• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

Hexa

Is there is anything that assure me that they are not going to be PS4.5 exclusive games? I'm not interested in upgrading to have better graphic, but I don't want to be forced to buy a console because one of my favorite games will not be getting released on PS4.

The leak says Sony won't allow PS4K exclusive games or any exclusive content/modes in PS4K.

Ishida

Banned
Because people don't read the OP and even when they do they disregard it by saying "that's not how it'll play out."

And suddenly they are also expert market analysts, and they are also expert game developers, and they know exactly how much of an upgrade games will have.

Browsing GAF can sometimes be a cringe-worthy experience...

Cynn

Lol! This shit needs to stop. Based on what makes you think the Neo PS4 can't do 1080p @ 60fps? Star Wars battlefront manges it fine on PS4. With 33% CPU power increase and double GPU performance and devs with much better experience coding to the consoles why can't 1080p @ 60fps be possible on Neo???

Its getting ridiculous
Battlefront runs at 900p on PS4.

NHale

You're looking at them.

Not really. The real reaction from the current 40M PS4 owners will be when the PS5 releases. If Sony manages to sell 30M PS5 basic version in 2 years then this was a success, if people just keep waiting for the PS5MasterConsole to launch 3 years later then it was a failure.

Like when the PS3 slim, or PS2 slim, or the PSOne stopped people to buy the OG console version, right?

Are you seriously saying this is like the Slim versions? Really?

ironcreed

Banned
If you skiped the Wiiu sure, else Nintendo console cycles are usually the shortest.

No, I had the Wii U, but bailed once I knew NX was coming. My point is that NX is a totally new system, not an upgraded Wii U. That is why it is the only real new hardware that I am interested in. I don't need upgraded versions of the same systems that I already own. I just want games for them.

Like when the PS3 slim, or PS2 slim, or the PSOne stopped people to buy the OG console version, right?

Because the slim revisions for the PS2 and PS3 are 1:1 with the PS4 Neo upgrade.

Do you think the Slim revisions are the same thing as making a more powerful revision?

Boke1879

Lol! This shit needs to stop. Based on what makes you think the Neo PS4 can't do 1080p @ 60fps? Star Wars battlefront manges it fine on PS4. With 33% CPU power increase and double GPU performance and devs with much better experience coding to the consoles why can't 1080p @ 60fps be possible on Neo???

Its getting ridiculous

At the end of it all your ps4 games will be fine and NEO will have the bells and whistles. Higher framerate/resolution.

But people acting like their ps4 games will run at 15fps are talking nothing but nonsense

Raylan

Banned
Not really. The real reaction from the current 40M PS4 owners will be when the PS5 releases. Let's see how many will line up to buy a console with 20 games at launch instead of waiting for the upgraded console version 3 years later....
I guess the same people, that did not wait for a slim-model / a cheaper price and went day 1.

Plum

It's a lame excuse, but it was pretty much why I never played competitive stuff on PC. Always thought that not having a 60fps/1080p (or the PC equivalent) computer would put me in a bad position against people with better specs.

The thing is if you've got a half-decent rig you can play most of the popular PC shooters at 1080p/60fps. Everything but maybe Battlefield (although that's really well optimized) is made so everyone with more than a $100 laptop with 400mhz of RAM and a 1-core CPU will be able to get 60fps at at least 720p. Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, Overwatch, Starcraft, etc are all very undemanding games.

Caja 117

Consoles are the dinosaurs of the electronics, every other device upgrade every year, even cars realease yearly revisions of their models.

Wut? don't compare a car to a console, cars are machines that lose value and based on mileage and use history can have performance issue (not to mention its a mean of transportation and a necessity for most households), so a Yearly release of Car make sense when in a year is easy to put 40k miles on a car in a country like US.... what a bad comparison,

Doesn't this happen in the mobile scene already? iPhone 6 games can run on iPhone 5 but...ughh...do you really want to?

Could be wrong and I agree it would be suicide.

It happened with the new 3ds and the old 3ds.

It was mentioned in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2HO9eNzRA and in this article https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2HO9eNzRA .

I could see it happening with some games probably not very popular ones. Even if the game is not popular I could see some anger over it. It also depends on how much the new playstation sales in the future. If it is a lot, it could be that some developers would focus on some level on the ps4k, and down port. Either way there is no guarantee if any of that happens, if some developers focus on the ps4 in the future or not.

Daffy Duck

May have been tidied up already but when this thing is out will there be just one ps4 game and on that disc it will decide which version to serve up based on the machine being used?

Raylan

Banned
Are you seriously saying this is like the Slim versions? Really?
Because the slim revisions for the PS2 and PS3 are 1:1 with the PS4 Neo upgrade.

Do you think the Slim revisions are the same thing as making a more powerful revision?
Almost the same, yeah. You can keep the OG model and play your games. Or you can buy the new mid-gen model and still.... play the same games. Only difference is, the mid-gen model is more expensive and will run games with better performance.

Neff

Consoles are the dinosaurs of the electronics, every other device upgrade every year, even cars realease yearly revisions of their models.

It's different because consoles are luxury entertainment products. A lot of console buyers are not enthusiasts, or loyal, and I'm not sure console manufacturers can afford to play so fast and loose with their customers in this way, at least not at a $300-400 price range. We'll see.

PlayStation will be a service one day. You sign contracts and get updates consoles and only pay the tax on the upgrades after signing for 2 more years.

We're already well on the way to considering games and movies a disposable, forgettable pastime, and I'm quite open about disliking the idea. I like to buy and keep my enterteinment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Its getting ridiculous

Yeah, it is getting out of hand.

Just like when they said before the PS4 came out, we would barely see 1080p games, it was not enough juice. Yawn.

mephixto

Banned
How exactly will this affect multiplayer in games? You're at a disadvantage if don't have the neo ps4 as far as frame rates?

Uncharted 4 multiplayer is 60fps but without shine of the single player portion, now on the Neo is still a 60fps experience but with probably the same graphics of the single player.

Notice that I believe that the Neo will allow 1080p at 60 fps but with the same graphics of a normal PS4 that will only output 30fps and w/e resolution it comes to the OG PS4.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
It's gonna be tricky for those that want to keep playing their PS4 but want to sell it before the price crashes to fund the purchase of a Neo.

longdi

Banned
One thing is for sure. The PS5 won't have as successful of a launch as the PS4. Not if people know they can wait three years for a more powerful version.

Yes this. No one besides the super hard cores will jump in as first adopters now. Given that first gen games are teh sucky, makes no logical sense to buy PS5 going forward, as such the early userbase will be teh sucky for big budget releases.

That means....Sony is killing the console industry! lolwut!

Reg

Banned
You didn't want it before it was rumoured to even exist.

You didn't buy the PS4 and go "I wish I could get a new PS4 in two years that is slightly more powerful"

This is going to confuse consumers and piss off early adopters who now have the shit PS4.

You buy a console with the hope that you are getting games that push the console. Now the console you spent 399 on is the worst version.

Also, resale value of normal PS4 is going to crash. Who is going to want the shit version now?

These meltdowns are truly delicious.

How exactly will this affect multiplayer in games? You're at a disadvantage if don't have the neo ps4 as far as frame rates?

This is like the only thing that kinda irks me.

Theoretically say BF5 runs at 1080p 60fps on the Neo and 900P 30fps on the OG.

Does Sony allow both to play online with different framerates?

Does Sony nerf the Neo experience and cap players at 30fps online?

Does Sony cut textures and resolutions to bring the OG players up to 60fps online?

pastrami

It happened with the new 3ds and the old 3ds.

It was mentioned in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2HO9eNzRA and in this article https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2HO9eNzRA .

I could see it happening with some games probably not very popular ones. Even if the game is not popular I could see some anger over it. It also depends on how much the new playstation sales in the future. If it is a lot, it could be that some developers would focus on some level on the ps4k, and down port. Either way there is no guarantee if any of that happens, if some developers focus on the ps4 in the future or not.

Do you think that Hyrule Warrior would have run at 30fps if the N3DS didn't exist? Or should the N3DS and the game not exist at all? Should it have been a N3DS exclusive and not offered a subpar version for 3DS owners?

What's the "right" thing to do?

EhUlwqF.gif

..same again for PS4K when released?

'merica

Swass

Not as much difference as people are implying.. 360 Elite added HDMI, bigger hard drive, slim design, built in wifi, etc, the original 360 owners game play didn't change because of this machine and neither will original PS4 owners.

Almost the same, yeah. You can keep the OG model and play your games. Or you can buy the new mid-gen model and still.... play the same games. Only difference is, the mid-gen model is more expensive and will run games with better performance.

You are really downplaying the huge difference, being performance and overall visuals. As much as you like to "think" this PS4 Neo upgrade is like a "Slim" revision, it's not. Not even close. Please stop spreading misinformation. It's practically a lie.

Jeels

So Final Fantasy XV is missing the requirement by one day...I really really hope it takes advantage of PS4K because that game really needs it...

Can you please name me what Slim console model actually made games look and run better?

Why does it matter if a game looks or runs better in the context of every PS4 owner is still getting continued support on every title. What exactly is the complaint because detractors have not been clear at all other than being disappointed that there is better hardware out there?

mephixto

Banned
This is like the only thing that kinda irks me.

Theoretically say BF5 runs at 1080p 60fps on the Neo and 900P 30fps on the OG.

Does Sony allow both to play online with different framerates?

Does Sony nerf the Neo experience and cap players at 30fps online?

Does Sony cut textures and resolutions to bring the OG players up to 60fps online?

Or buff the BF4 Neo with better IQ but at 30fps. But I doubt old titles will patch something, in the case of BF4 its probably the same game on both consoles.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not just pushed hard, it'll quickly become the defacto standard. Maybe not over night, but gradually over a year or two. Like the 360 Core ("'tard pack"), or 20GB PS3, PS4 base will be a SKU no one wants and retailers don't want to stock.

This literally makes NO sense. It will literally play EVERY single PS4 game for less than $300.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pretty strange they upgraded the GCN cores massively but kept the bandwidth so low....

Depends if the architecture has been updated with compression.

GCN-Color.png

Color compression. Frame buffer data is now stored in a lossless compressed format and the GPU can read and write compressed data. This leads to substantial bandwidth efficiency gains and allows AMD to shrink the memory bus from 384 bits to 256 bits.

Do you think that Hyrule Warrior would have run at 30fps if the N3DS didn't exist? Or should the N3DS and the game not exist at all? Should it have been a N3DS exclusive and not offered a subpar version for 3DS owners?

What's the "right" thing to do?

Sounds like you being defensive all I showed is that it happened before, where the original was worse than the new version for whatever the reason is, lol. The "right" thing to do is what Sony, the publishers, and developers do, whatever they do is really is the "right" way remains to seen.

Ishida

Banned
So Final Fantasy XV is missing the requirement by one day...I really really hope it takes advantage of PS4K because that game really needs it...

"Additionally, games released in the late September window will require a day one patch that updates them to NEO standards. "

If this is truly enforced, then Square will be required to patch the game to meet the NEO standards.

It's funny how the existence of a slightly more powerful PS4 makes the current model "shit," as some members put it. Do you consider it "shit" now?

Jeels

"Additionally, games released in the late September window will require a day one patch that updates them to NEO standards. "

If this is truly enforced, then Square will be required to patch the game to meet the NEO standards.

Oh cool, I didn't see that bit. Hopefully they do it soon then because I am willing to wait a bit for a superior experience. After waiting since 2006 a few extra months won't be a big deal.

Raylan

Banned
Can you please name me what Slim console model actually made games look and run better?
=

You are really downplaying the huge difference, being performance and overall visuals. As much as you like to "think" this PS4 Neo upgrade is like a "Slim" revision, it's not. Not even close. Please stop spreading misinformation. It's practically a lie.
Love this part.
Stop being angry because people, who pay more (or the same price, three years later), can now play their games with better graphics.

Top Bottom