• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

Read the full article:

VR:

4K:

I figured as much for 4K screens. This machine isn't going to push native 4K for the majority of its retail library with specs like that. And as for VR, that seems a little head scratching to me. It seems like this would be the machine you would want to own for a better VR experience.

DSix

Banned
Why not just wait 3 more years and release a PS5? Those mid-gen consoles make no sense for anybody (especially not for developers who have all the incentives to not target the PS4K ever at all (easier to dev and release and bigger install base on PS4 anyways)).

Fredrik

I wonder how that "No Exclusives" rule translates when it comes to VR titles.
Like any other multiplat released on a superior and inferior platform. Great version - not so great version. And the OG PS4 owners just got punked, the definitive console VR experience will be elsewhere or yet another $399 investment needs to be made.

Azerare

Well... time to finally commit and build a PC. I'm not for having these iPhone esque iterations with consoles. I wonder how there plans to not shun the "base" player base will truly fan out.

What I really wanna know is how significant of an upgrade will this NEO be? Will games be able to run at 4K/60fps?

No way in hell. I doubt the PS5 will be able to do that either.

PCs with graphics cards more expensive than the PS4 still struggle on that front, and they don't have to worry about the low power draw and small size of a console.

grtkbrandon

Neo Member
What I really wanna know is how significant of an upgrade will this NEO be? Will games be able to run at 4K/60fps?

Someone how I think this NEO won't be the massive upgrade I expected it to be. I think the games tailor made for this console will run more consistently at 1080p/60fps.

I wonder of this spur MS and Phil Spencer to also make a new upgrade a new box, midway though the console cycle.

This is shaping up to be the most interesting console generation yet.

Games will definitely not run at 4K and especially not at 60 fps. The GPU specs leave a lot to the imagination, so it's hard to really judge, but it doesn't seem to be a huge increase in performance. These people saying the base PS4 is dead are getting ahead of themselves. As a PC gamer, this thread has been fun to watch so far.

xevis

Banned
No one Sony disallowed devs doing that. Did you not even bother to read the op?

I missed the part about no Neo exclusives. I remain skeptical though. What's the motivation to develop beyond the base specs? New 3DS already shows there's not much incentive to add extra content that only part of the audience will be able to experience.

I'd imagine that they would much rather continue to sell original PS4s for <=$199 and Neos for <=$399.

They'd be cannibalizing their own sales. I fully expect the old PS4 to disappear rather than be discounted.

PS4 was Mark Cerny's baby.

PS4 NEO, we all know whos idea this was.

djWxDdi.jpg

belmonkey

With those specs, it looks like it'd make sense to up current games to 1440p and upscale to 4k (like how last gen 720p games were upscaled 2.25x to 1080p), whilst having a more stable fps.

Orayn

Hard to say without knowing the full details, but I don't expect this to run a whole lot of native 4K games. We'll definitely see a good number at 1440p and other intermediate resolutions, maybe a few that could be patched from 1080p30 to 60 if they were GPU rather than limited before. Total amount of memory could still be an issue, since going from 1080p to 4K can be easily mean a 50% increase in VRAM usage on PC.

I guess this is the middle scenario laid out by Digital Foundry: A moderate incremental upgrade that improves high res and VR support but mostly stays in the same footprint. I'd call it a PS4.3 or 4.4.

KyleCross

The end of "buy it and you're set" consoles as we know it.

I hate this. If I wanted to join the technological power rat race I'd just get into PC gaming.

Yep. That is why I've always been a console gamer, it's simple. I know I could get a better experience on PC, but the ease-of-use of consoles just outweighs that. This was the first console generation in which I had the financial ability to go all-in and feel at peace knowing I'm solid for about 8 years. Before this I only owned a single console each gen and often a good 4-5 years after it came out. But now here I am with everything for the first time and what happens? The Wii-U got crap support, with the next Nintendo console coming only 4-5 years later. The Xbox One has only a handful of solid exclusives and Microsoft is throwing things to the wall to see what sticks in regards to their video game future, and the PS4 is now getting a better version 3 years after it came out for the same price as I bought the "regular" for.

It's my fault, guys. Things kinda went to shit after acquiring all the current-gen consoles, I take full responsibility.

The specs look pretty similar to me. To those that are tech savvy, how much of a difference is the PS Neo? Will we be playing TW3 and Bloodborne at 60fps, or will the differences be negligible?

I'm not extremely tech savy but I'm sure this is a no.

Maybesew

Well... time to finally commit and build a PC. I'm not for having these iPhone esque iterations with consoles. I wonder how there plans to not shun the "base" player base will truly fan out.

Yeah seriously. These platforms with regular upgrades to CPU and GPU are for the birds.

badb0y

You people downplaying the upgrades being serious here?

The jump in GPU is about 100%~ and CPU looks like it was clocked straight up by about 30%~.

For reference Intel has been squeezing us with 5% improvements for like the last 5 years and I don't think the GTX 980 Ti is even 100% faster than the GTX 780 Ti.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Love that they aren't fragmenting the userbase, but don't love the incremental upgrade. Doesn't seem anywhere near worth it.

SerTapTap

With those specs, it looks like it'd make sense to up current games to 1440p and upscale to 4k (like how last gen 720p games were upscaled 2.25x to 1080p), whilst having a more stable fps.

1440p is around double the pixel count of 1080p. I really doubt this thing would push that on a game that's running 1080p now with better framerate to boot.

DavidDesu

CPU numbers are disappointing and so is the low bandwidth increase. Overall GPU improvements seem decent enough but CPU will continue to be the thing that holds the system back. I also really hope they will bump up internal IO interface to full SATA3 or higher, it's cheap enough now days.

Surely the CPU being a moderate improvement helps them to reel in developer's ambitions for the console. GPU improvements directly increase framerate and resolution possibilities, huge CPU increases fundamentally alters the possible types of games we could see on the device which would be impossible to achieve well on the base PS4. I think it's a clever push toward better performance but without altering the "deal" too much and keep the games able to run well on both but with effectively higher settings a la PC games.

RoKKeR

I guess I still don't see the point. Were people asking for this?

After chewing on this a bit more, this is kind of where I stand right now. I understand that they player base has to stay unified and Sony's decision to require the "Base" version of each is probably the right one for this situation, but I'm still confused at why this thing exists. I suppose "because people will buy it" is an acceptable answer, but the extent of that remains to be seen.

My main question is that if developers and publishers were asking for more power, doesn't the "Base" version inherently limit what they can do with the upgraded specs of the NEO? No matter how good the specs of the NEO are, that "Base" version will always be lingering. Anybody have further insight on this?

I was wondering why the other thread was moving so slowly, ha.

Anyways, sounds like a solid upgrade to me. Timing and price is going to be key.

grtkbrandon

Neo Member
You people downplaying the upgrades being serious here?

The jump in GPU is about 100%~ and CPU looks like it was clocked straight up by about 30%~.

For reference Intel has been squeezing us with 5% improvements for like the last 5 years and I don't think the GTX 980 Ti is even 100% faster than the GTX 780 Ti.

I don't think you know how any of this works.

Averon

This is a great chance of MS to regain the specs advantage if they decided to go with Zen and Polaris with the Xbox1.5, assuming they're willing the spend the money and can ensure BC with the OG Xbox One.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Isn't that for VR only?

No, it's across the board:
In the documents we&#8217;ve received, Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this. 4K TV owners should expect the NEO to upscale games to fit the format, but one place Sony is unwilling to bend is on frame rate. Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

Coffinhal

Like any other multiplat released on a superior and inferior platform. Great version - not so great version. And the OG PS4 owners just got punked, the definitive console VR experience will be elsewhere or yet another $399 investment needs to be made.

Definitive ? No, the "definitive" VR experience will come with the PSVR2, in 2019. So the Neo_PS4 owners will got punched.

or maybe with PSVR2.5 and PS5. I don't know.

Welfare

Entertainment box made by entertainment company Sony will receive an upgrade box for high end entertainment like 4K media playback, VR, and buzzword.

More news at 11.

And it won't "backfire" or be a "disaster".

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What I don't understand about this rumor is, why would they double the number of CUs (and bump the clock speed) on the GCU more than doubling it's performance, but leave the RAM almost the same and barely improve the CPU? Feels mismatched, something like 28CUs might have been a better fit and cheaper.

Sirim

"Neo Mode" better mean 1080p/60fps for every fucking game! No more bullshit. this should have been the standard for the reg PS4.
If the article is correct in that the requirement is for the NEO version to have the same or higher frame-rate as the base model, then I can almost guarantee you that developers will shoot for 4K resolution rather than shooting for 60fps, if the base version runs at 30fps.

Top Bottom