• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

mephixto

Banned
Fucking awful if true.

How are Sony going to sell this?

There is literally nothing good that can come out of this. Nobody wanted this console.

Now the devs have to patch their games and create two versions of the same game.

but why?

The PS4 is murdering right now. There is no need for a new console

JUST WAIT UNTIL 2018 and release the PS5 with full backwards compatibility with PS4 games

Jesus, just pretend the Neo is a PS4 slim, case solved.

Neff

Did you read the information? How are they splitting their market?

Because they are no longer getting the same experience, despite purchasing the same game. Player experiences will be divided, and there's a risk from already existing PS4 owners that faith in the longevity of Sony products will falter.

Hydrus

Why? Because his/her own subjective view and opinion are oppsing yours?

Not everyone is all happy sunshine about this thing, mainly because it changes one of the biggest differences between consoles and PCs.

No because it sounds childish. I guess he won't be buying any TV's, phones, head phones, video games, etc from Sony ever again because they are gonna release an improved game console that won't have any effect on his current console, boohoo.

Plum

Does sound interesting. I'm honestly doubting that it's more powerful than a 970, although somewhere around an overclocked 960 sounds right. I love that they aren't allowing any Neo-exclusive games, good call by Sony there.

If it comes out and again devs only put in some nicer shaders and more high-resolution textures I won't be getting it until my current PS4 hits the bucket. Without a 4K TV those upgrades aren't as big to me. I'd much rather buy a Pascal GPU or an NX instead.

Although with this Nintendo's position with the NX is very much screwed in my eyes. Unless it's something BIG that will grab everyone's attention they will never be able to compete with Sony's marketing machine.

mephixto

Banned
Because they are no longer getting the same experience, despite purchasing the same game. Player experiences will be divided, and there's a risk from already existing PS4 owners that faith in the longevity of Sony products will falter.

Nvidia and AMD release new cards on yearly basis, none of their products falter or people losing faith on the brands, on the contrary zealots on each band grew every year.

ironcreed

Banned
i don't really understand how this is making it nintendo's chance to shine, but okay

Well, for someone who likes a full console cycle, they are the only ones actually releasing real new hardware. I already own an Xbox One and PS4 and want games, not upgraded versions of the same systems I just bought not too long ago. Nintendo is the only one I am looking at on the hardware front.

DesuNe

But why though?

The PS4 is outselling nintendo and xbox by millions.

There is no need for this console. 40 million people are happy with their PS4
Presumably because 1) VR and 2) they realise the console market needs to change and this is them getting their "feet wet".

Neff

Nvidia and AMD release new cards on yearly basis, none of their products falter or people losing faith on the brands, on the contrary zealots on each band grew every year.

This is true, but the PC market is a very, very different thing for many reasons.

creatchee

This thread is this:

FTSLhOX.jpg

but full of people who want to do this:

1ODe6Yk.jpg

Jeels

But why though?

It isn't a new console...

It isn't any different than a PS2 slim. The PS2 was selling great before the slim and they made a new model anyway.

Every game will be on both. Why are people so pissed. There's literally no negative here.

Well, for someone who likes a full console cycle, they are the only ones actually releasing real new hardware. I already own an Xbox One and PS4 and want games, not upgraded versions of the same systems I just bought not too long ago. Nintendo is the only one I am looking at on the hardware front.

But if Sony did absolutely nothing your opinion would be the same. So the only other alternative is...PS5? In 2016...?

Raylan

Banned
You didn't want it before it was rumoured to even exist.

You didn't buy the PS4 and go "I wish I could get a new PS4 in two years that is slightly more powerful"

This is going to confuse consumers and piss off early adopters who now have the shit PS4.

You buy a console with the hope that you are getting games that push the console. Now the console you spent 399 on is the worst version.
1. Yes, I didn't want it, because it did not exist. But I knew that I would buy a slim PS4. This is the same, but with upgraded specs. It's coming and I want it. More options? OPTIONS ARE AWESOME. I can buy one and you don't have to. See how cool that is?
2. Not two years. It's ~3 years in October/November 2016. Mid-gen upgrade.
3. I am an early adopter and I'm not pissed.
4. Not confusing at all. Cheaper model = standard performance. Expensive model = better performance.
5. You spent $399. So you had a new console for ~3 years. Nice. Three years later, I pay $399 and get a console with better specs. Good. Should I pay $399, three years later than you and get the same console with the same specs? No. I can get a console with better specs, or your console version, but cheaper. Options! It's nice.

In every gen, people know that a slim model will follow mid-gen. People are still buying the OG console.
Only difference now: The mid-gen model has better specs.
Games will run on both. Everything is fine.

All Nintendo needs to say at E3 is that the NX will be more powerful than a PS4 and wont have a console revision in three years, and I'm there. Fuck this Neo bullshit. Consoles aren't phones and don't need incremental hardware upgrades, unless moving to the next generation.

But why though?

Companies don't sleep on their success. They need to risk to see if they can expand their market, sometimes it fails, sometimes it works.

I said this when the rumors were first surfacing. If you want to move the generation farther along and have a more powerful version of the base console, I am cool with this if there is a trade in program of sorts.

They have a trade in program for early adopters, keep the same user base between the two versions, and offer the original (the current one) model at a far lower price moving on forward after the upgraded one comes out, it's not a bad idea.

No trade in program or price incentive to switch to this upgraded version, and this is all crap for people who bought into this generation early.

jet1911

It isn't a new console...

It isn't any different than a PS2 slim. The PS2 was selling great before the slim and they made a new model anyway.

Every game will be on both. Why are people so pissed. There's literally no negative here.

Because it's more powerful. Now OG PS4 owner won't be at the top of the console food chain. :(

AlexBasch

Ignorant question that will get me ripped apart by the developers and experts in console making here.

Say, if I'm playing BF5 on my PS4 at less than 60fps, while the PS4K version will be faster and better performing (60FPS and stuff), wouldn't the players on the new console get a big advantage on the OG PS4 ones?

Marlenus

1. Yes, I didn't want it, because it did not exist. But I knew that I would buy a slim PS4. This is the same, but with upgraded specs. It's coming and I want it. More options? OPTIONS ARE AWESOME. I can buy one and you don't have to. See how cool that is?
2. Not two years. It's ~3 years in October/November 2016. Mid-gen upgrade.
3. I am an early adopter and I'm not pissed off.
4. Not confusing at all. Cheaper model = standard performance. Expensive model = better performance.
5. You spent $399. So you had a new console for ~3 years. Nice. Three years later, I pay $399 and get a console with better specs. Good. Should I pay $399, three years later than you and get the same console with the same specs? No. I can get a console with better specs, or your console version, but cheaper. Options! It's nice.

That's how I feel. My PS4 is a noisy beast and I want to replace it and I will with this new model.

You didn't want it before it was rumoured to even exist.

You didn't buy the PS4 and go "I wish I could get a new PS4 in two years that is slightly more powerful"

This is going to confuse consumers and piss off early adopters who now have the shit PS4.

You buy a console with the hope that you are getting games that push the console. Now the console you spent 399 on is the worst version.

Also, resale value of normal PS4 is going to crash. Who is going to want the shit version now?

You literally know less than nothing about the console market, or the wider consumer market for that matter. But 10/10 shitposting.

All Nintendo needs to say at E3 is that the NX will be more powerful than a PS4 and wont have a console revision in three years, and I'm there. Fuck this Neo bullshit. Consoles aren't phones and don't need incremental hardware upgrades, unless moving to the next generation.

Agreed, plus the upgrade in the specs is underwhelming at best. This one is a dud IMO.

Plum

Ignorant question that will get me ripped apart by the developers and experts in console making here.

Say, if I'm playing BF5 on my PS4 at less than 60fps, while the PS4K version will be faster and better performing (60FPS and stuff), wouldn't the players on the new console get a big advantage on the OG PS4 ones?

Not a massive advantage. A skilled Battlefield player could still beat a newer player playing at 30fps with the newer player playing at 144. However, there will be a definite advantage for sure, especially if the games are as framerate-drop filled as Battlefield 4 was.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You are not getting a polaris APU with the PS4 Neo. It's just an upgraded version of the Jaguar.

You do realize Jaguar is the CPU, the GPU is Polaris (we are not getting the Zen CPU) on this APU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/221811/playstation-4k-to-feature-a-2-304-sp-amd-polaris-gpu

Sony's upcoming 4K Ultra HD game console, which its fans are referring to as the "PlayStation 4K," while being internally referred to by Sony as "NEO," could feature a very powerful GPU. AMD could custom-design the SoC that drives the console, to feature an 8-core 64-bit x86 CPU based on the "Jaguar" micro-architecture, running at 2.10 GHz; and a GPU component featuring 36 compute units based on "next-generation Graphics CoreNext" architecture.

36 next-gen GCN compute units sounds an awful lot like the specs of the Polaris10 "Ellesmere" chip in its Radeon R9 480 configuration, working out to a stream processor count of 2,304 - double that of the 1,152 on the current-gen PlayStation 4. The SoC is also rumored to feature a 256-bit GDDR5 memory interface holding 8 GB of memory. This memory will be used as both system and video memory, just like on the current-gen PlayStation 4. The memory bandwidth will be increased to 218 GB/s from the current 176 GB/s. Besides 4K Ultra HD gaming, this chip could also prepare Sony for VR headsets, leveraging AMD's LiquidVR tech.

Bolded is very interesting.

But why though?

They're tired of resetting everything to zero every time they launch a new console. This will bring stability to the market for them, publishers, developers, and consumers.

Install bases will essentially never shrink again as long as they don't lose out to another console manufacturer. Developers and publishers will have all those people to sell to, so they can make more long term bets and find new audiences. Consumers will benefit from healthy mature markets that every developer will want to bring their games into.

Freeman

Banned
If you skiped the Wiiu sure, else Nintendo console cycles are usually the shortest.

Marlenus

Depends if devs force multiplayer parity or not. Also this is no different to playing MP on a PC.

Raylan

Banned
That's how I feel. My PS4 is a noisy beast and I want to replace it and I will with this new model.
Yep! You see, more options for you. It's nice!

You can buy:
A) A new OG PS4 for less money (less than the launch price day 1)
B) The mid-gen slim model (with a bit more power this time)

pastrami

3 years is way too early. But 4 years? What a nice long and full console cycle.

Caja 117

Is there is anything that assure me that they are not going to be PS4.5 exclusive games? I'm not interested in upgrading to have better graphic, but I don't want to be forced to buy a console because one of my favorite games will not be getting released on PS4.

One thing is for sure. The PS5 won't have as successful of a launch as the PS4. Not if people know they can wait three years for a more powerful version.

I mean, think about the value proposition for a minute. Presumably $400 dollars for a slightly better experience.

$400 buys a lot of games.

AlexBasch

Not a massive advantage. A skilled Battlefield player could still beat a newer player playing at 30fps with the newer player playing at 144. However, there will be a definite advantage for sure, especially if the games are as framerate-drop filled as Battlefield 4 was.
It's a lame excuse, but it was pretty much why I never played competitive stuff on PC. Always thought that not having a 60fps/1080p (or the PC equivalent) computer would put me in a bad position against people with better specs.

Depends if devs force multiplayer parity or not. Also this is no different to playing MP on a PC.
Yeah, this was kinda my point. Again, it's more of a personal worry/opinion rather than condemning the existence of the PS4K; hell, I played Dragon Age Inquisition in the PS3. Think I can handle the shit version and just stick to non-mp games if the advantage is way too big. :p

John Wick

And the boost isn't even that big enough based on these rumors for 1080p 60fps. If anything you may get more stable performance and other graphical bells and whistles, but people thinking this will replace the OG model have no leg to stand on right now.

Lol! This shit needs to stop. Based on what makes you think the Neo PS4 can't do 1080p @ 60fps? Star Wars battlefront manges it fine on PS4. With 33% CPU power increase and double GPU performance and devs with much better experience coding to the consoles why can't 1080p @ 60fps be possible on Neo???

Its getting ridiculous

platocplx

They're tired of resetting everything to zero every time they launch a new console. This will bring stability to the market for them, publishers, developers, and consumers.

Install bases will essentially never shrink again as long as they don't lose out to another console manufacturer. Developers and publishers will have all those people to sell to, so they can make more long term bets and find new audiences. Consumers will benefit from healthy mature markets that every developer will want to bring their games into.

Exactly if they are treating PlayStation's OS as a platform and the hardware isnt as married to it anymore this would drastically reduce development costs etc for the company. As a small shareholder I amd very happy with this if this is their ultimate goal.

Top Bottom