Unity across 4 configs + PC when they failed to optimise for 2 + PC.
It may be old news in terms of tech-time but I legitimately bought a PS4 in 2013 as my investment for the next 3-6 years.

I feel like I haven't even gotten my return on that investment yet. I certainly didn't spend the money just for early gen 2013-2015 gaming.

I think this legitimately sucks the momentum out of the golden era that was early PS4 and the new post-humbling Sony. A slide back into hubris... It happens to them all.

Trace

Banned
Wouldn't mind giving another $200 assuming I can trade in my current PS4. Not buying it at full price tho obviously.

Vena

I'm interested in how much the OC'D Jaguar will bottleneck the GPU.

A lot. The upgraded GPU will be all the hungrier, and the faster RAM will be all the more demanding... and the CPU is still an IPC crapshoot.

Shit, this is fine with me. Pretty much a 25% improvement on CPU, and 2.5x improvement for GPU with a huge 12+x leap in memory? Is the PS4 even memory constrained with its GDDR5?

It's definitely not a PS4.5 but a PS4.25

The RAM is not getting increased 12-fold, unless the PS4 was using DDR1. Its a typo. And increasing the clockrate for a terrible CPU, isn't going to magically fix said terrible CPU. The CPU is still going to bottleneck the GPU hard.

Jerm411

I know I'm probably in the minority but this just doesn't make sense to me at all and seems like a huge mistake......

Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

The NEO will not supplant the current PS4, but will exist alongside of it and use the same user environment. The PS4 and NEO will use the same PSN store, connect to the same online communities, and offer the same user experience, so expect to see the same cross media bar that you’re used to. Players will be able to retain all of the purchases they made on the PS4.

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4.

This should alleviate a lot of people's fears and worries.

It may be old news in terms of tech-time but I legitimately bought a PS4 in 2013 as my investment for the next 3-6 years.

I feel like I haven't even gotten my return on that investment yet. I certainly didn't spend the money just for early gen 2013-2015 gaming.

I think this legitimately sucks the momentum out of the golden era that was early PS4 and the new Sony,
Pretty much. This gen is JUST getting started and we're seeing some really nice, well optimised titles for PS4/XB1. I really think this will impact PS4 momentum.

No won't buy this shit. What in the fuck my PS4 is only a year old how dare they make me spend more money in a capitalist economy where I dump $1000 on an iPhone every year!

Day 1 please be real.

Honestly reckon this PS4 is mandatory for VR games. Games can have a VR mode and only the ps4k will do it.

So the user base won't be split but if you want VR then you need a ps4k

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Say hey to 15fps, sub 1080p games on regular PS4.

Nah. My bet is that Sony and Microsoft instruct Devs to continue to target the OG consoles.

The only adjustment to development will be adding a PC like auto-detect to games so that they get a bump on the new consoles.

Wouldn't mind giving another $200 assuming I can trade in my current PS4. Not buying it at full price tho obviously.

You should be able to sell it on the used market for $200, no? Man, the used PS4 market is going to be so saturated, people will be buying $100 used PS4s for secondary machines and laughing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sure I'll consider it at some point in the future and likely be my main driver as long as it still plays all the PS4 games normally and then hands I see no problem. Let the consumer decide which version they want of the platform and don't make it the new de facto and if anything it should compete with anything new or that comes out so everything sounds good so far.

Unless you want to make something out of nothing and complain then okay.

Man, there are going to be a lot of growing pains if this is the direction (and it seems that it is) that the console space is taking.

I'm not outright opposed to it yet, but am certainly curious to see what the ramifications are.

Ramifications are less early adopters that is for damn sure. The exclusives starting out next gen would have to be out of this world good to really entice people.

[Agent]ZeroNine;201311668 said:
This thread is hilarious. Suddenly people can't enjoy their PS4s as is anymore.
Anyways, NEO + PSVR was needed. I'm super hyped.

Yep, base PS4 might need reprojection while Neo will be able to do 90 fps native with downsampling or 120fps native in the same scenarios.

jbug617

Banned
My questions would be:

Will there be separate discs at retail for OG PS4 and NEO?
Would the game disc or download recognize that you are using NEO and turn on NEO mode or would you have to go into options and turn it on?

Top Bottom